Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Gave up on resisting the temptation to play LoR. How many books should I be burning?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Solitair posted:

Gave up on resisting the temptation to play LoR. How many books should I be burning?

All of them except the one you need to progress until you get all the good key pages, unless you want more copies of a combat page (there are some combat pages you are going to want like 50 copies of. Hello, Will of the Prescript/City.)

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Libary of Ruina coming to game pass, super excited for the exposure.

It'll be on xbox though in the stream they got the name wrong apparently lol

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
...there's no way the interface will be remotely comprehensible/usable on a console, will there?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Probably be fine excluding all of the very tiny text. UI redesign looks like it was made with mobile in mind anyway.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
I wonder if the Ordeal Fixers will ever show up in Ruina? The arrival/defeat text of the Dusk implies that they should, though it's a bit late in the game for them to do so unless they're working with the Head or something...

Also brings up questions about how the gently caress they exist as Ordeals if they're an echo of something that L-Corp will face in the future rather than the past or present.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
That's covered on day 47. I'll spoiler the raw script file I have for this below:

<text id="day47_abel_18">The research we conducted, taken from where Carmen had left us, was successful.</text>

<text id="day47_abel_19">We found a method to siphon from the primordial sea which had every possibility of humanity; past, present, and future.</text>

In short, the Bucket can grab things from any point in any timeline.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
Oh right, now I remember.

Speaking of day 47, it's a real shame that you never picked up Burrowing Heaven. At least WhiteNight looks similar enough if you squint for the symbolism to be clear enough.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
We'll get to Burrowing Heaven soon enough, though not in this playthrough.

I need to make a lovely MSPaint cover for Better Call Paul: The Complete Series

"Yowie wowie! I'm on a 4 disk DVD box set!"

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!
Boy oh boy I finally picked up Ruina yesterday and it feels like a lot. Mostly, I just have no goddamned clue what I'm doing half the time and picking key pages and cards largely based on any given fight's weakness targeting, with my one friend in History the Bleed guy. I feel like I'm playing this game wrong but also the sheer amount of stuff I have right now is a little overwhelming even if it's mostly copies of itself.

TeeQueue posted:

I need to make a lovely MSPaint cover for Better Call Paul: The Complete Series

"Yowie wowie! I'm on a 4 disk DVD box set!"

Hmm.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
Yeah I know, but it means we'll miss out on a moment of horrified realization once X sees The Thing. Though admittedly it's not as blindingly obvious what Burrowing Heaven is supposed to be in LobCorp compared to it's Ruina incarnation, which dispenses with subtlety altogether in favor of a glowing neon brick to the face.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Shaezerus posted:

Boy oh boy I finally picked up Ruina yesterday and it feels like a lot. Mostly, I just have no goddamned clue what I'm doing half the time and picking key pages and cards largely based on any given fight's weakness targeting, with my one friend in History the Bleed guy. I feel like I'm playing this game wrong but also the sheer amount of stuff I have right now is a little overwhelming even if it's mostly copies of itself.

Until you get past.... I'd say Molar Office? There's not really a lot to the strategy. What you're doing is pretty much on-point. It's not until draw/light regeneration cards become more common that there's really a lot of deckbuilding strategy to be hand.

Even then, as long as you're keeping to the basics of trying to keep enough light to play your cards, enough draw to keep from running out of them, and as many speed dice as you possibly can you will be just fine until... pretty late into the game, I think. I'd talk more about deckbuilding strategy but honestly I'm at the point of the game where there's a clear tier 0 decktype entirely because of one card so I've just been using that to dunk on everything. Just know that Singleton Is Good And Never Stops Being Good.

GilliamYaeger posted:

Yeah I know, but it means we'll miss out on a moment of horrified realization once X sees The Thing. Though admittedly it's not as blindingly obvious what Burrowing Heaven is supposed to be in LobCorp compared to it's Ruina incarnation, which dispenses with subtlety altogether in favor of a glowing neon brick to the face.

Ah, fair enough. I feel like our X would probably react with some sort of offkey joke instead of horror, though. I love the Ruina redesign though. It's so good. :allears:

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Shaezerus posted:

Hmm.
This guide has been my lifeline. (Watch out for spoilers of who you're going to fight in the table of contents and further down the page). Quick and easy reference to what cards are good and bad and what makes them good or bad, and eventually you'll be able to work out what makes a good card on your own.

