Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

M'decorum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Lansdowne posted:

Y'know something really stuck out to me that moment years ago where FEMA was doing a supply drop only for a group of puerto ricans and Trump unannounced showed up delivering paper towels to everyone. I never forgot that moment and I think the reason why despite being initially hostile towards Trump during the presidency and pro-Warren/Sanders I pretty happily was able to switch enthusiastically to Trump, that moment was there subconsciously the entire time and I think all along I think we knew Trump had that potential the entire time.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Thump! posted:

like for fucks sake they’re loving concentration camps

excuse me, its actually sparkling incarceration

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I saw this all coming but man it's really making me pissed as if I didn't. I admit Inthiught AOC wouldnjust fade away and not actually pull the "look Cruz said we shouldn't are about these camps in bad faith so guess those kids can rot" line though.

Eggplant Squire has issued a correction as of 17:28 on Mar 31, 2021

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Lansdowne posted:

Y'know something really stuck out to me that moment years ago where FEMA was doing a supply drop only for a group of puerto ricans and Trump unannounced showed up delivering paper towels to everyone. I never forgot that moment and I think the reason why despite being initially hostile towards Trump during the presidency and pro-Warren/Sanders I pretty happily was able to switch enthusiastically to Trump, that moment was there subconsciously the entire time and I think all along I think we knew Trump had that potential the entire time.

beautiful

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/06/27/what-should-we-do-about-concentration-camps-trumps-america

Detainees at ICE facilities, both children and adults, are at high risk of sexual assault. And recently the Trump Administration argued in court that it was okay to house migrant children in cold, crowded cells and force them to sleep on concrete floors without access to basic hygiene products like soap and toothbrushes.

Earlier this month, the Office of Refugee Resettlement declared that it would no longer fund daily schooling, outdoor playtime, or legal services for migrant children, as several lawyers who inspected an overcrowded border station in Clint, Texas, reported filthy conditions and hungry children detained for sometimes almost as long as a month despite a law stipulating that they be transferred or released within seventy-two hours.

“In my twenty-two years of doing visits with children in detention, I have never heard of this level of inhumanity,” said Holly Cooper, a lawyer who co-directs the University of California, Davis, Immigration Law Clinic.

At least 2,737 children have been separated at the border, and at least twenty-two people have died in U.S. custody under the Trump Administration, including at least seven children.

George Takei, a survivor of the Japanese internment camps now famous for his role as Hikaru Sulu on Star Trek, wrote that at least “during the internment of Japanese-Americans, I and other children were not stripped from our parents.” Other survivors of the internment camps expressed horror when the Trump Administration recently announced its plan to turn Fort Sill in Oklahoma, a former internment camp, into an emergency shelter for 1,400 unaccompanied minors.

“I know what’s happening to these children will have a lasting impact on their mental health,” said psychotherapist Satsuki Ina, who was born in the Tule Lake Segregation Center. “Indefinite detention is a form of torture.”

Journalist Andrea Pitzer, author of One Long Night: A Global History of Concentration Camps, told Esquire these facilities fall under her book’s definition of concentration camps, places of “mass detention of civilians without trial.” The article’s author, Jack Holmes, points out that “not every concentration camp is a death camp—in fact, their primary purpose is rarely extermination, and never in the beginning. Often, much of the death and suffering is a result of insufficient resources, overcrowding, and deteriorating conditions.”

The United States Holocaust Memorial Museum has drawn criticism for condemning the use of the term “concentration camp” to describe the U.S. migrant detention centers. “Why bother learning about the Holocaust at all,” responded Rafi Schwartz in Splinter, “if the goal is simply to ossify its horrors as something that offers no contemporary roadmap for action?”

Even Mike Godwin, the lawyer who coined “Godwin’s Law” positing that any Internet conversation that goes on long enough approaches a comparison to Nazis or Hitler, agreed that the term “concentration camp” in this case is accurate.

The Trump Administration may use language like “detainment facilities” to describe these holding facilities, but let’s call them what they really are: concentration camps.

In 2017, before the Trump Administration’s family separation policy was implemented, the Anne Frank Center for Mutual Respect, a human rights organization based in New York, tweeted that there were “alarming parallels” between Trump and Hitler. Steven Goldstein, the center’s executive director, told Newsweek, “1930s Germany imposed a series of escalating steps of oppression, including demonization, discrimination, and isolation of vulnerable communities, that evoke what we are seeing today.”

It's literally all the same poo poo, except blue team and red team swapped objectives.

AaaaaaaaHHHHahaaaaaAAAAAAAAA

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Out of curiosity, I checked, and the term "concentration camps" was used 158 times in the general election thread. Most of those in the context of "there are concentration camps, we need to get rid of Trump."

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Verus posted:

If we lived in the 1850s, D&D posters would be arguing about how we need to return fugitive slaves to the south.

The liberal/Northern-anti abolitionist argument against slavery abolition was literally "but what will we do with all these newly unemployed uneducated freed slaves????" Direct parallel to "but what will we do with all these unaccompanied children if not put them in camps?"

