Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

I wonder if Wirebugs and Switch Skills will carry over into the next entry. I think at the very least we will see some of these same concepts in a different form, like some of the style moves from generations being rolled over into the main move sets, or the movement aspects of the clutch claw/slinger being spun off into wirebugs.
Probably not the next game, the A games very rarely ever pull features from the B games. The next Ichinose game though, probably in some form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I enjoy progressing until I feel comfortable and then going back to checkmark older stuff when I'm in a point of needing raw money or trade stuff or subquests that would take time regardless of what I'm doing.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

homeless snail posted:

Probably not the next game, the A games very rarely ever pull features from the B games. The next Ichinose game though, probably in some form.

When the next one comes out I'm gonna get to be the grognard who's mad that features from a previous game aren't returning, just shaking my fist about switch skills and wirebugs

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I'm mostly progressing through Village but leveling Hub up when I feel like doing some multi and taking some time to do side stuff here and there. This is the first MH game I've really put time into besides a few hours of World so I'm trying to enjoy my time getting to know the gameplay loop.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I'm not sure I like monster riding, it's very cool but feels kind of cheap, I just get a ton of free damage on another monster with no risk or downside? And it controls kind of gimmicky, like it should be used in special boss fights only.

From a gamefeel perspective I do think it's more engaging than previous forms of mounting, which felt like a pause in the action while I did some quicktime events.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Snake Maze posted:

Yes, plates are just super rare. The ingame drop list says they’re a 3% chance on carve, 1% chance on shiny drops.

So is it totally worth the time to hop onto every monster on the map and make them hit each other for the guaranteed shinies? I'm doing it anyway since it's fun now that I've gotten the hang of it.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Diephoon posted:

So is it totally worth the time to hop onto every monster on the map and make them hit each other for the guaranteed shinies? I'm doing it anyway since it's fun now that I've gotten the hang of it.

Yeah.

I mean technically you’d have to calculate how much extra time the rides are taking you and if the extra shiny drops outweigh the extra hunt you could squeeze in if you’re speedrunning, but ignoring the time aspect more shiny drops = more chances at a plate. Tail carves give a shot at one too, if you can cut it off.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Harrow posted:

When the next one comes out I'm gonna get to be the grognard who's mad that features from a previous game aren't returning, just shaking my fist about switch skills and wirebugs
The one guy that loaded up portable 3rd and was pissed that they took out swimming

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

What's a good way to get a monster to sleep. Komitsu gave me a quest to take a picture of a sleeping Arzuros, I tried tossing down some drugged meat but it wouldn't take it

Tag him with a sleeptoad.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Do we know what the (minor lategame armor skill spoiler) Wind Alignment skill does? It just says it grants the effect Fortunate at level 5. Since the other four levels only give a tiny amount of Dragon Resist I suppose that is the main benefit of the skill.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

So far I've just been beelining for the monster and hitting it until it dies (or sometimes capturing it), but what's a good way to start taking advantage of consumables/endemic life to optimize combat? I'm enjoying the basic gameplay loop, but it doesn't really feel like prepping for and hunting a target

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

homeless snail posted:

I'd be amazed if they don't bring palamutes forward at the least given it's an evolution of a Iceborne feature. (and also dogs are popular.)

Like the other poster said, wirebug is kind of also an evolution of the slinger and claw stuff, but I could see them toning it down or stripping it back.

I wonder how much would also just shake out based on reception and sales.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

wirebug evade just feels totally broken to me

granted it has no invuln so it's potentially dangerous in high rank against fast rapid attacking monsters, but in general it trivializes a ton of basic monster patterns

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I would rather have like a baby zinogre to ride than a dog, I hope they make it happen with the MH Stories crossovers that they teased

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

victrix posted:

granted it has no invuln so it's potentially dangerous in high rank against fast rapid attacking monsters, but in general it trivializes a ton of basic monster patterns

I have absolutely gotten killed trying to Wirefall

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I think Wirefall has gotten me killed more than its saved me.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I liked wirefall because it makes recovery easier but it's not a guaranteed get away free button

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Yeah I wirefall'd right into Magnamalo's Chaos Dunk once. It's fine, if you're saving bugs for Wirefall you're not using the extremely powerful 2 bug moves as often (or you went out of your way to pickup a 3rd bug).

