Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I've been screwing around with Sophie as my first Atelier game, and I'm finding that the difficulty really ramps up at a certain point- I'm around 6-8 hours in, my party is all at level 12, and in the last hour or two they've gone from being pretty robust to getting thrashed in every combat encounter. So, what's the intended progression route? Should I be ignoring combat and giving everyone the best attack items I can make, focusing on gear, or what? The majority of guides I've found seem to imply that this is the point where I'm supposed to set up a bunch of weird multiplication and transport loops to move a bunch of endgame trait clusters onto everyone's gear, but that feels like a huge escalation in complexity from what I've been rewarded for doing thus far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You probably want to start synthesising better gear if you haven't been, keep in mind that any equipment you've made yourself is going to end up better quality than stuff the game gives you even if you don't go nuts on traits and stuff, which is pretty hard at that point anyway.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Most of your stats come from gear in Atelier games. As I recall, in Sophie, the process is that each new ingot or cloth recipe unlocks a new tier of weapon/armor. As I recall, quality is irrelevant to the first step, but traits do matter. After that, you can stuff additional ingots/cloth into the gear to increase its stats, and quality does matter for this step.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
I'm currently playing Totori for the first time on Switch, and yeah, I constantly feel like I'm falling behind. It taking so long to get anywhere doesn't help. I feel like I'm constantly wasting time running all over Arland. The scientist guy seems to be ready to soup up the carriage if I bring him some Pure Oil...but somehow I missed that recipe and I don't know how. Which means I have no idea where to look for it. Does anyone happen to remember?

Other than that it's fun and cute, but I'm really hoping there's a New Game+ so I can try again.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Totori definitely has the most stressful time limit in the series.

According to gamefaqs, Pure Oil is in the "cooking basics" book you buy in Gerhard's bar.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Totori complete remake when

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
The exact same game but the true ending requirements is less bullshit.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

MarsDragon posted:

I'm currently playing Totori for the first time on Switch, and yeah, I constantly feel like I'm falling behind. It taking so long to get anywhere doesn't help. I feel like I'm constantly wasting time running all over Arland. The scientist guy seems to be ready to soup up the carriage if I bring him some Pure Oil...but somehow I missed that recipe and I don't know how. Which means I have no idea where to look for it. Does anyone happen to remember?

Other than that it's fun and cute, but I'm really hoping there's a New Game+ so I can try again.

There is, don't worry. Pretty sure you get to keep your adventure equipment so you get the bonuses on movement/search speed from the beginning, that cuts down a bunch of time. It's still the hardest of the trilogy, though.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
https://twitter.com/KoeiTecmoUS/status/1376591146059620354?s=19

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

cheetah7071 posted:

Totori definitely has the most stressful time limit in the series.

According to gamefaqs, Pure Oil is in the "cooking basics" book you buy in Gerhard's bar.

Oh hell, I remember seeing that, passing it up because I didn't have the cash right then, and then completely forgetting that Gerhard even sells stuff until right now. Thank you.

mycelia posted:

There is, don't worry. Pretty sure you get to keep your adventure equipment so you get the bonuses on movement/search speed from the beginning, that cuts down a bunch of time. It's still the hardest of the trilogy, though.

Thanks! I probably won't replay it right away, but knowing it'll be there when I feel like it helps.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Hmm, I've heard both the Dusk and Ryza trilogies are good... is there any clear criteria for picking one, once I finish the Mysterious stuff?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I have writeups of both in the OP. I'd say the main selling points are that Ryza has action-y combat and no time limit, whereas Dusk has the better story/writing, turn-based combat, and time limits (until Shallie)

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Ooh thanks! One question on Dusk: I've remained intentionally unspoiled about plots, since I'm one of those people who loves going into games blind, but I've heard out-of-context things that it apparently involves apocalyptic themes- does it have a relatively upbeat story/ending? Because I'm really not down to play a huge, long game about the world being doomed these days.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Ayesha is barely even about that. The setting is post-post-apocalyptic but Ayesha herself doesn't interface with the reality of that all that much. The sequels do a bit more but mostly in the context of trying to undo some of the lingering damage from the ancient catastrophe.

