Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Sort of related, apparently Polestar 2s can't use Electrify America chargers due to a firmware incompatibility. Someone rented one on EV discord I'm on, and they had to call Polestar to ask why it wouldn't charge. Polestar rep confirmed it as a known issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Westy543 posted:

Sort of related, apparently Polestar 2s can't use Electrify America chargers due to a firmware incompatibility. Someone rented one on EV discord I'm on, and they had to call Polestar to ask why it wouldn't charge. Polestar rep confirmed it as a known issue.

Iso15118 lmao. gently caress Elam

Edit:
Fun fact: I was in on the meetings when Elam decided to use hub project as their iso15118 certificate authority. I strongly advised against using them as they seemed really scummy. Turns out they are!

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Mar 30, 2021

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

DoomTrainPhD posted:

- Charging standards are very new
- Not many manufactures actually implement the standards correctly.

Which is why Tesla (and Rivian) are rolling their own. Barring some sort of federal standard that car manufacturers must adhere to (and thus can be fined, etc, for failing to meet them), they have no incentive to fix quirks, and as admirable as Rivian's plan is to run an open network is, it seems destined for failure as the effort validating every firmware of every vehicle to allow access seems insurmountable.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Qwijib0 posted:

Which is why Tesla (and Rivian) are rolling their own. Barring some sort of federal standard that car manufacturers must adhere to (and thus can be fined, etc, for failing to meet them), they have no incentive to fix quirks, and as admirable as Rivian's plan is to run an open network is, it seems destined for failure as the effort validating every firmware of every vehicle to allow access seems insurmountable.

There’s plenty of areas where we have achieved reasonable standardization absent federal mandates, particularly in the technology space, so while it may not happen as quickly as desirable there’s no reason to assume the Balkanization continues forever.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Oh I guess Kia's thing was today. Video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_aOOAa-Q2k

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Hm, I think I have to get used to that rear end. The rest of it looks good though.

Edit: Ok I think I like it in the dark colours. Cool features as well.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Mar 30, 2021

stevewm
May 10, 2005

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Iso15118 lmao. gently caress Elam

Edit:
Fun fact: I was in on the meetings when Elam decided to use hub project as their iso15118 certificate authority. I strongly advised against using them as they seemed really scummy. Turns out they are!

Could you give a rundown on the differences between the 2.. ISO15118 and the other one?

From what I was looking, the DIN protocol doesn't do plug and charge?

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Westy543 posted:

:psyduck:

Lmao.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Qwijib0 posted:

I mean, the IONITY network in Europe is based on CCS and has buy-in from VW/Audi group, BMW, Mercedes, Ford, and Hyundai, and there's nothing really stopping GM/Ford/Stellantis from doing the same in the U.S.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

stevewm posted:

Could you give a rundown on the differences between the 2.. ISO15118 and the other one?

From what I was looking, the DIN protocol doesn't do plug and charge?

Yep. Other than a few message strings being flipped around, iso15118 is Din70121 with plug and charge tacked on.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

harperdc posted:

there's nothing really stopping GM/Ford/Stellantis from doing the same in the U.S.

Money and wanting to squeeze as much blood from the stones that live in america?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
nope

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 6, 2022

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Qwijib0 posted:

Which is why Tesla (and Rivian) are rolling their own.

I'm pretty sure charging standards for over 100kW weren't even a thing when Tesla was developing the Supercharger.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Cockmaster posted:

I'm pretty sure charging standards for over 100kW weren't even a thing when Tesla was developing the Supercharger.

Correct. Tesla rolling their own was an insanely good idea.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

gwrtheyrn posted:

Oh I guess Kia's thing was today. Video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_aOOAa-Q2k
The GT version is 577 HP 0-60 in 3.5 seconds.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

That GT version sounds like a lot of fun, and I like Kia's styling more than the Ioniq. Looking forward to seeing more detailed specs and pricing.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Volkswagen is renaming to Voltswagen in the US. Apparently this is NOT an April Fools. https://media.vw.com/en-us/releases/1499

https://twitter.com/auto_schmidt/status/1376835319518093312

Also Toyota and Tesla are in talks for a collab again. https://www.electrive.com/2021/03/30/tesla-toyota-consider-joint-suv-development/

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Rusty posted:

The GT version is 577 HP 0-60 in 3.5 seconds.

