Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

did anyone see the martyrs remake how bad was it

It wasn't aggressively terrible but it was just a watered down version of the original so it had no impact on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I finally watched Synchronic and I really loved it. I've just been mulling it over in my head for nearly 2 hours afterwards and picking up on new things and randomly bursting into tears. Its definitely not for everyone. Moorehead and Benson remain the Enemies of Horror they've long been. This is a story about friendship, brotherhood, love, and devotion that is hiding as a sci fi/horror movie. That part won't deliver for you if you go in watching for that reason. Its fun and weird but not the point at all. If you've seen M&B's stuff (Spring, RuthlessResolution, The Endless) or associate stuff (like The Battery and After Midnight) and like it this delivers.

Also just as The Endless is loosely connected to RuthlessResolution so is Synchronic loosely connected to them. You can see it alone and lose nothing but there's a fun little easter egg if you see them all.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Mar 31, 2021

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

I finally watched Synchronic and I really loved it. I've just been mulling it over in my head for nearly 2 hours afterwards and picking up on new things and randomly bursting into tears. Its definitely not for everyone. Moorehead and Benson remain the Enemies of Horror they've long been. This is a story about friendship, brotherhood, love, and devotion that is hiding as a sci fi/horror movie. That part won't deliver for you if you go in watching for that reason. Its fun and weird but not the point at all. If you've seen M&B's stuff (Spring, Ruthless, The Endless) or associate stuff (like The Battery and After Midnight) and like it this delivers.

Also just as The Endless is loosely connected to Ruthless so is Synchronic loosely connected to them. You can see it alone and lose nothing but there's a fun little easter egg if you see them all.

i'm very excited to see it! (also i think you mean Resolution, not Ruthless)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

alf_pogs posted:

i'm very excited to see it! (also i think you mean Resolution, not Ruthless)

Yeah, my bad. Brain all waterlogged.

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014

Alehkhs posted:

Speaking of creepy houses, The Night House is supposedly coming out this July, after premiering at Sundance 2020.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Tshycci2ZA&t=6s

Whoa this looks great. I was super disinterested in the first half of the trailer, glad I stuck with it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
The May Horror Challenge will go live April 30th.

:spooky:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

*immediately has an excuse to buy more movies with slightly less guilt*

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Franchescanado posted:

The May Horror Challenge will go live April 30th.

:spooky:

Awesome. Remind me, does the May challenge work exactly like the October challenge? Fran challenges, etc.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Spatulater bro! posted:

Awesome. Remind me, does the May challenge work exactly like the October challenge? Fran challenges, etc.

Yeah, pretty much! Just more of an emphasis on casual goals.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Sweet. I'm gonna annihilate the TSZDT list.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Spatulater bro! posted:

Sweet. I'm gonna annihilate the TSZDT list.

What's your percentage on that so far?

I'm at 526 out of 1000.

There are three in the top 100 I haven't seen: The Phantom of the Opera (1925), The Black Cat (1934) and The Others (2001).

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Franchescanado posted:

What's your percentage on that so far?

I'm at 526 out of 1000.

There are three in the top 100 I haven't seen: The Phantom of the Opera (1925), The Black Cat (1934) and The Others (2001).

I'm at 558 out of 1,000. I'm 100% for the top 100. I have 13 left in the top 250.

e: poo poo I lied. I'm at 99 of the top 100. I still need to see Onibaba. I skipped to page 2 thinking page 1 was cleared. I was thinking of the TSPDT list.

Spatulater bro! fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Mar 31, 2021

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think I'm gonna buy that 20 movie Hammer Horror blu ray set that came out a while back and go through some of it for the challenge.

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

I'm sorry if I'm spoiling everybody's good time.

STAC Goat posted:

I finally watched Synchronic and I really loved it. I've just been mulling it over in my head for nearly 2 hours afterwards and picking up on new things and randomly bursting into tears. Its definitely not for everyone. Moorehead and Benson remain the Enemies of Horror they've long been. This is a story about friendship, brotherhood, love, and devotion that is hiding as a sci fi/horror movie. That part won't deliver for you if you go in watching for that reason. Its fun and weird but not the point at all. If you've seen M&B's stuff (Spring, RuthlessResolution, The Endless) or associate stuff (like The Battery and After Midnight) and like it this delivers.

