Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

christmas boots posted:

if you’re going to do One Piece do One Pace instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Truga posted:

lmfao what

My gf isn't really into anime that are too masculine (she couldn't stand jojo) and idk if the same applies to me but in reverse for Sailor Moon, another anime I thought of fomoing into :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
for the record the old sailor moon is a very good show, the new one clings to the manga too much while the old one is longer and explores the characters more better imo.

downside, there's like 200 eps for the whole deal

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Yossarian-22 posted:

My gf isn't really into anime that are too masculine (she couldn't stand jojo)

sounds like she ducked out too early

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Yossarian-22 posted:

My gf isn't really into anime that are too masculine (she couldn't stand jojo)

Does not compute

Also go watch Sailor Moon it’s probably the only thing you mentioned I’d actually recommend since everything else has about a million episodes

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
ya'll should be watching Yuru Camp / Laid-back Camp
season 2 ends this thursday :smith: now im sad because i have nothing else to replace it with

kinda mixed feelings on Silver Spoon so far. it doesnt help Plex/Sonarr massively hosed up the episode/season arrangement and I didn't notice and scrambled around midway trying to fix it. i didn't realize it wasn't wrapped up in s2 though and it's been 7 years since it last aired, so thats a bummer.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

KomradeX posted:

What is this?

Vlad Love. I don't think it's any good, but it Mamoru Oshii threw in a bunch of weird jokes and references all over, so I just watched it for that.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
not liking jojo is homophobic sorry not sorry

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

christmas boots posted:

not liking jojo is homophobic sorry not sorry

she is bi but ya igwym

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Yossarian-22 posted:

My gf isn't really into anime that are too masculine (she couldn't stand jojo) and idk if the same applies to me but in reverse for Sailor Moon, another anime I thought of fomoing into :v:

Try to get her to give another shot starting with part 4. The style really changes post stardust crusaders to be a lot less beefcakey.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

just watch Cromartie High School

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Good soup! posted:

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

the dub is good, recommended so you’re not reading and you can take everything in visually

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Yossarian-22 posted:

Okay so if I'm going to fomo into the anime I feel like I missed out on as a kid, which ones should I watch dubbed and subbed between:

>One Piece
>DBZ
>Naruto
>Yugioh

And where should I start/how many seasons should I watch of each (doubt I'll be watching 900+ episodes of One Piece or every DBZ series lmao)?

Also, as a basic af super heterosexual cisgendered man would I be able to stomach Sailor Moon? Likewise would my gf be able to stomach DBZ? :thunk:

Tbh all of those shows have fine dubs so it comes down to a matter of preference.

I would say that dubs are probably the safer bet, these are long often repetitive shows, and I'd imagine most would prefer not having to have their eyes glued to the screen in order to understand what's going on.

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020

Dreddout posted:

Tbh all of those shows have fine dubs so it comes down to a matter of preference.

I would say that dubs are probably the safer bet, these are long often repetitive shows, and I'd imagine most would prefer not having to have their eyes glued to the screen in order to understand what's going on.

the 4kids one piece dub is incredibly bad and censors so much its ridiculous, dont waste your time with that one. its so ridiculous its comical tho:

elaboration has issued a correction as of 00:45 on Mar 31, 2021

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Jojo is one of those things I can't get into but its aesthetic is so good that I'm happy that it exists. Like early FNAF.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

the 4kids one piece dub is incredibly bad and censors so much its ridiculous, dont waste your time with that one. its so ridiculous its comical tho:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7v7UWCfntk
THAT CHAKRAM IS TOO POWERFUL FOR AN AMATEUR TO HOLD

I think they meant the Funi dub tho which is fine I guess? not as good as the Japanese voices imo but whatever

Augus has issued a correction as of 01:58 on Mar 31, 2021

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
I don't understand why people tell people not to watch the One Piece anime because it gets bad 900 episodes in.

That seems like an issue you can deal with 900 episodes from now.

coathat
May 21, 2007

It's important to watch one piece and hear everyone's laugh

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I'm at the part of the anime where they meet Vivi and it is good. There's some blatant filler I skipped over but the voice acting and animation do add a lot to the story and the comedy.
are they seriously still trying to make a live action version of this? the series is so inherently cartoonish, it'd be like making a live-action Loony Tunes movie. not like a space jam or roger rabbit thing where it's mixing animation with live action, I mean like bugs bunny being a dude in a fursuit. like that mike myers cat in the hat movie.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Also the dub for Kai is a massive improvement over Z, but the broadcast dub has some funny rear end poo poo in it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M68i7ray2Qo

Also unrelated but mannnnnn the dub for Hajime no Ippo is even loving worse than I remember, it isn't so much the cast but the poor direction and weird script, everybody just talks in one tone - scenes where characters are whispering or tired/raspy, the dub actors are just talking with the same exact voice as every other scene and it's loving dumb

Also Takamura sounds like a massive dork instead of a tough guy, kiss of fuckin death

And the pronunciation on the names lmao "MAKA NO OOOHCHI"

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

the best way to experience dragonball is to read the manga

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Yossarian-22 posted:

Also, as a basic af super heterosexual cisgendered man would I be able to stomach Sailor Moon? Likewise would my gf be able to stomach DBZ? :thunk:

:staredog:

watch anything and everything you fool
you imbecile
It all has its merits

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

watch chars counter-attack

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Good soup! posted:

Although, Cromarite might be too utopian for most people, as these Japanese high school delinquents actually handle their problems with a good amount of intelligence and empathy.

Unless you care about Maeda then it's closer to dealing with a kafkaesuqie bureaucracy / Camus's absurdity.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

you know it’s a utopia because Freddy Mercury is still alive

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Augus posted:

I'm at the part of the anime where they meet Vivi and it is good. There's some blatant filler I skipped over but the voice acting and animation do add a lot to the story and the comedy.
are they seriously still trying to make a live action version of this? the series is so inherently cartoonish, it'd be like making a live-action Loony Tunes movie. not like a space jam or roger rabbit thing where it's mixing animation with live action, I mean like bugs bunny being a dude in a fursuit. like that mike myers cat in the hat movie.

Whiskey Peak is a great little arc.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Lostconfused posted:

Vlad Love. I don't think it's any good, but it Mamoru Oshii threw in a bunch of weird jokes and references all over, so I just watched it for that.

Maybe I'll give it a watch I've watched far more garbage anime than I should have

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Stairmaster posted:

the best way to experience dragonball is to read the manga

:emptyquote:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
the best way to experience Dragon Ball is to watch the Tree of Might movie and nothing else

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020
the original dragon ball series is great what are you people talking about!! its such a fun little adventure thing!

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 208 days!

Yossarian-22 posted:

the ideal time as a straight guy to watch sailor moon is when you can still feel guilty for being into a character because there's no way an older girl would date you

also yeah pre-z db is just a weird funny show about what if superman + the journey west

Hodgepodge has issued a correction as of 10:46 on Mar 31, 2021

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Lostconfused posted:

I thought Vlad Love was incredible you take it back.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
The original Dragon Ball is a lot of fun, Dragon Ball Z is really good, Dragon Ball Z Kai is an acceptable substitute if you don't have time for DBZ because you're a busy businessman always on the go, and Dragon Ball Super is entertaining.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

naruto is legitimately really good until the end of the chuunin exam arc

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I've seen DBZ all the way through, including all filler, like three times just as a consequence of being in elementary school at the time it was airing on Toonami.

I love the show obviously but I don't really know how a first-time viewer would feel about it. The show's storytelling and writing gets really flaky and weird around the Android Saga.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

That slime anime can either be seen as a white mans burden (blue slime burden?) or it can be seen as slime marx creating a society where each monster provides according to their ability to each according to their need. Regardless the society can only be preserved through overwhelming military power as humans will try to crush it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
I rewatched all of DBZ a couple years ago and came to the conclusion that it's better than the manga or Kai. Sure, some of the filler episodes are pretty lovely. But a lot of the additions make the story better. In the manga, Bulma just vanishes halfway through the Namek arc. The show giving her her own little adventures is an improvement. The additional challenges along Snake Way make the story better. There are even a couple little glimpses of normal people reacting to the apocalyptic events of the show and they're great, there's nothing like that in the manga.

People talk about Kai as if it took out all the powering up, but there's still a lot of powering up. Most of the cuts aren't powering up, it's fun stuff like Goku in hell or Piccolo getting a driver's license.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Bro Dad posted:

naruto is legitimately really good until the end of the chuunin exam arc

cmon dude, pain and itachi are pretty amazing too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Cao Ni Ma posted:

That slime anime can either be seen as a white mans burden (blue slime burden?) or it can be seen as slime marx creating a society where each monster provides according to their ability to each according to their need. Regardless the society can only be preserved through overwhelming military power as humans will try to crush it.

That’s about true to life I guess! We just need a modern marx that can call forth infinite laser cannons to kill capitalist invaders

I gotta respect it a little for not trying to find some happy middle ground in this last season given how hosed up the antagonists were

Kit Walker has issued a correction as of 16:56 on Mar 31, 2021