Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

they're recovering well. I'm way more inclined to buy a Series early this gen with gamepass and backwards compatibility. I'm sure in a few years PS5 will have a load of good exclusives but for now it's just an expensive Ps4 Pro Pro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's very funny that despite video games being a huge mega-billion dollar industry all these top-level jokers always seem to be predicting the imminent demise of video games and strive unceasingly to turn their home consoles into VCRs.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Laserface posted:

remember when this was the thing that basically undid the entire business model of the Xbone?

I think my internet has been out a grand total of twice since the Bone launch.

The problem is Microsoft's internet and servers have to be up too.

Kevyn posted:

Lol Xbox Live has been down for four hours

Doctor Nutt posted:

What the gently caress, I can't even sign in? Even in previous outages it didn't prevent me from being logged in as me on the console itself, I can't even pick an account for local saves or anything.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
That’s true, ‘live’ does get a bit hosed up at times - I remember a bad Christmas last year/year before.

I don’t play that much but I can’t really remember the last time I had problems logging in.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Zat posted:

Focusing on live sports and TV when launching a game console is not so great. Also making the Kinect an "integral" part of the console instead of an add-on.

It was a huge self-nuke and they're still recovering.

Was extremely America-centric as well. I didn't even get free to air tv in Vancouver where I lived at the time, and didn't give a drat about footbawww and wheel of fortune. Definite "we aren't even thinking about you" vibes.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
If, instead of Kinect+HDMI they'd just put an OTA tuner in the thing and flipped the games:TV ratio in their reveal event, they'd probably have been pretty well positioned for the whole cordcutter thing. Streamer boxes don't play discs from Redbox and, at the time, couldn't do live TV for reasons of MPEG2. Part of what made their whole video push weird was how much of it was tied up in this goofy cable box integration just as everyone under 30 was deciding they don't need cable tv.

They even had Windows Media Center, which is still the slickest PC DVR to ever exist, that they could have rejiggered into running standalone on the bone instead of the server-extender arrangement they had on the 360. Nobody used it on the 360 but any time I showed it to someone the reaction was always some variation of "holy poo poo how is this possible." They loving tossed it out the window for OneGuide.

Shoulda coulda woulda, I guess.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

TheScott2K posted:

Shoulda coulda woulda, I guess.

If they’d done all that though, then the ship probably wouldn’t be currently being captained by the most handsome and charismatic man in gaming, Phil Spencer.

I see the Xbox one debacle as the eggs being broken for the Series x omelette. And it’s tasty.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Is there a way I can use gamepass for pc while offline? I’m going on a roadtrip soon and I’m not expecting to have great internet for most of it.

Alternatively, does it use much data while playing offline games? I can always tether my laptop to my phone, but I’m on pretty limited data allowances too.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i started playing the batman telltale game off gold because i wanted something short to tide me over until binding of isaac and boy is it a buggy mess lol. sometimes entire character models dont load, or the back half of their heads don't. probably a third of the characters were stuck in a weird depth of field blur for all of chapter 3. i know telltale largely sucked at making games run but didnt they make a whole rear end sequel to this game? did they just leave it this buggy or is this maybe a backwards compatibility issue

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Back compat games starting to be added to cloud gaming for Game Pass Ultimate
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1377274627500638211

Play Morrowind and Viva Piñata on your phone.

Make a new Viva Piñata you cowards.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Are there plans to add anymore Xbox OG / Xbox 360 games to BC? It feels like its been awhile since new titles were added.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

I said come in! posted:

Are there plans to add anymore Xbox OG / Xbox 360 games to BC? It feels like its been awhile since new titles were added.

They've said at times there are plans to add more, the big issue remaining though is so many that people want have licensing and rights issues around them.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

I said come in! posted:

Yeah, it's been a while as they got shifted to focus all the Xbone games worked right. They'll start adding more again this year. But as said above, the problem with those titles is licensing and sadly most of the games I would actually want to play again are license titles like the LOTR games.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Super No Vacancy posted:

i started playing the batman telltale game off gold because i wanted something short to tide me over until binding of isaac and boy is it a buggy mess lol. sometimes entire character models dont load, or the back half of their heads don't. probably a third of the characters were stuck in a weird depth of field blur for all of chapter 3. i know telltale largely sucked at making games run but didnt they make a whole rear end sequel to this game? did they just leave it this buggy or is this maybe a backwards compatibility issue

Telltale games in general were hella glitchy. I suppose it goes with the territory of making episodic games that actually tried to stick to their original release schedules. At least they managed to stop their games from corrupting their own saves, I think.

