Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

orange juche posted:

How old is your PSU and what was your PSU?

Just checked, its an Enermax modu 87+, 500W. I think it was one of the first gold rated ones on the market. It has an 8 pin connector but I don't see a 4pin one unless its modular and not connected. Gonna have to dig through the basement to check, but I'm starting to doubt it. The higher wattage ones apparently have 8pin and 4+4pin according to old reviews I found.

Ika fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

is there a go-to recommendation for the most inexpensive computer able to run photoshop & some ancient recipe software?

i assume scouting lenovo outlet for a discounted laptop would be the play, but i wanted to check that there wasn't some convenient prebuilt desktop option, since the person asking for this has a nice tablet already for travel etc. they're being kinda cagey with the budget, but i imagine around 400-500usd would be fine.

_jink fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 30, 2021

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

_jink posted:

is there a go-to recommendation for the most inexpensive computer able to run photoshop & some ancient recipe software?

i assume scouting lenovo outlet for a discounted laptop would be the play, but i wanted to check that there wasn't some convenient prebuilt desktop option, since the person asking for this has a nice tablet already for travel etc. they're being kinda cagey with the budget, but i imagine around 400-500usd would be fine.

I'm not that familiar with prebuilts so I don't have a recommendation there, but for these kinds of computers hitting up craigslist or liquidation sales for used office PC's can be a good way to pick up a decent computer for next to nothing.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

MF_James posted:

Rough budget is ~$1100, this is what I came up with for an initial pass, just kinda threw stuff on there to start with; I have a full ATX case that I will be installing into.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor ($449.00 @ Best Buy)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55 CFM CPU Cooler ($69.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard ($309.70 @ MemoryC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($93.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($93.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1146.62
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-03-30 15:47 EDT-0400

The Scythe Fuma 2 is a better and cheaper cooler option. You don't need a $300 x570 motherboard, a b550 is plenty enough. Try to get a 32GB kit of 3600 CL16 RAM, it should be cheaper and faster. If you do decide to get an NVMe get the WD SN550.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

TheFluff posted:

I'm not that familiar with prebuilts so I don't have a recommendation there, but for these kinds of computers hitting up craigslist or liquidation sales for used office PC's can be a good way to pick up a decent computer for next to nothing.

This, plus eBay

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Hello! The TLDR is after trying out 2 brand new sets of speakers I’ve realized that the Aux port of my 7 year old PC is hosed up, and I am interested in replacing the motherboard because I really need clear sound on my computer for music and gaming.

I am not PC savvy, I barely built this machine 7 years ago when I was way more in touch. How can I determine what MoBo is going to fit in my case and support my set up? Here is my specs

And here is my gross pc

Sorry if this post is in the wrong place I’ll move it or delete. I’m just looking for tips on where to look or what to buy, budget isn’t really a concern I just want it to work and for my speakers to sound good.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
I think a 7 year old PC requiring a new mobo is going to result in this thread recommending you build a new one, and asking you to set a budget for that. This is because: 1. modern motherboards will not be compatible with your CPU and memory, 2. both of those things have improved dramatically in the last 7 years, as have cases and storage, and 3. it's probably good to replace your PSU too at this point, to be on the safe side.

You'll want to keep your GPU for now because the market for them is all hosed up, but you'll be OK with the old one for now if you were already OK with it.

So yeah, what's your budget for a new computer minus GPU?

Edit: you may be able to salvage your CPU cooler (depending on what it is) and your case fans, too, if you give them a cleaning. Honestly you can reuse the case too, and just replace the CPU/mobo/memory/PSU, but new cases are nicer. It'll depend on your budget.

Scythe fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 31, 2021

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Hello! The TLDR is after trying out 2 brand new sets of speakers I’ve realized that the Aux port of my 7 year old PC is hosed up, and I am interested in replacing the motherboard because I really need clear sound on my computer for music and gaming.

I am not PC savvy, I barely built this machine 7 years ago when I was way more in touch. How can I determine what MoBo is going to fit in my case and support my set up? Here is my specs

And here is my gross pc

Sorry if this post is in the wrong place I’ll move it or delete. I’m just looking for tips on where to look or what to buy, budget isn’t really a concern I just want it to work and for my speakers to sound good.

Gross.

For real though, don’t build a new machine if you aren’t ready. You’re at the point where you need a full rebuild, and buying a board to support the old stuff is a pure money waste. And if you’re not ready the longer you wait the better the PC you build will be (insane stock issues aside).

Buy a $30 (or $50? I dunno I haven’t bought a sound card since like 2003) PCI sound card and live your glorious sounding life.

Or a USB one, but the PCI ones tend to be better.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Gross.

For real though, don’t build a new machine if you aren’t ready. You’re at the point where you need a full rebuild, and buying a board to support the old stuff is a pure money waste. And if you’re not ready the longer you wait the better the PC you build will be (insane stock issues aside).

Buy a $30 (or $50? I dunno I haven’t bought a sound card since like 2003) PCI sound card and live your glorious sounding life.

Yeah this is a good option too, definitely go this route if everything else is fine and you don't want to think about it.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Ika posted:

Just checked, its an Enermax modu 87+, 500W. I think it was one of the first gold rated ones on the market. It has an 8 pin connector but I don't see a 4pin one unless its modular and not connected. Gonna have to dig through the basement to check, but I'm starting to doubt it. The higher wattage ones apparently have 8pin and 4+4pin according to old reviews I found.

If it's out of warranty or you're questionable on how close it is to the warranty date, replace it. PSUs are one of the most invasive parts to replace in a computer, you don't want to have to rip it out in 6 months to a year because it's out of warranty and might pop a capacitor and take your new parts with it.

Gamers Nexus reviewed the Intel Core i5-11600k today and said that it is a decent value buy, if you can get it for its MSRP (USD$270), since there's about a 70 dollar gap between it and the Ryzen 5 5600X. The 5600X is a better performing CPU in almost all benchmarks (only losing out in the Red Dead Redemption 2 benchmark), but it also costs more, and the 11600k when overclocked to 5ghz on all cores pulls even with the Ryzen 5 5600X at stock clocks.

basically the 11600k is going to be hot, and thirsty, but if you want to save money it's worth considering. The i7-11700k is worthless and a waste of sand at its price point, and the i9-11900k is a hot, loud waste of sand, that loses out to the Ryzen 7 and Ryzen 9 chips in performance, and doesn't run stable at stock clocks under stress testing.

Christ, Anandtech ripped the poo poo out of the rocket lake platform from what I'm reading, the only way Intel is competitive is potentially on price for the 11600k, and only if your only interest is value gaming, otherwise Rocket Lake is hot, loud, and kind of a waste, it's Netburst, baby!. If you can afford to get a 5600X based PC, go for it.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Mar 31, 2021

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice

You must replace the ram as well.

If I were you, I’d probably try overclocking the CPU if your temps can handle it, and save for a full rebuild outside of the 1080 and the SSDs (PSU may be wattage appropriate but is too risky in a new build at that age).

Unfortunate.

So something like this?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory x2
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply

Parts picker has the following complaints:

Warning!Some AMD X570 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Vermeer CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions.

Note:The Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard has an additional 4-pin ATX power connector but the Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply does not. This connector is used to supply additional 12V current to the motherboard. While the system will likely still run without it, higher current demands such as extreme overclocking or large video card current draws may require it.

Note:Some physical dimension restrictions cannot (yet) be automatically checked, such as cpu cooler / RAM clearance with modules using tall heat spreaders.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

orange juche posted:

If it's out of warranty or you're questionable on how close it is to the warranty date, replace it. PSUs are one of the most invasive parts to replace in a computer, you don't want to have to rip it out in 6 months to a year because it's out of warranty and might pop a capacitor and take your new parts with it.

Gamers Nexus reviewed the Intel Core i5-11600k today and said that it is a decent value buy, if you can get it for its MSRP (USD$270), since there's about a 70 dollar gap between it and the Ryzen 5 5600X. The 5600X is a better performing CPU in almost all benchmarks (only losing out in the Red Dead Redemption 2 benchmark), but it also costs more, and the 11600k when overclocked to 5ghz on all cores pulls even with the Ryzen 5 5600X at stock clocks.

basically the 11600k is going to be hot, and thirsty, but if you want to save money it's worth considering. The i7-11700k is worthless and a waste of sand at its price point, and the i9-11900k is a hot, loud waste of sand, that loses out to the Ryzen 7 and Ryzen 9 chips in performance, and doesn't run stable at stock clocks under stress testing.

Christ, Anandtech ripped the poo poo out of the rocket lake platform from what I'm reading, the only way Intel is competitive is potentially on price for the 11600k, and only if your only interest is value gaming, otherwise Rocket Lake is hot, loud, and kind of a waste, it's Netburst, baby!. If you can afford to get a 5600X based PC, go for it.

Lol.

It’s like AMD and intel swapped places from 10 years ago

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

njsykora posted:

You could also just get a Raspberry Pi and hook it up to your TV, I use that for Legally Questionable Streams and it works great.
This is interesting for that exact use case.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Bust Rodd posted:

Oh hey we have the same case. Your NZXT S340 will fit a ITX, microATX, or ATX motherboard - which is pretty much anything you can throw at it.

That being said, if you're happy with your machine other than the non-working port, the better fix is to figure out a new sound card. Building and buying right now is...obnoxious, at least if you want to replace your GPU.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Lol.

It’s like AMD and intel swapped places from 10 years ago

Bulldozer was betting on the wrong horse (CMT vs SMT)

Rocket Lake is cramming a 300w CPU onto a consumer motherboard and calling it good

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16495/intel-rocket-lake-14nm-review-11900k-11700k-11600k/5

Granted it's an AVX-512 workload, but loving lmao at 104c package temps under a 1.8kg fully copper air cooler, and still sustaining 104c package temps, at stock configurations.

quote:

Thermal Hotspots
Given that Rocket Lake seems to peak at 104ºC, and here’s where we get into a discussion about thermal hotspots.

There are a number of ways to report CPU temperature. We can either take the instantaneous value of a singular spot of the silicon while it’s currently going through a high-current density event, like compute, or we can consider the CPU as a whole with all of its thermal sensors. While the overall CPU might accept operating temperatures of 105ºC, individual elements of the core might actually reach 125ºC instantaneously. So what is the correct value, and what is safe?

The cooler we’re using on this test is arguably the best air cooling on the market – a 1.8 kilogram full copper ThermalRight Ultra Extreme, paired with a 170 CFM high static pressure fan from Silverstone. This cooler has been used for Intel’s 10-core and 18-core high-end desktop variants over the years, even the ones with AVX-512, and not skipped a beat. Because we’re seeing 104ºC here, are we failing in some way?

Another issue we’re coming across with new processor technology is the ability to effectively cool a processor. I’m not talking about cooling the processor as a whole, but more for those hot spots of intense current density. We are going to get to a point where can’t remove the thermal energy fast enough, or with this design, we might be there already.

I will point out an interesting fact down this line of thinking though, which might go un-noticed by the rest of the press – Intel has reduced the total vertical height of the new Rocket Lake processors.

The z-height, or total vertical height, of the previous Comet Lake generation was 4.48-4.54 mm. This number was taken from a range of 7 CPUs I had to hand. However, this Rocket Lake processor is over 0.1 mm smaller, at 4.36 mm. The smaller height of the package plus heatspreader could be a small indicator to the required thermal performance, especially if the airgap (filled with solder) between the die and the heatspreader is smaller. If it aids cooling and doesn’t disturb how coolers fit, then great, however at some point in the future we might have to consider different, better, or more efficient ways to remove these thermal hotspots.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Mar 31, 2021

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Gross.

Scythe posted:

Yeah this is a good option too, definitely go this route if everything else is fine and you don't want to think about it.

Thanks this is very helpful! I’ll order the sound card tonight! I really like my case and would probably recycle that, but I’ll start looking at upgrades.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

I ride bikes all day posted:

Unfortunate.

So something like this?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory x2
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply

Parts picker has the following complaints:

Warning!Some AMD X570 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Vermeer CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions.

Note:The Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard has an additional 4-pin ATX power connector but the Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply does not. This connector is used to supply additional 12V current to the motherboard. While the system will likely still run without it, higher current demands such as extreme overclocking or large video card current draws may require it.

Note:Some physical dimension restrictions cannot (yet) be automatically checked, such as cpu cooler / RAM clearance with modules using tall heat spreaders.

I would go for the B550 version of that motherboard. Chances are you don’t need the X570 and the B550 variant has flashable bios via USB

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

lol GN Core i9-11900k review is out, and if you thought 11700k was bad, woof

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxiuvQPL_qs

Intel is loving worthless. Just loving wow.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Mar 31, 2021

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

orange juche posted:

PSU is from 2010? 2011? but I'm not worried about it blowing, went for top of the line back then in order to keep it for ages. Replacing it is quick job, compared to mobo or CPU.

I can't decide what to go with. After the initial leaks of +15% IPC in the fall I wanted to go with intel, but it looks like its a disappointment, and 10nm parts with DDR4 support may come around EOY. Would like to wait on those, but can't really wait another year to replace my CPU. I may just go with a 5800X and B550 board, I do not want a X570 due to active cooling. However 5800X is 450 euros, 5900X is 700, all the parts stores are price gouging. Or see about picking up a used 9700K or 10700K. Even the i9 10900K is cheaper than the 5800X.

Ika fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Mar 31, 2021

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ika posted:

PSU is from 2010? 2011? but I'm not worried about it blowing, went for top of the line back then in order to keep it for ages. Replacing it is quick job, compared to mobo or CPU.

I can replace a CPU in like... ten minutes. Fifteen if there’s a AIO watercooler in the way. And that ten minutes includes making a cup of coffee first. A PSU is way, way more of a job and ten years is well past the point I would gamble with.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Ika posted:

I can't decide what to go with. After the initial leaks of +15% IPC in the fall I wanted to go with intel, but it looks like its a disappointment, and 10nm parts with DDR4 support may come around EOY. Would like to wait on those, but can't really wait another year to replace my CPU. I may just go with a 5800X and B550 board, I do not want a X570 due to active cooling. However 5800X is 450 euros, 5900X is 700, all the parts stores are price gouging. Or see about picking up a used 9700K or 10700K. Even the i9 10900K is cheaper than the 5800X.

If your workload is gaming, get the 5600x (or the i5-11600K, it is the only compelling cpu in rocket lake, and perfectly viable vs the 5600x if you overclock it). The IPC increases and other improvements between zen 2 and zen 3 negate the 2 missing cores and then some.

If your workload involves something more parallelized, then yeah that's a different tale.

Also, if it needs to be said, do not reuse modular cables from an old psu on a new one! that way lies very real danger to your components and potentially your personal safety if you cause a bad enough short. Modular PSU cables are made for very specific power supplies and can cause fires or other damage due to providing power to pins that shouldn't be receiving power, even within the same manufacturer.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Mar 31, 2021

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I can replace a CPU in like... ten minutes. Fifteen if there’s a AIO watercooler in the way. And that ten minutes includes making a cup of coffee first. A PSU is way, way more of a job and ten years is well past the point I would gamble with.

To be fair its a custom loop and routing is a bit restrictive.

orange juche posted:

If your workload is gaming, get the 5600x (or the i5-11600K, it is the only compelling cpu in rocket lake, and perfectly viable vs the 5600x if you overclock it). The IPC increases and other improvements between zen 2 and zen 3 negate the 2 missing cores and then some.

If your workload involves something more parallelized, then yeah that's a different tale.

Also, if it needs to be said, do not reuse modular cables from an old psu on a new one! that way lies very real danger to your components and potentially your personal safety if you cause a bad enough short. Modular PSU cables are made for very specific power supplies and can cause fires or other damage due to providing power to pins that shouldn't be receiving power, even within the same manufacturer.

My 4790K is fine for the games I still play, but rendering previews during photo editing is really costing a bunch of seconds here and there that add up to >25% of my time. Too many megapixels. Gonna lock the software to 1 core / 2 core / 4 cores to see how well it is parallelized tonight to see if many cores are worthwhile, I am fairly sure its tiled out and uses all of em.

I am aware, but thanks for mentioning it. Such a shame there isn't a standard.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

orange juche posted:

While I did not expect the 11900K to be a good idea for anyone whatsoever, having multiple review units be unstable at stock clocks was a bit of a surprise.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Is there a difference between Asus TUF/Rog/Strix other than fifty bucks?

e: tell me why I'm dumb thanks

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor (€472.95 @ Komplett)
CPU Cooler: Scythe FUMA 2 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler (€86.96 @ Custompc)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard (€232.89 @ Custompc)
Memory: *Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (€329.70 @ Custompc)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 780 3 GB DirectCU II Video Card
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€149.85 @ Komplett)
Total: €1272.35
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-03-31 18:33 IST+0100

The GTX 780 is the video card I'll be reusing temporarily from the old machine. Should it work with the new board? When video cards exist again should I go nvidia or radeon?

Any recommendations on what shape/connector/whatever SSD I should use with that board? There'll be a SATA 256GB SSD and SATA 2TB HD from the old PC going into it as well, or if that's not feasible the 256GB SSD can be swapped out for a bigger one.

e2: Is the 5800x worth it for gaming or is the 5600x decently future proofed? I'm willing to pay more now to avoid having to do this again for an extra few years.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 31, 2021

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
So, it's about time I put my 2013 PC to pasture. The fans are barely functioning, the GPU is a bit behind the curve, and I need more disk space for video editing. I'd also like to play some games at higher settings with a decent SSD.

I'm looking at this as a starting point:

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/qRD2FT

For current needs, I'm running two monitors with the current setup with a small possibility of adding another one, and the videos I'm editing are about an hour long. I've got two SSDs (a 250gb and a 120gb) from prior computers I can use as media/game holders.

What should I consider adding/removing from this build to suit my needs, or needs I'm not aware of?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Bootcha posted:

So, it's about time I put my 2013 PC to pasture. The fans are barely functioning, the GPU is a bit behind the curve, and I need more disk space for video editing. I'd also like to play some games at higher settings with a decent SSD.

I'm looking at this as a starting point:

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/qRD2FT

For current needs, I'm running two monitors with the current setup with a small possibility of adding another one, and the videos I'm editing are about an hour long. I've got two SSDs (a 250gb and a 120gb) from prior computers I can use as media/game holders.

What should I consider adding/removing from this build to suit my needs, or needs I'm not aware of?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($314.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($99.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($165.81 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($180.00 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8 GB Founders Edition Video Card
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower Case ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($149.99 @ Best Buy)
Custom: Asiahorse Customization Mod Sleeve Extension Power Supply Cable Kit 18AWG ATX/EPS/8-pin PCI-E/6-pin PCI-E (white) ($36.99 @ Amazon)
Custom: Corsair LL120 LL Series, 120 mm Dual Light Loop RGB LED, PWM, High Airflow Fan - White (Triple Pack with Lighting Node PRO) ($129.99 @ Corsair)
Total: $1437.69
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-03-31 13:57 EDT-0400

Here is my take, that saves you a few hundred dollars.

If you're primarily gaming, I would consider upgrading to the 5600X, which is better all around. For more workstation-intensive tasks, I would consider the 5800X. If your only concern is availability and being better than the new consoles, the 3700X is fine.

Switched to air cooling, but it's overkill. You can get a NH-U14S and it will work great on any of the CPUs I've mentioned!

Went with a cheaper RAM, but you'll have to spend more if you want the RGB stuff. :catdrugs:

Also ditched the Samsung drives for the thread-favorite SN550. Saves a bit of money and works just as well in most real-world settings.

Also got a cheaper PSU, it's the same one I got: very solid.

GPU, I'd recommend an RTX 3060Ti, but I'm not sure how much time you have to find one! Or put the savings towards a 3080! :pcgaming:

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Splicer posted:

Any recommendations on what shape/connector/whatever SSD I should use with that board? There'll be a SATA 256GB SSD and SATA 2TB HD from the old PC going into it as well, or if that's not feasible the 256GB SSD can be swapped out for a bigger one.

e2: Is the 5800x worth it for gaming or is the 5600x decently future proofed? I'm willing to pay more now to avoid having to do this again for an extra few years.

Don't spend €300+ on that RAM, I paid €100 for the same spec last year (on a sale, but even without it shouldn't be more than €150).

Get an NVMe, the SN550 is the thread recommended best value/performance option. More expensive ones are faster for very little real world benefit.

The GPU will work with the board. When availability of the new cards is stabilised and close to RRP, the nvidia cards are generally better value given their improved 2nd gen ray tracing and DLSS capabilities. They also have a bunch of other inbuilt features useful for streaming/video calling/whatever. The equivalent AMD offerings are good at pure rasterisation if you don't care about the above stuff, but you probably should.

Unless you're in the market for a 3090 you won't need an 850W PSU. 750W is plenty for the 3080, 650 for 3070 and under.

The 5800x isn't worth the extra €150 over the 5600x for purely gaming and the extra two cores won't 'future proof' it. The 5600x is already a faster and better gaming CPU than the 3700x equivalent in the new consoles, despite having 2 fewer cores, which will dictate the general standard for game development as long as they're the most current platform. You'd be much better off taking the savings from the CPU and spending them on a better GPU.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Here is my take, that saves you a few hundred dollars.

If you're primarily gaming, I would consider upgrading to the 5600X, which is better all around. For more workstation-intensive tasks, I would consider the 5800X. If your only concern is availability and being better than the new consoles, the 3700X is fine.

Switched to air cooling, but it's overkill. You can get a NH-U14S and it will work great on any of the CPUs I've mentioned!

Went with a cheaper RAM, but you'll have to spend more if you want the RGB stuff. :catdrugs:

Also ditched the Samsung drives for the thread-favorite SN550. Saves a bit of money and works just as well in most real-world settings.

Also got a cheaper PSU, it's the same one I got: very solid.

GPU, I'd recommend an RTX 3060Ti, but I'm not sure how much time you have to find one! Or put the savings towards a 3080! :pcgaming:

I'm currently on a i7-3820 3.60GHz. This would be my first AMD chip, so I'm not sure about the step comparison. But overall, I'd probably do something between the 3700X or 5600X based on your recommendation.

For the GPU, I'm on a GTX 780, and I'm somewhat aware of the current GPU shortage. I guess for sake of a benchmark, I don't need the full 4k experience of Death Stranding, and I can also afford to keep the basic settings at High and not Very High, with a few tweaks here and there.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Bootcha posted:

I'm currently on a i7-3820 3.60GHz. This would be my first AMD chip, so I'm not sure about the step comparison. But overall, I'd probably do something between the 3700X or 5600X based on your recommendation.

For the GPU, I'm on a GTX 780, and I'm somewhat aware of the current GPU shortage. I guess for sake of a benchmark, I don't need the full 4k experience of Death Stranding, and I can also afford to keep the basic settings at High and not Very High, with a few tweaks here and there.

The good news is with DLSS and a RTX 30 series GPU, you can crank that baby to 4k and hit over 100FPS with everything maxed the hell out. DLSS is loving witchcraft.

Also, if your workload is video rendering and you're not using Quick Sync logic in your video render pipeline (early quick sync kinda looked like booty if you really cared about video clarity), the 3700x is 4x as powerful in synthetic passmark benchmarks as the i7-3820, and that translates quite well to video encoding, since it can be embarrassingly parallel. If you're upgrading the GPU too, I would recommend looking in to using the new GPU's NVENC capabilities and seeing where that puts you quality wise with video, because the NVENC encoding logic has gotten extremely good, the results from NVENC are near enough indistinguishable from h264 high quality CPU encoding, and are many times quicker even than the Ryzen CPUs at chewing through video renders.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 31, 2021

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

spunkshui posted:

Most cases are pretty wide because they have the ability to mount a GPU vertically. Even a little corsair 4000D can fit one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX9IA-MLEZA

If you are more of a floor computer person and just like a full tower the 5000D is bigger and has 10 fans mounts.

If you hate RGB maybe look at companies like "be quiet" that sell cases with no windows. Look for there to be sound absorbing material on that solid side panel too.

Thank you for this, went ahead and pulled the trigger on a be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900. Really liked the customization options it offered plus no RGB.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Zil posted:

Thank you for this, went ahead and pulled the trigger on a be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900. Really liked the customization options it offered plus no RGB.

Don’t you know the RGB gives you more RAM compression? And you need a case with a handle on top so you have an easier time carrying the tower to your LAN parties? How else are bros going to know how overclocked your hard drive is without the RGB showing through the glass side panel(s)?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Hey, so I notedjust now that the Ryzen 5 is out of stock everywhere and now builds in the last couple of pages are using the Ryzen 7. Could I please get a TL;DR on what happened? I was going to buy a Ryzen 5 soon for my new build, but I'm guessing that the 7 is the new hotness or something? Or is it just more stock and shipping issues from China due to the bullshit that's been going on as of late?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

neogeo0823 posted:

Hey, so I notedjust now that the Ryzen 5 is out of stock everywhere and now builds in the last couple of pages are using the Ryzen 7. Could I please get a TL;DR on what happened? I was going to buy a Ryzen 5 soon for my new build, but I'm guessing that the 7 is the new hotness or something? Or is it just more stock and shipping issues from China due to the bullshit that's been going on as of late?

the reality is the 5 and 7 are out of stock because AMD promised all their silicon for consoles, which kinda fucks them. They can't get PC processors out in enough numbers to meet demand. Everyone's in a supply crunch though.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Nothing of note. If the 5600x is out of stock it's because it's the best value CPU right now for most builds.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Welp. Hopefully I actually get to build this rig before my current one crumbles.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Butterfly Valley posted:

Nothing of note. If the 5600x is out of stock it's because it's the best value CPU right now for most builds.

Yeah supposedly they sold 2x more Ryzen 5000 chips than they did Ryzen 3000 chips at launch, the demand is just so insane that availability is still worse.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/amd-ship...PU%20shipments.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
there were parts of the 3000 stack that were also ridiculously impossible to find. the 3300x was doing the "impossible to find in any non-bundled context" thing long before the gpus started doing it and that's still true afaik

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Yeah when the 5000 series released, Gamers Nexus said that their sales of AMD Zen 3 CPUs and B550/X570 motherboards via affiliate links surpassed Intel's, they were like 60%+ of GN's CPU sales after release, which is a big loving gain on the chart from where they were, so at least in the enthusiast segment it's AMD or nothing right now.

Also looking at that pcmag article, who in the gently caress is buying something with a VIA cpu?

orange juche fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Mar 31, 2021

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Its what the Chinese homegrown CPUs are based off of, for government stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I'm down to 120gb free on my 1tb SSD. I currently have a Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 on an ASRock Z370 Extreme4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard. What are the current go to for a second SSD drive? Use for that drive will probably be 100% for games downloads.