Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Thanks man, appreciate it.

She's doing it one day at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
Is VGRO still the recommended ETF? Finally moved all my money from Wealthsimple’s Invest roboadvisor to Trade. Not sure where to put about $15k.

Any advice?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
I use XGRO now for a bit less home bias but functionally they are the same.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

virinvictus posted:

Is VGRO still the recommended ETF? Finally moved all my money from Wealthsimple’s Invest roboadvisor to Trade. Not sure where to put about $15k.

Any advice?

Assuming you want to keep a similar allocation, it depends what Wealthsimple Invest portfolio you were in. Their Growth portfolio is about the same as VGRO/XGRO. You can check the FAQ at https://www.wealthsimple.com/en-ca/product/invest/ and compare to the fund pages e.g. https://www.vanguardcanada.ca/advisors/products/en/detail/etf/9579/balanced

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Is XAW + VCN + ZAG outdated now? Last I checked it was a lower MER than the one-fund solutions and certainly isn't a hassle to balance.

I was looking at Ben Felix's Five Factor portfolio and I don't think it would be too difficult to implement sometime in the future, since I'd already written software to rebalance for me (unfortunately Questrade disabled buying/selling via API due to regulatory changes so I have to execute manually but still). However I was still planning to be using XAW + VCN + ZAG for the foreseeable future...

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Not outdated at all. I use an asset allocation fund for convenience, even though I had a spreadsheet that told me what to buy, because the extra bps weren't worth it to me at the time. But then I do Norbert's Gambit once a month because it's cheaper than the easier foreign exchange methods, so I guess I'm unpredictable.

That model five factor portfolio looks cool, and I feel like 10 years from now that's what I'll be in, but I have no idea if I'll get the urge tomorrow or in 9.5 years.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
You can also use Passiv for free to do rebalancing if you use Questrade.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Ben Felix's portfolio weights towards small-cap value stocks. If you're going to go into that, you need to be aware that you could see lagging returns for very significant periods of time, even as long as a decade. So basically the earlier you get into that, the more likely you will see outperformance of market beta by the time you retire. I personally wouldn't bother with it if I was less than 15 years away from retirement, even then I still probably wouldn't.

But no, XAW + ZAG + VCN is not outdated, a market cap weighted portfolio is still the best option for anyone who wants to spend less than a minute per month on their finances.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I might say that if you are making frequent purchases and use a no-commission broker, there's no reason not to buy the underlying funds instead of the one stop funds. The premium you pay on the MER is so that it balances automatically, but if you are making frequent purchases you can balance with every purchase, without needing to sell (unless it gets super skewed.)

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

xtal posted:

I might say that if you are making frequent purchases and use a no-commission broker, there's no reason not to buy the underlying funds instead of the one stop funds. The premium you pay on the MER is so that it balances automatically, but if you are making frequent purchases you can balance with every purchase, without needing to sell (unless it gets super skewed.)

My reasons are reducing the chance of loving up the order in my broker's complicated UI and not maintaining a fancier spreadsheet. They are not great reasons but I'm ok with it.

I do vaguely hope they'll bring down the fees to match the weighted average of their holdings, but I'm not counting on it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Is there a website with a decent summary of pros/cons/fees of online brokerages? I've quite liked RBC-DI but I discovered that they don't offer trading some symbols just ~because~ with no reasons given... and it probably annoys me more than it should.

quote:

I reviewed the symbols PSA and CSAV and unfortunately, RBC Direct Investing does not offer these products.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 31, 2021

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

xtal posted:

I had separate holdings but rolled them into a single fund in part because it's significantly easier for my spouse to manage when I'm away from home. I'm also likely to die first, actuarially speaking, so 3bps is worth the convenience of being significantly easier everyone to manage, not just me.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

slidebite posted:

Is there a website with a decent summary of pros/cons/fees of online brokerages? I've quite liked RBC-DI but I discovered that they don't offer trading some symbols just ~because~ with no reasons given... and it probably annoys me more than it should.

I'm not aware of a particularly good one. MoneySense has https://www.moneysense.ca/canadas-best-online-brokers-comparison/ which at least gives you a list (though the list does not include Wealthsimple Trade, maybe it's too new?).

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Guest2553 posted:

I had separate holdings but rolled them into a single fund in part because it's significantly easier for my spouse to manage when I'm away from home. I'm also likely to die first, actuarially speaking, so 3bps is worth the convenience of being significantly easier everyone to manage, not just me.

One fund ETFs keep me from trying to get smart and mess with the weightings because of something I read on CNBC or C-SPAM.

