Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
The best part about pc gaming is that a pc can do a shot load of other things things besides play video games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

QuarkJets posted:

What console warriors don't get is that PC gamers don't even give a poo poo about their imaginary war and often own a console, too

Yeah and the console gamers usually own a lovely home computer too it's hilarious

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Vic posted:

That $2000 figure keeps coming up and I'm super confused why. Are you counting the monitor into it?

$500

A 1030 isn't usually what people are talking about. That particular one won't even hit 30fps in rocket league since it's the variant with much slower memory.

E: since I'm jumping into an active conversation: exclusives are dumb, but they exist. People who talk about 'PC gaming' as a distinct thing are infinitely dumber.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

jokes posted:

Just lol if you’re playing games at 60 FPS/1080p in TYOOL 2021.

But that's what I do :smith:

I think it looks fine. I have a pretty cheap 60 Hz TV that I just plug my PC into, so it isn't capable of getting anything above 50 FPS technically (I think the game will say it exceeds 60 fps, but what I'm actually seeing on the TV can't get above that

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

A 1030 isn't usually what people are talking about. That particular one won't even hit 30fps in rocket league since it's the variant with much slower memory.

E: since I'm jumping into an active conversation: exclusives are dumb, but they exist. People who talk about 'PC gaming' as a distinct game are infinitely dumber.

I have the 1060 3 GB. A cheap card but one that hasn't yet actually FAILED to play a game, although some games do need everything turned down most of the way.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Exclusives are great, they force the different console developers to really sink time and money into getting unique and interesting games, cultivating talent, and using each consoles unique features to craft interesting and worthwhile experiences

Lack of exclusives is what's caused this recent storm of samey garbage games that all feel the same.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

Lack of exclusives is what's caused this recent storm of samey garbage games that all feel the same.

No it hasn't, it's the ease of creating games that did that. And it's not a bad thing to have more games, it just requires a bit of discretion in order to pick out the good ones.

I like how some PS5 bro referred to "indie garbage" earlier in the thread because the truth is indie games generally end up being the best games, and the explosion in indie studios has been the best thing to happen to the industry for a long time. Someone who only plays 3 big budget games a year or sinks hundreds of hours into the same game might not get that

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Most indie games suck rear end. I don't want to play symphony of the night but bad, or platformers with controls worse than a speecy game, or whatever bullshit flavor of the month rpg someone shat out.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Play posted:

I have the 1060 3 GB. A cheap card but one that hasn't yet actually FAILED to play a game, although some games do need everything turned down most of the way.

A 1060 3gb and a 1030 ddr4 are worlds apart in terms of performance.

Having been very active in the pc building thread 2017-2019, before the recent dumbness, and the last crypto boom, and the time ram prices were going crazy, you could build a rock solid 1080p60 max settings (in the us, no monitor) for $600-800, which was a bit of a golden era. A 1440p144 computer and monitor ran around $1500.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Yeah usually a team with some amount of money/experience is better than most indie games but the ones that work are so good.

Like lol at the Harvest Moon series taking several teams of experienced developers backed by real publishers to get to the state it got to then some fan of the series by the name of ConcernedApe single handedly makes a better version of everything Harvest Moon has ever tried

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

Most indie games suck rear end. I don't want to play symphony of the night but bad, or platformers with controls worse than a speecy game, or whatever bullshit flavor of the month rpg someone shat out.

Yeah you clearly haven't played many (any?) but you're entitled to your opinion. Enjoy your fortnite or whatever

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

A 1060 3gb and a 1030 ddr4 are worlds apart in terms of performance.

Having been very active in the pc building thread 2017-2019, before the recent dumbness, and the last crypto boom, and the time ram prices were going crazy, you could build a rock solid 1080p60 max settings (in the us, no monitor) for $600-800, which was a bit of a golden era. A 1440p144 computer and monitor ran around $1500.

yeah the poo poo is all hosed now it sucks. Looks like I'll be using this card for a while still. Which is fine but I'd be more comfortable to at least have the OPTION to buy a GPU that doesn't cost more than my entire PC did

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Some of my favorite games have been Indie games but also some of the most overyhyped things I've ever played have also been indie games.

