Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

I must not be the only one whose cats like to sit at the feet of the VRer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

dupersaurus posted:

I feel like pavlov shack is basically a demo of pavlov. Nuts that they are going to be charging for it and double nuts that anyone would expect some kind of expectation for crossplay with pc

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

MrOnBicycle posted:

Looked into Until You Fall after a recommendation a couple of pages back. Looks good, but are there any other roguelike games that have more "realistic" feel to them? Or just some skill based sword fighting game without magic and that isn't a buggy mess?

Hotdogs Horshoes and Hand grenades probably. The Take and Hold is basically roguelike, but without any progress. There is a Rottenweiner mode which is basically a adventure roguelike where you unlock better weapons as you do quests across lives. You're fighting killer hotdogs but the guns are as realistic as it gets.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

dupersaurus posted:

My cats do this all the time. I play standing on a carpet that likes to shift while I play so one of my cats goes apeshit when she sees the carpet bunching up too, for some reason. I am not sure she knows what to think of seeing me talking to nobody swinging my arms around and poo poo in the living room tbh.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

dupersaurus posted:

My cat likes to come hang out on the rug that I'm standing on. She used to lie on one of the back corners until one day I stepped backwards and stepped on her tail.

Now she lies on a front corner instead, because cats understand the direction a person is facing but absolutely do not understand VR.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
When I had my CV1 I'd play pokerstars sitting in a camping chair (My VR area is behind my PC desk, not in front of it). One of my cats jumped in my lap suddenly which was probably the scariest VR moment I had. Little moron never does that either, but decided when I have a big thing with wires strapped to my head that was a good time.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more
wow why does pavlov just insist on not letting pc players play with quest owners

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

sea of losers posted:

wow why does pavlov just insist on not letting pc players play with quest owners

The difference in settings gives one a huge advantage over the other, iirc. That grass you're cunningly hiding in on PC? Quest players don't have that for performance reasons. Stuff like that.

(Or is that Contractors I'm thinking of? I know it's explicitly why for one of those kinds of games.)

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

sea of losers posted:

The dev said something along the lines of pc version being always "on the bleeding edge". They also won't be able to play with PSVR owners.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Turin Turambar posted:

More features to Guardian incoming

Yes, a feature to make me blind to the tripping hazard seems like exactly what I want.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

FredMSloniker posted:

Yes, a feature to make me blind to the tripping hazard seems like exactly what I want.

That feature already exists, it's called 'putting a VR headset on your head'.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The difference in settings gives one a huge advantage over the other, iirc. That grass you're cunningly hiding in on PC? Quest players don't have that for performance reasons. Stuff like that.

(Or is that Contractors I'm thinking of? I know it's explicitly why for one of those kinds of games.)

contractors has crossplay iirc

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I just got a Lenovo Explorer second hand and I'm loving The Room, what are some other games like this? I also got I Expect You To Die which is good but it feels a lot more trial and error, a bit like Please Don't Touch Anything. I like the setting of The Room, the physical interaction with stuff (why I loved the mobile games), and also that it's low stress.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

sea of losers posted:

contractors has crossplay iirc

Didn't they downgrade the PCVR version graphically to support that though?

I get the impression Pavlov Shack is a different game, hence the lack of crossplay with Pavlov-PC. I'm more curious about PSVR2 having a Quest2 game targetted at it, I'd assume PSVR2 would be more akin to today's PCVR games, not Quest games.

Mang Tomas
Jan 9, 2007
How is the contractors player base? A lot more people playing now?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

dupersaurus posted:

I bumped into my cat a couple times while in VR and now he's learned to sit right at the edge of my study. He's a quick learner.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

FredMSloniker posted:

Maybe sweep up your legos before stomping around? I assume it can't reliably spot something smaller than your hand which is why it doesn't bother.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I saw some gameplay of Synth Riders and it looked fun, but I'm a little concerned about how bad it is about swinging your arms too far overhead. I've whacked my ceiling fan's lights a few times in VR, once so hard it broke the globe off, and I'd rather not do that again so soon after I already fixed it.

I mean, I will do it again but I'd rather not play something that encourages it. Most games are fine, the two I've really had issues with are Superhot and Blade and Sorcery.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!

King Vidiot posted:

I saw some gameplay of Synth Riders and it looked fun, but I'm a little concerned about how bad it is about swinging your arms too far overhead. I've whacked my ceiling fan's lights a few times in VR, once so hard it broke the globe off, and I'd rather not do that again so soon after I already fixed it.