Also just as The Endless is loosely connected to RuthlessResolution so is Synchronic loosely connected to them. You can see it alone and lose nothing but there's a fun little easter egg if you see them all.

I was really hoping to love Synchronic because I really enjoyed Resolution and The Endless. For me, it just ended up feeling like watered down sci-fi mixed with watered down horror. The time/space travel conceit was neat, but the script almost seemed too in love with spelling out how it works. I could have maybe looked past that if it had been girded by better performances; Anthony Mackie seems like a good dude but I just didn't emotionally connect with him here, even despite the dog drama . Ultimately I think my anticipation and the fact that I watched it on a treadmill hurt its chances because like I said, I really like Moorehead and Benson's other work. I'll have to give it a rewatch at some point because there were certainly some things I did enjoy, like the opening scene stinger of THERE'S A DUDE IN THE WALL . Also, I either missed or forgot the easter eggs...

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I'll be using that TSZDT list to build a lot of my May Challenge too. I started working on it last spring when I really started watching a lot of horror movies again, and at that time I was around 175/1000. I'm currently at 408/1000 with three in the top 100 that I haven't seen (The Orphanage, Martyrs, and Cannibal Holocaust although I don't really plan on watching Cannibal Holocaust)

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Spatulater bro! posted:

I'm at 558 out of 1,000. I'm 100% for the top 100. I have 13 left in the top 250.

e: poo poo I lied. I'm at 99 of the top 100. I still need to see Onibaba. I skipped to page 2 thinking page 1 was cleared. I was thinking of the TSPDT list.

Onibaba rules, so you're in for a treat!

Basebf555 posted:

I think I'm gonna buy that 20 movie Hammer Horror blu ray set that came out a while back and go through some of it for the challenge.

That sounds like a fun project, and I'd love to know if I should buy that set or not. Still miffed about losing out on the too-good-to-be-true discount that got botched.

The Berzerker posted:

I'll be using that TSZDT list to build a lot of my May Challenge too. I started working on it last spring when I really started watching a lot of horror movies again, and at that time I was around 175/1000. I'm currently at 408/1000 with three in the top 100 that I haven't seen (The Orphanage, Martyrs, and Cannibal Holocaust although I don't really plan on watching Cannibal Holocaust)

There's an HD version of the film that cuts out the animal killings that should be pretty easy to find. I'd say it's worth at least one viewing if you can watch that cut.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

The Berzerker posted:

although I don't really plan on watching Cannibal Holocaust

Keep in mind there's a readily available "cruelty-free" version if it's the animal killing you're worried about.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

That sounds like a fun project, and I'd love to know if I should buy that set or not. Still miffed about losing out on the too-good-to-be-true discount that got botched.

I'm actually buying it just as much for the non-horror stuff, which I've always wanted to delve into a bit more when it comes to Hammer. The set has a Robin Hood film(with Cushing as the Sheriff of Nottingham, so yea...I gotta see that) and a few pirate movies and I feel like the Hammer style would be a great fit for that sort of thing.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
During the last challenge I chipped away at three top 100s: TSZDT, Edgar Wright’s favorite horror, and Slant magazine’s list. I finished the TSZDT top 100 (currently at 663/1000 for the full list) and am only shy on the other two by like 5 films, so those are gonna be my main goal.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Anisocoria Feldman posted:

I was really hoping to love Synchronic because I really enjoyed Resolution and The Endless. For me, it just ended up feeling like watered down sci-fi mixed with watered down horror. The time/space travel conceit was neat, but the script almost seemed too in love with spelling out how it works. I could have maybe looked past that if it had been girded by better performances; Anthony Mackie seems like a good dude but I just didn't emotionally connect with him here, even despite the dog drama . Ultimately I think my anticipation and the fact that I watched it on a treadmill hurt its chances because like I said, I really like Moorehead and Benson's other work. I'll have to give it a rewatch at some point because there were certainly some things I did enjoy, like the opening scene stinger of THERE'S A DUDE IN THE WALL . Also, I either missed or forgot the easter eggs...