e: even when it does come up I'd say the mood is more somber than depressing. Ultimately these are still ateliers and are still pretty upbeat, chill times

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Mar 30, 2021

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Post-post-apocalyptic is a good way to put it. The world has already ended and is starting to grow back, but there are still a few remnants of the old apocalypse keeping things from flourishing.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

the legacy of the apocalypse loving things up in the present-day is a theme which grows more salient the further you go in the series, from stuff like the land still getting less fertile to the water situation in the region shallie is located in

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I haven't played Shallie yet but the vibe I got was that the world was inevitably dying and there's not really anything anyone can do about it. Like a "you can't save the world, but you can at least make life better for the people around you" thing.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Hmkay cool, thanks for the mini-reviews! :)

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Both Dusk and Mysterious touch on the potential hazards of the abuse of Alchemy, in different ways.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
So is firis as bad as it's apparently made out to be? i like stuff where I can just do whatever and chase my brainworms around but if it sucks I may as well not bother

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1376951716113883136

Digital Deluxe and Ultimate copies also on sale. They're also re-releasing preorder bonuses tomorrow to celebrate the million copies sold. Steam users have to own the game to claim but PS4/Switch can claim on their respective store fronts.

Firis was a little bit different with the first part of the game requiring reaching the other side of the map in a year of in game time while visiting at least 3 of 5 alchemists (easy to do.) Then it's back to the usual open world.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Reco posted:

So is firis as bad as it's apparently made out to be? i like stuff where I can just do whatever and chase my brainworms around but if it sucks I may as well not bother

It's really trying to be a bit different and more open world than other entries and only partly succeeds.

I'm hoping the DX version can smooth some of its rougher edges.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I just fought against Fortress in Ayesha and drat, it was almost a brick wall considering the combat in most of the game has been very easy. I think it's the first enemy that has made me go back to the workshop and get better bombs and heals.

It's weird how most of the complexity of the alchemy system is optional, but I appreciate it since I remember bouncing off Ryza because it looked too complex.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Omi no Kami posted:

Ooh thanks! One question on Dusk: I've remained intentionally unspoiled about plots, since I'm one of those people who loves going into games blind, but I've heard out-of-context things that it apparently involves apocalyptic themes- does it have a relatively upbeat story/ending? Because I'm really not down to play a huge, long game about the world being doomed these days.

I'm playing Ayesha for the first time and I absolutely adore the tone

The background lore details are undeniably somber, but it never lingers too much, and many of the themes deal with overcoming melancholy in a very positive way. There are so many moments of people turning lemons into lemonade

Here's a small, non-spoilery example: there's a town that is built on top of series of huge cliffs. It turns out it actually used to be an ocean port town, but a long time ago the ocean dried up, leaving behind nothing but dry cliffs and a practically orphaned settlement

In a more traditional post-apocalypse setting this would probably be an abandoned or very depressing locale

But here, the town is flourishing! In fact, it's still a trade port; they just swapped boats for hot air balloons. There's even a family living nearby that makes their living harvesting salt from the dried up ocean.

The entire game is full of things like that. It's very refreshing

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.

Reco posted:

Firis players are divided into two groups, the group that hated what it was trying to do, and the group that liked what it was trying to do. I'm in the latter myself.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Reco posted:

Whenever anyone asks about Firis, I will heed the call to defend it.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
ryza games are on sale on the switch apparently

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/KoeiTecmoUS/status/1377304295104684036

The Divertimento's Embrace costume was also listed as free for Ryza 1. It was previously a preorder bonus with a disclaimer it would be free at a later date. There's a brief event between Ryza and Klaudia that gets triggered when worn.

