Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Snyder's The Three Jokers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

The Snyder Cut at least shows he does have some strengths, namely big operatic epics of straightforward good and evil. Keep him far away from any normal people with normal people cares that need to speak normal people lines of dialogue. Even Batman and Superman are too grounded for him, it's gotta be 100% swords and sorcery or bust.

Of course now he'll probably do Zack Snyder's Astro City or something

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Ah, back to the discourse that Snyder is a hack and just accidentally does some good stuff. Continue being like some of the worst of Twitter BSS. Bravo.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's ridiculous to pretend making some jokes about not liking Zack Snyder's movies is somehow toxic.

At least with Snyder discourse leaving the tedious meta-Snyder discourse will go with it.

Arist fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Mar 31, 2021

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Oh I'm not joking in the least. :buddy:

Besides, how weird would it be if people who didn't enjoy Man of Steel, or whatever, watched ZS's Justice League and then was like "Oh wow, I all of a sudden think that MoS, a completely different movie, is now suddenly good!"

Speaking of which, I find it super funny that during the scene where Clark picks the black suit for no evident reason, we hear previous audio from his dead dads inspiring him to become Superman again, except that Jonathan never actually said anything particularly inspirational to Clark while he was alive...so for this film they had to, like, loving make up new dialogue for him that we never heard before, just so that he doesn't sound like the miserable downer that he actually was which would kinda defeat the purpose of the scene. :xd:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

X-O posted:

Yes, that's it, get all the Snyder talk out of your systems now. It's almost April and that means a Snyder free thread for everyone to enjoy.

BrianWilly posted:

Besides, how weird would it be if people who didn't enjoy Man of Steel, or whatever, watched ZS's Justice League and then was like "Oh wow, I all of a sudden think that MoS, a completely different movie, is now suddenly good!"
Post ZSJL, MoS attains a renewed appreciation as the film with the least slow motion

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Vintersorg posted:

Ah, back to the discourse that Snyder is a hack and just accidentally does some good stuff. Continue being like some of the worst of Twitter BSS. Bravo.

No one is obligated to like the same films you do. Also, lol at the silliness of thinking that the worst of a site that platforms white supremacists, terfs and lunatics is people who don't like Zack Snyder films.

Personally, I look forward to his Arthur film. But looking at the list above I don't think he's made a truly great film. There are great sequences, some which I think are the best and most spectacular the genre has to offer, but even his best films are mixed bags.

I wouldn't mind seeing him do a bible epic though, like Samson or something. I think that would be cool.

Karloff fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Mar 31, 2021

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Zack Snyder's bad but his fans are 100 times worse and the fact that they pretended the toxic section of the fanbase didn't exist right up until the exact second Snyder himself distanced himself from them is a searing indictment of their priorities. It was more important to them to get the Snyder cut out and defend his vision and scream at anyone implying that Snyder fans can be toxic than it was to tell people who were spearheading the hashtag to stop being horrible racists/misogynists.

For all the talk about creator freedom and how Marvel movies are just rice cracker military propaganda, a massive number of people latched onto DC and specifically Snyder's vision for DC because they viewed it as a "non-woke" alternative to Disney's output and this has shaped the entire Snyder cut discourse from day one.

The fact that Snyder fans continue to act like they're persecuted minorities on these very forums is beyond shameful.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Mar 31, 2021

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Everytime Arist posts about snyderchat I imagine them wailing away at their keyboard looking just like their avatar.

Dude's consistently bad about snyderfilms.

BrianWilly posted:

I mean, I've definitely reassessed my relationship with and biases about those films after ZSJL.

I still think Pa is a mess of contradictions, and definitely still think the post-zod smooch is much, but I have an overall more positive view of it.

quote:

Speaking of which, I find it super funny that during the scene where Clark picks the black suit for no evident reason, we hear previous audio from his dead dads inspiring him to become Superman again, except that Jonathan never actually said anything particularly inspirational to Clark while he was alive...
It's a total comics callback conceit, but you might as well question why there's a hall of suits at all. With Pa's VO stuff, I take it as finally completing the arc of their very complicated and not always satisfying relationship. We got the confusing Hero Cake stuff, the ethical trepidation about what the cost of helping someone could be, pushed to the fore while Clark was figuring himself out. His rebirth puts him on a new journey, and the result is he's not focused on the negatives that Jon left him with, those wary shadows of doubt and fear. He's instead remembering the offhand positives now. I think that's a lovely touch, right up there with telling MaRtha that he was brought back for a reason and he needs to help.

