Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Orange Devil posted:

gently caress your people are rational actors when making purchasing decisions framework, you disgusting liberal.

I think it is funny that your go to victim is someone with a slightly below normal iq instead of an autist with zero social abilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Zzulu posted:

Has elon musk not made those supertunnels for rich people yet

I think you're confused, Jeff Bezos was the one who bought Whole Foods

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

... Which is a joke that would only make sense if you had said "supermarkets" (which my brain read three times somehow) and not "supertunnels". I'm gonna go lay down for a bit.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

500excf type r posted:

I think it is funny that your go to victim is someone with a slightly below normal iq instead of an autist with zero social abilities.

Tbh I'd expect the latter to spend a bunch of time researching cars and make a fully informed decision in that they'd know full-well exactly how they've been hosed by the salesman and were just unable to do anything about it.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Orange Devil posted:

I wish you could make this girl switch places with the other girl for like, a week, just so she can then incessantly pester her loaded parents about why they don't help people like her classmates. And also because it might, just might, save this girl from becoming a horrible person deserving of a guillotine.

I can't do that obviously, but I have been having chats with her about why she thinks the girl's shoes are dirty, clothes the same, etc.

Just walking her through the correct thought process so she hopefully can learn.

I mean, reading/writing/arithmetic are important and all, but the revolutions of 1848 take precedence when you're teaching 7 year olds. :colbert:

spacetoaster has issued a correction as of 17:58 on Mar 31, 2021

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

3,000 minutes a month, those are rookie numbers. I want to see you charging overtime for making GBS threads on the boss’s desk by YESTERDAY

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Salt Fish posted:

I think theres a disney movie about this.

Face Off was Paramount not Disney

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Shame Boy posted:

... Which is a joke that would only make sense if you had said "supermarkets" (which my brain read three times somehow) and not "supertunnels". I'm gonna go lay down for a bit.

Tbh when I've been in Whole Foods it's just been a queue of rich people that started at the front door all the way to the checkout so ...kinda works?

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
i love shop lifting from whole foods

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/ChatfieldKate/status/1377274299778666499

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

I tried shoplifting once but I didn't realise how hard it was and gave up

Buildings are incredibly heavy! :dadjoke:

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Failed Imagineer posted:

See this is a perfect example of how they get you - you probably only went in that day looking to buy one car, but then the upselling starts...

I have a friend who drove her bf to a car lot so he could get a car. She wound up getting pressured into buying a lovely new jeep suv that she hated.

She's not a kid, early 30s. And she got absolutely chaos dunked by that salesman.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

jetz0r posted:

I have a friend who drove her bf to a car lot so he could get a car. She wound up getting pressured into buying a lovely new jeep suv that she hated.

She's not a kid, early 30s. And she got absolutely chaos dunked by that salesman.

Good loving lord I want to say "never go to a car dealership alone even if you're just browsing" but it sounds like she wasn't alone and still got scammed.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
How do you get pressured into a major purchase like that?

Like sure, someone could sweet talk me into buying a gadget for like, 50-100 bucks. I could see that. It's probably happened and I didn't remember.

But....a base model SUV is like $30,000 minimum no? I'm not showing up anywhere prepared to spend that much without knowing exactly what it is I want first and I will not budge on that specification unless I can't make it happen or further research points me elsewhere.

I wanted a manual transmission my Accord, someone seriously tried to tell me the CVT was just as good. Uh no, if I wanted that I wouldn't have bothered contacting 5 different places looking for it.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

skooma512 posted:

they make a living doing it. when i made my first purchase at a dealership i was working in lending at the time so i was pretty familiar with apr, total price with interest, etc.

after a couple times where the salesman went to the back office to "bring it to the manager" the manager came out and showed me his top nissan sales bracelet he got for selling so many cars. which, i dont know why, that sounded to me like a green beret showing off his ear necklace

he then spent 5 minutes pointing to the contract and saying "can you make this monthly payment?" while completely ignoring my financing questions. yeah, i could afford the monthly payment but with my credit and the amount i was putting down they were absolutely loving me on the APR and the price. but he was so insistent i started to doubt myself a bit by the time he gave up.

like its their job to move those cars. if they dont move them they get yelled at, fired, or have their commission reduced. if theyre bullying you into buying a car its partly because theyre probably getting worse from their boss

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

actionjackson posted:

I liked the big car-free plaza when I visited there (Stroget?)

