Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Also, simple doesn't mean uninteresting. There is a balancing act between too many bells and whistles and actually having a game of mafia. Too much complexity can easily get in the way of a well performing game.
Also I want to play in your game, so I am not going to poach your players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ObamaAkbar.
Apr 7, 2009

DesiredPopulationMin = 3
DesiredPopulationMax = 19
AverageDeathsPerDay = 6
WeaponsUsed = 13

Grandicap posted:

Also, simple doesn't mean uninteresting. There is a balancing act between too many bells and whistles and actually having a game of mafia. Too much complexity can easily get in the way of a well performing game.
Also I want to play in your game, so I am not going to poach your players.

Yeah I’m still gonna run simple games just have a few crazy ideas in my head to try.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

ObamaAkbar. posted:

Yeah I’m still gonna run simple games just have a few crazy ideas in my head to try.

I am always down for mostly a normal game with one (1) insane mechanic as sort of a test run

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

CENA's recent Dinosaur's game is a great example of that. The Modular mechanic was fire.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Grandicap posted:

CENA's recent Dinosaur's game is a great example of that. The Modular mechanic was fire.

Yes it was.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Do the experimental game grandi, you promised me you would

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Hal Insandenza posted:

Do the experimental game grandi, you promised me you would

We'll see, 2 of the 3 games I have made mod-docs for have some interesting mechanics to sink your teeth into, but standard roles with interesting interactionability is always fun too. I have flavor for 2 of the 3 as well. So fill up OA's game if you wanna see what I will do.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
admit it. google sheets was better than discord

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

birdstrike posted:

Having scum docs was fun, and was a good way to track claim stuff, but discord is better for actual communication.

But both of these options are inferior, bring back AIM.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Google docs was the best, because you could gently caress around with the format and have fun dragging winvirus all over the page to see what you'd said

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
On the other hand Google docs maybe helped kill my game.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I kind of wish I hadn’t deleted all my Google docs when I last stopped playing mafia, I think my Foundation setup doc was full of vitriol about Lumpen complaining

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Scientastic posted:

I kind of wish I hadn’t deleted all my Google docs when I last stopped playing mafia, I think my Foundation setup doc was full of vitriol about Lumpen complaining

would love to play a Foundation game

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

birdstrike posted:

google docs was hot fire, I remember a game where my whole scumteam tried to find the most garish, hard to read font possible in scumdoc

(it was lime green on yellow)

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Sandwolf posted:

google docs was hot fire, I remember a game where my whole scumteam tried to find the most garish, hard to read font possible in scumdoc

(it was lime green on yellow)

I hope the mod was busb

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

birdstrike posted:

I hope the mod was busb

feels like it was definitely one of those civ games

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Google Docs was cool when mods messed with the format to let other people read snippets or do other weird things.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Retro Futurist posted:

I've made a real mess of a game, Come join it

Chaos mafia has ended with a scum sweep

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Retro Futurist posted:

:thurman:

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Retro Futurist posted:

smh this is what happens when you dont have steak on your team... :colbert:

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

:thurman:

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Oh no, I already had too much of a hard time telling them apart. Now it will be impossible.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Grandicap posted:

Oh no, I already had too much of a hard time telling them apart. Now it will be impossible.

I want to believe...

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Sandwolf posted:

I want to believe...

...eveileb ot tnaw I

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Scientastic posted:

Oooh I remember this very well

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Never mind, got there in the end.

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 2, 2021

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry
ilmucche Im just chiming in to say :waycool: but no sarcasm

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry
Can I start my deadposting gimmick in this thread or will you all still be annoyed

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Squiggly posted:

Can I start my deadposting gimmick in this thread or will you all still be annoyed

Do it......

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Squiggly posted:

You won’t

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

I've created a monster

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Hey dudes I got a mafia itch and I started to look for a game and then I realized I actually want to run a game and not be in one so I'm gonna run a game.

I would love it if some of the old crusty mafia folks joined, and also you young fresh mafia kids. I'm finalizing the setup and will post it today or tomorrow.

edit: how do people do scum chats now? Discord? I literally have not run a game since AIM was a thing.

mega dy fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 7, 2021

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

dy. posted:

Hey dudes I got a mafia itch and I started to look for a game and then I realized I actually want to run a game and not be in one so I'm gonna run a game.

I would love it if some of the old crusty mafia folks joined, and also you young fresh mafia kids. I'm finalizing the setup and will post it today or tomorrow.

edit: how do people do scum chats now? Discord? I literally have not run a game since AIM was a thing.

I’m in!

Discord.

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

dy. posted:

gently caress yes

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

dy. posted:

All about it

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

dy. posted:

Yes please

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.

dy. posted:

I will join because you're running it

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

dy. posted:

I hope it's a robot game...

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Idk who you are but sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Mr. Humalong posted:

Idk who you are but sure
Can anyone really know who anyone is?

Hal Insandenza posted:

I hope it's a robot game...
The robot games were fun to design but ultimately way too complicated to actually work. This is going to be a new, overly fiddly mechanic that everyone will use wrong. There might be boats.