Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

What defensive options should I be focusing on with Charge Blade? It's fun, but I find myself eating a lot of hits as opposed to the DB where I'm basically Bayonetta dodging through everything. Should I be blocking more than dodging/wire jumping? Other way around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Made a long sword to try it out and, if I am getting this right from the first switch skills, either I could go for a move that allows me to spend Spirit Blade charges, or have a move that would easily allow me to build up spirit but not have that spender. Is that the right of it?

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Inzombiac posted:

What dictates the rate buddy missions and dojo session advance? I assume it's one tick per mission completed.

That's right

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

https://twitter.com/alnuggets/status/1377131810459557889?s=19

Sling shotting my entire body into a monster is incredibly fun

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
just got the final gunlance switch skill and it is, indeed, the loving guard point reload from valor gunlance aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :dogcited:

I realize the hunting horn got the most obvious makeover but right now I'm kinda feeling like GL got the biggest changes because it is good now for the first time in series history.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Crowetron posted:

What defensive options should I be focusing on with Charge Blade? It's fun, but I find myself eating a lot of hits as opposed to the DB where I'm basically Bayonetta dodging through everything. Should I be blocking more than dodging/wire jumping? Other way around?

It depends on the fight and style, which is kinda the beauty and the curse of the cb.

Big slow chunky single hitters with small up time want a guard point. (Moments in your move set where your shield is held in front of you to block) The easiest of these to pull off is zr+x , which happens almost immediately after you press button. From a guard point you launch into a counter - x for quick openings, x+a for Big ones when you have Phials. If you're low the silkbind zl+a refills and chumps even the biggest attacks.
To practice these I rec Diablos. All of their attacks can be blocked by these. You can completely dominate a diablos with good play.

Some monsters will foil this by attacking too rapidly or too often, or for some reason demand you be in axe mode all the time. For them you want to be dodging and traveling without sheathing. Mizu is a great fight to learn traveling and staying in chainsaw mode bc of how often she moves and how useless a single block is against most of her attacks. Plus staying in chainsaw shreds her and trivialize her bubbles.

You can use the shield to regular block, but this is a last resort. It can't block as much as a guard point, gives no counter attack, and loses you sharpness real fast. As a bonus, guard points do ko damage when you block attacks while charged. As long as you're guard pointing or dodging you can keep pressing the attack as much or more than those long sword and Lance nerds.

Also-also your fast charge combo of hold a a+× etc had a great travel skill in a circular movement slash. Using this to reposition while a monster is attacking is extremely useful. Plus, you have the lances' hops in the midst of your sword combos, for dodging beam attacks and similar. This is most useful against monsters that rarely ever stop attacking like magnamalo, and to get away from the long sword player that is magnetized to you for some reason.

Almost never wirebug away from things. Use them to get closer, block, and recover. I can think of nothing you can't reposition away from smoothly without them.

Tl;dr: counter big attacks. Flow around small ones. Frequency of either depends on the monster.
20 tons of horns and bad attitude charging at you is no reason to stop attacking.

Impermanent fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Mar 31, 2021

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Just finished off Rathian and Barioth as the last new monsters in Village before Magnamalo. Haven't touched Hub stuff at all. Having an insane amount of fun but the single player content is waaaaay easier than World. And I'm absolutely in love with the Hammer.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Good to know Zinogre still absolutely kicks my rear end. I should probably figure out something else for hunting it because I apparently have 0 idea how to play CB against the guy despite bringing it comfortably into any other monster. Something about the flow of the fight makes it hard for me to knock him out of the charged state and I don't get it. Took half an hour to beat him in high rank.

Maybe I just need to bring a gunlance to the fight.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Tyty posted:

Good to know Zinogre still absolutely kicks my rear end. I should probably figure out something else for hunting it because I apparently have 0 idea how to play CB against the guy despite bringing it comfortably into any other monster. Something about the flow of the fight makes it hard for me to knock him out of the charged state and I don't get it. Took half an hour to beat him in high rank.

Maybe I just need to bring a gunlance to the fight.

