Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

MrYenko posted:

How has one else noticed the restraint-friendly bed and downstairs gently caress-dungeon?

i think the basement is just unfinished

also, kinda funny to me that the most creepy and evil aspect of that place is just the dang unsafe staircases. how vanilla! :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

By popular demand posted:

Goth culture is like a kitsch sink for all that is weird in modern christianity.

It's like a very poor Ozzy Osbourne lives there.

And yet it also has the disregard for the neighbors of a Rob Zombie. *strokes chin*

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Checking the threads I just realized how to fix this uninspired goth house: give it to Lil Nas X
:krad:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I found this thing on a random Tumblr post

More photos at the link

https://katy-l-wood.tumblr.com/post/647031311321726976/holy-poo poo-i-just-found-the-best-loving-house

and also a Virtual Tour !?! (lol exploring this is fantastic)

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/36570-Us-Highway-24-N-Buena-Vista-CO-81211/2076799379_zpid/?mmlb=p,0

Honest I was 50/50 on this thread or the Interior Design thread but the personal drug smuggling tunnel won me over.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!

The company that I ordered the trusses, engineered beams and joists for my house from back in December no longer wants to honour the price we agreed on. The deal was I ordered them in December, they deliver them in May, the price is set.

Well I guess they never bothered to set aside any materials because now they don't want to make them for that price. Materials have nearly doubled since February, so I have a good idea what that original $32k is going to look like.

:suicide:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Did you sign a contract?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

GreenNight posted:

Did you sign a contract?

This is all that matters.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

GreenNight posted:

Did you sign a contract?

I ordered through Home Hardware*, so it's sort of between them, but my understanding is that they don't usually do that as this situation is not something that has ever occurred or has been considered.

Edit: *I put the down payment (half) on my HH account, they order the trusses, when they arrive they pay for them, take the funds from my account and the other half that I pay them. The system is very rural Ontario and Covid just showed how it can be abused. I imagine that my situation (should it not be resolved satisfactorily) will be the impetus for it to change.

So, Yeah. I'm likely screwed. The guys at the HH know me, and are trying to hash something out, but the truss company can probably just refund me without any issues on their end and not lose a shitload of money.

Blistex fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 30, 2021

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah, you're screwed. My folks signed a contract a few months ago for a new build and the exact same place is now 20k more. Good thing they locked in. I told them if it keeps going, they can just sell their new build for a good profit. But gotta live somewhere.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Blistex posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!

The company that I ordered the trusses, engineered beams and joists for my house from back in December no longer wants to honour the price we agreed on. The deal was I ordered them in December, they deliver them in May, the price is set.

Well I guess they never bothered to set aside any materials because now they don't want to make them for that price. Materials have nearly doubled since February, so I have a good idea what that original $32k is going to look like.

:suicide:

Lumber is insane right now. Demand through the roof, and so are prices. I work for a lumber yard and some of our branches almost can't keep up. We have truckloads sold before they even hit the yard in some cases. We are already over $30 USD for 7/16 OSB. We'll probably see $50 at the rate its going. Some types of plywood have already went well past that.

We've had to change our policies on quotes; only honoring prices for like 1-2 days now.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

NoneMoreNegative posted:

More photos at the link

https://katy-l-wood.tumblr.com/post/647031311321726976/holy-poo poo-i-just-found-the-best-loving-house

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/36570-Us-Highway-24-N-Buena-Vista-CO-81211/2076799379_zpid/?mmlb=p,0

Honest I was 50/50 on this thread or the Interior Design thread but the personal drug smuggling tunnel won me over.

This is ominous:

You are here. We are close.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

By popular demand posted:

Goth culture is like a kitsch sink for all that is weird in modern christianity.

I've said that sufficiently advanced Catholicism is indistinguishable from being goth as hell

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Mom always tapes my achievements to the refrigerator :grin:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I mean, Colorado State though.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

In the midst of the clearly-emptied-before-the-photo-shoot sex dungeon and see-yourself-loving-at-every-angle-bed, I almost missed that that photo is of a "The Ring"-esque girl coming out of a TOILET.

Edit: Ok, maybe it's not a toilet...I guess it's just a round...container...of some kind, but whatever that circle thing behind her head is, it makes it look like a toilet.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

That's a toilet.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The Ring girl emerging from a toilet is the most authentic goth thing in the whole house. The rest takes itself too seriously.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

My Lovely Horse posted:

The Ring girl emerging from a toilet is the most authentic goth thing in the whole house. The rest takes itself too seriously.

If you look her hair is draped over the seat. She’s clearly going into the toilet.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I just noticed that the bathtub has handles. What? When was that ever a thing?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Is it a UK thing? My grandma had bathtub handles, I didn't think anything of it.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Well, Home Hardware went to bat and must have went in swinging. They negotiated a $5k increase which HH will eat.

I guess they threatened to get corporate involved and also asked how many other truss suppliers there are in province.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Blistex posted:

Well, Home Hardware went to bat and must have went in swinging. They negotiated a $5k increase which HH will eat.

I guess they threatened to get corporate involved and also asked how many other truss suppliers there are in province.

That's a hell of a lot of goodwill. Talk them up EVERYWHERE you can.

