Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Whats with the butterflies around the mons in multi mon missions?

Doing the sumofrog/volvi The Hottest Around, and they both have red butterflies following them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Any suggestions for a good starter high rank set to make first?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

T1g4h posted:

I definitely don't remember it doing that in base World, or if it did it sure as hell wasn't as noticeable. I remember dicking around in Expeditions for what felt like ages with no issue :shrug:

It wasn't as granular as it in Rise, and it didn't have the red border all the time, so it was definitely less noticible.

Either that or you're too used to Fatalis armor which did make your stamina perma-maxed.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

The radial crafting is much better than I gave it credit for, so kudos for that. I'm still getting a feel for my bowgun, took it out for some tests and I find myself having a little trouble properly positioning. But it does feel good occasionally, it's just something to get used to and learn just like any other weapon twould seem.

The Tigrex Bowgun has bad deviation but can walk with all the powerful ammo types so I'm gonna try it for a bit. Taking it out in the training area it seemed the deviation only really heavily affected Normal Ammo, and the others have critical distance close enough to a monster that it shouldn't ultimately be that big a deal? But we'll try it for a bit. Really I should be progressing instead of dicking around so much so I can get up to better types, especially elemental types, since those seem like the big draw.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Shlapintogan posted:

Magnamalo give me your drat plates you son of a bitch :argh:

Seriously mother fucker :argh:

Why are all the good horns stuck with poo poo song lists :argh:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Neo_Crimson posted:

It wasn't as granular as it in Rise, and it didn't have the red border all the time, so it was definitely less noticible.

Either that or you're too used to Fatalis armor which did make your stamina perma-maxed.

Okay, so i'm not crazy then. I legitimately never noticed it in World, not due to Fatalis but apparently it just wasn't as obvious.

Also where do I get Energy Drinks in Rise, then? I just beat Great Izuchi so i'm just starting out in this one.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I think world was just an outlier in that stamina cap loss was just very slow. GU and rise seem pretty similar for stamina cap loss, in that it is pretty fast.

Kilazar posted:

Doing the sumofrog/volvi The Hottest Around, and they both have red butterflies following them.

I'm not sure, but I've seen them around basarios' back rocks as well, so it's not a multi-monster thing at least, I think. Couldn't figure out if you could do anything with them, though.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

T1g4h posted:

Okay, so i'm not crazy then. I legitimately never noticed it in World, not due to Fatalis but apparently it just wasn't as obvious.

Also where do I get Energy Drinks in Rise, then? I just beat Great Izuchi so i'm just starting out in this one.

I feel like I'm eating more ration's per mission that world. And I never got far in world. Just to HR. In Rise I'm eating a ration after every engagement right after the monster decides to peace out to a new zone cause. I go through 4 a mission.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Kilazar posted:

chumbler posted:

I'm not sure, but I've seen them around basarios' back rocks as well, so it's not a multi-monster thing at least, I think. Couldn't figure out if you could do anything with them, though.

I was thinking it was something to do with one of the helper cage creatures.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
On this hunt I have no helpers.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Kilazar posted:

On this hunt I have no helpers.

What about your cat if you brought one? One of the attacks they could have is a ballista that fires helper animals at a monster.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Qubee posted:

Would you lot suggest MH: World for me and my group of rather short attention-spanned friends? I just want something we can all play and have a blast with, and if the combat system is good, I'll enjoy it, even if it's grindy. I think they'll like it because they were all majorly hooked to World of Warcraft's Dungeons / Raids, and they all liked the gear progression that offered.

On the plus side, it's an amazingly fun (and chill, mostly) multiplayer game with outstanding combat and that endless grind of do-thing-to-get-gear-to-do-bigger-thing. It's more action-oriented than an RPG but the loot demons will be satisfied. The stakes are low and the fun is high. Outside of a couple of bad gimmick fights, there's no "roles" and everyone is just a murderer.

On the negative side, World implemented a dumb mechanic where everyone has to watch a new monster cutscene before they can group for it. So maintaining a group playing is a chore as everyone needs to see the cutscene, abandon quest, then join one person's game to do multiplayer. You have to do this for every cutscene and most people gave up and just soloed through to the endgame. Rise (and all previous titles) has multiplayer in its own little area without cutscenes, but won't be available on PC until next year.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

T1g4h posted:

I definitely don't remember it doing that in base World, or if it did it sure as hell wasn't as noticeable. I remember dicking around in Expeditions for what felt like ages with no issue :shrug:

Ir was absolutely like that in base world

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

The ”load” times in this are loving magic. No idea how they pulled this off.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
When doing hub quests with the help request on it seems to take like 10 to 15 minutes for anyone to actually show up. Like I've already broken half the body parts and everything. Kinda annoying.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Your stamina goes down faster because bunny dangos are a huge downgrade from actual hunter food.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Norns posted:

The ”load” times in this are loving magic. No idea how they pulled this off.

