Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Playing through Galaxy for the first time since like 2008 put a smile on my face that's only ever been matched by BotW, and having Sunshine in 16:9 was a wonderful bonus

Bummer that SM64 didn't age as well but two solid games for $60 ain't bad even if I've played both of them before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

POCKET CHOMP posted:

cool, i bought it when it came out for 59.99 on the eshop and enjoyed playing old mario games, op

Cool, It's really not the price as much as the limited release (for no reason whatsoever) model, which is pretty much the most anti consumer poo poo in games, but I guess if there is anyone on earth that would be totally ok with that it's nintendo fans.

RadicalTranslation
Jan 26, 2021

Deciding whether to spend $80 on the collection or just emulate the games lol.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
If it makes you feel better they're probably going to available individually on whatever N64/GCN/Wii VC/NSO/whatever thing they're probably working on in the not too distant future.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

Cool, It's really not the price as much as the limited release (for no reason whatsoever) model, which is pretty much the most anti consumer poo poo in games, but I guess if there is anyone on earth that would be totally ok with that it's nintendo fans.

No you're right. It's very dumb and just very money-hungry. The News Feed keeps reminding me to buy it. I bought it physical a month back or so, and will play it as soon as I beat Pikmin 3, but I fully intend on trading it back in.

3D Mario is good, but it's not 2D Mario, that stuff doesn't hold up quite as well.

You'd like to think you could get some respect as a consumer but that's some wishful thinking.

mancalamania posted:

If it makes you feel better they're probably going to available individually on whatever N64/GCN/Wii VC/NSO/whatever thing they're probably working on in the not too distant future.

Boy I hope you're right, but it's just as likely not going to be the case, that sort of set-up feels like a whole lot of wishful thinking.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Is No More Heroes 2 better than 1? I’ve always wanted to play a Suda 51 game and this series seems like a good place to jump in, seeing as we have no Killer7.

Yes and no. NMH2 plays better and the minigames/jobs aren't anywhere near as frustrating but it feels like it's missing something compared to NMH1.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Oscar Wild posted:

The job balance is better but the original tactics story is very good and much better than Advance or A2
FFT's story is really interesting for a video game, because it has unreliable narrators, and you can see that the history books have been morphed or manipulated over time to make certain characters heroes and others villains. And on top of this, its portrayal of the intersection of religion and politics is more realistic than a lot of other types of media, at least as far as character motivations and actions go.

But getting the whole story in-game requires quite a lot of reading, and there are a lot of characters that are each referred to with several different names, which complicates things a lot. It's sort of similar to Dark Souls, where important lore is buried in item descriptions.

At least, that's how I remember it. It's been 15 years since my last playthrough. I tried on my phone, but didn't go past the first battle. Touch screen was just too annoying. I'd really like a Switch release, especially with a 3x speed option to get through battles in a reasonable time.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yes and no. NMH2 plays better and the minigames/jobs aren't anywhere near as frustrating but it feels like it's missing something compared to NMH1.

This is a good assessment. I think a person would get more out of nmh 2 having played nmh 1 first, but notice that missing element in exchange.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

veni veni veni posted:

The mario Allstars release model sucks poo poo and I am really annoyed with myself that I just panic grabbed it off amazon because I don't want to pay out the nose down the road when I am actually in the mood to buy it. I kind of feel like I just paid 65 goddamn dollars for galaxy in 2021 because tbh I love that game but the others are too dated for me to care much about anymore.

Also I must have not been the only one with this idea because on Amazon it was "only ten left 59.99" and when I clicked on it 2 seconds later I had grabbed the last copy and the price went up $3. Nintendo can really suck a dick for this one.

E: never mind I cancelled it there are much better ways to spend $65 on games that doesn't involve fake scarcity bullshit

Just got to Walmart and get it for 50bux

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
They're not gonna release them individually, they're never gonna do GameCube on NSO, and Galaxy 2 is never coming out.

Worklurker
Jan 2, 2014
I didn't buy it out of principle. This is the disney vault bullshit all over again.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Len posted:

Just got to Walmart and get it for 50bux

leave the house? in this economy pandemic??

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

TheScott2K posted:

They're not gonna release them individually, they're never gonna do GameCube on NSO, and Galaxy 2 is never coming out.

