Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Laterite posted:

also depreciation isn't really a thing anymore, at least for popular brands/models. look up prices of say a 2016 Wrangler Sahara and compare to the 2021 equivalent.

what in the world are you talking about, cars depreciate like crazy, outside of a few exception like something really exotic, or something where demand was significantly higher than model production

https://www.carfax.com/blog/car-depreciation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

Laterite posted:

also depreciation isn't really a thing anymore, at least for popular brands/models. look up prices of say a 2016 Wrangler Sahara and compare to the 2021 equivalent.

It absolutely is a thing but a lot of the used car market has gone haywire in the last year or so. With car producers shutting lines down due to supply issues, it's only going to be crazier.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Missing Donut posted:

It absolutely is a thing but a lot of the used car market has gone haywire in the last year or so. With car producers shutting lines down due to supply issues, it's only going to be crazier.

I assume this means used car prices are increasing, though I'm guessing trade-in values are increasing as well

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

The Bloop posted:

1. All kinds of literacy are obviously good and no one is saying otherwise.

2. Your experience is not universal. Your abilities and baseline knowledge are not universal. This is an inherently predatory industry.

3. The entire dealership structure is a deep pile of scams. Psychological scams, mostly, but also poo poo like fake invoices and bizarrely structured payment instruments to the dealerships so the customer has NO CHANCE getting all the real information. Sure you can go pay MSRP, but the fact is that different people will pay many thousands more or less than each other based on a ton of entirely hidden, arcane reasons.

I don't know why you or anyone else would advocate for a one-sided haggling system for a factory manufactured good, unless you just enjoy various forms of privilege which make it less onerous on you than most (and either don't realize it or are just fygm about it)

2. As far as methodology, I just read AI, which recommended having financing up front, figuring out your budget beforehand, and negotiating a price before walking through the door. If you prioritize those things it's hard to impossible to get taken. If things don't go the way to want, you can always just get up and walk away. I know my experience can't be universal, but it's based on enough commonly accessible prior experience and knowledge so as to not come from left field, or to be as esoteric as is being suggested.

3. 'Real information' was just pricing the same model for different dealerships, and then shopping around to find one that would give me a price in writing beforehand. Again, if you have financing before you step through the door then they can't even mess with that part. You don't have to tell them that until you get to that part, though.

Attempting to understand and navigate a system is not advocating for it. Buy a Kia or shop at Carmax if you don't want to deal with that part.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
Pushy sales tactics are awful and deceptive tactics should be illegal, but this car dealership talk really drives home the importance of being able to say no and walk away. For a lot of people, including myself, it was a skill that needed to be developed. I remember getting sales calls for useless bank products like credit card balance protection that I will never need, but felt like I couldn't just say no and hang up, and needed to convince the caller I really didn't need it.

Life is much easier when you are capable of just telling someone that is trying to rope you into buying some junk "no, not interested" and hanging up. It's tougher with a dealership as you are committing more time and can get caught up on sunk costs of your time, but it is necessary if you want to not be pushed around.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I feel like not owning a car is over of the best decisions I've made from both a financial and psychological perspective.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
If you want to buy a car start talking loudly about how you want a car with your friends/coworkers/family and someone who is looking to sell (who is not as incentivized to cheat you bc of the connection) will just materialize. It's nuts but that's how I got my last 4 cars. Of course this does not work in urgent situations unless you are really lucky.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Thanatosian posted:

I feel like not owning a car is over of the best decisions I've made from both a financial and psychological perspective.

If I still lived in Waikiki, I could live without a car. As I live in north florida, a car is required.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Plank Walker posted:

how is car buying a thing? just take a test drive and shove that nerd out the passenger side at the first stop light you hit

Hahahahahahahaha How The gently caress Is the Hard Sell Real Hahahaha Just Walk Away From The Deal Like Just Drive Off With The Car Hahaha Close Your Eyes Haha

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Mr. Nice! posted:

If I still lived in Waikiki, I could live without a car. As I live in north florida, a car is required.

