Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Anyone happen to know where I can find some paint that will match the flat (hammered?) black paint that was used on the rockers of stuff like early e34s? The paint is so old that I doubt I'll be able to spray the tiny section that could use some work without an awful mismatch, but it would be nice to find something durable and relatively stock-appearing even if I have to redo them completely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

televiper
Feb 12, 2007
Crossposting from the Craigslist thread, for y'all what don't read that.

televiper posted:

I came down from Seattle to check this one out and decided it was more of a project than I was looking for, but got-drat, one of you needs to buy it!

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ctd/d/2001-bmw-525it-touring-wagon-rare-5spd/7296640414.html

Here's the problems that I saw:

valve cover leaks

the Vanos cover was sealed with black silicon, and too much of it - some rubber gunk squirting out around the outside

rear feels bouncy on the highway - bushings may need replaced

failing vapor barrier on driver door and one of the rear passenger doors - a bit of water on the door sill after pouring water over the window, but not a ton of water, so probably not imminent risk of water ingress

rear window squirter inop

top brake light array out

the rubber surrounds missing door sill plates - where the rubber should be is only plastic teeth

moonroof inner semi-jammed from falling headliner

radio LCD display is all jacked up

driver door weather seal torn but looks serviceable

manual passenger seat stuck - doesn’t slide front/back

glovebox travel-stops..don’t

couldn’t test keyless entry - neither of the remote keys worked, but they could just need charging. I didn’t know about these keys having capacitors for power, so we broke one open in an attempt to replace the battery (oops)

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
So its a cleanish e39 wagon 5 speed for a not exorbitant price.

Expect 10k in deferred maintenance regardless.

Also lol if you want to DIY that rear end.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
just on principle, gently caress that seller in the eye for putting all that poo poo in the description

nobody needs to buy that car, it was slow and a bit dull at the the time and at min the VANOS cover poo poo means that the PO was somewhere between careless and an active idiot

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Yeah.

Good candidate for a M5 clone or LS swap but do not trust that m54.

televiper
Feb 12, 2007
yeah, I got a little overexcited because I thought there were no manual e39 wagons brought to the US, but that was mistaken.

The bouncy rear and the potential for the silicon seal ruining the engine were the main reasons I skated on it. If the engine needs replacing, doing a manual-swap on an actually-clean auto-wagon wouldn’t be a world of difference.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
someone call Wheeler Dealers

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Hello BMW Thread. My M3 is home and healthy and I will get the front bumper resprayed as soon as the weather is reasonable but that is not what this post is for.

My wife and I are getting the car itch a little bit. She has wanted an X5 since basically forever and I have casually started looking at pre-owned models (2017+). I am looking at X-drive 35i variants. It seems these are still using the N55 but apparently they too have potential rod bearing problems? I seem to find them for a pretty reasonable price range with low miles, 20-30K miles typically. How common is the rod bearing failure in these things? My guess is it is probably people that just get in their cars and throttle the bejezuz out of them immediately before things are up to temps. I am going to go test drive some as a litmus test, it might end up being wait another year or two of waiting and going for a model with the newer B58. Is there anything glaring to watch for?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
They use the same rod bearings as the S55 but they're stressed far less, it's not a problem I've ever really heard of being widespread

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

I've never heard of rod bearing issues on the N55. The most common issues are water pump, oil cooler leaks, and head gasket leaks. I also started to get a misfire at around 50k miles. It was a coil, and you can pick those up for ~$26 now compared to the $150 they used to be so it's not a big deal.

My water pump started dying at around 58k miles. Had the oil cooler fixed at that time as well. Car is going in next month to get a small head gasket leak taken care of at 62k miles. Other things to look for are LCABs and wheel bearings as their heavier cars chew them up.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Crunchy Black posted:

Yeah.

Good candidate for a M5 clone or LS swap but do not trust that m54.

What about this M54? :v:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
CCV, valve cover seal, intake boots, and GDCS otherwise bulletproof

The usual giubo, driveshaft center support bearing, and bushings for the chassis.