Haha, grabbing my gunlance is my charge blade zinogre solution too. He really messes up that weapon for some reason.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Impermanent posted:

A lot of really helpful stuff

Thank you, especially for calling out specific mons to practice on. Sounds like I need to really work on timing out guard points. As good a time as any to face down my old nemesis, Diablos.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Thumbtacks posted:

For the life of me I don't understand how HBG does damage. I'm assuming it's basically just "shoot them in the bad spots" and use the correct bullet but i just feel so...ineffective. like with gunlance i can just shell and they take damage basically everywhere which is awesome

hbg just feels kinda bad, maybe it's better once you have the right gear setup for it or something

The secret is that Cluster Bombs and Sticky Ammo don't have bad spots.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Am I reading this correctly? The Jyuratodus gauntlets require a wyvern gem to craft and don’t have any skills on them?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Thumbtacks posted:

Am I reading this correctly? The Jyuratodus gauntlets require a wyvern gem to craft and don’t have any skills on them?
It also has 3 gem slots, one of which is size 3 which is really rare in this game so far.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
It's been said before, but the HP values in this game are batshit insane, especially in multiplayer.

Just did a 4 person random pub diablos HR where I estimate I put in 20k+ damage myself, and it died after about 8 minutes. Here is the damage run down:

Slicing Shots x 30 + (~20% spare shot) @120 avg damage each = 4320
Crafted Slicing Shots x 30 (~20% spare shot) @120 avg damage each = 4320

I didn't miss a single of these shots, and in reality, few were doing less than 120 but some more than 200, and the spare shot rate of 6 extra shots per 30 is based off math that doesn't take into account the spare shots themselves. The skill also seems to proc WAY more than 20%. I probably got 45 shots off of each set of 30, but we will assume the lowball figure of 36 to get a total of 8,640 damage from slicing ammo.

Next, 99 x Normal 3 at an avg of 70 damage each = 6930

I hit most of these shots, and a good 90% of them were criticals, Diablos is pretty easy to nail with normal shots. For the sake of missing a few shots or not hitting criticals, i'll completely ignore the spare shot bonus which added dozens of extra shots.

Normal 2 x 40 or so at an avg of 50 damage = 2000

This is harder to calculate, these are rapid fire shots, and much harder to hit. A weak shot could do as little as 30 or 40 damage, but a strong one that hits all crits could do as much as 100.

Special shots x 5 at 200 each = 1000

Low balling once again

Not taken into account: misc, 9 x sticky at ?? for a stun

Total lowball damage figure = 18570

Of course, there are prob already sites that have exact HP values, but this should give a good rough estimate at how much health monsters have. I'm sure I did the most damage among all 4 players in this fight, but the others were pretty active, and there were many knockdowns, stuns, and paralyzes.

Hellioning posted:

The secret is that Cluster Bombs and Sticky Ammo don't have bad spots.

Sticky Ammo is basically a dud if you don't land it on the head of a monster; you want to stun with it, not deal damage. Maybe further down the line there will be some sort of build with artillery and other skills that can actually put out decent damage, but I haven't been able to work out a build as of yet where they do good damage.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

HR Kulu armor is a phenomenal Horn set good lord

Level 3 slugger, level 3 stamina thief, and horn maestro all in one. Only 3 levels of crit eye, but that skill is so ubiquitous in this game that i don't mind so much.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

homeless snail posted:

It also has 3 gem slots, one of which is size 3 which is really rare in this game so far.

Oh, thanks for pointing this out. I made almost the full set and I was staring at them for forever wondering why I'd even bother making them.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Crowetron posted:

Thank you, especially for calling out specific mons to practice on. Sounds like I need to really work on timing out guard points. As good a time as any to face down my old nemesis, Diablos.

Worth noting that red shield is equivalent to having one level of the Guard skill when blocking. Guard pointing is also equivalent to a level of Guard. So running Guard 3 and doing a guard point block with red shield is equivalent to Guard 5, the strongest block in the game with lowest chip damage and stamina consumption.

This helps with offense since Guard level also determines if you get knocked back by an attack, not just chip and stamina damage. Being able to stay in place after a strong attack may let you pull off that counter SAED.

Running even Guard 1 is useful to get you up to the equivalent of Guard 3.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Man I thought I was going to go Wide for charge shenanigans but I just have so much fun with full burst loops and rocket blasting around the arena that I don't even know what gunlance to prioritize. At least I know I have a lot of farming options....