:eyepop: hachi machi!

Yeah I know what I’m saving for now :dance:

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Money and wanting to squeeze as much blood from the stones that live in america?

I don’t think any of these companies have a desire to build their own, proprietary, capital intensive charger network, but they do have an interest in selling electric cars that people can actually charge. So getting onboard with a standard seems like the best way to make money.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Bandire posted:

That GT version sounds like a lot of fun, and I like Kia's styling more than the Ioniq. Looking forward to seeing more detailed specs and pricing.

We got pricing here in Sweden. It appears we get the big battery in three different versions:
RWD, 229hp 570k SEK
AWD, 325hp 675k SEK
GT AWD, 584hp, 750k SEK

For comparison a base 77kWh ID4 RWD costs around 510k SEK.

I imagine the Kia has a better base spec though.

I think the GT version is reasonably priced (although they will have a hard time selling a Kia anything for that much) compared to the competition. But gently caress it's a lot of money.

On another EV note, my ID4 (RWD, 1st Ed, Glacier White) was born on the 24th this month and is currently sitting in a German harbor waiting for a ride here. So hopefully will have it in my driveway in 2-3 weeks.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Westy543 posted:

Volkswagen is renaming to Voltswagen in the US. Apparently this is NOT an April Fools. https://media.vw.com/en-us/releases/1499

https://twitter.com/auto_schmidt/status/1376835319518093312

Also Toyota and Tesla are in talks for a collab again. https://www.electrive.com/2021/03/30/tesla-toyota-consider-joint-suv-development/

A BEV Prius that can use the Tesla Superchargers would literally fly out of dealerships.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

750k SEK is about 85k USD? drat will that be the most expensive kia ever or was the cadenza or k900 more?

Still for that kind of specs it is up against audi and potentially even porsche. (Driving handling TBD)

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

VideoGameVet posted:

A BEV Prius that can use the Tesla Superchargers would literally fly out of dealerships.

It wouldnt even make it to dealerships, they would get sold as they come out of the factory. Literally lines of people waiting outside the door of the factory to get one.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

priznat posted:

750k SEK is about 85k USD? drat will that be the most expensive kia ever or was the cadenza or k900 more?

Still for that kind of specs it is up against audi and potentially even porsche. (Driving handling TBD)

Well, cars are generally a fair bit more expensive here. Just look at the relative #s compared to some known entity like the ID4. I imagine the GT will land around 60k or so over there. But I doubt you can get one before 2023.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

If Kia's ever going to be well-known as a luxury brand it should be now since they're killing it vs most European brands' electric offerings.

I just wonder about Kia's production numbers. Back in 2018, I hoped I could get a Nero EV but they never had plans on selling in my state so I got a Tesla instead. Will they actually make enough for everyone who wants to buy one?

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Nfcknblvbl posted:

If Kia's ever going to be well-known as a luxury brand it should be now since they're killing it vs most European brands' electric offerings.

I just wonder about Kia's production numbers. Back in 2018, I hoped I could get a Nero EV but they never had plans on selling in my state so I got a Tesla instead. Will they actually make enough for everyone who wants to buy one?

I don't think these vehicles should be considered "luxury" vehicles despite their high prices. If you compare the interior and build with a BMW or Mercedes (excepting the cheapest versions) I think you'll find some difference.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Clayton Bigsby posted:

I don't think these vehicles should be considered "luxury" vehicles despite their high prices. If you compare the interior and build with a BMW or Mercedes (excepting the cheapest versions) I think you'll find some difference.

