Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

3D Megadoodoo posted:

So what's it say?

Ugh....well, when I went in to get the tattoo the artist said she needed a bar code to copy because she didn't want to try to just free-hand it. I, being an rear end in a top hat 17 year old, ran across the street to a convenience store and ripped the barcode off a map of Wisconsin and walked back over. About ten minutes later while I was sitting on the table one of the employees from the convenience store walked over and said I had to pay for the map that I tore up. I actually had the map in my car for years and years before it accidentally got thrown out during a car wash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I'm glad I didn't get any tattoos back when i wanted them, because I would've gotten cool Greek/Roman stuff and it would be awkward nowadays.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Ugh....well, when I went in to get the tattoo the artist said she needed a bar code to copy because she didn't want to try to just free-hand it. I, being an rear end in a top hat 17 year old, ran across the street to a convenience store and ripped the barcode off a map of Wisconsin and walked back over. About ten minutes later while I was sitting on the table one of the employees from the convenience store walked over and said I had to pay for the map that I tore up. I actually had the map in my car for years and years before it accidentally got thrown out during a car wash.
So it's literally just a random sales barcode out of a convenience store? lol, yeah, I'd regret that one too.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Lmao this is brilliant

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Cardiovorax posted:

I've never seriously considered it because knowing myself, I'd regret whatever I get within an hour of being done with it. Love my earrings, though.

Yeah, this is where I’m at too. Nothing against them but I wouldn’t be happy with anything I picked.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Solice Kirsk posted:

This is loving hilarious :haw:

Byzantine posted:

I'm glad I didn't get any tattoos back when i wanted them, because I would've gotten cool Greek/Roman stuff and it would be awkward nowadays.

Yeah, when I was in college I considered getting some sort of old Norse poem tattooed on me in elder futhark runes because I was a huger than now sweeaboo.

Thankfully I never went through with it.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Byzantine posted:

lol I'm watching the show plebs and one of the characters had the classic SPQR tattoo

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

I have the bar ode from a bottle of Mad Dog Purple Rain. And I chose it on purpose. It can always be worse.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Anyone here have one of those white-ink tattoos? I hear they're considered really tacky in tattoo circles, but I find the concept really interesting.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I have a white ink bunny on my neck. It looks like a wad of toilet paper in the vague shape of a bunny under normal light and a white hot load under UV.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I love looking at good tattoos, because they're art. I love looking at bad tattoos because they're cringey. I don't have any tattoos because I don't want to spend the kind of money you need to spend to get the good ones on something I might not care for eventually.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Cardiovorax posted:

So it's literally just a random sales barcode out of a convenience store? lol, yeah, I'd regret that one too.

fizzymercury posted:

I have the bar ode from a bottle of Mad Dog Purple Rain. And I chose it on purpose. It can always be worse.

My brother was a packet of lemon cordial mix for a couple of years until the barcode got too blurry to scan.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

fizzymercury posted:

You're telling me. When I was living in a punk squat we were all planning on branding our forearms. This brilliant plan involved buying metal mailbox letters and then heating them up on a charcoal grill. The only reason we didn't follow through was because we couldn't figure out how to hold them the right way with BBQ tongs.

There was a lot of life altering mistakes missed by a hairbreadth for me in those days though.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Raspberry Pi is the worst thing that has happened to the world of computers after Edgar Dijkstra's stupid opinions about GOTO.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

it owns to play mame games on my pi connected to a big CRT though

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Lmao were people really claiming that tattoos (things that cost hundreds of dollars of your free spending money) were hated because of classism? Boring middle class people try so hard to invent oppression for themselves.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Tattoos are traditionally more popular in the lower classes, at least in the US.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, that's absolutely a real association. Tattoos are considered a working-class thing in many parts of the Western world. Having big and visible tattoos will make it a lot harder for you to get an office job, or really white-collar jobs in general. Prison tattoos have more than a little to do with that reputation, too. Even in East Asia, having large visible tattoos associates you with organized crime in people's minds.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Not in anything resembling the recent past. Like yes it was once a foreign outsider marker but the people in this thread aren’t being judged for their pen-needle prison tattoo. They’re being judged for their naruto arm sleeves.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Captain Monkey posted:

Not in anything resembling the recent past. Like yes it was once a foreign outsider marker but the people in this thread aren’t being judged for their pen-needle prison tattoo. They’re being judged for their naruto arm sleeves.
It depends on which generation you're talking to. Like, to people in their 40s and 50s, tattoos are definitely still a low-class "thug" thing. People in their 20s won't care anymore.

I wouldn't aim for a job as a bank teller after getting a big ol' full sleeve tattoo.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

It depends on which generation you're talking to. Like, to people in their 40s and 50s, tattoos are definitely still a low-class "thug" thing. People in their 20s won't care anymore.

You need to add about 10-20 years to all those ages. You’re still operating on things you learned from 80’s sitcoms.

Or go outside.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Captain Monkey posted:

You need to add about 10-20 years to all those ages. You’re still operating on things you learned from 80’s sitcoms.

