Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
ugh I need to buy one of those leather bits they used to get you to not swallow your tongue during pre-anesthesia surgery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Rectal Death Adept posted:

When you really think about it, due to quantum flux, nothing can really be stated to be objectively true or false.

Except the things I want to believe that is.

The ability to think like this basically makes me invincible. Nothing can bother me if I don't want it to. No argument is plausible unless I want it to be. I am a genius.

This is the ideal debate tactic. You may not like it but this is what peak posting performance looks like.

i saw a similar ideal debate tactic (from a mod no less) that went "sure you might be convinced you have good ideas about getting rid of the camps, but neo-nazis also think their ideas are good"

this works for any argument

e: found it

quote:

If the current order is destroyed, how are you going to ensure that it's replaced by the order you want, instead of the order that the heavily-armed white supremacist militias want?

Sadly, a dedicated belief that your desired policies and systems are morally good is not enough to implement them. The neo-Nazis think their policies and systems are morally good, too, and they've got a lot more guns than you and I do.

WampaLord has issued a correction as of 06:16 on Mar 31, 2021

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
when did we decide that Godwin's law no longer makes sense

Holy gently caress "you might think your ideas are good. The nazis also thought they were good, checkmate"

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Shipon posted:

Holy gently caress "you might think your ideas are good. The nazis also thought they were good, checkmate"

Probably about the same time they decided anyone to the left or right of Obama is a Nazi or a cryptofash. Godwin’s breaks down if you start from the premise that everyone else is literally a nazi

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Shipon posted:

um ACTUALLY Godwin's Law only meant that eventually someone was going to bring up Hitler. It doesn't mean that the person doing that loses the argument :agesilaus:

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
We have the proud, open statement of the man who built the camps on the intention behind them. Barack Obama, and his vice president, Joe Biden, were quite clear on their intended purpose.

We would deter immigration, by making it clear to all that attempting to enter America while unwanted would be punishable by tremendous suffering. As he proceeded to demonstrate, the mechanics of this strategy of deterrence were brutal! Your children would be hurled into dog cages, photographed in their abject misery, and then forced to represent themselves in court, in an open mockery of the concept of a fair trial. You would be made a public, vicious example of, in the hopes that if a democratic administration administered sufficient pain to the undesirable, this would solve the problem of unwanted demographics attempting to enter the country of their betters.

The excuse "The system is broken" is a fundamental attribution error. The system has been functioning precisely as it was designed to, ever since the first five-year-old was told to represent himself in court back in 2014. To concentrate those of undesirable ethnicity, in order to facilitate their purgation from the nation-body, with sufficient brutality to terrify others who might follow in their footsteps.

Obama told you, confident in the knowledge that history would vindicate him as a cunning strategist for saying so: the cruelty was always the point.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
"Concentration camp" is specifically designed to evoke a particular, enraging emotional response that none of the other terms do. Randomly tossing it into an otherwise regular post is an excellent way to make people angrier at a meager cost (generally, to match the poster's anger.) CBP and ICE being full of Nazis, and the Biden administration's failures to date to make the intake process not-horrible, are worth getting angry about. There is no need to use incorrect terminology to make people more furious.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Shipon posted:

"whereas i think my ideas are completely terrible which logically speaking means they should be implemented. check and mate. :smug:"

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

DoomTrainPhD posted:

"Concentration camp" is specifically designed to evoke a particular, enraging emotional response that none of the other terms do. Randomly tossing it into an otherwise regular post is an excellent way to make people angrier at a meager cost (generally, to match the poster's anger.) CBP and ICE being full of Nazis, and the Biden administration's failures to date to make the intake process not-horrible, are worth getting angry about. There is no need to use incorrect terminology to make people more furious.

I don't know which post you're referring to but considering actual Holocaust survivors consider calling them concentration camps to be valid - it's not incorrect terminology.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

fart simpson posted:

i reposted some d&d posts in here and a d&d mod probed me for it and a cspam mod reversed my probe and probed the d&d mod. i think it’s just down to who’s logged in at the moment or something.