Also Yujin's keypage is amazing. It starts good when you get it in the early-mid game and stays good throughout the entire game. The pages to look out for to use with it are Faint Memories when you first get it, then later move on to abusing high-cost pages for the light refund such as Fervid Emotions and eventually Rapid Gashes.

And yes, as soon as you get your hands on Will of the Prescript it's all aboard the Singleton train. Choo choo motherfucker.

TeeQueue posted:

Ah, fair enough. I feel like our X would probably react with some sort of offkey joke instead of horror, though. I love the Ruina redesign though. It's so good. :allears:
Well, the horror would have mainly come from the realization that all the Abnormalities are symbolic and/or metaphors, and now he's going to be stuck thinking about what the various Abnormalities are supposed to mean all day.
X: Wait, it's all symbolism?
A: Always has been.

And I know, right?

GilliamYaeger fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Mar 30, 2021

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

GilliamYaeger posted:

Well, the horror would have mainly come from the realization that all the Abnormalities are symbolic and/or metaphors, and now he's going to be stuck thinking about what the various Abnormalities are supposed to mean all day.
X: Wait, it's all symbolism?
A: Always has been.

: So what did Bald-is-awesome symbolize, then?

: Carmen and I were huge Fast and the Furious fans back in uni.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Singleton has ruled the game for quite a while and it's still the default way to build a deck, but Bi An and Will of the City are good steps towards breaking its deathgrip on deckbuilding.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Theres a ton of good archetypes by the end to the point Singleton isn't strictly the best, though it is quite good.

Charge, smoke, discard, etc. Just too bad theres only like 2 updates left to use them :v:

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
Singleton's real strength is that most of the time, there's just not much of a reason to not make a given archetype deck also Singleton. Prescript and Multislash are just such an incredibly powerful draw engine that for the vast majority of the game after you get Prescript simply including them in a given archetype deck makes it notably stronger with few, if any, downsides, and by the time you have both of them there's typically at least 7 good cards in a given archetype to safely fill out the rest of the deck. After all, you don't really need multiple copies of a given card if you have your entire deck in your hand on most turns. The places where Prescript and Multislash don't make a deck explicitly better are pretty rare - Yujin decks are the biggest exception that comes to mind.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There are definitely some cards around now that are so good you really want to run more than one copy of things, and just running one would make it worse. I do kinda wish that prescript was like, draw 2 or something though.

(Examples being ominous power, rapid gashes, basically every gebura card other than onrush, uncanny strike, leap and the aforementioned will of the city and bi an)

I do think Singleton is strong (particularly since a lot of good non Singleton cards still support it. There's no opportunity cost for only running one emotional turbulence) and its easier to make decks for, but I will argue there are cards good enough that running more than one copy is better than Singleton.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
For those curious, the Planescape character I'd compare Angela to is Vecna. Y'know, the genius almost-human member of a race hated by the general populace (undead/AI) who hordes endless knowledge, who broke out of an unending hell (Ravenloft/Lobotomy Corp) into a major city (Sigil/The City) and used an associated power flux to rewrite the laws of reality (intentionally creating 3E/unintentionally creating Distortions).

The only major difference is that Vecna is super evil, while Angela has done nothing wrong :v:

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
A is Vecna.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

I'm still sad you skipped Snow Queen on this run, it's the most thematic abnormality after Bloodbath.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

You're not wrong.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

I hit a stumbling block on LoR, suffering my first loss to San and Julia of the Zwei Office, so I'm gonna try farming some more cards and getting a better handle on what cards I need.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Some tips if you get stuck:

Mars' page is extremely good, as is Commandeering on whoever doesn't have it. Struggle makes whoever uses it practically invincible in these early fights

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Solitair posted:

I hit a stumbling block on LoR, suffering my first loss to San and Julia of the Zwei Office, so I'm gonna try farming some more cards and getting a better handle on what cards I need.