Or go outside.
Yes, I will listen to the goon who tells me to go outside and that I don't know anything about real life. That cannot possibly go wrong.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

Yes, I will listen to the goon who tells me to go outside and that I don't know anything about real life. That cannot possibly go wrong.

I'm sorry you had to find out this way, but it's 2021 out there, not 1981.

edit: Like I get it, when you were feeling boring and trying to be edgy you dropped $500 on your keikaku kanji tattoo from the local not scary tattoo guy, and you thought that made you a rebel, but it's no longer a thing associated with bikers and outlaws, it's just a thing middle class kids do in college.

Yngwie Mangosteen has a new favorite as of 15:22 on Mar 31, 2021

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Captain Monkey posted:

I'm definitely judged for my prison tattoos first and my Hello Kitty chest piece second what the gently caress are you talking about?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Most people in this thread*

A few goons have been to prison I guess.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Cardiovorax posted:

I wouldn't aim for a job as a bank teller after getting a big ol' full sleeve tattoo.

I've got a couple tattoos that peak out even when wearing a suit and up until yesterday I worked in banking with ultra high net worth clients. No one, including all of my older clients and bosses, cared about tattoos. Now if I had walked in with a tie with an animal print on it on the other hand....

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

I've got a couple tattoos that peak out even when wearing a suit and up until yesterday I worked in banking with ultra high net worth clients. No one, including all of my older clients and bosses, cared about tattoos. Now if I had walked in with a tie with an animal print on it on the other hand....

Yeah, this basically - I've worked in all sorts of corporate environments and a solid 50% or so of people have visible or partially visible tattoos and nobody cares or has cared since I was a teenager back in the 90's. The people still harping about it haven't been outside in literally decades.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

Captain Monkey posted:

The people still harping about it haven't been outside in literally decades.

I reckon it's more likely they live in a region where it still matters.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Captain Monkey posted:

I was talking about the perception of them being "common", which is absolutely a class thing, although admittedly also a generational thing.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

kupachek posted:

I live in the South, the region it's most likely to matter.

Disco Pope posted:

I was talking about the perception of them being "common", which is absolutely a class thing, although admittedly also a generational thing.

It's 100% generational, and only really matters to people over 60 these days.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
I think everyone should get a tattoo, as a rite of passage into adulthood.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

kupachek posted:

Yeah this entire "nobody cares about tattoos" conversation is a bit baffling to someone living in an area that's mostly upper middle class republicans. Tattoos are still very much a subject of class war memes here. There was a big ol' kerfuffle in my town about our mayor having a large and visible tattoo. He's a professional fireman and it's the fireman's shield thing and he got it to commemorate a town hero that died fighting a fire. But John and Glenda Pearlgrabber actually put up signs asking how you're meant to trust someone who has a tattoo. No mention of his three DUI's though. And no it's not generational, the main spearhead for the smear campaign is in their late 30's.

It's really still a thing. Be glad you live somewhere where it isn't. It's dire.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Wind chimes are noise pollution. If you have any neighbors at all within earshot, and you put up a wind chime, you're an inconsiderate rear end in a top hat. It's no different than if you were blasting music (or any other sound) across the neighborhood 24 hours a day.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

fizzymercury posted:

Yeah this entire "nobody cares about tattoos" conversation is a bit baffling to someone living in an area that's mostly upper middle class republicans. Tattoos are still very much a subject of class war memes here. There was a big ol' kerfuffle in my town about our mayor having a large and visible tattoo. He's a professional fireman and it's the fireman's shield thing and he got it to commemorate a town hero that died fighting a fire. But John and Glenda Pearlgrabber actually put up signs asking how you're meant to trust someone who has a tattoo. No mention of his three DUI's though. And no it's not generational, the main spearhead for the smear campaign is in their late 30's.

It's really still a thing. Be glad you live somewhere where it isn't. It's dire.

I'm sorry you leave in Mayfield next door to the Cleavers, most of us do not.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

Captain Monkey posted:

Sure doesn't sounds like it considering how adamant you are about it not mattering?

I also don't think it's generational, but it is personal values. I know a few guys who wouldn't hire an employee who had tattoo's that can't be covered by standard work garb, the same way they won't hire someone who's unkempt. Maybe they have the talent to do the job and excel at it, but they still look like poo poo, so the employer isn't going to gamble on getting burned.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Not sure why "people feel differently about tattoos depending on where you live" became such a hot take.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Captain Monkey posted:

I'm sorry you leave in Mayfield next door to the Cleavers, most of us do not.

It's the town from Footloose and you probably are surrounded by communities like this one and wouldn't know it because you don't socialize with the type of people that typically come from them.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Captain Monkey posted:

I wouldn’t be so sure of that. Left wing people on the coasts can be extremely classist. There is a lot of truth to the ‘California Liberal’ archetype.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

PHOU: An argument about tattoos would be very interesting in 1991 or earlier but tattoos are super common and super boring so any argument that comes from them is even more boring

Manager Hoyden has a new favorite as of 17:13 on Mar 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

fizzymercury posted:

Ha! At first I was thinking "they must be going after the tats because they can't toss any better mud for the election" but then I got to the DUIs. That's some next level pearlclutching there.