I mean, I will do it again but I'd rather not play something that encourages it. Most games are fine, the two I've really had issues with are Superhot and Blade and Sorcery.

I've not played lots of tracks, but the ones I did play didn't have me swinging my arms above my head - about head height was as high as I was moving them.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

King Vidiot posted:

Theres some spots you'll reach, but its not a full stretch, so unless your fans light is really low it shouldnt be an issue. With that in mind on the hardest difficulty you may wanna be mindful though. I'm trying to think of any maps specifically that reach upward like that and actually at the top of the mapping range, and I can't think of anything that stands out but I know for fuckin SURE theres a few crouch to stand high right high lefts that are 100% potential for smashing a light but I also don't think they are so out of nowhere you wouldn't be able to go "yeah dont swing too hard here ha".

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 30, 2021

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

EbolaIvory posted:

Theres some spots you'll reach, but its not a full stretch, so unless your fans light is really low it shouldnt be an issue. With that in mind on the hardest difficulty you may wanna be mindful though. I'm trying to think of any maps specifically that reach upward like that and actually at the top of the mapping range, and I can't think of anything that stands out but I know for fuckin SURE theres a few crouch to stand high right high lefts that are 100% potential for smashing a light but I also don't think they are so out of nowhere you wouldn't be able to go "yeah dont swing too hard here ha".

Hey you seem to play synth riders a lot, speaking of stretching, have you mucked about with this:

Skyarb posted:

For those who play synthriders have you hosed about with the room scale multiplier? I tried 1.2 and liked it, then tried 1.5 (the max) and felt it made some maps a bit too hard to read even if it did get me moving more and now I cannot decide between 1.2 and 1.3.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Oh, can you make the room scale even smaller so everything's like chest height? :v:

I hate that drat fan though, it came with the house and the house is about a foot smaller in my living room than a normal house. I can touch my ceiling with just a tiny hop, and the lights are just above my head by a few inches. I have plenty of room to where I don't have to stand right under them, but "center" puts me to the left of the light, with my right hand just able to swipe it.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

King Vidiot posted:

Oh, can you make the room scale even smaller so everything's like chest height? :v:

I hate that drat fan though, it came with the house and the house is about a foot smaller in my living room than a normal house. I can touch my ceiling with just a tiny hop, and the lights are just above my head by a few inches. I have plenty of room to where I don't have to stand right under them, but "center" puts me to the left of the light, with my right hand just able to swipe it.

When I moved into my house last year I removed the fan in my vr room for the same reason. Not its a low profile ceiling light. Problem solved.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008
Is anyone here able to get this new ReShade VR CAS mod working with Dirt Rally 2.0 in VR mode?

When I use it in combination with kegetys eye accomodation d3d11.dll then ReShade doesn't load at all, at least in VR mode. If I disable kegetys mod then dirtrally2.exe crashes with an access violation shortly after launching.

It works perfectly fine with and without kegetys mod in non-VR mode (though I'm not sure if his mod does anything in non-VR mode?). It also works fine in other VR titles, like Eleven Table Tennis.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Skyarb posted:

Hey you seem to play synth riders a lot, speaking of stretching, have you mucked about with this:

Yeah its a rad game. I only found it because the lead dev was trolling twitch beat saber streams back when saber first came out. Turned out, the game had hella potential and aben is a rad dude.

Skyarb posted:

For those who play synthriders have you hosed about with the room scale multiplier? I tried 1.2 and liked it, then tried 1.5 (the max) and felt it made some maps a bit too hard to read even if it did get me moving more and now I cannot decide between 1.2 and 1.3.

So thats basically a personal taste thing. I actually run mine at default of 1.0 and my height is set to 1.7 or so. I can't even really say which would be better. Its such a personal thing.

Sorry I wish I had a better answer on that, but really up to how you play.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Skyarb posted:

When I moved into my house last year I removed the fan in my vr room for the same reason. Not its a low profile ceiling light. Problem solved.

Yeah, will definitely get around to that, but in the meantime I'm just going easy on the monkey swinging.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I've been watching the H3VR Devlog videos recently and this guy is really good at making his game look awesome. I kind of assumed the person behind this game would be a weird nazi or something but he doesn't seem to be which is great!