We salute you for living so close to Gainesville. You're doing us all a service living there, so we don't have to.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Mr. Nice! posted:

I wish I could live with out a car. I'm jealous of everyone who lives in a city with a proper public transportation system

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Re: depreciation

You have to weigh the value of a 100,000 mile warranty vs that. Said value is definitely subjective but the "drive it off the lot" depreciation only means anything if you somehow thought you were buying a car as an investment or planned to sell it immediately which...

Re: saying no

A lot of people buy a vehicle out of semi desperation because theirs poo poo the bed. Also, the price will vary wildly depending on the month of the quarter, the week of the month, the day of the week, and even the hour of the day because of how incentive structures work at dealerships, again benefiting those with no sense of urgency and the privilege to dick around for a while. As usual, the people who get the best deals are usually the ones least in need

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
downstairs from my 2/2 condo in waikiki was a grocery store, plenty of shops, bars, and restaurants. sure taking the bus to places outside of downtown might take a couple of hours, but who gives a gently caress when you can walk anywhere you need to go?

downside, rent was nearly 2k/month.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

Debayarea yourself and face to rentshed

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Mr. Nice! posted:

downstairs from my 2/2 condo in waikiki was a grocery store, plenty of shops, bars, and restaurants. sure taking the bus to places outside of downtown might take a couple of hours, but who gives a gently caress when you can walk anywhere you need to go?

Nearly 2000 a month for a 2/2 in any other metro area is a bargain.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Thanatosian posted:

Enjoy it!

Around here, that's downtown-only.

$$$.

:smith:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

skooma512 posted:

Nearly 2000 a month for a 2/2 in any other metro area is a bargain.

this was in 2010 when i got that rate locked in and it was at a discount because i was in the navy at the time. nearby comparables today rent for $3-4k. condos in the same building are for sale for $500k or so.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

buying a car 6 years ago is one of the worst decisions I've made in nearly every aspect of my life. piece of poo poo is already on its last legs and i just keep dumping money into it lmao

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Stevie Lee posted:

buying a car 6 years ago is one of the worst decisions I've made in nearly every aspect of my life. piece of poo poo is already on its last legs and i just keep dumping money into it lmao

You need to equip that piece of poo poo with bald tires and go for a drive in a rain storm. Hydroplane your way into a new car by sliding into a pole or guard rails!

Strongly recommend against a dashcam if you're going to single vehicle accident your way into a new one though.

Out of curiosity, what make/model?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

this was in 2010 when i got that rate locked in and it was at a discount because i was in the navy at the time. nearby comparables today rent for $3-4k. condos in the same building are for sale for $500k or so.

One of the strangest things about the Seattle market is how the rent vs buy decision (in general but particularly for condos) has gone totally loving loopy due to hosed zoning that preserves 75% of the city for sfhs (making the only large-scale development possible high rise development) and developers hating the condo liability law for builders here and preferring to build for the rental market instead. The equivalent of a $3.5k/mo downtown apartment here is probably in the 800-1 mil range.

Meanwhile downtown apartment complexes are actually having trouble staying full and are offering multiple months of free rent/parking or even outright price cuts in some places even as condo prices continue to go to space.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

The Oldest Man posted:

One of the strangest things about the Seattle market is how the rent vs buy decision (in general but particularly for condos) has gone totally loving loopy due to hosed zoning that preserves 75% of the city for sfhs and developers hating the condo liability law for builders here. The equivalent of a $3.5k/mo downtown apartment here is probably in the 800-1 mil range.

Meanwhile downtown apartment complexes are actually having trouble staying full and are offering multiple months of free rent/parking or even outright price cuts in some places even as condo prices continue to go to space.

you can't launder money by renting places, but you sure can by buying.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

The Oldest Man posted:

One of the strangest things about the Seattle market is how the rent vs buy decision (in general but particularly for condos) has gone totally loving loopy due to hosed zoning that preserves 75% of the city for sfhs (making the only large-scale development possible high rise development) and developers hating the condo liability law for builders here and preferring to build for the rental market instead. The equivalent of a $3.5k/mo downtown apartment here is probably in the 800-1 mil range.

Small condos are hella cheap pretty much always. You can get a good deal if you're willing to live in a sub-600 square foot home.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

My car's transmission was apparently bad enough that they lost a class action lawsuit about it that meant everyone got the extended warranty (or got the cost of it refunded if you had already bought it)

They informed me of this like 2 months before the extended warranty would have expired anyway so it was pretty much worthless :toot:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

My transmission has been perfectly fine but thanks to that I now have a creeping anxiety that it's going to explode at any moment and any even slightly off sound my car makes terrifies me.