Conclusion: contrasts. Perhaps a land of.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

PinheadSlim posted:

Yeah usually a team with some amount of money/experience is better than most indie games but the ones that work are so good.

Like lol at the Harvest Moon series taking several teams of experienced developers backed by real publishers to get to the state it got to then some fan of the series by the name of ConcernedApe single handedly makes a better version of everything Harvest Moon has ever tried

Rune factory four is literally a better game in every way then stardew, except for lacking multiplayer.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Gaius Marius posted:

We're in a golden age of indie games right now and you're doing yourself a disservice by buying into a dated stereotype of it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I mean nobodies even bothered to name a single good indie game. Excepting the stardew lad, but that games alright.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

Realistically, most AAA games also suck rear end. Bad games are everywhere.

But when it comes to good indie games, the peaks are very high. Shovel Knight, Superhot, Hollow Knight, Celeste, etc. A lot of stuff also exists between "GOTY contender" and "shovelware bullshit"

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Is Furi an indie game? It's one of my top 5 games I think.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Gaius Marius posted:

I mean nobodies even bothered to name a single good indie game. Excepting the stardew lad, but that games alright.

Is Disco Elysium considered indie or a step above?

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I also think it's unfair to rule out cheap games that are fun for a few hours. They serve an entirely different but equally important purpose in my opinion.

Like sometimes I don't want to have to play a story based game or a fast paced PVP shooter. Sometimes I just want to ride a mountainbike down a hill for half an hour.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Gaius Marius posted:

A hat in time and into the breach were my big standouts in recent years

E: is parkitect indy? It rules too

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I have a friend I know since highschool who "only plays AAA games" and those are his exact words. He's after the beautiful graphics and immersion. And when he plays those AAA games he gets all trophies.

This means he only ever plays 3rd person action adventure games.

He also thinks indie games are boring and ugly. 2d games are old and unplayable. He gets upset if I try to show him some of my favorites.

He also likes Star Wars.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Yeah if you can sit through something like Uncharted or Kingdom Hearts but can't bring yourself to play and enjoy an indie game it's probably more a statement about you than any of the games themselves lol

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

Good indie games list: Terraria, Factorio, Valheim, Tabletop Simulator, Rimworld, Space Engineers, Streets of Rogue, Undertale, Underrail, Avorion, Slay the Spire, Katana ZERO, Cuphead, Slime Rancher, Bastion, Transistor, Ultimate Chicken Horse, Duck Game, Hand of Fate, Nuclear Throne...

What are you crazy?! There's so many!

EDIT: Those are only the ones I have installed right now.

Vic fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 31, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Hollow knight: lost me after a couple hours; hated the controls and graphical styling

A hat in time: Better than some of the 3D platformer indies, but still not great

Parkitect: I tried it, quit, and started playing Rollercoaster tycoon 2 again

Superhot: Pretty cool, only game that's unique and plays towards the indie spaces strengths. Good game

Shovel Knight: Boring 2D platformer, and I hate seeing him in a million different games

Furi: Might be okay, It's on my wishlist

Disco Elysium: If I wanted to read a novel I'd pick up a book

Into the Breach: Pretty disappointing after FTL tbh

As far as I can tell in the last two decades the only truly great games in the indie space are Hotline Miami, The Talos Principle, and La Mulana 2

That's less great games than Treasure put out on the Genesis

FakeEdit I did forget about slay the spire, that's my bad
But all the Supergiant games are boring and look gross.
Underrail might also be good If I wasn't terrible at it.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Vic posted:

I have a friend I know since highschool who "only plays AAA games" and those are his exact words. He's after the beautiful graphics and immersion. And when he plays those AAA games he gets all trophies.

He also thinks indie games are boring and ugly. 2d games are old and unplayable. He gets upset if I try to show him some of my favorites.

He also likes Star Wars.

Which means he'd have to have pretended to like Jedi Farting Order. Rough.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Vic posted:

He also likes Star Wars.

And yet he doesn't like Super Star Wars because it's 2d? get rid of that trash friend

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Vic posted:

He also likes Star Wars.

Your friend sounds like a dweeb there's been like four good aaa games released this generation and last. Why would you spend time playing that schlock when you could be playing worms armageddon.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Gaius Marius posted:

Your friend sounds like a dweeb there's been like four good aaa games released this generation and last. Why would you spend time playing that schlock when you could be playing worms armageddon.

What are your most played games if you don't mind me asking? Ignore me if you don't care to admit it. Mine's easily Dwarf Fortress, for fairness.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

As far as I can tell in the last two decades the only truly great games in the indie space are Hotline Miami, The Talos Principle, and La Mulana 2

Ori and the blind forest, This War of Mine, Torchlight 2, Beat Cop, Baba is You, Jazzpunk, Heat Signature, Where The Water Tastes Like Wine, Kenshi, Satisfactory, Soma, Gunpoint, Papers Please...

You just don't play indie games is your problem.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Soma was quite good. I'm really impressed by Dead Cells and Journey on the iPad, even though I've played them on PC.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

Parkitect: I tried it, quit, and started playing Rollercoaster tycoon 2 again

I'm playing Parkitect right now for the first time and I'm curious what made you quit and go back to RCT2 because after playing through about six of the scenarios it seems like a modern RCT2 in every single way, to the point that I'm surprised it's not legally actionable.

Gaius Marius posted:

Into the Breach: Pretty disappointing after FTL tbh

Agree with this. There was a lot of hype around it and it turned out to be not even an inch deep.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Invisible Inc is my favorite tactics game of all time, another indie game. I'd gladly play another 40 hours of that than a single additional hour of the modern XComs

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

PinheadSlim posted:

What are your most played games if you don't mind me asking? Ignore me if you don't care to admit it. Mine's easily Dwarf Fortress, for fairness.

Somehow Dragon Age: Origins and Alpha Protocol are my two most played games on Steam and I'm not sure how I racked up so many hours on the former (I suspect I left the game running while off doing other things) and I have mixed feelings about the latter just in general.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Rimworld is interesting because it's a fantastic indie game and has some of the best mods in the entire games industry, crushing two lame-o groups simultaneously (anti-indie and anti-mods).

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

christmas boots posted:

(I suspect I left the game running while off doing other things)

I've had games that I've closed out only to realize that despite exiting the program it's still somehow running in the background and Steam counts it

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

I have a computer.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

Rimworld is interesting because it's a fantastic indie game and has some of the best mods in the entire games industry, crushing two lame-o groups simultaneously (anti-indie and anti-mods).

Yes but...

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Some good indie games I've played over the years, wherein I define indie as "small studio at most".

Age of Decadence: old school style RPG.

Darkest Dungeon: dungeon crawler.

Long Live the Queen: anime princess simulator

Star Traders: Frontiers: Spaceship adventures!

Northgard: strategy game.

The Council: weird rear end story/puzzle game.

Doki Doki Literature Club: Just Monika.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

christmas boots posted:

Somehow Dragon Age: Origins and Alpha Protocol are my two most played games on Steam and I'm not sure how I racked up so many hours on the former (I suspect I left the game running while off doing other things) and I have mixed feelings about the latter just in general.

I'm going to make a guess: you finished "watching" one of Bioware's extremely well-made and not at all ridiculous romance scenes, which definitely do not look like someone is slapping a barbie and a ken doll together, and then you fell asleep afterward

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

i am way too busy posting on the forums to actually play games on a pc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Vic posted:

Yes but...

idgi

Are you pointing out that you can't ride the horses in rimworld? Good news there's a mod for that