Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Okay?

https://twitter.com/onepantherplace/status/1377077220884291585?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I really wish this guy wasn't such a jackass.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Not sure how many good lawyers use rambling social media posts of that nature. Not sure how posting that helps anything whatsoever.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Oh Christ.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
I can see it already, people are going to use this to justify why it's okay for Watson to keep playing.

"Well, clearly it couldn't have been that bad if they weren't willing to bring evidence to the police!"

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I mean complaining about the politics in the HPD and referring it to your previous political campaign, one in which you were caught red handed making up text messages, is REALLY loving BAD LAWYERING

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Is Buzzbe still a good lawyer? Like he had some impressive judgements before but he seems like he's going to gently caress this up before it gets to trial.

Edit: i cannot spell this guy's name correctly for the life of me. My brain just shorts out.

Ches Neckbeard fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Mar 31, 2021

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I wish this Buzbee guy didn't seem like such a bumbling moron

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

What "other investigative authorities" is he even talking about?

Does Judge Judy have a bunch of detectives on retainer or something?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Is Buzzbe still a good lawyer? Like he had some impressive judgements before but he seems like he's going to gently caress this up before it gets to trial.

Edit: i cannot spell this guy's name correctly for the life of me. My brain just shorts out.

Rudy Giuliani was theoretically once a good lawyer.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Obviously I'm not a lawyer, or even what some might call "near average intelligence", say, but as their legal council if you discovered this potential conflict of interest aren't you morally, if not legally, obligated to refer your clients in this matter to other council?

I mean yea there's the temptation to stay on to be the public figurehead for this and the notoriety that entails, and I'm guessing clearly that's in play here, but you'd think publicly stating "I have a conflict of interest." Would REQUIRE some action...

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Obviously criminal law isn’t my thing but that strikes me as inherently suspicious.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Ches Neckbeard posted:

His most famous judgement was a $100m award from BP that was reduced to $1m on appeal so :shrug:

Amy Pole Her posted:

Obviously criminal law isn’t my thing but that strikes me as inherently suspicious.

Makes me wonder if it's an attempt to reach a settlement in which nothing is publicly disclosed and it all just goes away

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Rudy Giuliani was theoretically once a good lawyer.

Yeah but he had a stroke or something right?

e: anyway that statement reads like an attempt to run for mayor again more than a legal thing. The whole "Rusty Hardin's son is going to gently caress us" claim might even be actionable? IDK

Intruder fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Mar 31, 2021

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I think it’s more likely this dude sees this as a way to become a celebrity and is trying to be cute for that purpose.

Which is not good for his plaintiffs.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

i mean i’d probably reserve judgment on buzbee’s lawyerin until more comes out; there are lots of reasons not to trust law enforcement with details on criminal behavior

Intruder posted:

His most famous judgement was a $100m award from BP that was reduced to $1m on appeal so :shrug:

that has more to do with the state of tort reform vs any actual evaluation of his lawyering

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
There is no real reason. As things aren’t going to be meaningfully different if you do it at some later date

Plus you know he said he was gonna do it then backtracked

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
He didn't say he was going to do it, he said he HAD done it. He's been steadily backtracking since until finally arriving at "Well if you idiots had elected me I could be having him prosecuted" which isn't going to work as well as he thinks if the people I've heard talking about it are any indication

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Two more lawsuits filed this morning. As with last time, I won't type up the sordid details of the actual assaults, I'll just quote whatever seems new or unusual. The full texts of the lawsuits are at the Scribd links.

quote:

When asked if he wanted a male or female massage therapist, Watson specifically requested that it be a female and requested to see the Instagram pages of the women so he could choose the specific therapist.

quote:

When Plaintiff responded no again, Defendant Watson realized that Plaintiff was not going to entertain his sexual advances and stated that the massage was done.

#21 -- and this one seems really extra bad compared to the others (not that the others weren't already bad) and has a lot more detail about the victim's state of mind.

quote:

Watson initially contacted Plaintiff in July 2020 on SnapChat, via direct message. Watson and Plaintiff had four sessions in total: from July -- September 2020. With each session, Watson's behavior became progressively worse. After each session, Watson would aggressively and obsessively message Plaintiff to book the next message. During the massage sessions, Watson assaulted and harassed Plaintiff starting with purposely exposing himself to her and touching her with his penis, to ultimately groping her, coercing her to perform oral sex on him, and ejaculating on her.

quote:

Watson told Plaintiff that his usual massage therapist was on hiatus de to COVID-19.

quote:

Plaintiff informed Watson that she did not yet have her massage therapy license.
This is a footnote I haven't seen before:

quote:

Plaintiff now regrets not asking more questions about Watson. Plaintiff now realizes, too late, that there is no legitimate reason that Watson would need to seek massages out from SnapChat.

quote:

