Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ben Soosneb posted:

Happy 101st birthday Patrick Troughton!

Matt Smith: Thank y-oh ho ho, you almost got me to admit something I'm not supposed to :laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

:kingsley:

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1375417247930449922?s=20

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Imagine these stories are going to be standard latter day Big Finish bobbins but chills at hearing my boi Eccles again :unsmith:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I appreciate all the use of the Deviant Strain font, like it's 2005-2009 again.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Big Finish using a TV Movie era picture of the Eighth Doctor for the last monthly story feels strange after them using newer photos of McGann for the last few years. The more modern photos just feel like they represent Eight as a character better, and it made a nice change from the old publicity stills.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

OldMemes posted:

Big Finish using a TV Movie era picture of the Eighth Doctor for the last monthly story feels strange after them using newer photos of McGann for the last few years. The more modern photos just feel like they represent Eight as a character better, and it made a nice change from the old publicity stills.

8 is at that point in his personal timeline though--he's traveling with Charley in the not-too-long-post-TV-Movie era

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I had a five-hour drive this past week and I finally got around to listening to the second set of Ten/Donna (and Wilf!) audios. Just hearing Tennant and Tate banter back and forth like they do made the drive fly by. The second CD in the set had a Judoon trainee who might be the funniest supporting character in a long time.

I remember going "oh God, the 'am I bowered' comedian is going to be on the show" and now Donna's my favorite revival companion.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Been thinking a lot about Who recently, and I must say:

While I love Tennant as an actor, I tire of the "lonely god on the throne of judgement" aspect of Ten. So. Much.

It looks worse in hindsight when Twelve accomplished a lot of the goals Ten wanted so badly (a restored Gallifrey, a rehabilitated Master) not because he believed he was the most powerful thing in the universe and entitled to play god, but because he just wanted to help save people by any means possible and had endless empathy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I really like how David Tennant says "twitter" in his natural accent.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/DWMtweets/status/1376479617347948545?s=20

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1376542253016092673?s=20

In Vol 3, The Ninth Doctor will face The Cybermen! And in Vol 4, he'll team up with The Brigadier!

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Mar 29, 2021

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The big finish page also confirms that all of these stories are pre-Rose. So I guess he literally did just never look in the mirror.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
He can't see himself in audio, duh

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I really hope they can get Billie on board.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I am so happy about all of this. The world might be crumbling all around us but at least he's back!! (In audio form). Never thought this day would come.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Never thought about it this way

https://twitter.com/kittenry/status/1376594256857600011?s=20

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I think there's a word that sums that up.

Fantastic

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Eccleston looks like he could be in a Hammer horror movie with that beard.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Cybermen on the set of Metropolis :vince:

Finally listened to this and God I missed him :hellyeah:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Finally listened to this and God I missed him :hellyeah:

Same here! There are a lot of things I may gripe about in regards to NuWho, but Eccleston as Nine is definitely not one of them. :)

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

jivjov posted:

The big finish page also confirms that all of these stories are pre-Rose. So I guess he literally did just never look in the mirror.

I always figured that you could fit a LOT of stories into that bit between him leaving and him coming back here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX-R1lfycmw&t=66s, that way you keep the mirror and "new Doctor", but also keep the "TV season is his victory lap".

But I guess not!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

BooDooBoo posted:

I always figured that you could fit a LOT of stories into that bit between him leaving and him coming back here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX-R1lfycmw&t=66s, that way you keep the mirror and "new Doctor", but also keep the "TV season is his victory lap".

But I guess not!

I was kind of thinking they might go that route myself, but I'm fine with him having pre-Rose adventures as well. :)

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010
Hopefully there's just a running joke where every time the Doctor is about to come into contact with a reflective surface, something keeps jumping in the way.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
One last bout of amnesia, for old times' sake.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
One throwaway line about "not wanting to look himself in the eye" and I'll be satisfied

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Hopefully they'll touch on Nine's PTSD, but not make it the whole focus. Let him have some fun too - he's trying to be the Doctor again after 400 odd years of violence and thinking he committed a genocide. War Doctor Begins will probably touch on some darker subject matter.

Master! is out, but I'm probably not going to get it until it goes on sale in a bundle at some point. It's a crossover with Vienna Salvatori, a series I've literally never heard anyone talk about (and the Doctor Who Wiki doesn't regard as canon to the DWU for some reason).

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I think only one episode of Master! has Vienna in it

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Romana: Doctor, I've arranged for the people of Earth to hold hands and form an image of your face. If you could turn your head slightly to the right?
Nine: Bah, no time!
Steven Moffat furiously scribbles down ideas for the Tennant years

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

One last bout of amnesia, for old times' sake.

Hahaha :allears:

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Eight having amnesia in the EDA books for years, and it not getting resolved 'onscreen' is a big reason why I don't consider them canon. That plot point dragged on for ages, and the Doctor was deeply uninterested in even being mildly curious about his identity or past, which seems really out of character.

That and the EDA's had such odd editorial oversight that they end up being a mishmash of half developed and forgotten plot points and tones because the range only implies and hints at major things, and outright forgets story threads. There's some fun standalone stories, I guess. Fitz was a fun character, but he's stuck in the non-canon zone!

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Apr 2, 2021

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The EDA's are good, they do resolve that plotline, and nothing is canon - plus Fitz turns up in a bunch of Big Finish stuff so...

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

To be honest, I always thought that the "there is no canon" thing was a bit of an oversimplification, since there are Doctor Who multi-media spin-offs that can't be canon. Obviously with Doctor Who you have a wildly different group of writers writing stories, rather than one coherent story, but there's rough rules of thumb for what counts and what doesn't. Fitz's stuff in Big Finish is like when they used to do stories set in divergent canons, like the Frobisher audios.

Zagreus had a plot point that the EDAs took place in an alternative timeline, and Night of the Doctor cements Big Finish as the canon 8th Doctor timeline. There used to be a thing that the 8th Doctor audio takes place in a gap in the EDAs, where the Doctor leaves Sam Jones at a protest and has three years worth of adventures, but that idea quickly became outdated (plus why would want to hang out with Sam again - who was the worst - over much better characters like Charley or every BF companion that isn't C'rizz?).

It seems like the problem with the EDAs is that the ongoing plot line spiraled way out of control. Faction Paradox were an interesting reoccurring villain, but they and the Enemy became far too abstract for the setting, and it seems like a lot of the different writers had diverging visions for what they wanted the story to be, and how the plot line was going to carry on.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 2, 2021

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Frobisher needs to make the leap to the show already. I'm getting impatient.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I know that the companion is meant to be the audience stand-in who the Doctor explains the plot to, but having some companions who aren't from modern day Earth in the show again might be fun. I'm hoping they give John Bishop's character an interesting personality. Out of the previous three, only Graham seemed to have any, and that was because Bradley Walsh was mostly playing himself.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Edward Mass posted:

The reason the Doctor doesn’t go back to the far past is because that story happened. It’s hard to imagine another Doctor Who story involving cavemen without people saying “wait a minute, this is just An Unearthly Child!”

Never been able to much watch the ancient Who, whether they remake that episode outright or revisit the premise, seems like fair game to repeat. Are people really going to be like "Hmm, y'all already DID THAT one THOUSAND years ago, kind of, in a different way." There's also plenty of room in the ancient world for Whoventures. Get into that Bronze Age collapse, very mysterious and spooky and room for Whooey. Get into the first people to discover agriculture and immediately slavery as well in the same breadth, got some Who lesson room. Hell, those folks get wiped out by barbarians not long after starting civilization, lots of stuff they could do in ancient Sumeria alone.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

OldMemes posted:

I know that the companion is meant to be the audience stand-in who the Doctor explains the plot to, but having some companions who aren't from modern day Earth in the show again might be fun. I'm hoping they give John Bishop's character an interesting personality. Out of the previous three, only Graham seemed to have any, and that was because Bradley Walsh was mostly playing himself.

Give us a goddamned talking Penguin

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Khanstant posted:

Never been able to much watch the ancient Who, whether they remake that episode outright or revisit the premise, seems like fair game to repeat. Are people really going to be like "Hmm, y'all already DID THAT one THOUSAND years ago, kind of, in a different way." There's also plenty of room in the ancient world for Whoventures. Get into that Bronze Age collapse, very mysterious and spooky and room for Whooey. Get into the first people to discover agriculture and immediately slavery as well in the same breadth, got some Who lesson room. Hell, those folks get wiped out by barbarians not long after starting civilization, lots of stuff they could do in ancient Sumeria alone.

As a bronze age enthusiast this would all be awesome but since no-one ever really makes stuff set in the bronze age there's no-one for Who to steal costumes and sets from. So we'll have to settle for endless romans

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Rhyno posted:

Give us a goddamned talking Penguin

Let's just adapt The Holy Terror while we're at it. That story is so bonkers, I love it.

Barry Foster posted:

As a bronze age enthusiast this would all be awesome but since no-one ever really makes stuff set in the bronze age there's no-one for Who to steal costumes and sets from. So we'll have to settle for endless romans

I have to say hearing this idea makes me want it very badly. Hell, let's see Dr Who and the Sea Peoples.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
I just assume anything that isn't canon will eventually be canon, the episode that makes them canon just hasn't happened yet. Like Big Finish wasn't canon for years and years, then Night of the Doctor happened.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

McGann posted:

I have to say hearing this idea makes me want it very badly. Hell, let's see Dr Who and the Sea Peoples.

that'd be great but I have to say I don't trust Chib-Who to do the subject without falling rear end backwards (or forwards, frankly) into..."unfortunate" connotations

EDIT like they'd definitely go all in on the idea that the Sea Peoples were the sole cause of the collapse, as opposed to being a symptom of it

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

McGann posted:

Let's just adapt The Holy Terror while we're at it. That story is so bonkers, I love it.

I'll bet they could make up some very interesting Lost Civilization stuff with Doggerland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Astroman posted:

I'll bet they could make up some very interesting Lost Civilization stuff with Doggerland.
Someone is trying to radically change the history of western Europe and by extension the world, by giving the people of Doggerland ( :haw: ) the advanced future technology of... dikes.