Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
You guys are thinking too hard. It was just a fad hyped by hypemen to hype up their crypto

Props to the artists who made out like bandits, it's a dog eat dog world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
The most amusing revelation now is that they aren't even minting NFTs until they are sold because they were wasting gas on crap nobody wanted. So now you're buying some immutable blockchain crap that's not even on the blockchain. Ten years to find a use case and they finally did it only to immediately ditch the blockchain a month later.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Lmao at seeing it as some sort of an 'art world' thing. The only people buying NFTs are insane reddit memers and actual NFT grifters. The Beeple thing wasn't bought by some seasoned eccentric art collector, it was bought by an NFT startup scammer as a PR stunt.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

Paladinus posted:

Lmao at seeing it as some sort of an 'art world' thing. The only people buying NFTs are insane reddit memers and actual NFT grifters. The Beeple thing wasn't bought by some seasoned eccentric art collector, it was bought by an NFT startup scammer as a PR stunt.

Which created a ton of fomo in the art world and they’re desperately trying to figure out what to do next. Crypto economy and the ‘what is art, even’-economy merging feels like a bit.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Andy Dufresne posted:

The most amusing revelation now is that they aren't even minting NFTs until they are sold because they were wasting gas on crap nobody wanted. So now you're buying some immutable blockchain crap that's not even on the blockchain. Ten years to find a use case and they finally did it only to immediately ditch the blockchain a month later.

I still think calling transaction costs “gas” is dumb. It’s money (resources, butt coins, etc,) I don’t get why calling it something besides a tax makes it seem cool.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

rear end cobra posted:

Before 2016 broke his and everybody else’s brain Beeple was hugely influential both style- and work ethic-wise and he was giving out his scene files for free with no attribution licenses. If you had any questions on how things worked, he’d spend a lot of time personally explaining and encouraging. A good dude from everything I’ve seen.

The guy bought a share in the company that did the NTF for his work months before then sold his art with it to mysterious buyer very publicly talking about the company then made elon staning art, he doesn't seem very on the level.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Well this thread got bad,
When did the thread about bitcoin ever get good? :confuoot: :laugh:

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
lol, hey guys, ask me about my wealthy lifestyle; making a trip to wal-mart tonight to pick up some distilled water and dollar chocolate bars.

bitcoin is an automated, decentralized Ponzi scheme.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
distilled? your decadence is truly sickening

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

nnnotime posted:

When did the thread about bitcoin ever get good? :confuoot: :laugh:

It improved somewhat in the brief interim after the slaying of “demon seraph” (lol) and before the brainworm crew arrived

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

tango alpha delta posted:

lol, hey guys, ask me about my wealthy lifestyle; making a trip to wal-mart tonight to pick up some distilled water and dollar chocolate bars.

bitcoin is an automated, decentralized Ponzi scheme.

tanga alpha delta? More like foxtrot yankee golf mike
:smug:

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

xtal posted:

tanga alpha delta? More like foxtrot yankee golf mike
:smug:

lol, get your own wal-mart great value one dollar chocolate bars, peasant.

butt

coin

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

Stealthgerbil posted:

Despite its original intention, I think the main use of NFTs is to act as a vessel for money laundering. People already launder money with art, now you don't even have to do it in person or exchange anything physical.

The main use of NFTs is to scam money out of dumbass VCs, which is incidentally its original intention.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
drat if people are pissed at someone using btc to pay their heating bills wait until they hear where meat comes from

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

Talking about NFTs the same way you were talking about BTC in 2013 or altcoins in 2017, more egg soon for your epic nocoiner face?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
*yawn*

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
someone give m e some bitcoins

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

baw posted:

someone give m e some bitcoins

I can give you twice the bitcoin you send me. I m Elon musk please I want to help

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

ghosTTy posted:

Talking about NFTs the same way you were talking about BTC in 2013 or altcoins in 2017, more egg soon for your epic nocoiner face?

Do you want to try to explain to us what an NFT actually is and why it's better than just paying artists for art licenses directly?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
ghottsy sell one of your charts as an nft, tell the buyer you will cover the eth gas

ghosTTy posted:

I made someone really sick at the gym when I farted in the stretching corner. Is there something I can add to my diet that will suppress the gas potency? It's kinda embarrassing. I've been eating a lot of beans lately.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Ghostty is like the Kanye West of trolling

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Mentally ill?

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

ghosTTy posted:

Yea of course we are going to be wrong. The concenpt is so stupid that of course NFTs will catch on and become worth tons just to spite us. We are living in bizzaro world right now.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

ymgve posted:

at first I thought IPFS was like freenet or filecoin and no one knew what was hosted anywhere and it was all magically distributed but its actually just servers with obscured URLs

it works exactly the same as BitTorrent with magnet links - the "address" is a hash of the content, and it's cached for others to download when you look at it.

If nobody seeds the file, it's gone.

this includes Nifty Gateway not bothering to seed JPEGs they sold a few weeks ago

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Paladinus posted:

Yeah I mean Art Basel has shown that the tastes of the art world are incredibly suspect and even they're not touching this.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Looks like Paypal announced you can now cashout crpyto.

https://twitter.com/PayPal/status/1376898590119895041

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Harminoff posted:

you can cash out crypto as dollars!

but only the crypto you bought on PayPal with dollars

you can't deposit crypto from outside

(PayPal would LOVE you to, the CEO is a massive hodler, but there's things like "the law" he has to think about)

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
poo poo, I always thought the way for buttcoin to finally collapse permanently is if I come across one somehow.

Heh heh, buttcoin

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

https://www.vice.com/en/article/pkdj79/peoples-expensive-nfts-keep-vanishing-this-is-why

Scams upon scams.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

B-but b-blockchain is immutable!

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Paladinus posted:

B-but b-blockchain is immutable!

blockchain is tremendously more usable if you avoid using the blockchain

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

Harminoff posted:

https://twitter.com/PayPal/status/1376898590119895041

Thats poggers

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

rear end cobra posted:

Which created a ton of fomo in the art world and they’re desperately trying to figure out what to do next. Crypto economy and the ‘what is art, even’-economy merging feels like a bit.

if you can look at cryptokitties and feel FOMO, are you even an artist?

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

ghosTTy posted:

Possibly but the thing about NTF is they cross the line into such absurdity that I would give up riches to not have to associate with them. Like if you offered me orphan blood harvesting as a way to get rich with solid evidence that it would work, still not going to do it. Also NTF aren't a new thing, they are just a alt-coin poo poo wrapper.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

claw games are a ponzi scheme

i took this photo myself lol

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Buy Bitcoin at the atm is a good arcade game, got to hit the buy button at the right time as the price wildly jerks around.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

We've said it before, but these BTC machines are going to lose people so much money.
"Hey I lost that seed phrase thing, how do I reset my password?"

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

ghosTTy posted:

We still talk about BTC and altcoins in the exact same way, to this day, for the same reasons

Their fundamentals haven't changed, why should we

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

claw machines are all rigged and have set payout rates now. the future fuckin sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

salt shakeup posted:

Thats poggers

It's not really much of anything to be honest. Still can't withdraw Crypto from paypal, just convert to usd.