Luxury is a relative experience but Kia's been trying to establish themselves that way for quite some time now. While their interior quality may not completely stack up to BMW, their features are formidable.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

VideoGameVet posted:

Apparently it's a BEV crossover - maybe a RAV4? But honestly, yeah, getting Toyota BEVs on the superchargers would catapult them way the gently caress ahead of the competition in terms of usability.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Luxury is a relative experience but Kia's been trying to establish themselves that way for quite some time now. While their interior quality may not completely stack up to BMW, their features are formidable.

Maybe they have a different lineup in the US but here they are firmly in the "nicer budget vehicle" segment still. With the exception of the Stinger it's really only the EVs that can be considered expensive. A plain hybrid Niro costs about half of a Niro EV. Hyundai is about the same. I drove a Kona EV the other day (the "Premium Plus" or "Advanced" or whatever the gently caress they are called) and while it looked pretty nice you could tell it was put together with fairly inexpensive plastic materials inside.

But yeah, you get a lot of features for the $ for sure.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Mercedes, BMW, and even Audi really only start getting "nice" inside once you're in the E-class/5-series/A6 snack bracket. Anything smaller than that doesn't live up to the hype.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Kia does have the K900, and that starts at $60k. So it's not like they only have budget luxury cars. I'm sure even the K900 makes some sacrifices to stack up to a 7 series or an S class but hey, it's ballin' on a budget!

Edit: The EV6 GT exists in a weird segment. It's got about the same specs on paper as a Y performance but costs about $20k more.

Nfcknblvbl fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Mar 30, 2021

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The interior of my top line Soul is pretty nice, IMO, but I can only compare it to older luxury cars. The lower trim was okay but not anything special (fine by me) when I rented one. The ergonomic position of all the buttons could be better though. Hiding the heated steering wheel button out of sight is stupid.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Westy543 posted:

Apparently it's a BEV crossover - maybe a RAV4? But honestly, yeah, getting Toyota BEVs on the superchargers would catapult them way the gently caress ahead of the competition in terms of usability.

Nobody mind me I'm just daydreaming of Toyota seeing the light, abandoning hydrogen as an alternative fuel, and partnering with tesla on manufacturing and support in exchange for supercharger access and battery manufacturing capacity..

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Cash injection to the supercharger network from Toyota would be good too. Might be the straw that enables CCS cars to link with the Tesla network. Would be a giant boon to EV adoption if the number of available DCFC stalls doubled or tripled overnight.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Yeah. Most of the cars have to have significant cost cutting since they are lugging around 10-15k worth of batteries. Polestar for example has wonderful design (in my opinion) which hides a lot of it but material choice compared to a 60K BMW, Audi, or even Volvo is a step below.
The ID3 is a great example where the interior cost cutting is not hidden as well.
most EV makers seem to be hoping their target market values the cars tech rather than traditional luxury finishing for the price point.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
I remain flabbergasted that BMW is still considered a luxury brand and that people consider their interiors/materials to be nice.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I actually really like my kia (sx trim), it has some of my favourite soft touch plastics I’ve experienced. The one thing I find that separates it from higher end is the motors for stuff like the sunroof and rear hatch are kind of loud whereas on a fancier crossover like an x5 they’re quiet. But I’m fine with it. I used to buy lightly used bmws and audis and overall much prefer just getting a new kia or similar for less (more depreciation though) going forward. That depreciation would get eaten up by bmw/audi maintenance pretty fast!

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

A coworker of mine has a Mercedes S class, it's nice but he told me that he got it for $40k off original price and it was only a year old. Now that's depreciation!

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

MrLogan posted:

I remain flabbergasted that BMW is still considered a luxury brand and that people consider their interiors/materials to be nice.
Because they see one with a 25k premium package on it & think that trickles down. Even the base interior on a 911 is comparable to a Civic these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Nfcknblvbl posted:

A coworker of mine has a Mercedes S class, it's nice but he told me that he got it for $40k off original price and it was only a year old. Now that's depreciation!

Oh yeah I meant me buying a bmw 2-3 years old so it already absorbs that massive hit. After that it depreciates fairly slowly. Lux cars are horrible dropoffs the first couple years!