Lurdiak posted:

a massive number of people latched onto DC and specifically Snyder's vision for DC because they viewed it as a "non-woke" alternative to Disney's output and this has shaped the entire Snyder cut discourse from day one.
I agree that a lot of that was shaped by Snyder's weird crossfit enthusiasm (this Batman says gently caress, this Superman watches Jimmy Olsen get his brains splattooed).

But I don't see how anyone walks away from his Justice League cut with the idea that it's aligned with anything non-woke. It's very heartfelt and personal and hopeful.

You might also consider that starting out with "Yo Zak Snyder SUUUUUUCKS" kind of answers your complaint about why the people that enjoyed his work may be difficult to speak with.
I kind of feel that, given everything that went down on the Whedon set and his butchering of the PoC cast parts, that complaining about the fans is a lower priority. I dunno, the situation is too convoluted for anyone to come away from it happy.

Fwiw, the Snyderdome's been pretty positive as of late :3:

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Mar 31, 2021

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I didn't mean for it to go this far. The main thought I had behind Snyder getting into the MCU is it would prevent him from doing more DC films (even if that was in the cards) and would be a ice roadblock to toss in front of the Snyderverse idiots.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Rhyno posted:

it would prevent him from doing more DC films (even if that was in the cards) and would be a ice roadblock to toss in front of the Snyderverse idiots.
I think it's this weird hostility that draws the ire and hot takes, tbh.

Like my initial response was "Oh no, the guy who collaborated with Ray to flesh out Cyborg and his story, get him away from DC Films pronto!"

Like at some point it just becomes about the online weirdos than the actual creator.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

FilthyImp posted:

I agree that a lot of that was shaped by Snyder's weird crossfit enthusiasm (this Batman says gently caress, this Superman watches Jimmy Olsen get his brains splattooed).

But I don't see how anyone walks away from his Justice League cut with the idea that it's aligned with anything non-woke. It's very heartfelt and personal and hopeful.

You might also consider that starting out with "Yo Zak Snyder SUUUUUUCKS" kind of answers your complaint about why the people that enjoyed his work may be difficult to speak with.
I kind of feel that, given everything that went down on the Whedon set and his butchering of the PoC cast parts, that complaining about the fans is a lower priority. I dunno, the situation is too convoluted for anyone to come away from it happy.

Fwiw, the Snyderdome's been pretty positive as of late :3:

I'm not trying to imply there's some inherent reactionary quality to Zack Snyder's DC movies that attracted those types, just that they were there and non-negligible in the Snyder cut push. And I'm definitely not making excuses for Joss Whedon's behavior, but I think it's a little churlish to try to pretend the Snyder Cut push has anything more than an incidental relation to that. People didn't start the #ReleaseTheSnyderCut hashtag because they psychically sensed that Joss Whedon had demeaned and abused the cast when they saw the theatrical cut.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

^^^ The initial push was about suits taking art from an artist and passing it on to a terrible director just for a number crunching idea of maximum profit since he happened to be in charge of the initial zenith of the Maevel movement and they thought it had anything to do with him. Every Fandom or movement has toxic sections; people hyperfocus on those to try to deflect form the actual argument (ie. Bernie Bros).

Rhyno posted:

I didn't mean for it to go this far. The main thought I had behind Snyder getting into the MCU is it would prevent him from doing more DC films (even if that was in the cards) and would be a ice roadblock to toss in front of the Snyderverse idiots.

I mean people would like to see his vision continue in DC, but thats not the end all be all either. Theoretically, there are a lot of Marvel comics that would be beautiful in his hands and a lot of people that liked his DC output would like to see his Mole Man movie or whatever.

