Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Snake Maze posted:

It's messed up how the game forces you to stop and craft all the Almudron gear by making it look so cool.

Yeah, but good luck on those fuckin gloves.

Impermanent posted:

very excited for all the new CB mains to unlock the final CB switch skill :getin:

I am trying to craft all the CBs as I unlock them, but I'm still not getting any kind of notification about the last skill, what gives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

So, overall Heavy Bowgun trip report is that... it's all right? I think I need Guard 5 before I can make a strict opinion. I think I also need better Bowguns. Spread is cool but I hate being in the monster's face when I'm supposed to be distant, and Pierce is sometimes hard to land doing multiplayer when the monster isn't facing me - and even sometimes when it is, it comes too fast for me to shoot and be able to block afterwards due to the recoil. Seems like it's a bit more skill taxy than I gave it credit for, and I'm going to need to look for better armor for it I think. I also don't know if it's always worth charging or if I should machine gun ammo as much as possible, haven't really done the math on that.

I think my next priority is going to be making actual elemental bowguns with the elemental piercing ammo as a focus and make decos for elemental attack and see if that makes a large difference. I also wonder if "pierce up" affects elemental piercing ammo in addition? That could be a fun stack. Now that I'm in HR 5 I don't feel nearly as bottlenecked in terms of being able to have good armor, and the deco selection is already shaping up quite well. The Flinch Free talisman I got is a bonus. But I also have some checkmarks to get in single player so I might do that too to relax, get more cash, and dojo up my buddies so I can get better returns on argosy trading. Even if I don't end up loving HBG, putting in the time to learn it is still enlightening.

...it hurts my fingers to hold ZL for so long though.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Yeah, but good luck on those fuckin gloves.

I am trying to craft all the CBs as I unlock them, but I'm still not getting any kind of notification about the last skill, what gives?

you need to do a special quest in HR hub quests, it doesn't come from crafting.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

What's a good way to get a monster to sleep. Komitsu gave me a quest to take a picture of a sleeping Arzuros, I tried tossing down some drugged meat but it wouldn't take it

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Pablo Nergigante posted:

What's a good way to get a monster to sleep. Komitsu gave me a quest to take a picture of a sleeping Arzuros, I tried tossing down some drugged meat but it wouldn't take it

Beat it up until it's weak and then follow it to where it goes to sleep - at a distance, so it will actually think it's safe to sleep.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Alxprit posted:

So, overall Heavy Bowgun trip report is that... it's all right? I think I need Guard 5 before I can make a strict opinion. I think I also need better Bowguns. Spread is cool but I hate being in the monster's face when I'm supposed to be distant, and Pierce is sometimes hard to land doing multiplayer when the monster isn't facing me - and even sometimes when it is, it comes too fast for me to shoot and be able to block afterwards due to the recoil. Seems like it's a bit more skill taxy than I gave it credit for, and I'm going to need to look for better armor for it I think. I also don't know if it's always worth charging or if I should machine gun ammo as much as possible, haven't really done the math on that.

I think my next priority is going to be making actual elemental bowguns with the elemental piercing ammo as a focus and make decos for elemental attack and see if that makes a large difference. I also wonder if "pierce up" affects elemental piercing ammo in addition? That could be a fun stack. Now that I'm in HR 5 I don't feel nearly as bottlenecked in terms of being able to have good armor, and the deco selection is already shaping up quite well. The Flinch Free talisman I got is a bonus. But I also have some checkmarks to get in single player so I might do that too to relax, get more cash, and dojo up my buddies so I can get better returns on argosy trading. Even if I don't end up loving HBG, putting in the time to learn it is still enlightening.

...it hurts my fingers to hold ZL for so long though.

Def try out LBG too if you haven't. I started with HBG then shifted to LBG and am glad I did - though I plan to revisit HBG in HR.

Did you try Focus 3 with charged HBG shots? Wondering if that's going to change the charge time significantly. This is why I plan to come back to it in HR, when I can form better sets.

Re: Elemental, Pierce, and elemental pierce ammo. Pierce got a major boost in Rise since it ticks a lot more than in World, so it's definitely good to try with elemental ammo for the additional hits. Some of the LBG switchable skills that boost damage temporarily do so more for elemental than for raw damage too, so it feels like Capcom would like to see elemental pierce ammo do well.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Wrist Watch posted:

I get that monsters have to move faster than normal when transitioning between areas to make up for the fact that there's no zones anymore, but the transition between normal movement and "lmao later nerd" is a little jarring sometimes.

https://twitter.com/Cythrin/status/1377037480243781632

That Khezu is just doing the palamute drift move, this is clearly intentional

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

LBG is probably more my style but I feel turned off from using it due to its degeneracy and embarrassment in Iceborne, lol. Plus blocking is cool and good.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Alxprit posted:

Beat it up until it's weak and then follow it to where it goes to sleep - at a distance, so it will actually think it's safe to sleep.