The easter eggs are fairly small but basically a passing line about how the drug comes from a rare flower in California, where Endless and Resolution take place. The implication being that the time travel stuff here is basically caused by the same element that causes those time loops in those films. Its totally throwaway and not important, I just thought it was cute as a fan.

As for the film I think the heart of it is less in Mackie's individual character and more in the relationship between he and Jamie Dornan. Its effectively a story about two long time friends both going through their own personal hells and unable to connect with each other about it. The stresses threaten to break their devotion to each other. That's clearest in Mackie's story because he's the main character and he basically makes the choice to use what he has left of his life to save Dornan's family, even at the heartbreaking sacrifice of his dog. But I also think its told subtlety with Dornan.

There's this thing the movie does where in Act 1 they show us him and his wife asking their daughter not to stay out late and its tense and uncomfortable and we're kind of led to think they were fighting. And all through the movie we see Dornan complaining about his marriage to Mackie. but in the last act Dornan admits to Mackie that he was right that he was just being whiny and selfish about complaining about his marriage, we see a scene where he's very happy with his wife and child, and a the earlier part of that tense scene where he's telling his wife about a time Mackie was there for him when he should have been there for Mackie. So my interpretation of all of that was that Mackie's long been the emotional support for Dornan and throughout the film Dornan was torn because he thought Mackie was self destructing but didn't want to abandon him. My thinking is that that tense scene starts with Dornan telling his wife that he suspects Mackie is showing up for work wasted and stealing drugs, and she might have been pushing him to turn Mackie in or cut bait. And I'd guess that wasn't the first time they had that conversation as evidenced by some "jokes" in the first act party interactions. But Dornan tells that story to say why he can't turn his back on Mackie.

I dunno. Those are the kind of parts that really hit with me and had me thinking about them for awhile after the film. And maybe it just struck a chord about friendship and hardship with me. I've had relationships with people that felt uneven or tested me but there was an important link between us and something that made it important for me to be there for them as they had been there for me. Synchronic tells that story a little roundabout but it really connected with me.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Spatulater bro! posted:

Keep in mind there's a readily available "cruelty-free" version if it's the animal killing you're worried about.

Not sure where that is, but I know the version on Shudder is not that version. I did see someone post a guide online on when to fast forward or look away and for how long but it's still not a high priority movie for me.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It turns out I should have exactly 13 eliminated teams from Bracketology by May so I know what my Challenge theme is.

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

I'm sorry if I'm spoiling everybody's good time.

STAC Goat posted:

The easter eggs are fairly small but basically a passing line about how the drug comes from a rare flower in California, where Endless and Resolution take place. The implication being that the time travel stuff here is basically caused by the same element that causes those time loops in those films. Its totally throwaway and not important, I just thought it was cute as a fan.

Oh yeah! I totally spaced on that one but it is a neat callback.

As for the Mackie/Dornan relationship, I can totally see how your own experience enriched that aspect of the film. The whole emotional core of it hinges on the personal history between these two guys, and maybe upon rewatching it it'll click with me a little more, but the first time through I guess I needed another scene or two to flesh them out. I appreciate your thoughtful response and I'll keep it in mind when I check it out a second time.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
My spouse and I choose a theme for our movie-watching every month. Well, she chooses the theme. Then I curate a list of 15-30 films. Then we watch 3 of them.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

^^^ a solid system...

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

The Berzerker posted:

Not sure where that is, but I know the version on Shudder is not that version. I did see someone post a guide online on when to fast forward or look away and for how long but it's still not a high priority movie for me.

It's on the 25th Anniversary release of the DVD, not sure where it is online (if it is at all)

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Maybe "ready available" isn't quite accurate, but I know my Blu-ray (Grindhouse Releasing) has it. So I assume it's out there somewhere.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

thatfuturekid posted:

Whoa this looks great. I was super disinterested in the first half of the trailer, glad I stuck with it.