That didn't stop me from liquidating a bunch of my one-fund ETFs to (try and fail to) buy a home and watching the market climb over the six months I was sitting it out though. :v:

I still have to re-deploy and I think I'm going to DCA over six months because oof everything is peaking hard right now, whether you believe it's a bubble or not.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Cold on a Cob posted:

That didn't stop me from liquidating a bunch of my one-fund ETFs to (try and fail to) buy a home and watching the market climb over the six months I was sitting it out though. :v:

SAME. I pulled out of equities in my TFSA once they recovered from the COVID crash and put them into CSAV, so I didn't panic sell and lose anything with that decision at the time. I figured since I'm buying soon I should reduce my risk in the registered account I can actually withdraw from. However that was before I ran the numbers and decided minimum down beats 20% down if you invest the difference, so I sat out the past ~10mo of exuberance for 'no reason'.

I still think it was the right call though. Having the additional 'cash' available is looking like it will be pretty useful, and it's not like any of this market performance was guaranteed.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
Yeah I'm not beating myself up about it because if things had gone the opposite way with the stock market and the housing market I would have been a "genius" vOv

I'm not reinvesting it 100% either, I was over-invested in equities considering I'd been toying with the idea of buying for a few years.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Pivo posted:

decided minimum down beats 20% down if you invest the difference, so I sat out the past ~10mo of exuberance for 'no reason'.

Lol that was almost me, I kept last year's savings as cash and bonds because I was supposed to move this year and didn't want to liquidate holdings for a down payment. I'm not moving til next year now, but made the conscious choice just this morning to plough everything into the markets for the same reasons.

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

Years ago I remember reading that if I wanted to use money within 5 years I should keep it very safe and conservatively invested. I didn't know when my life circumstances would be right for buying but 5 years was a conceivable horizon so I moved a chunk of my equities into GICs. Well 7 years later and my life circumstances still aren't right for purchasing property. I moved the downpayment money out of GICs to a bond ETF to feel a little better about the risk/return balance but I still feel like I have the worst of both worlds: not getting the gains of a downpayment invested in equities as a renter and not getting the property appreciation from being an owner.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Yeah no poo poo eh?

Imagine going through and paying off your 7 - 9% interest student loans to then finally get a stable job and slowly move up the wage brackets (although stagnation has also taken place immensely) and find that the Highest Interest "Savings" account available for you is under 3%.

Lmao we're so hosed.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Guest2553 posted:

Lol that was almost me, I kept last year's savings as cash and bonds because I was supposed to move this year and didn't want to liquidate holdings for a down payment. I'm not moving til next year now, but made the conscious choice just this morning to plough everything into the markets for the same reasons.

At least you didn't liquidate your equities in the March 2020 dip because "oh god the economy is completely hosed by COVID, better liquidate everything before stocks tank any further". Then, spread rebuying across the following months at an increasing cost, as the stock market kept regaining lost ground in spite of the economy still being cratered.

Don't time the market. :shepicide:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Regarding the $400 WFH credit, does it end up just 'looking' like a $400 employment expense?

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.

VelociBacon posted:

Regarding the $400 WFH credit, does it end up just 'looking' like a $400 employment expense?

It's not a credit, it's a deduction. So, yes.

BrainBot
Aug 18, 2012

VelociBacon posted:

It's part of Net income deductions, line 22900 "Other employment expenses"

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I realize I could probably google this but what are the limitations around that? Do you need to work from home for the whole year?

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

xtal posted:

I realize I could probably google this but what are the limitations around that? Do you need to work from home for the whole year?

$2/day worked from home between whatever dates - March 1(?) to Dec 31 - holidays/sick/vacation days don't count.

So I claimed 177 or whatever was the actually correct number instead of 200 but one imagines they won't actually be auditing it (unless they randomly select a few large organizations and compare HR records of days off to employees' claims).

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.

Sassafras posted:

$2/day worked from home between whatever dates - March 1(?) to Dec 31 - holidays/sick/vacation days don't count.

So I claimed 177 or whatever was the actually correct number instead of 200 but one imagines they won't actually be auditing it (unless they randomly select a few large organizations and compare HR records of days off to employees' claims).

Right, but you are only eligible if you worked from home more than 50% of the time for a period of at least a month (four consecutive weeks).

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Kal Torak posted:

It's not a credit, it's a deduction. So, yes.

BrainBot posted:

It's part of Net income deductions, line 22900 "Other employment expenses"

Thanks, had done it correctly but wanted to make sure.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

The “long” calculation was much better for me and not very difficult to tabulate.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Just do what you feel is fair, don’t take advantage. Be a stand up citizen. Your gov loves you.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So my wife has some paper shares from the 90s. Both Transalta and Telus. Telus has split since they were issued and it sounds like they have also been reinvesting (sounds like a DRIP kind of thing).

This was done from dealing with Telus directly back in the day so it sounds like Compushare is holding the "electronic" shares. She wants to sell all of them and it sounds like Compushare is kind of painful to deal with.