Glad to hear it's worked out.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Blistex posted:

holy poo poo, find out who made that happen and get them a nice bottle of something.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Blistex posted:

That is the opposite of what I expected to happen.

Great job for all the humans at HH that did a good thing for you!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Hell yeah!! Home Hardon, good for them!

Glad to hear your situation worked out for your benefit, also glad to hear that Home Hardware went to bat to help out a customer.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Facebook Aunt posted:

To hold onto when you get it going at the start of the bobsleigh run.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Yeah, they're good people. Also, I'm building this, and all of the materials (minus the lumber I cut) is coming from them. So they probably want to keep me happy.

https://beaverhomesandcottages.ca/Model/Gatineau

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Blistex posted:

Yeah, they're good people. Also, I'm building this, and all of the materials (minus the lumber I cut) is coming from them. So they probably want to keep me happy.

Nice! I really like the floorplan.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Nice! I really like the floorplan.

Thanks.

I wanted something that had a dead-simple foundation (removed the fireplace so it's just a rectangle now), two storey, master upstairs, two bath, and OC living/dining/kitchen. The loft was an added bonus.

Wife and I were looking to buy, but nearly every house we looked at had MASSIVE red flags (back in the 1960-70s a lot of people built their own houses with mixed results, and there were a few prolific contractors who did absolutely appalling work*). Anything that was not a horror show was at least 40-100% more than the year before.

-sump pump running 45 min straight
-20' exterior wall, second floor bulging ~6"
-waist-high water marks on basement walls
-structural cedar
-realtor has talked about the yard for an hour
-structural spray foam
-4" exterior walls. Not 2x4 walls, 4" in to out
-Realtor: "I'll go up the stairs first".
-a floor that made me seasick
-an addition that was approx 5° off from main
-five bedroom that was a 3Br five months prior
-asbestos floor + ceiling tiles
-1940s home made entirely of sawmill offcuts
*-Realtor: "why do you keep saying this is a George Peters job? What does that mean?"
Me: <unable to place realtor's business card into the room's corner because the card has 90° angles>

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

That layout is almost exactly what I want to build for my next home.

And almost all those descriptors describe my current one.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Well just call me a bull 'cause I've made a life out of charging headlong into red flags like that

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

NoneMoreNegative posted:

More photos at the link

So many '80s Kohler fixtures. The bathroom sinks. The Kohler Pillows faucets (pic 32 of 40). I didn't know anyone actually bought those. holy gently caress.

I worked at Kohler for too long.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Blistex that looks perf :3 Modest size and natural layout that allows for personal privacy without isolating anyone.

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff

Blistex posted:

I find most US/NA floor plans really weird but I'm liking this. Only minuses are the lack of space for a sauna, and the weird NA thing of not having the laundry in the main the bathroom. I think I'd extend the downstairs bathroom to include the hallway closet thing and move the laundry stuff in there, something like this:

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Facebook Aunt posted:

Its for people who have physical disabilities that makes getting into and out of the bath difficult.

Ashcans posted:

Is it a UK thing? My grandma had bathtub handles, I didn't think anything of it.

Such as if you are old.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Loezi posted:

I find most US/NA floor plans really weird but I'm liking this. Only minuses are the lack of space for a sauna, and the weird NA thing of not having the laundry in the main the bathroom. I think I'd extend the downstairs bathroom to include the hallway closet thing and move the laundry stuff in there, something like this:

Agreed, that makes sense to me - keep the potential water leaks on the waterproof floor, and don't run water and drainage to yet another part of the house. I'd maybe convert the space you save in the hallway to another closet to make up for the lost one, though?

(I'm not from the US either, so this may just be cultural habits speaking.)

Jows
May 8, 2002

Loezi posted:

I think you eliminated a mechanical closet. So HVAC or hot water, pick one!

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff

Jows posted:

I think you eliminated a mechanical closet. So HVAC or hot water, pick one!

Nothing in the drawing indicates that it'd be a mechanical closet, and it's drawn with the same shelves as the WICs of the bedrooms :shrug:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Thanks for the compliments.

Floorplan changes:

Master bathroom is shower only and I'm stealing a foot from the bedroom and closet. Also dropping the window in the closet.
Laundry closet will have a waterproof floor with a drain (just in case). I'll probably fit a small laundry sink in there and run forced air to the master behind it. Going to have stacked washing machine and dryer.
Full basement (9' actually) with furnace and on-demand water heater. Eventually storage and a rec room, bathroom, and bedroom for the in-laws.
Fireplace is being replaced with a sliding patio door.
Transoms removed from end wall and two windows having 2' removed from the bottom. (More than enough glass on that wall.
Kitchen sink against the back wall and inserting a window above it.

I'm hoping to pour my footings this month and get started, and move in by September. Will probably start a build thread when I do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

NoneMoreNegative posted:

More photos at the link

I like that they do with TVs what most people do with wallpaper. Interesting seat setup too, but they are limited for space in the parlor alcove or whatever the hell they choose for the room they actually use, vs the fireplace room that looks like they wanted to entertain, but had no friends.
It very much looks like a house I would build in a video game where each room or feature unlocks without any indication of how it will look or any opportunity to see in advance to plan a cohesive structure.