I stayed on Nørre Søgade and had no trouble getting around - I assume those rectangular "lakes" are all man-made

there used to be natural lakes there, but they were turned into moats in the middle ages when there was a proper city wall just inside them, basically where Nørre Søgade etc are now. the city walls were taken down following a cholera epidemic in 1853 iirc

strøget is alright for having no cars but ugh shops

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

skooma512 posted:

Like sure, someone could sweet talk me into buying a gadget for like, 50-100 bucks. I could see that. It's probably happened and I didn't remember.

But....a base model SUV is like $30,000 minimum no? I'm not showing up anywhere prepared to spend that much

Well first off you never, ever talk in terms of the whole price, you talk in terms of only $150 a month!!! or whatever. You keep re-framing it until it sounds like they're signing up for a phone plan or cable provider or whatever. You throw numbers up in the air fast enough that they can't fixate on any one of them, and eventually after enough information overload they shut down and focus on one specific thing, which you make sure is the monthly payment. Suddenly they're not spending $30,000, in their head it feels like they're spending $150. I mean gosh, that's downright affordable!

I have a theory that it operates on the same lines as a thing called "task saturation", which is a phenomena best known from airplane crashes. Basically pilots trying to juggle too many stressful tasks and pieces of information at once during an emergency reach a point where new information literally can't be processed by their brains, it just kinda bounces off them without being interpreted or added to their awareness of the situation. Then the brain tries to get out of this state by focusing on one specific task or piece of information and ignoring everything else. In plane crashes this can be something like fixating on the altitude and not noticing the airspeed is plummeting and you're about to stall, in car sales it's fixating on the monthly payment and not noticing the total you owe is skyrocketing.

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.
Found a car I wanted at a dealership once, negotiated an acceptable price over email before telling them I was heading out to buy the car and driving out there (this place was over an hour away). Got financing all sorted with my bank ahead of time and made sure I brought the paperwork with me. Took a quick test drive just to be sure there wasn't any weird unexpected issues and thought at that point I'd be out of there in 30 minutes. Financing dude kept trying to get me to sign with their in house financing and I kept saying I already had a loan through my bank and kept handing him the paperwork. Dude said he can't just take my word for it that the bank has approved me for this loan... so I kept shoving the paperwork at him and kindly explaining that is what the paperwork is for. He kept insisting that it wasn't enough and trying to get me to sign with their financing. It went as far as this dude shouting at a rep from my bank over the phone about it, poor guy at the bank sounded so confused why this dude was angry when he had in his hands the exact thing he was asking for. Dude kept getting all mad at me that we were keeping them past closing as if he wasn't the only reason we were still there 5 hours later before eventually relenting. After all that they still tried to upsell me on extended warranties and rust proofing (this was a different salesman who looked genuinely embarrassed to be making his sales pitch after financing guy was bouncing around shouting like an animal for hours and hours, which cheered me up only a little bit).

I think of this experience every time the dealership send me some junk mail telling me it's a great time to trade in for a new model and I get heated all over again as if I'm reliving it. Anyway, I probably just wasn't an informed enough consumer or else I would have had a great experience I assume.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I helped my gf get a car at Carmax and it went fine. They took our old piece of poo poo for more than I would have bought it for and the sales guy told us about other people making recent ill-advised purchases such as trading in a car you're underwater on for a bigger, more expensive one.

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.
I've actually bought 2 cars from carmax in my life and both experiences were actually pretty pleasant. The only issue I had with either was the amp on the radio blew within a week of purchase and they fixed it without hassle. The only better experiences I've had were when I've bought from private sellers (This is really the only way to have a great experience buying/selling a car)

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Adjectivist Philosophy posted:

Found a car I wanted at a dealership once, negotiated an acceptable price over email before telling them I was heading out to buy the car and driving out there (this place was over an hour away). Got financing all sorted with my bank ahead of time and made sure I brought the paperwork with me. Took a quick test drive just to be sure there wasn't any weird unexpected issues and thought at that point I'd be out of there in 30 minutes. Financing dude kept trying to get me to sign with their in house financing and I kept saying I already had a loan through my bank and kept handing him the paperwork. Dude said he can't just take my word for it that the bank has approved me for this loan... so I kept shoving the paperwork at him and kindly explaining that is what the paperwork is for. He kept insisting that it wasn't enough and trying to get me to sign with their financing. It went as far as this dude shouting at a rep from my bank over the phone about it, poor guy at the bank sounded so confused why this dude was angry when he had in his hands the exact thing he was asking for. Dude kept getting all mad at me that we were keeping them past closing as if he wasn't the only reason we were still there 5 hours later before eventually relenting. After all that they still tried to upsell me on extended warranties and rust proofing (this was a different salesman who looked genuinely embarrassed to be making his sales pitch after financing guy was bouncing around shouting like an animal for hours and hours, which cheered me up only a little bit).

I think of this experience every time the dealership send me some junk mail telling me it's a great time to trade in for a new model and I get heated all over again as if I'm reliving it. Anyway, I probably just wasn't an informed enough consumer or else I would have had a great experience I assume.

I bought a used car flat out with cash a few years ago and they still took a whirl at trying to finance me. They offered to reduce the price by a couple hundred bucks if I agreed to their financing (which could not be paid off early without penalty for X amount of months, of course). And the primary salesman still half-assedly tried to do the shell game thing with the actual price (even though I'd called ahead and confirmed that the specific car was available at the specific advertised price on their website).

Always a pain to deal with that whole process, though in this case we did get in and out relatively quickly. My understanding is that they typically only make a few hundred bucks on a cheapo used car sale if they can't get you to bite on financing, add-ons, etc., so they have every imaginable incentive to load you up with the real money makers.

Vox Nihili has issued a correction as of 23:09 on Mar 31, 2021

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

the money makers thing reminded me of the pitch for that coating that was supposed to protect your hood from damage from little insects, pebbles, or whatever that hit it while driving

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

chop chop

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
We bought a car (new) recently and it wasn't nearly as painful as most of these descriptions. Tried to get as best of an impression of the invoice price, asked for quotes on in stock inventory from places with a note that they had one shot to give me their best offer including all details of our the door price. Some folks never have me anything less than MSRP, others got back a decent number of reasonable responses.

I had a couple of dipshits try to tell me they could get me a better deal if I come in, and I told them if they can't promise it in writing then I am not bothering to go in. One guy told me he could have done $500 better than the deal I got if I'd worked with him, and I simply let him know he'd have gotten the business if he'd been paying attention to my original request.

Being within 20 miles of like 10 of the same manufacturer dealerships, COVID, and end of the year I think got me a lot more leeway than others might normally get though.

Alucard has issued a correction as of 00:29 on Apr 1, 2021

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

car buying story

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

car buying story

When I was at the dealership for my Model T, the dealer tried to upsell me on a diamond-encrusted starter crank. I resisted, and got a great deal thanks to being an informed customer. Full leather interior!

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

skooma512 posted:

But....a base model SUV is like $30,000 minimum no? I'm not showing up anywhere prepared to spend that much without knowing exactly what it is I want first and I will not budge on that specification unless I can't make it happen or further research points me elsewhere.

I wanted a manual transmission my Accord, someone seriously tried to tell me the CVT was just as good. Uh no, if I wanted that I wouldn't have bothered contacting 5 different places looking for it.

I don't know. She had an old civic hatchback that she loved, then she had a jeep suv and was complaining about it. I want to say the story is even worse, that they went as a group and they all wound up with cars? But I don't remember the details. The dealership was absolutely savage.

High pressure sales tactics really loving work on some people, especially people that defer to authority and social norms easily.

My car buying story is that I spent 4 hours test driving stuff at a carmax, then left without buying anything cause all the cars sucked. Did the same thing at a few more dealerships, then finally found a car I liked after dark, with a sticker price of $13,800, kbb around 12k. I offered 10k, acted like an rear end in a top hat for a bit, made fun of their sales tactics, almost walked out, and wound up paying 10,500. Used a credit union for the loan, but I'm sure they still got me with something. I still have that car 15 years later.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

jetz0r posted:

I don't know. She had an old civic hatchback that she loved, then she had a jeep suv and was complaining about it. I want to say the story is even worse, that they went as a group and they all wound up with cars? But I don't remember the details. The dealership was absolutely savage.

High pressure sales tactics really loving work on some people, especially people that defer to authority and social norms easily.