I just personally find it weird that comic fans who apparently cared about the art in the comics stop caring when it comes to how movies look. But then I realized over the years that a lot dont really care about how they're drawn either over the years and just want to see certain characters do certain things.

*note I don't like half of Snyders movies but can't deny his directorial eye

Darko fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Mar 31, 2021

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

It's a total comics callback conceit, but you might as well question why there's a hall of suits at all. With Pa's VO stuff, I take it as finally completing the arc of their very complicated and not always satisfying relationship. We got the confusing Hero Cake stuff, the ethical trepidation about what the cost of helping someone could be, pushed to the fore while Clark was figuring himself out. His rebirth puts him on a new journey, and the result is he's not focused on the negatives that Jon left him with, those wary shadows of doubt and fear. He's instead remembering the offhand positives now. I think that's a lovely touch, right up there with telling MaRtha that he was brought back for a reason and he needs to help.
In my most generous reading of the scene, Clark has come to terms with his father's sacrifice after having gone through the same sacrifice himself, having truly put himself in his father's shoes. This gives him some measure of closure about a traumatic moment that he'd never truly moved past until now.

By any interpretation however, it's still Clark completely sugarcoating his father's mentality through the most rose-tinted lenses ever. Jonathan would be caught dead (:v:) before uttering acclamations like "Fly, son, fly!" (not least of which is because he didn't even know his son could fly) This rallying moment of rebirth is honestly just...Clark choosing to live in denial, literally gaslighting himself, outright inventing a fake father that he never actually had to cheer him upwards.

Or the resurrection scrambled Clark's brain and imprinted new memories in there, whichever.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I just can't come over the schoolgirl who has been through a very traumatic situation (including watching a guy literally explode in front of her) and yet all she can think of is to set up an inspirational quote from Wonder Woman. This is a movie that's very casual about violence (Steppenwolf is maimed, sish kebabed and decapitated and the ones who does it shown afterwards).

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I honestly think Wonder Woman atomizing Roose Bolton was incredibly offputting and will probably end up being my least favorite element of the film in the long run. The other doomsday guys...ookay, it was a desperate situation, she had to act quickly and decisively, whatever, they didn't need all that blood in their bodies anyway. But the leader? He was not a threat anymore, the situation was under control, there was no need to kill him other than petty brutality.

It's like if Diana really did crush Dr. Poison under that tank at the end of her film. It's the sort of thing that people would endlessly heckle an MCU film for depicting, and they'd be right.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'd applaud the MCU for killing reactionaries actually

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

BrianWilly posted:

In my most generous reading of the scene, Clark has come to terms with his father's sacrifice after having gone through the same sacrifice himself, having truly put himself in his father's shoes. This gives him some measure of closure about a traumatic moment that he'd never truly moved past until now.

By any interpretation however, it's still Clark completely sugarcoating his father's mentality through the most rose-tinted lenses ever. Jonathan would be caught dead (:v:) before uttering acclamations like "Fly, son, fly!" (not least of which is because he didn't even know his son could fly) This rallying moment of rebirth is honestly just...Clark choosing to live in denial, literally gaslighting himself, outright inventing a fake father that he never actually had to cheer him upwards.

Or the resurrection scrambled Clark's brain and imprinted new memories in there, whichever.

Errr...Jonathan wanted Clark to be a hero/great/whatever and knew he would be, he just didn't want him contained and dissected by the government when young and wanted him to wait until the time was right.

Martha told Clark this, so what he was thinking there was just how he filtered what she told him that Jonathan thought about him.

This is in the last sequence of MoS. It's what contextualizes every scene with Jonathan before.

edit: remember Jon looking at young Clark in a cape when "what will you do if not saving the world" was playing on a piano in the score at the end?

Darko fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Mar 31, 2021

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Roth posted:

I'd applaud the MCU for killing reactionaries actually
I have good new for you in regards to the very first MCU film!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

BrianWilly posted:

I have good new for you in regards to the very first MCU film!

Iron Man does not kill himself, unfortunately.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

On the other hand, I suppose it does square with Diana proclaiming "I believe in love!" while blasting a hole through Ares, who once saved the world from Darkseid.

