Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

resistentialism posted:

Hey! What are you doing to that!? I made that as a incarnation of my blood!

I don’t know why I can’t stop laughing at this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Pauper didn't have Force. I think Chamale's point is a good one, though it's worth discussing the differences between it and Chain combo and what that means for viability. I haven't played enough Legacy lately to have a real opinion, but the top decks having 5-6 force and a bunch of 1 mana disruption and maybe Daze makes me default to skeptical.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Ariong posted:

Honestly I'm really glad the bad guys and the big fight are taking a backseat. One of my biggest pet peeves about MTG is the insistence that every set has to be based around some big conflict. "Magic is a competitive game, the sets need to depict a fight so we can print cards that represent attacks!" Yet here we have a set where most of the creatures are students and professors and most of the spells are those people doing school stuff and it works great. Environmental Sciences is so much more memorable than Chandra Throws Fire At Someone Again.

Hard agree. Regular Fantasy poo poo Happens is consistently the best setting. Ravnica is a great example of this. What was the plot of Ravnica? Who knows or cares, but the set is legendary.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Justin_Brett posted:

I guess they can't all be winners but this dude really does feel like a filler arc bad guy

This is the guy the avengers finish off in the first 10 minutes to re-establish the characters for those who missed the first movie and setting the stakes low so that the real bad guy can raise them and feel truly menacing by comparison.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

sit on my Facebook posted:

Hard agree. Regular Fantasy poo poo Happens is consistently the best setting. Ravnica is a great example of this. What was the plot of Ravnica? Who knows or cares, but the set is legendary.

Which one? The one where Argus Kos arrests a secret guild master publically and breaks the guildpact or the one where they have to run a maze?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

at first I thought resculpt was total trash, but working well with treasures means it's probably reasonable in limited

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Silhouette posted:

Historic Feather? It's your cousin, Marvin! Marvin Feather? You know that aggressive synergistic one drop you've been looking for? Well, look at THIS!

I'm in just based on this joke alone.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Elyv posted:

at first I thought resculpt was total trash, but working well with treasures means it's probably reasonable in limited

Jokes and all that, but Resculpt is going to be a mono-U EDH staple.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Elyv posted:

These both look like strong limited cards - you don't get combat tricks which do your decks synergy thing every day!

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

wow the art style for prismari owns and the cards are hella cool too. Loving this set so far! everything is forgiven wizards

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Elyv posted:

i'm glad will and rowan managed to kill the boss before the raid wiped

Well Mehrunes Dagon only has 1000 health so it's easy to just reflect damage on him until he melts.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I'm just not sure what that X spell is for. Like you spend 8 mana to make 2 mana, draw 3 cards, deal 3 damage to your opponent? That might be the least you can get for 8 mana

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

A Moose posted:

I'm just not sure what that X spell is for. Like you spend 8 mana to make 2 mana, draw 3 cards, deal 3 damage to your opponent?

You exile X cards and what happens depends on what got exiled!

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

If you're jammed full of izzet cards it gets a little better.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

A Moose posted:

I'm just not sure what that X spell is for. Like you spend 8 mana to make 2 mana, draw 3 cards, deal 3 damage to your opponent? That might be the least you can get for 8 mana

Yeah the idea is you have a lot of U/R gold and hybrid cards so you double up on the blue and red effects

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
You also have all these cost-reduction and treasure-making effects so you can make X really big.

Not quite Expansion & Explosion but not many things are.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's clearly a seed for the upcoming Painter's Servant reprint.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

Frost Lynx has been sent to the big farm upstate to join Wind Drake.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Tulul posted:

This is a dbz fusion, the one with the earrings.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Around the release of Eldraine (give or take a set) they settled on a new classification system for card classes. Generally if a person wields magic, then their class depends on their color: white = cleric, blue = wizard, black = warlock, red = shaman, green = druid. I really liked that. Then that all got put away for a bit due to the ZNR party thing. I'm glad it's back.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Pauper didn't have Force. I think Chamale's point is a good one, though it's worth discussing the differences between it and Chain combo and what that means for viability. I haven't played enough Legacy lately to have a real opinion, but the top decks having 5-6 force and a bunch of 1 mana disruption and maybe Daze makes me default to skeptical.