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

YoshiOfYellow posted:

The purple circular meter right by your sharpness bar is the Infernal Melody meter.

Sorry, I meant besides that meter, like how the gunlance is red and overheated when wyvern fire is on cool down. The only way to get the song list off screen means you also turn off the Infernal Melody meter, which I'd like to do

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I finished up HR7 tonight, and ended up using wirebug recovery a lot more than I had been previously. I thought Generations was monhan koryu edition, but the more I gently caress around with wirebugs and silkbinds, and now having seen the final boss, I have a new appreciation for how broken (in a good way) this game actually is and for how the Ichinose games have begun to distinguish themselves from being just "the B team games" to being weirdass Monster Hunter romhacks that come out every other game now.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Magna Kaser posted:

Same but rampage is boring IMO so I was p happy about it.

Does anyone else think its way too loving busy with 4 hunters and 4 buddies? Palamutes especially are just so visually all over the place it's v. distracting and I really hate it?? I kinda wish once you were over 2 hunters you could ride your palamute and then it hosed off cuz it's actually turning me off multiplayer.

Yeah this is my feeling as well. Like I get why they let you include a buddy, so that you could ride your dog around in multiplayer. But it wouldn't have been hard to only have them available when you call them for riding, like in world. Four glowing dogs flipping around four hunters is a bit much. Also some rear end in a top hat kept flinching me with spread or shrapnel shot or something :argh:

That said, game still doesn't miss a beat even with all the insanity happening on screen. And its crazy how fast you connect to another players hub.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
I changed my Palamute AI to stay close to me and gave it a big shuriken so hopefully that cuts down a little bit on the visual overload in my groups.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

MMF Freeway posted:

Tip for CB: capacity boost is now "load shells" and it works differently than in World and the description is terrible. Two ranks now, the first does nothing for you but the second rank instead of giving you an extra phial it now makes it so that you load all five phials with only yellow gauge. Pretty worth it I think and seems strictly better than focus which I wouldn't use on CB anymore.

Thanks for pointing this out.

Load Shells seems weird as skills go: https://mhrise.kiranico.com/data/skills/Nzj9N

quote:

Description
Improves reloading, and increases the gunlance's shell capacity and charge blade's phial capacity.

Lv 1
Increases ammo and coating reloading speed.

Lv 2
Gunlance loading capacity +1
Increases charge blade phials

Does the level 1 skill speed up Bow and Bowgun reload, but level 2 helps CB and Gunlance? That's just weird to see a single skill be for different weapon classes depending on level used

I'm assuming that's bowgun ammo in level 1, since Gunlance reload can't really be sped up, can it? There are different reloads but the speed for each is fixed.

Seems a mixed bag for CB. Nice to skip focus, but focus exists if you wanted it alongside the extra phial. Tones down SAED damage, but also takes away 30 seconds of red shield time per load which is not great.

Hang on, does level 1 give faster phial loading while level 2 gives an extra phial? That'd be cool if so.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’m having fun with rampage as a charm fuel farm. I can get about 1.5 full melds out of it and now that I know some of the optimal defense positions we can usually knock one out in 15-18 minutes. My charm order queue is almost full meaning I can now gently caress off and do like 10 hunts without having to worry about fueling the charm machine.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

v1ld posted:

Thanks for pointing this out.

Load Shells seems weird as skills go: https://mhrise.kiranico.com/data/skills/Nzj9N

Does the level 1 skill speed up Bow and Bowgun reload, but level 2 helps CB and Gunlance? That's just weird to see a single skill be for different weapon classes depending on level used

I'm assuming that's bowgun ammo in level 1, since Gunlance reload can't really be sped up, can it? There are different reloads but the speed for each is fixed.

Seems a mixed bag for CB. Nice to skip focus, but focus exists if you wanted it alongside the extra phial. Tones down SAED damage, but also takes away 30 seconds of red shield time per load which is not great.

Hang on, does level 1 give faster phial loading while level 2 gives an extra phial? That'd be cool if so.

Sorry, neither rank gives the extra phial. 5 phials is the max in Rise atm

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I feel like I now probably use more wyvernstakes per fight than I did in all of World combined. Especially with bugsharpen into fast wyvern.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Crowetron posted:

This is a serious reply, I promise. Get yourself a CB with negative affinity and ramp it up with Brutal Strike. You're not technically changing your gameplay, but I feel like I stagger mons WAY more often now, giving myself a lot more breathing room. This assumes you're playing CB the correct way, with Savage Axe, or whatever they're calling it in rise.

The Goss Harag CB is bonkers with Brutal Strike.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
CB defensive silkbind

I just broke into HR 5 missions on village, and I'm finding attacks are now smashing through the silkbind guard. And I'm not talking multi attacks. But attacks I feel I were being blocked just fine in pre hr 5. Does guard affect the silkbind guard skill? If so that could be what it is, cause I am not wearing my 2 guard pieces anymore.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Kilazar posted:

CB defensive silkbind

I just broke into HR 5 missions on village, and I'm finding attacks are now smashing through the silkbind guard. And I'm not talking multi attacks. But attacks I feel I were being blocked just fine in pre hr 5. Does guard affect the silkbind guard skill? If so that could be what it is, cause I am not wearing my 2 guard pieces anymore.

The third Special License hunt is giving me a hard time specifically because CPP isn't taking hits (and roars) that i know it should.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

For more utility skill CB recommendations, I love using Evade Extender. level 3 roll with the axe out covers almost as much ground as the ZL+X silkbind dash, it's really fun!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Once I've unlocked a hub tier via a licence quest, there's no reason to go back and clear the previous tiers is there? No special drops or rewards?

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
This feels like the type of game that I am going to be bad at for two weeks until I build muscle memory for the controls. I keep stopping in combat to drink antidotes because I keep mashing Y instead of X and A to attack.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

The third Special License hunt is giving me a hard time specifically because CPP isn't taking hits (and roars) that i know it should.

Ok so it's not just me!

I've kinda built my playstyle with the savage axe around being able to quick switch to bzzzzzt mode off of silkbind counters. And now I"m constantly getting smashed into the ground on attacks I know I have guarded before!

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

stev posted:

Once I've unlocked a hub tier via a licence quest, there's no reason to go back and clear the previous tiers is there? No special drops or rewards?

Worth doing any monsters you haven't faced yet to unlock gear associated with them.

In GU gear was unlocked by getting specific parts - the parts marked Key here https://mhgu.kiranico.com/armor/5ad8d - but the MH Rise list doesn't show any Keys yet. So it's not clear how and when gear unlocks, but it's still tied to monsters killed in some fashion.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

v1ld posted:

Worth doing any monsters you haven't faced yet to unlock gear associated with them.

In GU gear was unlocked by getting specific parts - the parts marked Key here https://mhgu.kiranico.com/armor/5ad8d - but the MH Rise list doesn't show any Keys yet. So it's not clear how and when gear unlocks, but it's still tied to monsters killed in some fashion.

Yeah gear seems to unlock upon getting stuff that lets you build it and/or getting a blueprint from someone in town.

This is a good reason to get your subs up and running quickly because they bring back some poo poo that I haven't seen anywhere else that has unlocked some extra weird pumpkin headed poo poo for my cat.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

In Training posted:

For more utility skill CB recommendations, I love using Evade Extender. level 3 roll with the axe out covers almost as much ground as the ZL+X silkbind dash, it's really fun!

lvl 3 extender is really nice because you can just stay in savage axe and still have a ton of mobility

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
You get an award for beating every mission in the game supposedly but I’m not sure what awards do aside from show up in your guild card.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

thebardyspoon posted:

You get an award for beating every mission in the game supposedly but I’m not sure what awards do aside from show up in your guild card.

That’s it. It’s basically trophies since the Switch/Nintendo don’t have a system level reward like achievement/trophy so games do them within the game itself.

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010

stev posted:

The completionist in you which can't stand that they don't have ticks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
Wrapped up the 3rd special license quest this morning and man is Almudron a dick. I've only fought it twice, but both times it gave me much more trouble than I thought it would using lance.

Maybe it was cause I was playing before I fully woke up but I was having a tough time discerning where, aside from the head, I should be hitting it. Half of the hits around the neck seemed to bounce off and I swear some of the hits around the tail were bouncing too. Any tips?

Also, is it still safe to assume for lance that raw > elemental? Saw a few people on reddit say that that's kind of out the window now but haven't really played around with any elemental weapons yet.