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Nope, just a well meaning gun weirdo. Unlike the Pavlov dev who is a notorious rear end in a top hat.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I think his use of hot dogs as the enemies is a good sign he is a good dude, having gone out of his way to defuse any potentially bad optics about the game.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Warbird posted:

Nope, just a well meaning gun weirdo. Unlike the Pavlov dev who is a notorious rear end in a top hat.

lol yeah the dude looks exactly as I imagined he would, but he seems pretty grounded and just fuckin' loves attention to detail.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
I played some gorilla tag tonight. It's going to take some getting used to the movement system. Several times I nearly fell over and I twisted up my cable worse than it has ever been.

It was fun though once I discovered how to mute the innumerable children. Is there a special button press I haven't tried that lets me find another room to play in?

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Nuts and Gum posted:

lol yeah the dude looks exactly as I imagined he would, but he seems pretty grounded and just fuckin' loves attention to detail.

As far as I've heard about the guy, he really just likes guns because he thinks they're cool and fun to shoot, but hates violence so he despises the concept of putting human enemies in, so

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
Tried Alyx on my Quest 2 and my 1080 yesterday and it worked flawlessly, woot! My old PC rig is still kicking rear end all these years later.

Do you all know if there any plans to make playing Steam VR on the Quest less janky? I got it to work through the whole Oculus developer mode path, but it would be lovely if that was supported natively without all the loving around. Or is there no way Facebook will let you use their hardware easily with anything but what's on their official store?

On an unrelated note, I noticed that VR games never seem to focus on what I'm holding in my hand, and I have to keep it away from me at arm's length in order to have it in focus at all. Is that because the headset has no idea what my eyes are looking at, so it doesn't know which plane in the game should be in focus and what should be blurry?

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

DreadCthulhu posted:

Do you all know if there any plans to make playing Steam VR on the Quest less janky? I got it to work through the whole Oculus developer mode path, but it would be lovely if that was supported natively without all the loving around. Or is there no way Facebook will let you use their hardware easily with anything but what's on their official store?

Quest 2 with Link worked perfectly in SteamVR for me with no loving around, I don't even know what you mean by "the whole Oculus developer mode path". :confused:

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

just gonna do whatever I want to do, all the time

DreadCthulhu posted:

What issues are you having? In the vast majority of cases you should be able to launch SteamVR and games from your PC while Oculus Home is open without having to futz with settings at all.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Tip posted:

Quest 2 with Link worked perfectly in SteamVR for me with no loving around, I don't even know what you mean by "the whole Oculus developer mode path". :confused:

I assumed they meant the part of the Virtual Desktop setup that required you to make a fake developer account, but I don't think that's needed now that VD has it built into the production branch?

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!

explosivo posted:

I assumed they meant the part of the Virtual Desktop setup that required you to make a fake developer account, but I don't think that's needed now that VD has it built into the production branch?

Oh interesting, I was just following the instructions from this January from https://techwewant.com/how-to-play-half-life-alyx-on-oculus-quest-2-wireless-or-wired-61b7cc511c4d or other sites that have you sign up as a developer, register an org and all of that. Maybe that's no longer necessary now.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

DreadCthulhu posted:

Oh interesting, I was just following the instructions from this January from https://techwewant.com/how-to-play-half-life-alyx-on-oculus-quest-2-wireless-or-wired-61b7cc511c4d or other sites that have you sign up as a developer, register an org and all of that. Maybe that's no longer necessary now.

Yeah I am not too sure either, I definitely did have to do this when I bought it but this was before they made it an official thing. I don't really know how it works since I have it already but I am pretty sure you can just download it from the store now and it lets you do the wireless streaming without the rigmarole

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

just gonna do whatever I want to do, all the time

DreadCthulhu posted:

Ah, yeah, the dev stuff there is just to enable the Virtual Desktop PCVR patch, which is no longer required as it's available in the regular Quest store version, like explosivo said. It's never been required for wired play, though, SteamVR works natively through Oculus Link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

explosivo posted:

I've been watching the H3VR Devlog videos recently and this guy is really good at making his game look awesome. I kind of assumed the person behind this game would be a weird nazi or something but he doesn't seem to be which is great!

Literally the opposite, Anton is a good guy and regularly shits on fascists on his twitter.

priznat posted:

I think his use of hot dogs as the enemies is a good sign he is a good dude, having gone out of his way to defuse any potentially bad optics about the game.

And in fact people regularly shout at him to put in real people (and even go so far as to issue death threats) and he just tells them to get hosed