Darko posted:

Errr...Jonathan wanted Clark to be a hero/great/whatever and knew he would be, he just didn't want him contained and dissected by the government when young and wanted him to wait until the time was right.

Martha told Clark this, so what he was thinking there was just how he filtered what she told him that Jonathan thought about him.

This is in the last sequence of MoS. It's what contextualizes every scene with Jonathan before.

edit: remember Jon looking at young Clark in a cape when "what will you do if not saving the world" was playing on a piano in the score at the end?
The most incoherent aspect of Man of Steel is that it expects us to imagine that the Jonathan Kent it showed us, who spent nearly every moment onscreen down his dying breath trying to prevent his son from becoming a superhero, actually did want his son to become a superhero. Secretly. Deep down. In his heart.

Yeah, I remember that scene.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Mar 31, 2021

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Roth posted:

Iron Man does not kill himself, unfortunately.

I mean, he does, since he doesn't bother to use any of the singular gems to do anything and instead decides to off himself with a snap so he goes out like a hero or whatever.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I like one Snyder film and that was his zombie film - mostly for the intro to be honest. I thought Watchmen was... ok, but flawed. I thought man of steel was okayish. The rest have been pretty trash

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Darko posted:

I mean, he does, since he doesn't bother to use any of the singular gems to do anything and instead decides to off himself with a snap so he goes out like a hero or whatever.

Yeah but that took 22 Iron Man movies to get to.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

BrianWilly posted:

I honestly think Wonder Woman atomizing Roose Bolton was incredibly offputting and will probably end up being my least favorite element of the film in the long run. The other doomsday guys...ookay, it was a desperate situation, she had to act quickly and decisively, whatever, they didn't need all that blood in their bodies anyway. But the leader? He was not a threat anymore, the situation was under control, there was no need to kill him other than petty brutality.

It's like if Diana really did crush Dr. Poison under that tank at the end of her film. It's the sort of thing that people would endlessly heckle an MCU film for depicting, and they'd be right.

Look, it ain’t the DC Murderverse for nothing. This is the same movie where Superman rips Steppenwolf’s horn off and then he, Aquaman and WW brutally alley-oop his body and newly-liberated head back to Apokolips.

I mean Aquaman literally impales him and sets it up for Superman as if they were trying to make a field goal.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Isn't this the comic forum? People are complaining about Diana killing people?

Roth posted:

Yeah but that took 22 Iron Man movies to get to.

He was waiting for maximum dramatic impact, okay.

I do love the theory that Dr. Strange was just looking for the one future where Iron Man was dead, instead of the myriad of ways Thanos could have been stopped otherwise.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

I think it's good to like things and talk about liking them. I think it's okay to dislike things but maybe not so good to always talk about disliking them

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

There are many timelimes where Thanos is defeated but Iron Man just makes things worse anyway

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Look, it ain’t the DC Murderverse for nothing. This is the same movie where Superman rips Steppenwolf’s horn off and then he, Aquaman and WW brutally alley-oop his body and newly-liberated head back to Apokolips.

I mean Aquaman literally impales him and sets it up for Superman as if they were trying to make a field goal.
I liked this part though. It felt like a proportionate, earned response.

Wonder Woman having to activate her Ultimate against one guy with a gun is...not as proportionate.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
The MCU movies started with killing terrorists without compunction or remorse and has never stopped

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hroYWMHOnNU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

BrianWilly posted:

On the other hand, I suppose it does square with Diana proclaiming "I believe in love!" while blasting a hole through Ares, who once saved the world from Darkseid.
The most incoherent aspect of Man of Steel is that it expects us to imagine that the Jonathan Kent it showed us, who spent nearly every moment onscreen down his dying breath trying to prevent his son from becoming a superhero, actually did want his son to become a superhero. Secretly. Deep down. In his heart.

Yeah, I remember that scene.

His speech to Clark is "I dont know what you should have done really; the world is not ready for you yet, I'm just worried about you." When he dies, it's to prevent his son from showing his powers in a public setting linked to his family so everyone knows exactly what happened and it goes straight back to his teenaged son and causes what he feared. At the end, his mom says that he knew he'd be a hero at the right time down the line. What is your issue here, I'm legitimately confused.