Unfortunately I feel like you're right, they always botch what should be a pretty obvious and straightforward classics release. It's pretty hosed up that the Wii has had the comprehensive release of classic nintendo games and that was 15 years ago.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Unfortunately I feel like you're right, they always botch what should be a pretty obvious and straightforward classics release. It's pretty hosed up that the Wii has had the comprehensive release of classic nintendo games and that was 15 years ago.

The Wii U was even better, I think. It added GBA and DS support (but dropped 3rd party stuff like Sega and TurboGraphx stuff).

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

ColdPie posted:

The Wii U was even better, I think. It added GBA and DS support (but dropped 3rd party stuff like Sega and TurboGraphx stuff).

I think some Turbografx actually got added pretty late

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

ColdPie posted:

WiiU had a bunch of good stuff too but by that point third parties caught on that they could resell their own games in collections, I miss the simplicity of the Wii VC with everything in one nice place.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Further to my situation of having borrowed my sister in law's WiiU, is there a (legal and non-modded) way for me to get any and all of my Wii VC purchases downloaded onto the WiiU? Without repurchasing everything, of course.

I'm assuming no.

Edit: actually, I just looked it up, but I don't think this will work, given that a) my Wii is modded (but prior to that, I had a poo poo load of stuff bought from the Wii shop) and b) isn't the Wii shop down, or is that only for new purchases?

I have a feeling that attempting this will ruin the mod of my Wii...

TheScott2K posted:

Bro just bust open the WiiU, it's fine.

Not helpful and not what I asked.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Mar 31, 2021

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Bro just bust open the WiiU, it's fine.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Preservation is actually kind of a big deal and I wish companies didn’t expect to ring cash out of dated stuff for purely greedy reasons

Nintendo is the worst for it. Doubly because they go after ROM sites. They don’t even have the excuse of protecting a current and active ecosystem anymore so it’s extra lovely.

Getting my Switch today hell yeah. Can’t wait! I’ve been staring at the controller and AC for three days.

Which first-party stuff, preferably Mario, has acceptable online multiplayer? I know Nintendo sucks poo poo at online, but it’s my only option right now.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

There is a system transfer app but I have no idea if it works anymore because those Wii servers are no longer up and I think it just transferred the licenses then downloaded everything

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

John Wick of Dogs posted:

There is a system transfer app but I have no idea if it works anymore because those Wii servers are no longer up and I think it just transferred the licenses then downloaded everything

I think it transfers the games themselves, actually. But yeah, look into the transfer app, I think it should still work (assuming the wii mods don’t break it) but either way that’s the answer to if and how you legally transfer stuff to the wii u.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Thanks! I mean, to be fair to Scott, I do plan on modding the WiiU, but I'm trying to also find out what other options I have on top of that.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Worklurker posted:

I didn't buy it out of principle. This is the disney vault bullshit all over again.

Yuuuuuup

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Guys I just went to see Mario. He's...not looking good. The doctor says he doesn't have long but I don't really know how accurate that is because I'm pretty sure it's just three goombas in a doctor's scrubs.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

mancalamania posted:

There were rumors a while back that they were going to do this in a reasonable way too, where people who already purchased the 3D All-Stars collection would be able to redeem the individual titles here.

The problem is we're at D-Day and there's been no official announcements--and frankly, not even further rumor, as to what's going to be done here. Assuming Nintendo does have a plan in the works it's pretty lovely that they've made no announcements and the News channel is engaging in FOMO.

Look, honestly, I enjoyed the 3D All-Stars collection and think it's a worthy purchase, but if you haven't purchased it already you probably don't care enough about to make a FOMO purchase now. For one, physical copies aren't going to vaporize--it sold millions so you should have no problems finding a used copy in the future. Beyond that, if you suddenly decide in the future you really want to play the 3D Marios there's the reverse-engineered source port of Mario 64 and Galaxy (and Sunshine, I guess) runs fine in Dolphin, which makes them no less accessible than a bunch of other Nintendo titles currently stuck on the Wii (see Metroid Prime Trilogy).

The Fire Emblem thing is even weirder and more of a waste of time since the Japanese version is and will still be available through NSO.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

One day more
Another day, another destiny
This never-ending road to Calvary
These men who seem to know my crime
Will surely come a second time
One day more

I did not live until today
How can I live when we are parted?

One day more

Tomorrow you'll be worlds away
And yet with you my world has started

One more day all on my own

Will we ever meet again?