Yeah chamale definitely has a good point I just cannot resist an opportunity to mention my favorite pauper deck that died for foils sins. Pauper definitely has daze when tribe was legal though.

Actual thoughts on the legacy viability of chains combo: If you stick with the golgari enabler you are in the colors for thoughtseize/hymn/veil so you could go t1 thoughtseize, t2 golgari spell drain guy, t3 veil and chain. But that seems extremely low power for legacy.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Tulul posted:

Why hello there best blue common in the set

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

I swear these Blue and Red cards were designed with a big notice on the whiteboard that said "DO NOT MAKE STORM STRONG".

So many cards coming inches close to being good, then falling.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Tulul posted:

plot twist: they are dating and love each other immensely

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Can a lore master speak to the similarities between Kozilek and Strixhaven I see people keep talking about?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

They're trying to convince Man'o'War to join their fusion.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

fadam posted:

Can a lore master speak to the similarities between Kozilek and Strixhaven I see people keep talking about?

The big shoulder pads and multiple arms on a large colorless creature with some floaty bits look like an eldrazi
E: use the new iok art
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/price/Strixhaven+Mystical+Archive/Inquisition+of+Kozilek#paper

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Mar 31, 2021

radlum
May 13, 2013
Are Mill decks seen in poor taste? I've been using one on MTG Arena today and had some fun (though I also lost many matches), but I can see people being mad at playing those.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

The fact there are colorless spells hints at it as well.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

radlum posted:

Are Mill decks seen in poor taste? I've been using one on MTG Arena today and had some fun (though I also lost many matches), but I can see people being mad at playing those.

Play what you like, gently caress the haters.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

radlum posted:

I used to love mill, now I don't, because whenever I play mill I lose terribly and when I play against it I lose badly.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

radlum posted:

Mill is fine. I personal dislike it but it's FTP and concede is just a click away.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

radlum posted:

Mill is fine, people are just very, very bad at understanding probability. It was statistically just as likely for you to mill two lands drawing them closer to their wincon as it was for you to mill two spells, but people tilt like nothing else when you mill a good card, instead of having the rational response of untapping, turning their dudes sideways and killing you since you're playing a burn deck that spots its opponents 33 life.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

fadam posted:

Also these tweets seem to have set things off
https://twitter.com/BarbariansRidd1/status/1376916283925483526
https://twitter.com/GavinVerhey/status/1376988492501241865

Not to mention the dual lands being Snarls that bear some passing similarity to the Roil.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also when the meta is that you're facing tons of mill decks, you can show up with a giant pile of poo poo 120 card deck and win with it and that makes them mad because your deck is so crap, but you're all like "oh how cute, crabs" while you're slowly durdling your way to a big green dude or some fliers or whatever. I like to bust out my stupid old decks whenever it seems like mill is happening more, and my daily is "cast 20 green spells" or whatever.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
there's a reason why the rogue decks aren't 'mill you out,' it's 'mill you enough that all my cards get better'

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Hadn't noticed the similarities between Warsinger and Shrine of the Forsaken Gods or the tentacles on the dragon.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Shrecknet posted:

Mill is fine, people are just very, very bad at understanding probability. It was statistically just as likely for you to mill two lands drawing them closer to their wincon as it was for you to mill two spells, but people tilt like nothing else when you mill a good card, instead of having the rational response of untapping, turning their dudes sideways and killing you since you're playing a burn deck that spots its opponents 33 life.

It is annoying when they haven't killed you but you got like, 13 cards left and you can see your graveyard and go "hmm....I only have 2 creatures left in my deck, and no board presence, so I have no way of winning."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

hell yeah, an untap anything effect on arena