The dearth of imagination of the liberal mind is always the final reason for why atrocities must continue.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

joepinetree posted:

Out of curiosity, I checked, and the term "concentration camps" was used 158 times in the general election thread. Most of those in the context of "there are concentration camps, we need to get rid of Trump."

when I asked someone about this directly I was told that Joe's intentions matter so they don't count as concentration camps anymore

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

when I asked someone about this directly I was told that Joe's intentions matter so they don't count as concentration camps anymore

his intentions are the same as trump's though

e: actually they might be worse

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

silicone thrills posted:

This is the same argument that like half of D&D made as to why they didn't believe Tara Reade. Because literally only a couple of news outlets would hear her story and one of those was RT and therefor SHE MUST BE A RUSSIAN PLANT. not that you know... msnbc, cnn, etc all had a vested interest in getting Biden into the presidency and weren't ever going to make her story prime time, no matter how much evidence she had backing her.

Libs literally care more about the source of news than if that news actually happened and looking at poo poo with an even eye. If it doesn't come from one of their approved sources, it may as well have never happened.

Dnd literally probes if your Twitter link isn't good enough

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

lol even the Godwin's Law guy thinks it's fair to call em concentration camps. Fuckin owned.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

a Loving Dog posted:

Trump almost chucking a can of soup into the crowd before being told hey maybe don't was epic

trump beaning a dude in the noggin with a can of cream of mushroom would have instantly slain me

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

You can pick one to have happened between the Trump soup throw and the Northam moonwalk. Which do u pick.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Oh Snapple! posted:

You can pick one to have happened between the Trump soup throw and the Northam moonwalk. Which do u pick.

I cant choose between my two imaginary and deformed children

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Oh Snapple! posted:

Moonwalk it's not even a competition

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Oh Snapple! posted:

Northam moonwalk unquestionably. I still crack up just thinking about this almost happening.

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Oh Snapple! posted:

Soup. We'd have forgotten the moonwalk by now

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
soup, on the condition it bonks someone

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord
the moonwalk would not nearly be as funny as the interviews of the guy that got his head bust open from trump's heavenly soup

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

moonwalk but only if Northam would've ended with a crotch grab + yell combo

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

I dunno, I find the idea of the POTUS just knocking someone out with a loving can of soup way funnier, mostly for the mental image of what the aftermath would have looked like. The whole crowd rushing and fighting for the can of soup like it's a home run ball at the World Series.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

paranoid randroid posted:

soup, on the condition it bonks someone

I think this is the deciding factor. No bonk? Get out of here. Bonk? lmao hell yeah

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Josh Christ posted:

Soup. We'd have forgotten the moonwalk by now

:yooge: :wrong:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Lugubrious posted:

I dunno, I find the idea of the POTUS just knocking someone out with a loving can of soup way funnier, mostly for the mental image of what the aftermath would have looked like. The whole crowd rushing and fighting for the can of soup like it's a home run ball at the World Series.

it gets funnier the longer i think about it

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

the moonwalk wouldn't hurt anybody though, i'd feel sad for a hurricane survivor gettin beaned with a can of soup

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Lugubrious posted:

Imagine if George W Bush came back up from behind that lectern and threw a can of soup back at the shoe guy

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Excelzior posted:

moonwalk but only if Northam would've ended with a crotch grab + yell combo

if he'd moonwalked into the spin into crotch grab northam would have been president by now

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Trump putting all his Fat Moron strength behind the can and just belting Brent Expat straight between the loving eyes

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

The Oldest Man posted:

Imagine if George W Bush came back up from behind that lectern and threw a can of soup back at the shoe guy

Don't make me have a positive thought about George bush

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

spacemang_spliff posted:

why not tell them to gently caress off and post better if they don't want to get made fun of?

them being upset about their anonymized posts being mocked is their problem to deal with. maybe they should consider reflecting on why what they are posting is worthy of being mocked.

maybe they should come in here and defend their reactionary opinions instead of running to hide behind mommy's dress

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

the funniest thing trump almost did was rip open his button down to reveal a Superman T-shirt after beating Covid. his handlers refused to let him do it, which is an immortal crime.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

tragedy is when ralph northam does a moonwalk, comedy is when trump* fastball pitches a can of soup into someone's head

*at one time, the greatest baseball player in New York

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Ok, so the debate is officially a Trump noggen bean vs. Northam full moonwalk + spin/crotch grab/HEE! HEE! move?

This is tough.

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
My thing is that governor's do not have the cultural memory that presidents do. Eliot Spitzer got owned for liking pussy and feet and I thought about that for the first time in years because I was trying to think of another good governor story.

Presidents though

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Lansdowne posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pzYmhoFlq4

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

joepinetree posted:

Well good thing Ralph ruled that the search engine is off limits. It's people like you that think someone having honest personal growth and changing their mind about concentration camps after 1/20 that are bringing these forums into disrepute.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Lugubrious posted:

trump running back behind a wall and pulling off his mask to reveal agent 47

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/0ddette/status/1377301369749639174?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Trump throwing paper towels to the crowd at PR was incredible