Early game, paralysis is phenomenal. Two or three copies of En-endure is a must in any early game deck. Set Fire and Taste My Flaming Bat are also pretty great pages. If you've got some Zwei kills under your belt, Retaliate is one of the best early game cards available.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

How many copies of a card should I stock up in general if I want it? Judging by the floor limit, I'm guessing anything over eighteen is overkill?

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

It depends on the card tbh. There are some for which I would want at least 50 copies of on hand and ready to go. There are others which I only want maybe 3 or 6.

It really depends on the card and how important you think it would be to you.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
I just used the cheat mod that multiplies drops by like 1000, because gently caress grinding.

But generally you get enough when you get all the keypages.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

GilliamYaeger posted:

I just used the cheat mod that multiplies drops by like 1000, because gently caress grinding.

But generally you get enough when you get all the keypages.

I ended up using a Cheat Engine table that just disables books being consumed when burned.

I like have options available, I don't like having to grind out a hard fight multiple times to get pages then grind it again for the next fight's book req.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

am... am I the only person who just does things like beat yan five times in a row? :shepface:

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
No, Acerbatus beat Yan like 30 times in a row, just for fun

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You need to find every combination possible!

If you haven't confirmed you can beat Yan with Rats cards, have you really beaten him?!

2/3 turn kills are also fun.

It's not for fun it's for science

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 1, 2021

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

TeeQueue posted:

am... am I the only person who just does things like beat yan five times in a row? :shepface:
Yan has a very soothing voice.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Yan has a very soothing voice.
And a very soothing song

Do not go home until you recite the value of e

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What do people think are the worst combat pages (at the point you get them)?

I think contenders are:

Ghghgh
Night in the Backstreets
Wild Card
Juggling
Bizarre Attack

GilliamYaeger posted:

And a very soothing song

Do not go home until you recite the value of e

I never knew math could be so catchy...

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Apr 1, 2021

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Speared Sweep from the Wedge Office isn't as objectively terrible as some of those, but it does come from burning the very same book that gives Sparking Spear, which has better dice rolls and a page draw attached for the same cost.

Comedy option: Degraded Shockwave.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Any tips for designing a light cost curve in early game?

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Solitair posted:

Any tips for designing a light cost curve in early game?

Early game it's a bit tricky since the first couple of light regen options are totally worthless. The first good one is Wait Up! From Molar Office (or Loosen Up from Stray Dogs if you're feeling spicy, but it's unreliable) and you don't have enough emotion levels to be able to refill by going up in levels.

Because of that you generally don't want too many 2-3 cost cards. Probably 3 at most, then just have 1 cost cards for the rest of your deck. Light Regen is more important on whoever has 2 speed dice than the 1 speed dice people, and you probably only want like 2 copies of Wait/Loosen up because they're realllly not good cards outside of the fact they restore light.

When you hit Urban Plague you can start putting in more 2 cost cards because you finally get a light regen card that is both light gain "On Use" (meaning you don't need to win/one sided with it) and has a roll that might actually be capable of defending yourself in the form of Clean Up.

Urban Nightmare is the point where light generation fully opens up and you have a variety of options with actual strengths and weaknesses.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
To be vaguely contrarian, I was replaying the early game recently and I found myself using surprisingly high curve decks, with 3x E-endure and a 6x 2/3 cost offensive cards (Rampage, I Can Cook Anything, Blade Whirl, Retaliate, etc). Because librarians get a full Light refill every time they go up an emotion level, and early game encounters are ridiculously lethal thanks to the weak/fatal resistances on everyone's key pages, you can ride a high curve long enough to focus fire guests. In a damage race you'll always have the edge because the AI spreads its offensive cards out between your librarians, and you can choose to take big hits with E-Endure (that card really is disgustingly good) while ignoring any mostly defensive combat pages the AI plays. By the time the Light gravy train stops it doesn't matter how bad your curve is because it's now a 1v3 fight.

This strategy does require you to be pretty confident in predicting how the clashes on any given turn will affect emotion meters, though. Still, that's a skill that you are 100% going to need going into the later game.

Reiterpallasch fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Apr 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

In LobCorp, does An Arbiter turn around to attack agents that are hitting her in the back, or will she only use the key or fairy attacks on agents in front of her?