My car buying story is that I spent 4 hours test driving stuff at a carmax, then left without buying anything cause all the cars sucked. Did the same thing at a few more dealerships, then finally found a car I liked after dark, with a sticker price of $13,800, kbb around 12k. I offered 10k, acted like an rear end in a top hat for a bit, made fun of their sales tactics, almost walked out, and wound up paying 10,500. Used a credit union for the loan, but I'm sure they still got me with something. I still have that car 15 years later.

What kind of car was this?

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Vox Nihili posted:

What kind of car was this?

zoom zoom
mazda protege5, it's got some issues, but it drives, holds stuff, and I like the way it handles.

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.
When henry T ford visited the salvage yard he asked "why don't we make the whole car out of seatbelt?"

My car went fr 8k to 9.5 in kbb value. Appreciating assets

Jabronie has issued a correction as of 01:53 on Apr 1, 2021

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

A coworker of mine is apparently such an easy mark the dealership got her parents to sell the car for them

Her mom and dad bought a new car and went "the rates are great you should buy a new car" and this grown rear end 37 year old adult literally went the next day and bought a car from the same place before work

PuErhTeabag
Sep 2, 2018
Most of my friends are still afraid to buy from anyone but a dealer.

I really don't get that mentality, dealerships and owners both can be unscrupulous, but at least owners don't usually play mind games with you and generally just want to get rid of the car without losing too much money.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I think it comes down to knowledge and how our society doesn’t really educate folks on these big tools we use. Most people have zero idea of a computer’s functionality, but I do have that knowledge. And when I learn more about computers, I can usually get the concepts quickly.

However, anything with carpentry or cars, I lose it. I’m anxious as all hell because I want to make the right decision and not break anything too bad. Right now, my 20yo car is at the dealership to swap out a murderous recalled airbag. And I’m hesitant that this was the right move because I don’t want them breaking my very old but reliable, paid off car.

I think there really should be a full or multi year home Ec/FACS/life skills class in high school. Learn basics of nutrition and cooking, how bikes and cars work, how a computer works, how banks and taxes work, etc.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
people misunderstood the point of my post. I wasn't decrying the scamming part, which is what all the beep boop logic posters were focusing on ("lol just don't get scammed?").

My point isn't that these dealerships were awful because you might get scammed, its the point that the experience itself is psychological tortuous. I went in with all the same advice from AI, and loads of research, I knew all of their tricks ahead of time and I did manage to haggle down to a reasonable price. I didn't get scammed. But to accomplish this I also had to endure every single thing they threw out me and that was exhausting. I shouldn't have to do all this poo poo to buy a loving car, and like others said there is nothing similar to buying a car and buying a TV. The TV sales person isn't running me through a Ninja Warrior-course of Milgram experiments.

Regardless of being scammed successfully or not, you still have to run through the gauntlet of poo poo they setup and be hypervigilant that they aren't throwing in extra line items, or are going to find some clever way to scam you. Regardless if the scams are easy to see like them focusing your attention on the bi-weekly price, its still overkill for what shouldn't be so over the top.

PuErhTeabag
Sep 2, 2018
True. Cars are complicated and it's hard to know if the car you are looking at is reliable or not. If you've got cash and a good mechanic, you can ask them to take a look before you sign the paperwork, but not everyone has cash&mechanic or the knowledge of how to look over a car themselves.

The logical jump I struggle with is that therefore we should trust the dealership to sell us something that isn't going to fall apart.

edit: this is in reply to two posts up

edit2: buying and selling used cars can suck, especially when you have to deal with flaky people you found on craigslist. However, I've usually had OK experiences being on the buying end. You just meet in a public place like a grocery store parking lot during daylight, bring a friend if it feels weird, agree to pay in cash at a later point so you don't have to carry a bunch to the first meeting, etc. If you've got a car geek friend, they will probably get excited to help you check out a car.

PuErhTeabag has issued a correction as of 04:14 on Apr 1, 2021

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Man I really didn't expect to see people earnestly defending the auto sales industry in the capitalism thread

Having several salespeople in my family and a lot of family friends who also were also in sales, they are all garbage people and would gladly leave you in a cardboard box if it made them hit their bonuses. If you can do sales and still sleep at night you're a loving parasite.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
im gay

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Hi gay, I’m your dad