Oh that makes sense lol. I'll probably just do the village Arzuros hunt and clown on it until it falls asleep

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Impermanent posted:

very excited for all the new CB mains to unlock the final CB switch skill :getin:

Like a lot of the cool moves on this game, that is also basically just something from Generations.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I can't stop playing lance. The wirebug counter feels so good to land

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
CB user's

What are the conditions for the super fast transitions? Sometimes my A+X > A+X > A+X is super fast, and sometimes it's normal speed.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The little dance you do with your palico when you high five :3:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Oh that makes sense lol. I'll probably just do the village Arzuros hunt and clown on it until it falls asleep

Craft any low level HBG or LBG with access to sleep ammo, land 3-6 shots on his snout.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I think in past games monsters won't eat drugged meat if they see you putting it down, dunno if that's the case here.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Use literally any sleep status weapon

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Just capture it then take a picture, that counts

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyqfY5tsSMg
Over the last day or so, I started to figure that stake spam with Long Gunlance seemed to be superior to fullbursting for monsters with tight windows of opportunity. Nice to see that the speedrunners are on the same page. Its just a shame you can't use blast dash with this strategy.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Kilazar posted:

CB user's

What are the conditions for the super fast transitions? Sometimes my A+X > A+X > A+X is super fast, and sometimes it's normal speed.

I don't know

AttackTheMoon
Jul 4, 2015

MH Rise is the most fun I've had with MH in aaaaaaages. The wirebugs add so much to the game in every direction and it feels so good.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Is the only way to get Kamura tickets to do village quests?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Really happy I picked the bow. Or rather, I'm happy the bow picked me.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I wonder if Wirebugs and Switch Skills will carry over into the next entry. I think at the very least we will see some of these same concepts in a different form, like some of the style moves from generations being rolled over into the main move sets, or the movement aspects of the clutch claw/slinger being spun off into wirebugs.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Reiley posted:

Really happy I picked the bow. Or rather, I'm happy the bow picked me.

Reminds me of the Palico Switch Axe in 4U. I hope that is in this game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I will never get an Almudron plate and I should probably stop trying :negative:

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Giving up is the first step in the RNG giving you what you need

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Unlucky7 posted:

Reminds me of the Palico Switch Axe in 4U. I hope that is in this game.

Are you talking about the Grim Cat? Cause it is, I've seen my friend use it.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

mightygerm posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyqfY5tsSMg
Over the last day or so, I started to figure that stake spam with Long Gunlance seemed to be superior to fullbursting for monsters with tight windows of opportunity. Nice to see that the speedrunners are on the same page. Its just a shame you can't use blast dash with this strategy.

I got more comfortable giving up blast dash once I started to get a few points of Evade Distance. Even just one point makes a huge distance.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Ethiser posted:

Like a lot of the cool moves on this game, that is also basically just something from Generations.

yes, except this time i don't have to deliberately not use valor mode to use it.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for helping me understand weapon upgrades. My next question is pretty simple. What unlocks the tree further? Is it encountering new monsters/monster parts?

This is my first MH game and it caught me completely by surprise how much I’m hooked. Ended up taking 2 days off work this week. I needed some time off anyways.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Yeah, if you can't see what you can do next it's 100% because you need to progress further in the story and fight a new monster that has the stuff you need. They try not to overwhelm you with the full tree straight up I think.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
I do like charge shells, and fast wyrmstake owns, but the blast dash is too cool for me to give it up. It's hurting my damage output but I don't care.

SirBukkake
Aug 24, 2006
Idk some black dude
Quick question on progress—I wanted to take things slow and 100% all of LR/Village quests before going to HR. Should I just go straight to HR? I'm kinda worried that there isn't much to do in HR based on folks' criticisms of the endgame...

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I just beat the poo poo out of Arzuros until he hosed off and fell asleep. Thank you everyone. It unlocked a hammer that’s a giant teddy bear

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Serious question: do Almudron Plates even exist in LR/village? Kiranico says so but I've killed like a dozen Almudrons today and I haven't seen a hint of one.

I'm trying to make the Skalda S waist and I'm starting to wonder if I just need to progress far enough to fight HR Almudron to do it. It doesn't help that I really don't like fighting this stupid mud dragon.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 31, 2021

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Harrow posted:

Serious question: do Almudron Plates even exist in LR/village? Kiranico says so but I've killed like a dozen Almudrons today and I haven't seen a hint of one.

I'm trying to make the Skalda S waist and I'm starting to wonder if I just need to progress far enough to fight HR Almudron to do it.

Yes, plates are just super rare. The ingame drop list says they’re a 3% chance on carve, 1% chance on shiny drops.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Electric Phantasm posted:

Are you talking about the Grim Cat? Cause it is, I've seen my friend use it.

Yes I am! Thanks!

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

SirBukkake posted:

Quick question on progress—I wanted to take things slow and 100% all of LR/Village quests before going to HR. Should I just go straight to HR? I'm kinda worried that there isn't much to do in HR based on folks' criticisms of the endgame...

Take your time, IMO. I'm doing the same thing, finishing every quest and request before taking the Urgent to the next level.

You only get to play it for the first time once, I'm in no hurry to rush through it.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

SirBukkake posted:

Take your time if you want, but I personally like progressing since there's benefits for unlocking HR like melding and better options for buddy plaza stuff - and since all that stuff cashes out/progresses by completing quests, getting it unlocked sooner is better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heckyeahpathy
Jul 25, 2013

Impermanent posted:

objectively, it seems a lot less useful than the silk block it replaces. I don't really care, though!