:hellyeah:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

tangy yet delightful posted:

I don't know which post you're referring to but considering actual Holocaust survivors consider calling them concentration camps to be valid - it's not incorrect terminology.

excuse me. i believe it was during the trump administration that we were supposed to care about actual holocaust survivors.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Is this even true? Older studies seemed to suggest (infected and recovered) people could get infected and be infectious again without being symptomatic.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Is this even true? Older studies seemed to suggest (infected and recovered) people could get infected and be infectious again without being symptomatic.

absolutely loving not

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

imagine excitedly stanning for a dude who if you ever met him in person would just treat you like youre apu from the simpsons

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
He definitely did an accent in order to get inside

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

tangy yet delightful posted:

Ah but have you considered the opinion of a grumpy d&d IK that wrote a paper about daschau once?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Lib and let die posted:

Ah but have you considered the opinion of a grumpy d&d IK that wrote a paper about daschau once?

not yet i havent. but im listening...

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

WampaLord posted:

i saw a similar ideal debate tactic (from a mod no less) that went "sure you might be convinced you have good ideas about getting rid of the camps, but neo-nazis also think their ideas are good"

oh you think not being racist or homophobic is good and morally correct?

well guess what smart guy, the Nazis thought exterminating the jews was good and morally correct.

I guess the solution is to get armed, which yes I would encourage especially if you're literally out gunned by nazis

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

DoomTrainPhD posted:

people should be loving mad about this poo poo.

I notice that the OP thinks that the people running the camps are Nazis and does not use a euphemism but we should use a euphemism for the camps that said Nazis are running.

also they think that people are mad that Biden isn't making the "intake process" to the Nazi run camp better.

what the gently caress is wrong with this dumb loving moron.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Lib and let die posted:

maybe they need to read their paper again and try to loving learn something from it

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Raskolnikov38 posted:

ugh I need to buy one of those leather bits they used to get you to not swallow your tongue during pre-anesthesia surgery

Just go to a sex store you prude. I know a good one right across from four seasons.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

WampaLord posted:

lol

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

You know who also called them concentration camps?

Oh, actually Hitler probably used whatever the German term is.

NEVERTHELESS

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

docbeard posted:

You know who also called them concentration camps?

Oh, actually Hitler probably used whatever the German term is.

NEVERTHELESS

Konzentrationslager

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

I thought this was Donald Trump for a second before I expanded the image.

DoomTrainPhD posted:

This is a silly argument.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Littlelambseat/status/1377085593251942403
https://twitter.com/bille3b/status/1377091996972507139
https://twitter.com/ZhiZhuWeb/status/1377084522727104520

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

pretty much 100% that he reused this line when he ordered his ice cream

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXpvajPupS8

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

DoomTrainPhD posted:

The real question is why are they getting so angry. My guess is that deep down, they know it's true and the idea that they're wrong/evil completely goes against everything that they've told themselves their entire lives.

So yeah, the democrat party is scum and they're supporting concentration camps.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

"at least it's not Trump" morphing into "at least they're not back in their war-torn or economically devastated home countries"

no, no, don't think about what caused those problems

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/Eangel4285/status/1377120004043247621?s=19

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

You would think these images would be enough to short-circuit even the most dedicated My Party Right Or Also Right fanaticism.

You would think.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

The real question is why are they getting so angry. My guess is that deep down, they know it's true and the idea that they're wrong/evil completely goes against everything that they've told themselves their entire lives.

So yeah, the democrat party is scum and they're supporting concentration camps.

Yah, it's all cognitive dissonance.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
was this a mod posting this, DoomPhD?

because considering that SA has already had 1 confirmed nazi mod, someone posting "you know the problem with the US's Nazi-run camps is that they're not efficient enough" should raise some real loving big red flags

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Maybe we should identify them by the party in power rather than using a loaded term like concentration camp. When Trump was POTUS, we can refer to them as Republican Party Camps, under Biden they have transformed into Democrat Party camps.

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer
No need to get 'more furious' about piling up bodies like the nazis did. Clearly we do it while they are still living so It's different you see, more humane and dignified this way.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

First they came for the Immigrants
And I did not speak out
Because I was not
Err
Because I respected their dignity
Yeah
That's the ticket

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

docbeard posted:

You would think these images would be enough to short-circuit even the most dedicated My Party Right Or Also Right fanaticism.

You would think.

they’re soulless monsters who are loving liars when they say “hey I’m just as mad about the camps as you are!”

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

also lol the genocide loving forum de-IK’d majorian for trying to install morality to a den of psychopaths

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Raskolnikov38 posted:

they’re soulless monsters who are loving liars when they say “hey I’m just as mad about the camps as you are!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Raskolnikov38 posted:

:hai: