Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

bees x1000 posted:

Annie shifted again in the titan forest while pursuring Eren, Eren shifted twice when retaking Shiganshina. It's a combination of training for stamina and how demanding your titan is. The colossal is a one and done thing.

A titan transformation seems to instantly heal the shifter from all injuries. To my understanding, it's any wounds suffered by the main body while tranformed that prevent you from shifting again until healed. Any time we see anyone shift more than once in a short period of time they're exited their first transformation intact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I literally started watching this show several months ago because it was called The Final Season.

Oh well it could have been a year wait. Here's hoping that when AOT Final Final Season is out we are back to somewhat normal life

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm not going to hold it against them, covid has hosed everything up and I hear things have gotten worse in japan again, so that's probably made things much slower.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I don't know if the original intention was to have a break and the original marketing makes me think they intended to run through until the end.

I guess things have come up and they've needed to split it and schedule wise next winter is the only time they have free.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

They did the same thing during season 3 and that was a different studio, pre-covid. I don't know how common a mega-season with a long break in the middle is in the anime world, but I know Breaking Bad did the same thing with their final season, where it aired over two periods of 3 months each, with a 9 month break between.

I don't exactly know what the incentive is to proclaim the "final season" but effectively break it out into two distinct parts, but it's certainly not the only piece of media to do that in recent years. I guess it hooks viewers who want to see the story's conclusion.

edit: re: breaking bad this was apparently to give time to write the final chunk of episodes

JahRoo fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Mar 30, 2021

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

JahRoo posted:

They did the same thing during season 3 and that was a different studio, pre-covid. I don't know how common a mega-season with a long break in the middle is in the anime world, but I know Breaking Bad did the same thing with their final season, where it aired over two periods of 3 months each, with a 9 month break between.

I don't exactly know what the incentive is to proclaim the "final season" but effectively break it out into two distinct parts, but it's certainly not the only piece of media to do that in recent years. I guess it hooks viewers who want to see the story's conclusion.

If nothing else calling it the "final season" sure seemed to do wonders for its reception, definitely got the impression a lot more people vocally cared while it was airing in comparison to the last few seasons.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
I'm pretty sure the studio literally cannot afford to animate the whole final story in a single chunk. It's a very expensive show to make with a very high audience expectation of quality. The studio got a cut of the money for the currently aired episodes, and that's likely to carry things over to the end.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
gently caress yes! Now I just have to wait a little longer avoiding manga spoilers! :toot:

Also this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzSpueiBBHs

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The final manga chapter comes out in a week so mute your feeds unless you want to be suggested ending analysis and reactions

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

hatty posted:

The final manga chapter comes out in a week so mute your feeds unless you want to be suggested ending analysis and reactions

Or just do the galaxy brain thing, and get off Twitter all together. :shrug:

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Honest question, so people mention often that this is an expensive show to make, but what exactly makes it so expensive compared to other shows? Is it the amount of action sequences?

I'd love a more in depth explanation if anyone knows.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Expectations have been set high and the odm gear pretty much necessitates very dynamic action that's difficult to take shortcuts with, is the short of it I think

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Frionnel posted:

Honest question, so people mention often that this is an expensive show to make, but what exactly makes it so expensive compared to other shows? Is it the amount of action sequences?

I'd love a more in depth explanation if anyone knows.

From what I've read, it's the action sequences, yeah.

Attack on Titan has a lot of fight scenes that need to juggle large groups fighting highly detailed opponents at high speeds, with very few flashy effects and a lot of reliance on the fundamentals, meaning a lot of the shortcuts that look good are less viable.

Like, let's compare to Jujutsu Kaisen, another anime from the same studio in the same season that's recognized for good looking fights. Most of the time, in Jujutsu Kaisen, a fight is fairly small. One on one, two on two, maybe two on one. Meanwhile, Attack on Titan's juggling much bigger groups, moving at high speeds, with a more detailed artstyle that lends itself less well to some of the standard techniques.

Add in high expectations, and yeah. It's a rough job, even compared to the usual.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Preparing myself for a Game of Thrones style disappointment ending.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Freakazoid_ posted:

Since the source material will be finished soon I'm not worried about this. It's gonna rule.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I'm pretty sure the studio literally cannot afford to animate the whole final story in a single chunk. It's a very expensive show to make with a very high audience expectation of quality. The studio got a cut of the money for the currently aired episodes, and that's likely to carry things over to the end.

I do not think money is the main factor in the studio not able to animate the whole final story in a single chunk. The production schedule for the final season has been inhumane for the staff. There was a reason why no studio wanted to take on the show for this season because the production committee was wanting to have the show air at a certain time period. Mappa was the only studio that was willing to take it because it is a studio known to work al their staff to death. The last few episodes were basically almost done on airing date. The only way to get the final story in a single chunk was to give the studio time to animate it and the production committee did not give that option. It was somewhat of a miracle that the season looked as decent as it was.

Edit: CG is probably more expensive than hand drawn but the reason to use CG is that it is quicker to do especially when under a tight timeline.

psyer fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Mar 31, 2021

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Freakazoid_ posted:

It's still possible the ending's going to be a disappointment, but the manga's close enough to done that a full Game of Thrones is all but impossible, and there's at least a few more highlights before it's over.

Some of the best chapters in the manga are still to come. (As are a few weaker ones.)

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Also, just wanted to say Eren is a dick now...

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

chiasaur11 posted:

From what I've read, it's the action sequences, yeah.

Attack on Titan has a lot of fight scenes that need to juggle large groups fighting highly detailed opponents at high speeds, with very few flashy effects and a lot of reliance on the fundamentals, meaning a lot of the shortcuts that look good are less viable.

Like, let's compare to Jujutsu Kaisen, another anime from the same studio in the same season that's recognized for good looking fights. Most of the time, in Jujutsu Kaisen, a fight is fairly small. One on one, two on two, maybe two on one. Meanwhile, Attack on Titan's juggling much bigger groups, moving at high speeds, with a more detailed artstyle that lends itself less well to some of the standard techniques.

Add in high expectations, and yeah. It's a rough job, even compared to the usual.
Honestly I am shocked that Mappa did both Jujutsu Kaisen and AoT in the same season and made them look pretty drat good.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

Honestly I am shocked that Mappa did both Jujutsu Kaisen and AoT in the same season and made them look pretty drat good.

Two different set of teams working on it for the most part. Staff did have more time to work on Jujutsu Kaisen.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Freakazoid_ posted:

Even if the last episode ends up in a disappointment, it won't be like GoT, where the quality bar was already being lowered two seasons before the ending (beyond some pretty CG battles).

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Also, just wanted to say Eren is a dick now...

He's free. If you think he's a dick, maybe it's because you are not free and your posts are affected by your genetics.

Jokes aside, or I guess a different kind of joke, someone pointed out to me that in the ep where Eren breaks down Mikasa verbally and Armin physically, it's basically a genius move from his part. Because he sure as hell could not compete with them in the opposite order, Mikasa may not want to hurt him but could absolutely destroy him if she did, and Armin is significantly smarter than him even after he left his reckless idiot phase behind.

I'm also totally not convinced Armin's tears to Yelena were true. He realized he could manipulate her to get a way out. It didn't work due to completely unforeseen factors, but goddamn Armin perfectly read Yelena in loving minutes.

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Mar 31, 2021

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Blaze Dragon posted:

He's free. If you think he's a dick, maybe it's because you are not free and your posts are affected by your genetics gravity.

/

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'm also totally not convinced Armin's tears to Yelena were true. He realized he could manipulate her to get a way out. It didn't work due to completely unforeseen factors, but goddamn Armin perfectly read Yelena in loving minutes.
Yea I figure this is another ploy of his

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Jackard posted:

Yea I figure this is another ploy of his

I mean, it's classic manipulative Armin. He's empathetic and moral, but the boy still suggested false flag operations to encourage uprisings against the government until everyone else went "Uh, what?"

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Blaze Dragon posted:

He's free.

totally. It was obvious enough i thought yelena would see through it but we never got a chance to find out. She seemed pretty sold.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Like an archetypal fanatic, Yelena seems genuinely enamored with the Jaeger brothers, and will joyfully embrace Armin for accepting the plan - and without hesitation put him down like a dog if he then betrayed them.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
idk, I think Yalena shot dude because he was giving up the goods and not because of his racist tirade...

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I fired up the final season, went into episode 75 thinking it was the last one and how do they wrap this up, oh wait they split up the season when you could of just called that season 5.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

But it's not season 5. It's season 4...

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
But it’s not season 4 it’s “The Final Season (part 1)”

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Alan_Shore posted:

But it's not season 5. It's season 4...

What is a season, but a miserable pile of secrets

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Attack on Titan Season 4 was called "The Final Season".

Friday the 13th 4 was called "The Final Chapter".

Think about it. We've got at least 8 more seasons left.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
Attack on Titan produced by Toei with 8 seasons of filler content.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Attack on Titan: A New Rumbling
Attack on Titan Part VI: Eren Lives
Attack on Titan Part VII: The New Basement
Attack on Titan Part VIII: Eren Takes Manhattan
Eren Goes to Hell: The Final Attack

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I'd watch the gently caress out of a Jason X style movie where a bunch of space dummies find a frozen medieval peasant and then get murked when the peasant goes titan and hunts them across their space ship.

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
AoT has just been a very elaborate promotional campaign for the new onsen that Isayama is opening.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

We’ve been talking in this thread since before the first episode that the projected run is 16 episodes and that there was no way that would cover the material, that the manga is like months away from done and it would be dumb to keep going til the end without waiting, and that there would almost certainly be a second chunk plus maybe a movie to cap off.

And then that happened. So here we are, see you in 2022.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Catpetter1981 posted:

AoT has just been a very elaborate promotional campaign for the new onsen that Isayama is opening.
something something an AoT onsen where the colossal titan is the one heating up the water

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Captain Invictus posted:

something something an AoT onsen where the colossal titan is the one heating up the water

A tea infuser, but it’s Beartoto’s Colossal Titan head poking over the Wall rim.