Darko fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Mar 31, 2021

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I love that Wonderwoman isn't like Superman and Batman (and so many other heroes) where she'll go "I refuse to kill bad guys!". I love that she'll stomp people into the ground or cut monsters heads off for good measure.

The problem with the Roose Bolton scene isn't that she brutally kills him, it's that she destroys an entire building in the process. It's so dumb. Just wring his neck Diana, don't blow everything up when you have kids next to you

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Zzulu posted:

I love that Wonderwoman isn't like Superman and Batman (and so many other heroes) where she'll go "I refuse to kill bad guys!". I love that she'll stomp people into the ground or cut monsters heads off for good measure.

The problem with the Roose Bolton scene isn't that she brutally kills him, it's that she destroys an entire building in the process. It's so dumb. Just wring his neck Diana, don't blow everything up when you have kids next to you

She doesn't like cops, either, is how I see that scene.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Darko posted:

His speech to Clark is "I dont know what you should have done really; the world is not ready for you yet, I'm just worried about you." When he dies, it's to prevent his son from showing his powers in a public setting linked to his family so everyone knows exactly what happened and it goes straight back to his teenaged son and causes what he feared. At the end, his mom says that he knew he'd be a hero at the right time down the line. What is your issue here, I'm legitimately confused.
Do you really want to know? I have a whole forty-five minute video especially made about this exact specific topic if you really want to know.

tl;dw My issue is that the film can't have it both ways. It can't have Kent hold Clark back from being Superman at every single turn, to the point that Clark outright tells Lois he won't be Superman because his father told him not to be, and then have our hearts warm at some last-minute revelation that Clark getting outed by alien invaders, spied on by the US government, snapping supervillain necks putting on a costume to fly around the world saving lives is actually his father's fondest dream and not his worst nightmare.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Zzulu posted:

It's worth noting that the building is the London Central Criminal Court (aka the Old Bailey). Dispatching the bad guys and blowing up part of the building quite neatly shows that she isn't bound by man's laws.

I also got a kick out of the scene because I often work in that building and know the exact room the scene takes place in.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Wonder woman ain't give a poo poo about property damage and nor should she.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

BrianWilly posted:

It can't have Kent hold Clark back from being Superman at every single turn, to the point that Clark outright tells Lois he won't be Superman because his father told him not to be,

These are both incredibly, and so I must assume out of personal charity to you, deliberately bad faith readings of the text that I don't think you'll find any honest response to them, but I think that's just your jam, so batter on.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Mar 31, 2021

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

BrianWilly posted:

Do you really want to know? I have a whole forty-five minute video especially made about this exact specific topic if you really want to know.

tl;dw My issue is that the film can't have it both ways. It can't have Kent hold Clark back from being Superman at every single turn, to the point that Clark outright tells Lois he won't be Superman because his father told him not to be, and then have our hearts warm at some last-minute revelation that Clark getting outed by alien invaders, spied on by the US government, snapping supervillain necks putting on a costume to fly around the world saving lives is actually his father's fondest dream and not his worst nightmare.

He holds him back as a kid when his powers are just being really strong and kind of invulnerable (but with no limit testing) with hearing and vision that was dehibilitating at one point. There is literally no reason, as a parent, you don't think your kid would be ruined if he showcased his powers. Once he's 30 or whatever, that's entirely different, since he's a full adult and can make a measured decision.

If you as a parent had that kid and told him "go save everyone," you are an incredibly not caring about your kid and his future.

The movie sticks Clark in our world with a Boomer parent without knowing the extent of his powers as a kid. He was not visited by the Legion of Superheroes or whatever and flying around as a kid like in pre Birthright comics.

Darko fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Mar 31, 2021

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Darko posted:

Isn't this the comic forum? People are complaining about Diana killing people?

I'm complaining about brutally executing people being portrayed as heroic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Alhazred posted:

I'm complaining about brutally executing people being portrayed as heroic.

It's also a super weird take since Patty Jenkins' Wonder Woman is literally the exact opposite of that character (arguably to WW84's detriment, but whatevs). That's a problem with the DCU in general having zero top down oversight, though.