Question:

Would it be best to just transfer the whole thing over to our online brokerage? I presume we should be able to do an "in-kind" transfer from Compushare to RBCDI?

Any idea on dealing with the paper shares? They are from around 1992 and sounds like have split at least twice. I've never dealt with paper shares before so kind of clueless.

Further to make things awkward, they are all in her maiden name (we've been married for 20 years). Is transferring going to be a problem since it's not her "current" name?

Should I just call RBCDI and ask them? I have a feeling this is going to be a pain in the rear end.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I found this: https://www6.royalbank.com/en/di/hubs/investing-academy/article/what-to-do-with-a-physical-stock-certificate/ki58kjmv

Not TD, but might give you some ideas. Good luck

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

We're actually with RBCDI so that is quite helpful.

I will have to call them to discuss tomorrow though, that link talks about a transfer, and computershare said they can't "transfer" paper shares, they need to go to the broker, so in my case RBCDI. Either way, that sounds kind of strange as if you sell them you are in essence "transferring" them anyhow, so there has to be some sort of way to do it.

Either way, I think we'll just give them a call tomorrow and discuss.

Thanks

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’m with RBCDS, but have recently been told that RBC isn’t accepting paper certs due to COVID risk (?!?)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

"Covid" risk hey? :lol: The new go to excuse for someone who doesn't want to do something.

We'll call them today when I have some time and see what they say. Appreciate it folks.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So you were 100% correct, they won't handle paper due to "covid" but they were quite helpful and told us how we *could* do it. Unfortunately, because Mrs. Slidebite didn't change her name with Computershare it's going to be a PITA but it needs to be done. Basically need to get Computer share to convert via DRS and transfer from there.

Other subjects....

I was thinking the other day, what is the "typical" amount you need to retire? I know there used to be an old saying of $1,000,000 - but I'm pretty sure that was just a number given by someone years ago and seems to have had legs which is still thrown around. Of course, if someone only needs a modest $2K of income per month that's different than someone who needs $4K... or $5K or $10K for their lifestyles.

And furthermore, once you have an "target" in mind, how is it separated to get your funds as income versus growth? Is it ETFs (VRIF?) or what are people doing? Or selling the funds/securities/whatever? Combination of the two?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

slidebite posted:

I was thinking the other day, what is the "typical" amount you need to retire?
You can "retire" at any level of expense, but use your current expenses AND standard of living as a guideline.

You can make a bidirectional transformation between cashflow <-> assets using the 4% rule of thumb. $1,000,000 of assets can generate $40,000 of cashflow per year, and for every $40,000 in expenses, you need $1,000,000 of assets.

Once you determine your expenses in terms of cashflow requirements, you can do a simple calculation to determine the equivalent value in assets, and that's your number.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yeah, I get that - that's what I meant by someone needing $2k/month vs $10k/month, but I do appreciate your reply.

But using your 4% "rule of thumb" - what vehicles are people utilizing to achieve that 4% as cashflow? Presumably not selling assets is a primary goal as depleting your principal is going to drive that 4% cashflow down.

Sorry if these are stupid questions, but we've been so preoccupied with saving I haven't even given the "cashflow" aspect of retirement much of a thought at this point.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

slidebite posted:

Yeah, I get that - that's what I meant by someone needing $2k/month vs $10k/month, but I do appreciate your reply.

But using your 4% "rule of thumb" - what vehicles are people utilizing to achieve that 4% as cashflow? Presumably not selling assets is a primary goal as depleting your principal is going to drive that 4% cashflow down.

Sorry if these are stupid questions, but we've been so preoccupied with saving I haven't even given the "cashflow" aspect of retirement much of a thought at this point.

My plan (and I'm many years away, so it could well change a dozen times between now and then) is to maintain my current allocation and sell enough stocks/bonds each year to cover a year's worth of expenses. I'll start this before retirement so I always have 5 years' expenses ready to go, divided between a high-interest savings account and a GIC ladder. That five years' padding gives some time for stock markets to recover, plus I'll adjust spending if it's looking real bleak.

Basically this https://www.michaeljamesonmoney.com/2020/05/calculating-my-retirement-glidepath.html (and see the linked PDF for a lot more detail). That blogger did an earlier post that I was originally looking for: https://www.michaeljamesonmoney.com/2013/10/a-retirement-income-strategy.html but he's clarified his process now that he's actually stopped working, so the first link might be useful for implementation if the concept sounds at all appealing.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

slidebite posted:

It assumes your ending balance is 0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantle
May 15, 2004

slidebite posted:

https://www.moneysense.ca/save/retirement/a-better-way-to-generate-retirement-income/

This is what I plan to do when the time comes-- use a 5 year GIC ladder to smooth out the income and keep the 60/40 split on the remainder to maintain growth.