Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
there's more than one RAGE 2 DLC. i think one of them is ~$15.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
You know how the main game of Rage 2 is extremely satisfying when you are murdering dudes and then extremely tedious in between those moments?

What if they fixed that by making the murdering dudes also extremely tedious? That is the DLCs.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Ciaphas posted:

I only learned years later that the labels were referring to what you think about what the interview subject just said, not Cole's response. after that Doubt made more sense, as a bluff-call because you think they're lying but can't prove it (if you could, you'd choose Lie)

apparently in the remastered version they did (which is not the PC port for some reason) they changed the Doubt label to "Bad Cop," which makes some sense given that it makes Cole go from like "tell me about the argument, ma'am" to "I KNOW YOU ATE THOSE BOYS, YOU CAN'T HIDE FROM ME"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I don't know anything about the game except that one scene where you can browbeat an 8-year old girl whose mother was just murdered, which I think made the whole endeavor worth it.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Seems like they got their wiki name right.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Orv posted:

What if they fixed that by making the murdering dudes also extremely tedious? That is the DLCs.
Haha, oh yeah, how so?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mordja posted:

Haha, oh yeah, how so?

In the typical way that most games gently caress it up, honestly. "We've given you an extremely powerful suite of tools, weapons and abilities. Here's our DLC in which basically every new enemy has some way of no-selling your coolest poo poo."

The teleporting fuckers were the worst but they all sucked. Granted I was not really into Rage 2 for a challenging experience because while I thought the power fantasy was good, the actual challenge of the encounter design wasn't. So maybe you might find it less annoying and more properly challenging, to be fair.

E: I should probably clarify that I feel like "no-selling your coolest poo poo regardless" and "forcing you to use your coolest poo poo in different ways" are different things, Rage 2 does the former.

Orv fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Mar 31, 2021

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

I don't know anything about the game except that one scene where you can browbeat an 8-year old girl whose mother was just murdered, which I think made the whole endeavor worth it.

[CW for the implication of child abuse]

Here’s the best question Cole can ask in the entire game.

https://youtu.be/U1qnRv-fuxQ

Bonus, this is one of those accusations you can just throw out there and then retract with no consequences.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Orv posted:

In the typical way that most games gently caress it up, honestly. "We've given you an extremely powerful suite of tools, weapons and abilities. Here's our DLC in which basically every new enemy has some way of no-selling your coolest poo poo."

The teleporting fuckers were the worst but they all sucked. Granted I was not really into Rage 2 for a challenging experience because while I thought the power fantasy was good, the actual challenge of the encounter design wasn't. So maybe you might find it less annoying and more properly challenging, to be fair.

E: I should probably clarify that I feel like "no-selling your coolest poo poo regardless" and "forcing you to use your coolest poo poo in different ways" are different things, Rage 2 does the former.
I also liked Rage 2 solely on the basis of its combat, but after uninstalling I have no desire to ever go back to it, and besides, Doom Eternal makes it pretty much redundant.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Rage 2 DLC, much like yesteryear Ubisoft story DLC it is entirely unrecommendable I feel so you're not really missing anything.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Blattdorf posted:

The Binding of Isaac: Repentance is out now.

It's also... not available for non-Windows platforms, or even standalone purchase. Uh. Alright.

e: and they disabled mods again lmfao this is The Worst Update

Let me get this straight: this is deliberate? They turned a fan mod into official content, and in the process somehow tied its lore into the previous official DLC or what the gently caress ever so that it's now DLC for their previous DLC which everybody ended up hating, so you have to buy the Bad DLC to be allowed to buy the Good DLC. And then disabled mods again.

Nobody let the big publishers get wind of this business model, holy loving poo poo.

MonkeyforaHead fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 31, 2021

Orv
May 4, 2011
Hmm, that feels like something that Valve might either slap down or look at with extreme interest depending. Or more likely than anything just let it slide but still, that's pretty poo poo.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

MonkeyforaHead posted:

It's also... not available for non-Windows platforms, or even standalone purchase. Uh. Alright.

Let me get this straight: this is deliberate? They turned a fan mod into official content, and in the process somehow tied its lore into the previous official DLC or what the gently caress ever so that it's now DLC for their previous DLC which everybody ended up hating, so you have to buy the Bad DLC to be allowed to buy the Good DLC. And then disabled mods again.

Nobody let the big publishers get wind of this business model, holy loving poo poo.

But to be fair to McMillen.

quote:

While reporting this story, we reached out to Edmund McMillen, the creator of Binding of Isaac, who has been working with Nicalis for console ports and remakes of his games since 2012. When informed of the specific allegations against Nicalis that Kotaku planned to report, McMillen said that Rodriguez “wasn’t ever my boss, he’s always just been a publisher of my work” and that he would be halting his plans to work with them on two future games.

“I won’t be moving forward with Nicalis when it comes to the port of The Legend of Bum-bo or any console versions of Mewgenics,” he said in an email. “[Binding of Isaac: Repentance] will still be releasing as originally planned, the team poured their heart and soul into this DLC and it’s very close to releasing.”

https://kotaku.com/inside-the-ghosting-racism-and-exploitation-at-game-p-1838068522

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Mods are only disabled temporarily.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Not sure if anyone knows this but the publisher, Nicalis, is absolute trash and it's a shame they have this under their umbrella.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

TOOT BOOT posted:

Mods are only disabled temporarily.

How were BoI mods distributed? Does it use the Workshop?

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Also the AB+ bundle currently has a higher discount so if anyone for some reason wanted to go from 0-100 and throw themselves into the BoI + All DLC meat grinder it'd ostensibly be cheaper to buy this first and then this after.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
So I've been playing Endzone for a while now and I really like it so far. It's mostly very Banished-like, but it has some neat things of its own. The weather system is cool: the weather fluctuates between seasons of rain, dry seasons, and drought seasons. It's neat to watch the environment literally change around you as rainclouds pass by or everything dry out and the ground turn yellow and cracked as a drought gets going. There are technologies that can only be learned by sending out expeditions into pregenerated ruins on the game map, which will then do things like make new types of food or tools available to you. Overall, I would give it a cautious recommendation now that I've put three hours into it, but with a game like this, that is of course only scratching the surface.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

After finishing Rage 2 I realized I don't remember any of it.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

It's for the best.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

MonkeyforaHead posted:

They turned a fan mod into official content, but also added a boatload of stuff on top of it. The Anti-Birth author worked with the team on this, too.

The mods are disabled temporarily because they still need to finish out a few things. They'll be back.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I just started (and finished) "Her Story" today, and it was pretty interesting, and it got me wondering about other similar games. How is Contradiction: Spot the Liar? It's currently on sale at the moment.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I just started (and finished) "Her Story" today, and it was pretty interesting, and it got me wondering about other similar games. How is Contradiction: Spot the Liar? It's currently on sale at the moment.

I suppose the main gimmick - listening to people talk and picking out the contradictions or mistakes - is similar to Her Story but the tone in particular is far, far away from it. Despite the circumstances of the plot its delightfully and deliberately silly but unlike a lot of low budget projects manages to fit into that perfect space between taking its humour too far into annoying and keeping things too serious into comical. Its spurred on by the main character (and some of the other characters) pulling out some of the most amusing faces you'll ever see at the best possible moments during the interviews - as opposed to just doing it all the time that is.

sad question
May 30, 2020

You might enjoy Infectious Madness Of Dr Dekker. It has a different vibe but is mechanically similar to Her Story (finding correct keywords/phrases to progress).

Contradiction is enjoyable as well.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

sad question posted:

You might enjoy Infectious Madness Of Dr Dekker.
I watched a playthrough of that and it seemed very frustrating to play, because basically can't do much except for going down the list of words and hoping you find the one that makes the character progress through their arc. There didn't really seem to be much gameplay or reasoning involved aside from that. If that's doesn't sound interesting to you, I wouldn't recommend it just based on what I've seen.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 31, 2021

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Contradiction is one of the best FMV games ever made, it's amazing, get it. It's not Her Story at all but it's so good, it would be awesome to go into it again blind.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

sad question posted:

You might enjoy Infectious Madness Of Dr Dekker. It has a different vibe but is mechanically similar to Her Story (finding correct keywords/phrases to progress).

Contradiction is enjoyable as well.

As someone who recently played through Dekker: god please, watch a longplay of it or something, the gameplay was frustrating to figure out until I got a walkthrough for what to ask. They really whiffed on that one, which is a shame because the concept is lots of fun.

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.
Weirdly I'm playing through Contradiction right now with some friends over discord, it's very fun and as mentioned above the faces pulled during dialogue are worth seeing. Jenks' chewing of the scenery is delightful, but Paul Darrow playing Captain Disdainful is the star of the show.

We've already decided to play Shapeshifting Detective next, but Her Story and possibly Late Shift are on the block at some point too.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

It's the bane of many a text parser game - not enough depth. Doctor Dekker is definitely one of those - the premise is great and there's a variety of interesting characters, but getting the game to understand your input is painful.

Contradiction is good.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Palpek posted:

Contradiction is one of the best FMV games ever made, it's amazing, get it. It's not Her Story at all but it's so good, it would be awesome to go into it again blind.

How long of a game is it? I liked Her Story because it was pretty quick but fell off Telling Lies because it was way too long, especially when there's 8 minute clips you have to watch twice because you only get one side of the conversation at once, and then it turns out 90% of the other side of the "conversation" is a small child just staring into camera not saying anything while her dad tells her a bedtime story

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Contradiction is a detective game but it's much more a straightforward FMV 'adventure' than Her Story and Telling Lies. Those two rely on you forensically going over every piece of content to find keywords, but Contradiction has you interviewing suspects and conducting an investigation by exploring and finding hard evidence, then figuring out lies.

