Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Dark Void any use?

I liked Matt McMuscles's idea of Capcom making a fighting game with all their poo poo tier characters that they wont ever do anything with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Naruto Boy seems pretty cool, although it's very much an indie adventure feels game disguised as a cool techno hack and slash. The music and art is great though, and the combat seems pretty strategic with meter and ability use.

Game Pass stays winning.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

John F Bennett posted:

April's line-up for games with gold.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2021/03/30/new-games-with-gold-april-2021/

- Vikings: Wolves of Midgard ($39.99 ERP): Available April 1 to 30
- Truck Racing Championship($59.99 ERP): Available April 16 to May 15
- Dark Void ($14.99 ERP): Available April 1 to 15
- Hard Corps: Uprising ($14.99 ERP): Available April 16 to 30

LMAO they were really gonna raise the price of Gold

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

$500 is the new price point for fancy headphones because of Apple.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

only for dumbshits who buy audiophile brands

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

Perhaps but this may be the least expensive thing B&O has ever made.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

I said come in! posted:

Uhh you must not pay much attention to the "fancy headphone" market, lol.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Perhaps but this may be the least expensive thing B&O has ever made.

This man agrees

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

John F Bennett posted:

April's line-up for games with gold.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2021/03/30/new-games-with-gold-april-2021/

- Vikings: Wolves of Midgard ($39.99 ERP): Available April 1 to 30
- Truck Racing Championship($59.99 ERP): Available April 16 to May 15
- Dark Void ($14.99 ERP): Available April 1 to 15
- Hard Corps: Uprising ($14.99 ERP): Available April 16 to 30

I thought that said Turok Racing Championship for a minute and I got excited. I've been wanting to play Viking but it didn't seem worth the cost, at least this all better than last months trash.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

TheAnomaly posted:

I thought that said Turok Racing Championship for a minute and I got excited. I've been wanting to play Viking but it didn't seem worth the cost, at least this all better than last months trash.

Gotta play Diddy Kong Racing if you want to race dinosaurs.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
I was excited at getting a sweet HD contra game, and then I remembered this is a nu Konami title which personifies a game made entirely out of microtransactions.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

TheAnomaly posted:

God drat it. Now no video game will make me happy because it won't be Turok Racing Championship.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
I remember seeing some screenshots, and maybe even a tv commercial, for Perfect Dark Zero around release. I never really gave it much thought though, but I absolutely loved the N64 game. Well, I just played a few levels from Zero for the first time, and wow this game is pretty different from the previous entry. It feels like it was made by a completely different dev team. I'd be really curious to find out what happened with this one, it's pretty drat rough. Pretty sure I won't be playing any more of it, definitely got enough in to get a feel for what the game as a whole offers.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Lammasu posted:

God drat it. Now no video game will make me happy because it won't be Turok Racing Championship.

This made me think of violent games turned kart racing and wasn't there some sort of Mortal Kombat kart game?

Had to google it, and yes there was https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDt-fPiHcnk

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Ryoga posted:

I was excited at getting a sweet HD contra game, and then I remembered this is a nu Konami title which personifies a game made entirely out of microtransactions.

It's made by the Guilty Gear people (Arc System Works), Konami is just the publisher. The only dlc is three new playable characters. It's a good game

I couldn't beat the last boss because I'm bad at Contra

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

TheScott2K posted:

LMAO they were really gonna raise the price of Gold

Once GamePass started doing numbers, GwG became just an obligation to maintain. I'm not expecting anything groundbreaking from GwG ever again.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
The last good thing on GwG was Lego Indiana Jones.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

BisterdDave posted:

I remember seeing some screenshots, and maybe even a tv commercial, for Perfect Dark Zero around release. I never really gave it much thought though, but I absolutely loved the N64 game. Well, I just played a few levels from Zero for the first time, and wow this game is pretty different from the previous entry. It feels like it was made by a completely different dev team. I'd be really curious to find out what happened with this one, it's pretty drat rough. Pretty sure I won't be playing any more of it, definitely got enough in to get a feel for what the game as a whole offers.

Tried it again when I got the new Xbox recently It is dreadful.

Don’t recall the details but it went through development hell and was also supposed to be an Xbox 1 (the first Xbox 1) game. The end result is a mess.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Evil Badman posted:

Once GamePass started doing numbers, GwG became just an obligation to maintain. I'm not expecting anything groundbreaking from GwG ever again.

they should just be releasing OG xbox/360 titles on gwg, but like, the good ones.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

univbee posted:

The ones who own Xboxes, since Bethesda's next two games aren't coming to it?

When did Microsoft change them from being timed PS5 console exclusives to being permanent PS5 console exclusives?

Both games were announced for PC & PS5 launch with Xbox one year later. I can't find anything saying they've been changed to permanent console exclusives so I'm curious about this.

hatty posted:

Yeah the GPU market is absolutely insane at the moment, I managed to get a PS5 to compliment my SX and that will allow me to play most everything I care about save for the cool experimental stuff like Noita. Maybe in two years or so I’ll be able to get a GPU who knows.

This is why I really wish console manufacturers and Valve could agree on something to allow a Steam store on consoles. If EA can do their own thing (I know Sony was against it but Microsoft didn't mind) then I'm sure an agreement of some kind could be made that benefited everyone involved. PC gaming is a headache but there's lots of cool little indie games that will never come to console. Same goes for Itch.io as well, if they could put their store on consoles and work out some cut/percentage deal it would be great.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

SUNKOS posted:

When did Microsoft change them from being timed PS5 console exclusives to being permanent PS5 console exclusives?

Both games were announced for PC & PS5 launch with Xbox one year later. I can't find anything saying they've been changed to permanent console exclusives so I'm curious about this.

This is why I really wish console manufacturers and Valve could agree on something to allow a Steam store on consoles. If EA can do their own thing (I know Sony was against it but Microsoft didn't mind) then I'm sure an agreement of some kind could be made that benefited everyone involved. PC gaming is a headache but there's lots of cool little indie games that will never come to console. Same goes for Itch.io as well, if they could put their store on consoles and work out some cut/percentage deal it would be great.

All of the major marketplaces are flooded with a sea of mediocre garbage, so the only obstacle currently preventing pc-exclusive indie titles from going to consoles at this point seems to be developer effort/resources/willingness.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

And unfortunately a lot of the gems are from smaller developers who simply don't have the money and resources for console ports.

Then there's just oddities such as Killer 7 being remastered but PC-only :psyduck:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

For every good indie game there is 50,000 complete poo poo ones.

The Xbox store has enough garbage on it as is without opening the steam JRPG/dating game floodgates.

Does anyone have a wireless headset for the xbox and has tested the latency? my wired A40s plugged into my controller are maybe 1/4sec behind my TV speakers when I compare. its not really discernable when you listen to just the headphones though, so its not too bad and Im definitely not playing at a level where it matters.

Curious if the new xbox headset or any of the other third party wireless setups are any better. I could test my Astro wireless setup again but its so many cables that its far simpler to just go into the controller.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Laserface posted:

For every good indie game there is 50,000 complete poo poo ones.

The Xbox store has enough garbage on it as is without opening the steam JRPG/dating game floodgates.

Does anyone have a wireless headset for the xbox and has tested the latency? my wired A40s plugged into my controller are maybe 1/4sec behind my TV speakers when I compare. its not really discernable when you listen to just the headphones though, so its not too bad and Im definitely not playing at a level where it matters.

Curious if the new xbox headset or any of the other third party wireless setups are any better. I could test my Astro wireless setup again but its so many cables that its far simpler to just go into the controller.

I don't normally have the tv going when I'm using headphones, but I did notice once before I turned off the hdmi audio that it wasn't as jarring and distracting as the difference between my soundbar and my tv when the soundbar fucks up and fails to override the tv speakers. And as long as I had the headphones turned up to a reasonable volume I couldn't hear the tv regardless.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dark Void is really really bad

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

SUNKOS posted:

lmao, this is dumb as hell. steam does no curation and adds no value to the process, they're not going to be shepherding the indie games you want onto consoles.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
How many great indies are PC only at this point? Loop Hero maybe is a recent one but that's also heavily designed for mouse/touch controls. With devs making a killing on Switch and MS handing out checks to get smaller stuff on Game Pass indie games on consoles feel pretty healthy at the moment.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Doctor Nutt posted:

I don't normally have the tv going when I'm using headphones, but I did notice once before I turned off the hdmi audio that it wasn't as jarring and distracting as the difference between my soundbar and my tv when the soundbar fucks up and fails to override the tv speakers. And as long as I had the headphones turned up to a reasonable volume I couldn't hear the tv regardless.