I played both seasons of Telltale Batman on Xbone and kinda enjoyed them.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Thom12255 posted:

Yeah, it's been a while as they got shifted to focus all the Xbone games worked right. They'll start adding more again this year. But as said above, the problem with those titles is licensing and sadly most of the games I would actually want to play again are license titles like the LOTR games.

The other day I was really hoping 007: Everything or Nothing was backwards compatible. It sadly is not.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I will never get rid of my original Xbox. Modded that sucker with an SSD containing every game I care about, and hooked it up to an OSSC for clean upscaling + scanlines. There's something nice about having the original hardware and using that weird Mountain Dew green controller variant.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

OG Xbox is such a beast of a machine. I bought one about two years ago and modded it recently enough. It's really nice taking them apart and looking around. The homebrew scene on it is amazing.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

TheScott2K posted:

They even had Windows Media Center, which is still the slickest PC DVR to ever exist, that they could have rejiggered into running standalone on the bone instead of the server-extender arrangement they had on the 360. Nobody used it on the 360 but any time I showed it to someone the reaction was always some variation of "holy poo poo how is this possible." They loving tossed it out the window for OneGuide.

Media Center was slick as hell. How it handled QAM and using 360 as extenders was incredible.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Media Center was slick as hell. How it handled QAM and using 360 as extenders was incredible.

The way it just fully duplicated the Windows client, just on your xbox360, with all the smoothness intact felt impossible. They were just way too ahead of their time on WMC. Sad!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Thom12255 posted:

What I really want is all of the Forza Motorsport games from OG Xbox, and Xbox 360 to be playable on Xbox One.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Thom12255 posted:

I have been thinking about the LOTR game that was a turn based final fantasy lite rpg where your party was always like.....5 minutes behind the fellowship at every major event.

I loved that game back in the day and would love to play it again.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Speaking of OG Xbox BC, why the hell isnt SSX3 on Gamepass?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
When will the cowards patch achievements into og xbox games???

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Achievement for being the last person to stay on OG Halo 2 online years after the game shut down.

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010
Is Outriders preloadable on gamepass? It might be an ok game for free$.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Kevyn posted:

Probably music licenses

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

Real hurthling! posted:

Probably music licenses

They still sell it though

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Oh i misread

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
https://twitter.com/TESOnline/status/1377340320216612866

60 FPS, better graphics, doubling draw distances, loading times cut in half.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Kevyn posted:

A real crime, this.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Put loving Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers in backwards compatibility, that game loving ruled and I'm tired of having to keep a PS2 around for it (gently caress keeping an og Xbox around they're too loving big)

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
https://twitter.com/Toadsanime/status/1377369637214560262

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Akuma posted:

Put loving Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers in backwards compatibility, that game loving ruled and I'm tired of having to keep a PS2 around for it (gently caress keeping an og Xbox around they're too loving big)

This was the one I never got to play, was ROTK superior?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

It is truly sad that they cant turn 1 trillion dollars into any new games

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Leave the new games to Sony and Nintendo

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Leave the new games to Sony and Nintendo
https://twitter.com/343lndustries/status/1377367167016951810?s=21

😬 April Fool's

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Whoops, trying to remember who that goon was that was joking a few weeks ago about Halo Infinite being delayed until 2022.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i mean its great that xbox devotes time to enabling and improving BC right now but they only do so because theyre clawing back from their last gen catastrophe which was largely caused by their anti-consumer plans, and BC is an angle where they can differentiate themselves from the competition. once sony fucks up due to hubris and microsoft is back on top theyll go right back to loving it all up

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Really both devs are loving up this new gen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Whoops, trying to remember who that goon was that was joking a few weeks ago about Halo Infinite being delayed until 2022.

wait never mind, i'm dense, that twitter account is fake lol.