Summer Adventure (Ryza without her jacket) is $2.99.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Those are pretty cute. Like the black one a bit more.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I read a few Escha & Logy reviews, apparently the steam version has a bug that randomly deletes save data? Is that an actual thing, or just one or two guys finding an obscure edge case?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
How well do the new atelier games play on the Switch? They shouldn’t be too demanding but it doesn’t hurt to check instead of splurging on the sale and getting burned

Psychorider
May 15, 2009

Omi no Kami posted:

I read a few Escha & Logy reviews, apparently the steam version has a bug that randomly deletes save data? Is that an actual thing, or just one or two guys finding an obscure edge case?

Unless it is an entirely different bug, it does not delete save data. What happens is it fails to load the global save file thingy that contains your settings and global unlocks like costumes and CGs, so it assumes it's your first time booting up and makes a new blank one overriding the old one. Your save games remain untouched. I got hit by it fairly early so didn't lose much but it's annoying.

What you can do to avoid it is check your settings whenever you boot the game to see if they've been reset, if so quit immediatly without changing anything and restart. It only overrides the file if you actually modify something so you won't lose anything.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

https://www.gematsu.com/2021/04/atelier-online-alchemist-of-bressisle-coming-west

looks like we're gonna get the atelier mobage on this side of the pacific

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Last Celebration posted:

How well do the new atelier games play on the Switch? They shouldn’t be too demanding but it doesn’t hurt to check instead of splurging on the sale and getting burned

The Ryza games? I played through both of them on the switch with no problems. I thought the occasional load time in Ryza 2 dragged a bit, but that could have been my cheap sd card, and even then they weren’t psx game loading.

N-N-N-NINE BREAKER
Jul 12, 2014

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

https://www.gematsu.com/2021/04/atelier-online-alchemist-of-bressisle-coming-west

looks like we're gonna get the atelier mobage on this side of the pacific

What's the gameplay like? Is there interesting crafting, or is it just an atelier skin over a phone game?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

N-N-N-NINE BREAKER posted:

What's the gameplay like? Is there interesting crafting, or is it just an atelier skin over a phone game?

after soliciting some info, i've heard it's like a neverending endgame, minus the hard things to fight or ultimate items to make; items only have one trait, inheritance is RNG unless you use a limited resource (meant to drive mtx but also given out for free at a slow rate)

also apparently the game makes money (?) less through character whaling and more by paywalling QoL and event participation

N-N-N-NINE BREAKER
Jul 12, 2014

yikes

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Psychorider posted:

Unless it is an entirely different bug, it does not delete save data. What happens is it fails to load the global save file thingy that contains your settings and global unlocks like costumes and CGs, so it assumes it's your first time booting up and makes a new blank one overriding the old one. Your save games remain untouched. I got hit by it fairly early so didn't lose much but it's annoying.

What you can do to avoid it is check your settings whenever you boot the game to see if they've been reset, if so quit immediatly without changing anything and restart. It only overrides the file if you actually modify something so you won't lose anything.

Okay rad, thanks!

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
Just finished Ayesha. I absolutely loved it - in fact, I think it might be a perfect game...? Not in the "10/10 GotY best game ever" way, more like all of its priorities and goals were perfectly aligned and I am left completely satisfied at the end.

All the characters were wonderful, I really enjoyed the Japanese VA cast, combat was easy but fun and snappy, and alchemy hit the right mix of complex and accessible

My one complaint is a small one: I don't think they did a very good job explaining that the (Travel) tasks were very important and the primary ways to open up new maps. That's really unintuitive, especially in the beginning when I was trying to be efficient with my time. I'd leave maps "early" when I only had one time slice left instead of burning an entire day for just one last node or enemy. Oops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Steam has a notification that the original Sophie, Firis, and Lydie & Suelle will be delisted on April 21st. It's unknown if that will be the same case with the PS4/Vita versions but there's little reason to rush out and get a digital copy.

PSN lists the 22nd for North America as the delisting date.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Apr 3, 2021