Well that was certainly an interesting turn in the second half.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Kvlt! posted:

Beaten = Piece of poo poo abusive parent growing up

Force Fed = Eating Disorder clinics when I was a teen

I'm so sorry to hear that Kvlt, I hope things a better for you now

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tarnop posted:

To me, The Shining feels so different to most haunted house films because of the way the haunting is shared by the occupants. There's never that moment where two or more people experience the same phenomenon together; instead, Jack and Danny experience very different encounters with ghosts which in turn affect their behaviours when they interact with the rest of the family. This lack of any unifying experience keeps the audience on the back foot, and makes it all the more effective when Jack turns to outright violence. It also plays to the theme of a family that can't communicate effectively because of a domineering and controlling patriarch.

The Shining isn't a haunted house film. It's a haunted people film.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

The Shining isn't a haunted house film. It's a haunted people film.

Speak on that. Cuz I rewatched it yesterday and I'm gonna initially disagree. Jack's already hosed up and the marriage is crumbling, but the Overlook is exacerbating that and capitalizing on that rift and making it wider. They didn't bring ghosts with them.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I have a hard time drawing much of a distinction between those two things in general for the whole subgenre. There's always a connection between trauma or tragedy, and the place where it happened. Like, human suffering or evil acts can stain a place in a spiritual sense to the point that it can never wash off even after decades. So that's a pretty standard thing in ghost/haunted house stories, there's almost always haunted humans at the core of it. So the ghosts were already there in the Overlook when Jack gets there, but those ghosts are there because of the things that the people did and had done to them there many years ago. So it always goes back to people and the things they do that create the haunting.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Alehkhs posted:

Speaking of creepy houses, The Night House is supposedly coming out this July, after premiering at Sundance 2020.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Tshycci2ZA&t=6s

:neckbeard: at that pillar/negative space gag

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I have a hard time drawing much of a distinction between those two things in general for the whole subgenre. There's always a connection between trauma or tragedy, and the place where it happened. Like, human suffering or evil acts can stain a place in a spiritual sense to the point that it can never wash off even after decades. So that's a pretty standard thing in ghost/haunted house stories, there's almost always haunted humans at the core of it.

Right. A film that's specifically haunted humans and not, like, a haunted place would be something closer to Drag Me To Hell, and that's a demon.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The only example that immediately comes to mind is Insidious, because they say it in the trailer.

Spatulater bro! posted:

^^^ a solid system...
Sooner or later we'll run out of Xena episodes, and then she will have to finally watch Sicario and Paris is Burning with me.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

The Overlook Hotel is a haunted house that utilizes the flaws of the people inside of it and controls them. So it's kinda both.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

(in the book at least) It's kind of the opposite; so much bad poo poo happens at the Overlook that it turns evil and half sentient. It's a house haunted by people

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Spatulater bro! posted:

The Overlook Hotel is a haunted house that utilizes the flaws of the people inside of it and controls them. So it's kinda both.

The only haunted house movie where I am 95% sure the haunting isn't real and it's all in the person's head is The Innocents and even that is kind of debatable, which is an aspect of the original story.

The Shining even gives enough evidence that The Overlook is collecting spirits to fulfill roles within itself. Grady was the caretaker, but now that he's been taken, he's a server for the guests instead. The Overlook likes Jack as the caretaker, so Jack's now always been the caretaker. If eventually another person came along that the Overlook liked, it may move Jack to a different position, or it may make them a different person. The Overlook seems to curate it's hauntings. That's why Stuart Ullman's probably always been safe, it has no interest in adding him to it's spiritual rogues gallery.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Retro Futurist posted:

(in the book at least) It's kind of the opposite; so much bad poo poo happens at the Overlook that it turns evil and half sentient. It's a house haunted by people

But didn't all the bad poo poo happen because the hotel was making it so? It's been a few years since I read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Spatulater bro! posted:

It's implied though(at least in the movie) that the ultimate source of the Overlook's power is the evil that was done to Native Americans who were buried there. So when you trace it back to the beginning it's still something that was caused by people committing atrocities against each other.