Oxyclean posted:

I'd be amazed if they don't bring palamutes forward at the least given it's an evolution of a Iceborne feature. (and also dogs are popular.)

Like the other poster said, wirebug is kind of also an evolution of the slinger and claw stuff, but I could see them toning it down or stripping it back.

It just doesn't happen though. People were saying the same things about Generations features. "No way Hunter Arts/Hunting Styles/playing as a Palico don't make it in some form into the next entry". We know how that turned out.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

404notfound posted:

So far I've just been beelining for the monster and hitting it until it dies (or sometimes capturing it), but what's a good way to start taking advantage of consumables/endemic life to optimize combat? I'm enjoying the basic gameplay loop, but it doesn't really feel like prepping for and hunting a target

Learning the maps so you know good routes to take that get you spiritbirds and maybe a couple blight animals is a good start. I wouldn't go overboard though, like still head towards the monster and just make little diversions to grab things. For consumables might and adamant seeds/powder/drink are worth using, as are traps when you actually use them in the fight instead of just for capturing.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’ve wirefall right into almudron boulder hit and rajang kamehameha so yeah it’s mostly good but it can also get you killed just as easy. Stuff like narga or Zin where they have constant follow-ups it’s hard to wirefall away from them without eating an additional hit if they’re right on you.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Ojetor posted:

It just doesn't happen though. People were saying the same things about Generations features. "No way Hunter Arts/Hunting Styles/playing as a Palico don't make it in some form into the next entry". We know how that turned out.
I mean, I guess, but how often were those features just like, a polished version of something from the previous mainline game? Like, with World and now Rise, the series has seen a -massive- uptick in popularity, I would be surprised if that doesn't impact how they consider moving forward.

My hot take is I'd be seriously be surprised to see them drop palamutes.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

I mean this is the series where the two teams have fought over trivial poo poo like how weapon stats are displayed, for 20 years. Styles were pretty popular but you won't be seeing those in the main games. Palamutes, maybe I could see

victrix posted:

Yeah like honestly I'd rather it not become a core part of monster hunter, it's a fun mechanic to gently caress around with but it does dramatically change the nature of this game. To the point that the big elder dragon is a bullet hell platformer where you're just straight up required to fly around the level to clear. Cool idea but it's a novelty that I'm going to be sick of by the time the next one comes out, like arts and styles

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

404notfound posted:

Typically at the start of a hunt I have a quick route I run to collect some spiritbirds and snag whatever endemic life I find. Typically I lead in with them when I first see the monster or when I catch up to them after they flee an area. I don't really go far out of the way and I'm always heading in the monster's general direction - if I get to them late it's by like 30 seconds compared to the other players.

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

Impermanent posted:

very excited for all the new CB mains to unlock the final CB switch skill :getin:

I just got it — am I to believe I have to choose between my sick new aerial move or my handy dandy phial charging superblock? :smith:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

World 2 won’t have palamutes but will bring back Wulg mounts.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I think overall I prefer the feel and style of world over rise, much as I think rise is a blast to play

My opinion may change come g rank expansion, we'll see

Mechanics aside Rise has a jamming selection of mons

.... except jyura wtf

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I don’t see how they could do the wire bugs the same with the map traversal abilities if they made maps as detailed as World’s. A lot of flat featureless walls would really stand out in that art style.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

404notfound posted:

Honestly this one is the game that has the least amount of prep. But there's always stuff that pays off like knowing if monsters use status effects and whether to should bring antidotes or nulberries or cleanser or whatever. Knowing when monsters are vulnerable to flash bombs or sonic bombs can massively mitigate parts of fights. All the endemics that inflict blights are super useful. There's stuff like bombs and tainted/drugged meat that have been useful in the past but the with faster pace of this one I haven't seen many opportunities to use them.