One more day with him not caring
I was born to be with you

What a life I might have known

And I swear I will be true

But he never saw me there

One more day before the storm
Do I follow where she goes?
At the barricades of freedom
Shall I join my brothers there?
When our ranks begin to form
Do I stay or do I dare?
Will you take your place with me?

The time is now
The day is here

One day more

One day more to revolution
We will nip it in the bud
We'll be ready for these schoolboys
They will wet themselves with blood

One day more

Watch 'em run amuck
Catch 'em as they fall
Never know your luck
When there's a free for all
Here a little dip
There a little touch
Most of them are goners
So they won't miss much

One day to a new beginning
Raise the flag of freedom high
Every man will be a king
Every man will be a king
There's a new world for the winning
There's a new world to be won
Do you hear the people sing?

My place is here
I fight with you

One day more

We will join these people's heroes
We will follow where they go
We will learn their little secrets
We will know the things they know

One day more

Watch 'em run amuck
Catch 'em as they fall
Never know you luck
When there's a free for all

We'll be ready for the schoolboys
Tomorrow we'll be far away
Tomorrow is the judgement day

Tomorrow we'll discover
What our God in Heaven has in store
One more dawn
One more day
One day more

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Pretty sure the Wii transfer tool was tied to the Wii servers and is obsolete. If you mod the Wii U you should be able to copy over your game files after you mod the Wii VC. Or just hunt down rom sites because gently caress Nintendo.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I'm just waiting for the zelda collection, available only on one day in mid July and only if the weather conditions are correct and you have to hit the dragon in the eyes with a lightning arrow. Also it doesn't have Majora's Mask for some reason.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Further to my situation of having borrowed my sister in law's WiiU, is there a (legal and non-modded) way for me to get any and all of my Wii VC purchases downloaded onto the WiiU? Without repurchasing everything, of course.

I'm assuming no.

Edit: actually, I just looked it up, but I don't think this will work, given that a) my Wii is modded (but prior to that, I had a poo poo load of stuff bought from the Wii shop) and b) isn't the Wii shop down, or is that only for new purchases?

I have a feeling that attempting this will ruin the mod of my Wii...

Not helpful and not what I asked.

The system transfer will basically put all your wii content on the wii u's wii channel, assuming it still works. It even transfers your save files over.

If you own the games on wii VC, you get an option to purchase the corresponding wii u VC title at a steep discount. Like $1 to repurchase a NES title or $1.50 for a SNES title. That way you don't have to fire up wii mode, can use the gamepad instead of a wiimote controller, and you get save states and rebindable keys. So actually you can have your games again and its your choice to repurchase or no.

But no idea if the transfer system still works or if the mod would interfere.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

It's been a long day without you, my friend
And I'll tell you all about it when I see you again
We've come a long way from where we began
Oh, I'll tell you all about it when I see you again

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Worklurker posted:

TheScott2K posted:

This is pretty much where I landed on it. Can just keep the Wii U in the wings and not give Nintendo money for that behavior.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Is BotW 2 and/or Metroid Prime 4 out yet. Plz respond.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

anatomi posted:

Yes but unfortunately they were only available to purchase for 12 hours and you just missed it :(

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

anatomi posted:

Yeah and they're actually the same game. Samus lands in Hyrule

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TheScott2K posted:

There's actually been some pretty decent circumstantial evidence pointing otherwise with the Nintendo Switch Online app merely existing (it's scalable like they want/can add more to it beyond NES and SNES games), as well as the original Fire Emblem release with the injected English script.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm glad that mario is dying

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Johnny Joestar posted:

i'm glad that mario is dying

The age of Kirby is here.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

I said come in! posted:

The age of Kirby is here.

:yeah:

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Tomorrow Nintendo will just be like "April Fools! All-Stars is still available!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Yeah and they're actually the same game. Samus lands in Hyrule

I would play the poo poo out of this. Just give me BotW with the same enemies and puzzles but with Samus's Metroid Prime skillset. The Calamity bosses are pretty reminiscent of Phazon corruption anyway.

dreams.txt:
-Ice beam for Cryonis
-A Half-Life style gravity beam for Magnesis
-Bombs can only be deployed in ball mode
-The champion ghosts act as suit upgrades
-Wall jumps instead of climbing
-Super Missiles accomplish what Stasis accomplishes in puzzles

Muscle Tracer fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 31, 2021