I dont normally leave the tv volume up as i play most games with headphones but occasionally i do and its probably a 10-20ms delay to the headphones plugged into the controller. it was more that the delay is not perceptible unless you have both the speakers on and the headphones on, which for dolby atmos headphones encoding is pretty impressive latency tbh.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Laserface posted:

they should just be releasing OG xbox/360 titles on gwg, but like, the good ones.

Jake Solomon cackles as XCOM: EU and EW will never go down from 40 a piece.

In other boring news I wanted to play Orange Box without a disk in my 'box but it wasn't purchasable digitally. There's some archaic storefront page you can go to to buy it for the 360 which adds it to your account to be played on Series X/whatever. In case anyone wanted it

American McGay posted:

How many great indies are PC only at this point? Loop Hero maybe is a recent one but that's also heavily designed for mouse/touch controls. With devs making a killing on Switch and MS handing out checks to get smaller stuff on Game Pass indie games on consoles feel pretty healthy at the moment.

Noita 😔

meat police fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Mar 31, 2021

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

meat police posted:

In other boring news I wanted to play Orange Box without a disk in my 'box but it wasn't purchasable digitally. There's some archaic storefront page you can go to to buy it for the 360 which adds it to your account to be played on Series X/whatever. In case anyone wanted it

Noita 😔

Thanks, i was looking for this a month or two ago. My fiance and i replayed Portal 2 on the Xbox, passing the controller back and forth, and had a blast.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Barudak posted:

Dark Void is really really bad

It did inspire an official demake. From what I remember that game wasn't very good either but at the time the concept of retro-style demakes was a pretty novel concept, I don't even think we had the "nu-retro" boom yet.

But yeah, the 360 game is just another generic bad title from that era when Japanese devs thought they had to "Americanize" their games for them to sell well overseas.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Hard Corps Uprising is very good and worth your time.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

bees x1000 posted:

Hard Corps Uprising is very good and worth your time.

Its a really good direction for Contra that has stages that are a touch too long for their own good and I wish it had been the template for future titles otherwise.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Hey, can someone help me troubleshoot a digital rights thing? We have the series x downstairs on the 4k tv, bone x upstairs connected to a 1080p tv. I was under the impression that if I was signed in on the series x but my home xbox was set to the bone, we shouldn't have issues playing any games I've purchased or via gold or whatever. But tonight when I was playing Skyrim on the series x via game pass, my so got a message that she would be unable to play twin mirror (a game purchased on my account) unless I signed out. Did I misunderstand something about how digital rights work or which xbox needs to be home xbox or whatever?

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Doctor Nutt posted:

Hey, can someone help me troubleshoot a digital rights thing? We have the series x downstairs on the 4k tv, bone x upstairs connected to a 1080p tv. I was under the impression that if I was signed in on the series x but my home xbox was set to the bone, we shouldn't have issues playing any games I've purchased or via gold or whatever. But tonight when I was playing Skyrim on the series x via game pass, my so got a message that she would be unable to play twin mirror (a game purchased on my account) unless I signed out. Did I misunderstand something about how digital rights work or which xbox needs to be home xbox or whatever?

Sounds right to me. I logged in to my brothers profile on my xbox and set it as his profiles 'home xbox', and he did the same for me on his xbox. Then I play on my profile, and he plays on his. Only problems occur when internet goes down, but that never happens.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Crafty posted:

Only problems occur when internet goes down, but that never happens.

remember when this was the thing that basically undid the entire business model of the Xbone?

I think my internet has been out a grand total of twice since the Bone launch.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

The thing that undid Xbone was that and several other soft factors that sunk the image.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think most people point back to the disastrous 2013 games conference reveal where Microsoft avoided talking about video games for 90% of their program and chased fads (kinect) that would die out less than 6 months later.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

always online up until like a week before launch
mandatory kinect
€/$ 100 more expensive than the PS4
less powerful than the PS4
zero notable exclusives

what a disaster of a console

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Focusing on live sports and TV when launching a game console is not so great. Also making the Kinect an "integral" part of the console instead of an add-on.

It was a huge self-nuke and they're still recovering.