I'd say it is somewhere under 10 hours to get through.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

How long of a game is it? I liked Her Story because it was pretty quick but fell off Telling Lies because it was way too long, especially when there's 8 minute clips you have to watch twice because you only get one side of the conversation at once, and then it turns out 90% of the other side of the "conversation" is a small child just staring into camera not saying anything while her dad tells her a bedtime story

Depending on how well you spot the liars I feel its probably about 4 or 5 hours? A lot of that is of course watching the videos.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

sad question posted:

Okay, that one looks interesting too... but given the warnings below, I'll probably hold off on that one. Actually... I think Jesse Cox or Dodger did a longplay of that. I might check that one out.

ErrEff posted:

Contradiction is a detective game but it's much more a straightforward FMV 'adventure' than Her Story and Telling Lies. Those two rely on you forensically going over every piece of content to find keywords, but Contradiction has you interviewing suspects and conducting an investigation by exploring and finding hard evidence, then figuring out lies.

I'd say it is somewhere under 10 hours to get through.

That definitely makes Contradiction more interesting. Her Story was fine, but I found out the big twist very early (just 12 searches!) by trying to ask about the victim or suspect's friends, and that keyword led me to something, and following that thing led me to another thing.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

MonkeyforaHead posted:

people didn't hate the previous DLC, the problem was in the free expansions they did afterwards which generally messed up the balance and threw in a ton of bugs / issues that took a while to be resolved.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

That definitely makes Contradiction more interesting. Her Story was fine, but I found out the big twist very early (just 12 searches!) by trying to ask about the victim or suspect's friends, and that keyword led me to something, and following that thing led me to another thing.

My then-girlfriend basically that out in 4 moves, she looked at me and said "is that it"?

I told her normally it lasts longer.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Also the AB+ bundle currently has a higher discount so if anyone for some reason wanted to go from 0-100 and throw themselves into the BoI + All DLC meat grinder it'd ostensibly be cheaper to buy this first and then this after.
Steam's weird percentages strike again. This is not true. There is no bundle discount for any of the bundles, so it doesn't matter what order you buy in. The different percentages are due to the base game and old DLC being 50% off, while repentance is full price.
So
Base game:7.49/14.99 -50% off
Afterbirth DLC 5.49/10.99 -50% off
Afterbirth+ (can't buy alone) 4.99/9.99 -50% off

The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ Bundle
[contains all of the above, and is completable]
priced at whatever missing pieces of the above add up to. Listed at 50% off since all the pieces are 50% off. There's no additional discount.

So if you own nothing it's 7.49+5.49+4.99=17.97/35.97=50%

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth Complete Bundle
[contains the above, plus the new 14.99 DLC]
priced at the sum of the missing pieces, will say less than 50% off since new DLC is not discounted.

So if you own nothing it's 17.97(as above)+14.99= 32.96/50.96 (35% off) but it's the same actual amount of money as chaining purchases.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

I was about to go "holy poo poo!" because it's literally the first time since its release 5 years ago that it's gone on sale but lol they just bumped the base price up and it's the same cost as before

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Pointing out that Hard West and its DLC can be got for less than 5bux. It's XCOM in the Old West. I've only played the first scenario (groupings of about 10 missions) and just started the 2nd, but so far it's all right. Not as polished as 2012 XCOM, even a little janky in places, but it brings enough new stuff to the table to be enjoyable for fans of turn- and grid-based tacticool combat.

You can equip 2 weapons, 2 consumable and one 'totem' (armor) on each character, most of which has direct comparisons to XCOM soldier loadouts, but one new thing is a resource called Luck that gets consumed when a shot misses you, refilled when you get hit, and is uses as MP for a lot of your special abilities. Also you can collect and equip playing cards for additional bonuses, and if you build a poker hand with them (2 of a kind, straight, etc) you get a bonus bonus.

Instead of base management, there's an overworld map and you just click around on FTL-style nodes and pick options from a text menu, mostly about mining for gold but also some story things like finding extra gear or choosing to help or rob people you meet. Also various shops and stuff to buy gear and consumables.

Also Kingdom Hearts isn't that hard to follow if you know a little bit about Campbell's Hero's Journey:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwEwxKkCGJE

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
You know, I just realized that it's pretty funny when Steam asks me if I want to recommend a game I have 'played' for 2100+ hours (EU4). Although to be fair, I have often let the game sit paused in the background for days at a time while playing a bit here and there.

I don't really bother with the recommendations and stuff, but you'd think that after a certain threshold of hours that steam would just assume you'd recommend a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Astroneer got a big update today!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1mV616rvpU

New mission system

New, bigger power systems

And a smaller one (QT RTG, to the left) that can either be found or rewarded from certain missions

And the feature that I'm most excited about : a COMPASS!!! no more getting lost on long exploratory journeys

Power production and usage was also thoroughly revamped, with higher power production but also much higher usage depending on the industry. Check the update link for more details.

Cross posted to the dedicated Astroneer thread.

e. goddamnit, should've waited for 1 more post. ah well, suppose it doesn't really matter

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 1, 2021