Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Boxing 2021: In With The Old

https://twitter.com/MikeCoppinger/status/1375566649453993985?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

The Ninth Layer posted:

I felt the same way about Roy Jones tbh.

Roy went from looking like literally the most impressive human being to ever compete in any combat sport, to looking like one of the least impressive at any level. He seems ok to me mentally/verbally, but his "performances" in the ring are so humiliating at this point that he should absolutely never fight again. He moves like a 70 year old apartment superintendent and honestly looks like he somehow entirely forgot how to box.

Oscar de la Hoya coming back is also weird. Maybe he can get Felix Trinidad out of retirement for a fight.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Word on the street is that it's a rematch against Fernando Vargas

Also the fact that this was announced at the Jake Paul - Ben Askren presser means that not only will Triller certainly be involved in De La Hoya's comeback; they will probably be involved with Golden Boy once their contract with DAZN runs out. Would be right in their wheelhouse to have Ryan Garcia on their platform.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Boxing has always been a farce but at least it’s not pretending anymore

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

holding out hope for de la hoya-sturm ii

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

What I heard is it might be against Marcos Maidana, who reportedly is looking in good shape in the gym.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Dillian Whyte just knocked Alexander Povetkin out in 4, who frankly never looked right throughout the fight. Maybe it was COVID after effects, maybe it was the fact that Povetkin is into his 40s and has had a long amateur and professional career, but his legs and balance were completely shot from the get go.

Povetkin’s had a good career, but he should probably retire at this point. He did about as well as a 6’2 heavyweight can do these days. Whyte has salvaged his career, and is right back in the mix of things now.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Boxing Scene reporting that De Le Hoya's comeback will be at AT&T Stadium against a "UFC Fighter" (possibly Conor McGregor??)

https://www.boxingscene.com/de-la-hoyas-july-3-comeback-reportedly-vs-ufc-fighter-t-stadium-dallas-multi-fight-deal-with-triller--156484

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

The SituAsian posted:

Boxing Scene reporting that De Le Hoya's comeback will be at AT&T Stadium against a "UFC Fighter" (possibly Conor McGregor??)

https://www.boxingscene.com/de-la-hoyas-july-3-comeback-reportedly-vs-ufc-fighter-t-stadium-dallas-multi-fight-deal-with-triller--156484

Hmmmm de la Hoya would probably beat Connor right?

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Mr. F! posted:

If he's still in decent shape and hasn't really lost much to age and rust, I'd think so yeah

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Mr. F! posted:

I mean the last time De La Hoya was in the ring Conor went from government welfare, to being a worldwide sensation to becoming hella washed.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

It won't be any fighter under current UFC contract. More likely someone like Benson Henderson, though I'd wager that the rumour would say "Champion" if it were him.

Roger Huerta?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!

CommonShore posted:

It won't be any fighter under current UFC contract. More likely someone like Benson Henderson, though I'd wager that the rumour would say "Champion" if it were him.

Roger Huerta?

Jason Knight?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Rags to Liches posted:

If he's still in decent shape and hasn't really lost much to age and rust, I'd think so yeah

nahhhhhhhh, I think however much cocaine and liquor mcgregor has been rolling in, oscar has done 5 times as much. He's 48 and not in the bernard hopkins way

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

de la hoya vs artem lobov to avenge the death of paulie malignaggi

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
*Pounds fists against table*

MORE FREAKSHOW FIGHTS

https://twitter.com/badlefthook/status/1376934771213938691?s=19

https://twitter.com/MichaelBensonn/status/1376951827674071042?s=19

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
I saw that it was set for 180lbs

Can Chavez Jr cut down in such a short amount of time?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

boxing stop noooo

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Declan MacManus posted:

boxing stop noooo

Also, https://twitter.com/mikecoppinger/status/1376966679746375681?s=21

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Oh man, pacquiao fighting in the Middle East? Maybe the boy is right about the wolf this time!

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i hope manny can make a good fight of it but i think bud will retire him

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Marching Powder posted:

i hope manny can make a good fight of it but i think bud will retire him

Oooof yeah. An aged fighter moving up against a heavier great who is, yeesh, 9 years younger.

Edit: is there any fight where Manny plays defensively and just tries to "get through" the fight? I've only seen his younger dominant fights and a few of his more recent stuff, but he's all (skillful) aggression.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Jack B Nimble posted:

Oooof yeah. An aged fighter moving up against a heavier great who is, yeesh, 9 years younger.

Edit: is there any fight where Manny plays defensively and just tries to "get through" the fight? I've only seen his younger dominant fights and a few of his more recent stuff, but he's all (skillful) aggression.

I recall Manny kind of struggling in the middle rounds against Keith Thurman.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Akhmedeliev looked amazing against Iwasa, even if the stoppage was early. The guy jabs and jabs and jabs.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Jamel Herring just bullied Carl Frampton who just retired Sadge

EDIT: Pretty brutal stuff https://twitter.com/trboxing/status/1378464688288243714

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Apr 3, 2021

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Herring had a pretty bad cut too

Quite a remarkable career for Frampton

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Good day of boxing tomorrow

Entire top rank card is fun.

Pbc card has several good fights of reasonable significance

There’s even a British card with a single somewhat interesting fight on it so that’s nice for them

Jump King fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 9, 2021

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Jump King posted:

Good day of boxing tomorrow

Entire top rank card is fun.

Pbc card has several good fights of reasonable significance

There’s even a British card with a single somewhat interesting fight good fight on it

If Boots Ennis looks bad, it will be very disappointing but I am expecting it because I refuse to accept another welterweight prospect other than Vergil Ortiz into my heart

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Boots has looked loving fantastic so far but lipinets is a real dude so that’s the fight to watch

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Jump King posted:

Boots has looked loving fantastic so far but lipinets is a real dude so that’s the fight to watch

Vergil better :colbert:

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Hey man I’m getting a bit tired of bud and Spence so I’d gladly gave two new best welterweights who won’t fight each other

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Conor Benn just destroyed Samuel Vargas and looked very impressive doing so. I'll admit that I sort of disregarded this guy in contrast to Ortiz and Ennis, but he might be a very legitimate name to think about

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Holy gently caress what a knockout by Efe Ajagba

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Lots of good fights today. I really like Smith-Vlasov, which is for sure a fight Cigar Aficionado is going to complain about the result of

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

BOOOOOOOOOTS https://twitter.com/ratcatchermpls/status/1381095963247276034?s=21

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

this is cool. hope welterweight hots up while bud and spence wait for signs that one of them is all but done and they take a final payday.

madey
Sep 17, 2007

I saved the Olympics singlehandedly
ITS JAKE PAUL FIGHT WEEK!!!

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

madey posted:

ITS JAKE PAUL FIGHT WEEK!!!

Mortal Kombat on Friday, Jake Paul Ben Askren Saturday. Perfect weekend for fights

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

womp womp

https://twitter.com/JackSlackMMA/status/1381626523766165506

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
https://twitter.com/MichaelBensonn/status/1381956795246186500?s=19

The combined powers of Steve Cunningham and Doja Cat have rest of the boxing world SHOOK