It's a bunch of folks used to squeezing every last bit of performance out of the 3DS finally getting hold of decent hardware to work with.

Joking aside, the game is coded brilliantly.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Posting about hunting giant birds before I get birded.

Thumbtacks posted:

I just wish HH had multi button songs again, that felt more satisfying.

Me too, but I'm coming to appreciate the "whatever, just hit the monster in the face a lot" approach of this one on its own merits. Less cerebral and less "musical" than World Horn, but god drat can you bonk some heads with this thing. The Echo Melody recital attack is so drat good.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Shlapintogan posted:

Magnamalo give me your drat plates you son of a bitch :argh:

He’s a good fight but I want to fight some new enemies. That set will have to go crotchless for now :(

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
now that I've hit HR, can someone give me a rec for a good weapon and armor set for Switch Axe? I was eyeing the literal chainsaw switch axe

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Thumbtacks posted:

I just wish HH had multi button songs again, that felt more satisfying.

Exactly not this

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I never played with the GS in 4U or GU. It just clicked in the demo and I poo poo all over mizutsune. This sword is loving sweet.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Shrapnel Ammo is the poo poo.

I don't know if I'm even doing good damage, but aiming in the general direction of an enemy, hitting fire, and watching damage numbers fly accross the screen is great, especially if there's a mine on the monster.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Wildtortilla posted:

I never played with the GS in 4U or GU. It just clicked in the demo and I poo poo all over mizutsune. This sword is loving sweet.

Dude literally same. loving owns so hard

https://twitter.com/ponchis_g/status/1377076609178537986

I took this clip of chopping off the tail of the Barroth, ugh felt so good

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Gunlance: How do you do a slam from jumping off your dog? I did it once by accident but ever since I can only do a little poke.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...

Kilazar posted:

I think these are Echo Bats or something like that? They’re all over the volcano. Not sure exactly what they do, seems like they maybe distract the monster in some way.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
The Buddy Plaza music is some Charlie Brown cartoon poo poo.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The internet has led me to believe that Monster Broth is a material that exists but I've been killing insects on a high rank expedition for like a half hour and haven't seen one, so someone just tell me they're fake so I can move on

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I just unlocked the last sub-camp. I got a little notification on the screen saying I got some reward, but I don't remember what it was called and I can't find it in any menus. Anybody know what it was?

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Should I be buying these charms? There’s power and armor and they are pricey!

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora

Tender Bender posted:

Gunlance: How do you do a slam from jumping off your dog? I did it once by accident but ever since I can only do a little poke.

You have to fire a shell first with zR+A, then X will do the slam.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Social Animal posted:

Yes, it's a small boost to your attack and defense that only costs a couple of item slots.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Social Animal posted:

Yes, absolutely. You'll need two of each eventually since one of the HR monsters drops a part that'll let you craft them into better versions and those stack with the un-upgraded version.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Caidin posted:

When doing hub quests with the help request on it seems to take like 10 to 15 minutes for anyone to actually show up. Like I've already broken half the body parts and everything. Kinda annoying.

Huh weird. In my experience I usually get a full party within the first few minutes

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Thanks I’ll buy them now. Lots of new stuff to look at now that I’m in hr. Game is so good.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

FBS posted:

I just unlocked the last sub-camp. I got a little notification on the screen saying I got some reward, but I don't remember what it was called and I can't find it in any menus. Anybody know what it was?

It was probably the award for it, if there’s one. You can see them in your guild card.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Lynx Winters posted:

You have to fire a shell first with zR+A, then X will do the slam.

Gotcha, thanks!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

eonwe posted:

now that I've hit HR, can someone give me a rec for a good weapon and armor set for Switch Axe? I was eyeing the literal chainsaw switch axe

Volvidon armor set was made for switch axe, it's real good.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Anyone getting any use out of feral demon mode? It's a fun gimmick but the damage doesn't seem worth the hit to stamina from dodging

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
the only flaw of hunting horn is that they made it so the super pound doesn't send people flying anymore, so now i have no way to deal with uppity longsword users attacking the head.

like, dude, the tail is right there.