Cars!

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Ford Focus? They had a big recall a couple years ago over the DSC auto.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The Oldest Man posted:

I didn't realize "if he have gun this not happen" was a CSPAM position now

Just bring a gun to the dealership and wave it around occasionally, that'll get you a fair price.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Ford Focus? They had a big recall a couple years ago over the DSC auto.

Worse, an Altima with a CVT

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Lol. Not a twist I expected but Nissan has poo poo itself over the past 20 years.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

I wish I could live with out a car. I'm jealous of everyone who lives in a city with a proper public transportation system

A car is still insanely convenient, and has a ton of utility (It's pretty much a requirement with a large dog)

It takes me ten minutes to drive to my parents' by car, or three separate buses and 1 hour 15 minutes using public transit

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The subjective experience of the car has been... I don't know, fine? It's a box that I get inside and it takes me to work or the store. It's pretty fuel efficient but it has absolutely garbage acceleration response. There is exactly enough electronics inside for my needs - I can connect my phone via bluetooth and play music over the car speakers and that is as smart as it gets, there's no touch screen bullshit or network connection or anything.

It has been a very boring car for a very boring person, which I don't have to think about at all, and that's exactly what I want :shrug:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

actionjackson posted:

A car is still insanely convenient, and has a ton of utility (It's pretty much a requirement with a large dog)

It takes me ten minutes to drive to my parents' by car, or three separate buses and 1 hour 15 minutes using public transit

thats just cuz public transit is dog poo poo where you live tho

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

bob dobbs is dead posted:

thats just cuz public transit is dog poo poo where you live tho

that's 99% of america though

and it's funny because we've added a ton of infrastructure, like light rails, but it only really works if you are very close to the line (we have one connecting downtown minneapolis and st. paul, and one going from downtown minneapolis to the airport)

are large animals allowed on public transit even where it's robust?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Have you seen an average American lol

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Public transit has been dogshit in every city I've lived in. I mean, except for the year I lived in Korea, but most of that was on an army base and it even had free shuttle buses.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Thanatosian posted:

Small condos are hella cheap pretty much always. You can get a good deal if you're willing to live in a sub-600 square foot home.

Very small units in old buildings have not gone totally bonkers, like you can still get in on this ~350 sqft in a 1922 building action for only a quarter mil.
https://www.redfin.com/WA/Seattle/2132-5th-Ave-98121/unit-207/home/12092907

But if you want a new condo, staying under 600 sqft will not protect you from The Pain:
https://www.redfin.com/WA/Seattle/2000-3rd-Ave-98121/unit-1301/home/174372826

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009

actionjackson posted:

and it's funny because we've added a ton of infrastructure, like light rails, but it only really works if you are very close to the line (we have one connecting downtown minneapolis and st. paul, and one going from downtown minneapolis to the airport)

Oh be fair, they have a lot of transportation...that goes directly to the Mall of America!

Minneapolis has better public transportation than the last place I lived, but if you live outside of the city proper or out of the central corridors, it's very spotty. The apartments on the bus line or on the light rails are so drat expensive.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

actionjackson posted:

Two whole light rail lines? Imagine thinking that's "a ton of infrastructure", lmao. And yes, you can take dogs on public transit in most places.

It's sad how low expectations are in the US.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

We have a streetcar thing that can take you from the yuppie part of town to the other yuppie part of town to the club district, and absolutely nowhere else.

At least they made it free with a grant from the state

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

You need to equip that piece of poo poo with bald tires and go for a drive in a rain storm. Hydroplane your way into a new car by sliding into a pole or guard rails!

Strongly recommend against a dashcam if you're going to single vehicle accident your way into a new one though.

Out of curiosity, what make/model?

2010 subaru impreza with 199k miles, I'm gonna drive this bitch til she dies. i already killed a truck with it, trying to keep the kdr up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Godspeed fellow subagoon. I'm on my fourth Subaru. Want to drive this golf balled Outback to the heat death of the universe.