Plaintiff felt uncomfortable and confused during the session. On the one hand, she felt the behavior was bizarre, but on the other hand because he had not touched her, and allowed her to refuse some of his more bizarre requests, she concluded that Watson was accustomed to getting what he wanted, and perhaps she was being a bit too sensitive.

quote:

Plaintiff grew more and more uncomfortable by the end of the massage but again she thought it was just nerves on her part. She wanted to give Watson the benefit of the doubt and did not want to risk Watson giving her a bad review.

quote:

Watson was aware Plaintiff was a single mom and was financially struggling. Watson used such information to his advantage in an effort to manipulate her.

quote:

After the third session, Watson inundated Plaintiff with messages requesting another session. Plaintiff was afraid of what Watson would do to her career if she did not submit to his requests. She felt forced and trapped as Watson had a lot of clout and power as an NFL player. Watson was in control. Plaintiff reluctantly agreed to a fourth session.

I won't bother quoting the details of the fourth session, you know where this is going. #20, in contrast to #21, was with a licensed professional who had years of experience, and Watson cut it short pretty abruptly and moved on. It seems clear that he knew how to feel out whether his victims were inexperienced and could be coerced.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I really hope buzzbee knows what he's doing, he seem like such a doofus and these women deserve any kind of justice they can get.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I'm wondering about these deleted Instagram messages. I know they aren't actually deleted, Instagram has records of these messages on their servers. Is it possible to compel Instagram to turn over these messages without criminal charges?

Facebook, for example, won't ever turn over records.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

I'm wondering about these deleted Instagram messages. I know they aren't actually deleted, Instagram has records of these messages on their servers. Is it possible to compel Instagram to turn over these messages without criminal charges?

Facebook owns Instagram.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Instagram is owned by Facebook so that'll probably help inform. Typically account content disclosure requires a search warrant.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
What I'm learning from this is that Snapchat is the superior social media app as everything gets erased over time, and you'll get notified immediately if somebody screenshots your snap.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Android Apocalypse posted:

What I'm learning from this is that Snapchat is the superior social media app as everything gets erased over time, and you'll get notified immediately if somebody screenshots your snap.

Nothing is ever erased. Maybe on the client side, but I'd be willing to bet Snapchat saves EVERYTHING for a certain retention period on the server side.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Buzbee will subpoena the records, and enforcement then turns to Texas courts. How much will ultimately get turned over depends on how much the court wants to make Instagram comply.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

Buzbee will subpoena the records,

I’m becoming less sure he’s gonna do much of anything.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
My coworker said this is just a smear campaign by the Texans and the women just want money because there is no criminal charges.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

If Watson is able to keep playing, it'll be thanks in part to Buzbee's incompetence. Good lord.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

It’s gonna come out he’s told these women to not go to the cops and file criminal complaints and to instead let him handle everything because that way he’s the big star.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
So the TL;DR version of Buzbee's rambling post is that there's a conflict of interest because Watson's lawyer's son is a superior at the HPD, right?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

From the Watson camp today: https://twitter.com/BenVolin/status/1377297401527033858?s=19

Not sure how well this will fly, but doesn't seem to be going over great. If anything it makes it seem extremely odd that Watson has seen 40+ professionals at this point in a span of.. 2 years? Weird how he doesn't seem to have repeat business. Just makes it seem like there's more smoke than extinguishing the fire.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

This is a titanic clash of bad lawyers.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

How normal is it for an athlete to see so many massage therapists? I could see maybe 2 or 3, maybe up to 6 if you struggled to find someone you like. But like 40 to 50?? And saying he was nice to half of them doesn't excuse the other half...

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Only the best and brightest down here in Houston.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Harlock posted:

From the Watson camp today: https://twitter.com/BenVolin/status/1377297401527033858?s=19

Not sure how well this will fly, but doesn't seem to be going over great. If anything it makes it seem extremely odd that Watson has seen 40+ professionals at this point in a span of.. 2 years? Weird how he doesn't seem to have repeat business. Just makes it seem like there's more smoke than extinguishing the fire.

Except Watson targeted women who weren't massage therapists. MO made a little more defined by that statement but of course Florio is going to run with this like it means something.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

really queer Christmas posted:

How normal is it for an athlete to see so many massage therapists? I could see maybe 2 or 3, maybe up to 6 if you struggled to find someone you like. But like 40 to 50?? And saying he was nice to half of them doesn't excuse the other half...

Only the best and brightest down here in Houston.

It's not normal. He's deliberately seeking these women out because he gets off on it.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
The ole compiling a list of women you didn’t sexually assault tactic lol

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Pimpcasso posted:

The ole compiling a list of women you didn’t sexually assault tactic lol

"There are literally billions of women Deshaun Watson has not sexually assaulted."

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

"There are literally billions of women Deshaun Watson has not sexually assaulted."

A variation of this line was recently unironically used to defend someone but I can’t remember the context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

So that's at minimum 42 massage therapists (or would-be-therapists (or estheticians and flight attendants)) that Watson was working with.

Nothing out of the ordinary here, move on.