+ just super basic maintenance stuff of making sure you keep on top of all the potions and energy drinks and drugs and powders, and wearing whatever gear makes your hunts go faster. You don't have to do it, but it's the difference between 15 minute hunts and 5 minute ones

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Firebert posted:

I would rather have like a baby zinogre to ride than a dog, I hope they make it happen with the MH Stories crossovers that they teased

this ffs

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Giving up is the first step in the RNG giving you what you need

nah that's step 2

step 1 is complaining on the internet about your piss luck. works more often than it should

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Alxprit posted:

I have absolutely gotten killed trying to Wirefall

every monster that does a sweeping attack in two parts, be it their tail, head or something else, punishes the poo poo out of me for being too happy on the wirefall button

drat you basarios :arghfist::(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

:justpost: triple post combo :justpost:

MMF Freeway posted:

Learning the maps so you know good routes to take that get you spiritbirds and maybe a couple blight animals is a good start. I wouldn't go overboard though, like still head towards the monster and just make little diversions to grab things. For consumables might and adamant seeds/powder/drink are worth using, as are traps when you actually use them in the fight instead of just for capturing.

isn't one of seeds/powder/drank like a 1% difference or am I thinking of some other consumable?

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Now that it has been a few days, any consensus on best palamute abilities and gear? I have been running the default steel fang along with the umbrella which seems pretty good.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm stuck in this awful loop where I've now sunk enough time into trying to get this one stupid monster part that I absolutely refuse to move on and just not have the armor piece I want, but I'm also not having any fun and I'm just getting really angry. At this point I'd rather grind up 100 of any other monster's parts and trade them for a plate if I could.

I know the answer is "just move on and accept you're not going to get the belt you want to make" but my brain won't allow that right now.

Really doesn't help that I really don't like fighting this monster one bit. I have zero nice things to say about Almudron.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(
Has anyone else seen a bug where the circle aiming reticle will pop up when riding a palamute? I can't reproduce it consistently but it's pretty annoying when I have gyro aiming controls turned on.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Harrow posted:

I'm stuck in this awful loop where I've now sunk enough time into trying to get this one stupid monster part that I absolutely refuse to move on and just not have the armor piece I want, but I'm also not having any fun and I'm just getting really angry. At this point I'd rather grind up 100 of any other monster's parts and trade them for a plate if I could.

I know the answer is "just move on and accept you're not going to get the belt you want to make" but my brain won't allow that right now.

Really doesn't help that I really don't like fighting this monster one bit. I have zero nice things to say about Almudron.

yeah i haven't gone back to fight them since my first go in lr, they suck

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

The reticle comes up when you've got something that can be aimed in your current item slot, like flash bombs or some endemic life

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Ciaphas posted:

:justpost: triple post combo :justpost:

isn't one of seeds/powder/drank like a 1% difference or am I thinking of some other consumable?

Demondrug only gives 5 attack, which is small, but it lasts until you die and it stacks with the seed and powder that give 10 each. 25 attack is pretty sizeable especially with just HR weapon values

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

SirBukkake posted:

Quick question on progress—I wanted to take things slow and 100% all of LR/Village quests before going to HR. Should I just go straight to HR? I'm kinda worried that there isn't much to do in HR based on folks' criticisms of the endgame...

There's a shitload of stuff to do, don't listen to the haters. It will take you over a hundred hours to unlock everything, let alone craft everything you want to craft or the hundreds of hours you could spend on top chasing the dragon of the Perfect Set, and by then, Capcom will have added more stuff anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Pockyless posted:

Has anyone else seen a bug where the circle aiming reticle will pop up when riding a palamute? I can't reproduce it consistently but it's pretty annoying when I have gyro aiming controls turned on.

Not a bug, it’s because you have something active in your item bar that can be thrown while riding.