Interior will be falling headliner and the ac blower final stage resistor

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
After 13 years of ownership (which lines up really closely with the life of the thread) as of this morning I no longer have any superior German plastics or adhesives in my driveway :(

https://i.imgur.com/ajcRjBn.mp4

It'll be at the pull-a-part in Akron if anyone around the area is looking for parts. I kept the aftermarket tail lights and might use them as a garage decoration.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

F

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Pouring out 1.183l of blue coolant

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Do we have any bmw thread goons that have friends in salvage yards or something? I need an ABS module from an 03-06 M3.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Gonna look at that 330xi after work today. I am not a smart man.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

Do we have any bmw thread goons that have friends in salvage yards or something? I need an ABS module from an 03-06 M3.

Is the part M3 specific? There are few e46s in local yards, and weather permitting, I might be heading out this weekend.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Yeah, and year specific. The part number would be 34512282558 or 34512282421.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Looked at that car and I'm interested. Dude said he'd be fine with a PPI so I'm gonna think a bit and then maybe get one set up. It needs new tires for sure, he said he'd be more than willing to take $5k which makes it more appealing.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Ether Frenzy posted:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2011-bmw-m3-129/
is kind of making me want to get some black wheels/kidneys/fender vents...
and
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2002-bmw-m3-173/
is kind of making me want to buy an E46 while they're still "cheap"...

These went for $52k and $61k respectively just for the ongoing record about which M3s aren't desirable going forward

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Went to pull the M5 out of storage yesterday and the battery is dead dead despite being on a charger. Also have a flat tire that's probably due to a slow leak of some kind, which was an almost brand new PS4S. Goddamnit.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

F

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
To say I am angry and feel a little betrayed is an understatement. A certain well-known BMW wrecker/parts dealer in the southeast (who I've personally known for 15+ years) sold me what was supposed to be a 6 cylinder 5 lug conversion. Yeah, uh, that ain't it.

Nuked the Condor bushings trying to get it in, and I'll have to source the proper trailing arms or send the diff back to Dave Green at Syncro to have the output flanges changed, and then I'll have the inferior CVs. WTF

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
The CocoMats I ordered arrived and they are very nice and heavy.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Crunchy Black posted:

To say I am angry and feel a little betrayed is an understatement. A certain well-known BMW wrecker/parts dealer in the southeast (who I've personally known for 15+ years) sold me what was supposed to be a 6 cylinder 5 lug conversion. Yeah, uh, that ain't it.

Nuked the Condor bushings trying to get it in, and I'll have to source the proper trailing arms or send the diff back to Dave Green at Syncro to have the output flanges changed, and then I'll have the inferior CVs. WTF

Did you contact the supplier?

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
I will be but it’s a slightly more delicate personal situation than “I bought something off of some guy”

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Keyser_Soze posted:

The CocoMats I ordered arrived and they are very nice and heavy.

Those look pretty good!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
The guy with the 330xi is down to $4500 :ohdear: . It's so tempting.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

fknlo posted:

The guy with the 330xi is down to $4500 :ohdear: . It's so tempting.

Not bad for $10-12k

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Does anyone have advice on using the back seat of a 7 series as a home office

All the marketing photos for the 7 series show these cool Airline style fold down trays etc but I don't think you can easily retrofit that stuff, especially the rear center console things

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Hadlock posted:

All the marketing photos for the 7 series show these cool Airline style fold down trays etc but I don't think you can easily retrofit that stuff, especially the rear center console things

What year?

Seems people have tried to do retrofits - https://www.bimmerfest.com/threads/bmw-750li-rear-folding-trays.699290/

I didn't read far but it looks like many thousands of dollars

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

BMW Thread: I didn't read far but it looks like many thousands of dollars

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Hadlock posted:

Whats the context here? Is this something you're getting driven around in?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
If it's a home office, it doesn't have to run, too bad the interior poo poo is way more likely to break than the drivetrain

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
As the OP of the current thread title, I am quite surprised how long it's stuck around with pretty much every other thread I follow in AI getting a rename.

That said, this is a great one.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I like this and feel like it has staying power.

Unlike the cooling systems of the cars you guys like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Residency Evil posted:

Unlike the cooling systems of the cars you guys like.

We're aware but the point of suggested new thread title applies here as well