Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

iroguebot posted:

Agreed, it was basically to see how things looked and how stock was. Basically like others have said the stock was pretty low, I'd say 40% of what was on the racks was on some layaway system so it was basically spoken for. The few bikes I saw that I'd be interested in were a size small only. The guy did say that they should expect shipments around mid April to May, gave me his card and said if I picked out something for sure to send an email and they'll try to set it aside and I can put a deposit to secure it.

I guess I'll be a Master of The Road (tm) for the time being, overall it was pretty impressive shop in a good area of Houston (it's by NASA and million dollar homes, lots of bike paths and parks) so I don't think they're trying to push for sales for the sake of sales. In terms of keeping the momentum of wanting to ride, with my health problems I really don't see myself going back to my old ways, the past two weeks I've actually wanted to get out and ride around some.

Anyways thanks for the suggestions so far, I'll keep an eye out on this thread for awhile.

Go on the pages of the bikes you are interested in on trek’s site, choose a size and color, then put in a zip code. I’ve had luck finding a bike this way. If it looks like there’s a shop that has something you want, give them a call and double check that it’s in stock. You can even buy it over the phone so it’s not gone when you show up (I recommend this). If you decide you hate it when you get there you can cancel it.

Another thing you can do is call around to shops and ask if they have whatever model you like. They might have it. If they don’t, they could have something similar from another brand and should let you know.

Dren fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

BraveUlysses posted:

also get a spurcycle bell they will blast through all earbuds

They are loud, I have one on my recumbent, but my Brompton’s bell is even louder.

It shouldn’t be, but it is.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

BraveUlysses posted:

also get a spurcycle bell they will blast through all earbuds

Ahahahahah

Got any other good jokes?

(seriously, the number of times I've ringed at people with my bell, which is a spurcycle, mind you, only to have them jump when I call out "ON YOUR LEFT" is loving stupid)

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

My favorite is them taking a step to the left when you call out "on your left."

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

iroguebot posted:

Hey guys never thought I'd be popping into a subforum like this after 15 years of being a fatass and playing World of Warcraft for 16 hours a day sometimes but heart disease and diabetes has finally caught up to me so about two weeks ago I went out and got one of those (dont point and laugh at me :( ) 98 dollar ROADMASTER bikes from walmart. After years of never being on a bike since my youth I kind of got bit by the bike bug and have been looking at something a bit more serious.

For reference I live in the Houston area and theres a few shops around me one of which Ive been looking at is a Bike Barn , the website and inventory look good and the prices seem average to what ive been hearing people quote in some youtube videos. To make a long story short ive been looking at the Trek brand FX 2 or 3, ideally the disc versions of them. The reviews seem mostly positive and ive looked at youtube reviews that seem honest and unbiased and some people really like these bikes.

I guess the honest question from most people here are going to be "what do you want to do with your bike?" And the answer is so far in looking to ride for fitness, and mostly along a bayou concrete bike path that runs between two local parks. In terms of anything outside that I would be interested in another local bike path that seems to be mostly that small gravel type. I really have no interest in mountain bike style dirt paths. Also ideally my budget would be around 500 to 700 dollars. Any real suggestions from goons on this situation or maybe alternative bikes in this range would be appreciated.

Even if you can't get a bike before the 30 day return window is up, keep the Roadmaster and keep on riding. Good job on getting back in motion.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

My favorite is them taking a step to the left when you call out "on your left."
this is why i just yell PASSING

or nothing

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

numberoneposter posted:

this is why i just yell PASSING

or nothing

Yeah, I just say heads up and be prepared for them to go in either direction.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
The unpredictable randomness of pedestrians when I call out some form of passing has just lead me to give up and be rude and pass silently, I’ll be long past them before they can react and do something unexpected.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

iospace posted:

Ahahahahah

Got any other good jokes?

(seriously, the number of times I've ringed at people with my bell, which is a spurcycle, mind you, only to have them jump when I call out "ON YOUR LEFT" is loving stupid)

i think it's loud enough it should be heard but i think the real problem is that most people just arent paying attention to their surroundings

saw a dog do a full 360 when it heard my hubs spinning as i coasted by, reminded me of my own idiot dog.

and i did my longest ride yet of 50.2 mi and my legs are absolutely hosed. i didn't stop for tacos (too late for taco trucks apparently) and my body was not loving the lack of energy by mile 40.

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Apr 1, 2021

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Hey bike thread. I know some of you are in the greater Seattle area. If you are, this weekend (and some future weekends, too, but more importantly this weekend!) you've got a chance to try out riding on a track bike at the Jerry Baker Memorial Velodrome in Redmond.
No track bike required - we've got a fleet of sweet track bikes that you can use.
No fixed gear or racing experience required - we'll reach you what you need to know.
COVID-safe protocols - masked riding, staying distanced, outdoors. This is about having fun learning first hand what riding fixed on a banked track is all about, not about getting a heavy-breathing workout or tight pacelines.
An hour of new experience, all for just $10.
Check out https://www.velodrome.org for more information.

And hey, if you aren't in the greater Seattle area, you should check out if you've got a local velodrome to try out. It's a unique and fun flavor of cycling that most folks never get a chance to experience.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender

BraveUlysses posted:

and i did my longest ride yet of 50.2 mi and my legs are absolutely hosed. i didn't stop for tacos (too late for taco trucks apparently) and my body was not loving the lack of energy by mile 40.

Snack/burrito bags are great. Top tube bags are also good and more aero, but you can only have one of them.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

meltie posted:

The more I spend at Wiggle, the less likely it seems to be that they throw Haribo into the box :(

Haribo grapefruit are my riding jam

big, easy to pull out of a bag, hard to drop, triangular for the geometric points

Apr 7, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

i think it's loud enough it should be heard but i think the real problem is that most people just arent paying attention to their surroundings

saw a dog do a full 360 when it heard my hubs spinning as i coasted by, reminded me of my own idiot dog.

Not being able to stop for food last year really upped my ride distance

that and realizing that I had to stuff something in my face every hour

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
See what you want there is to do what my daughter is doing, and have me follow her at a much slower pace on a hybrid with panniers filled with food and water while she zips back and forth to her rolling snack cabinet.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

im still looking for a gravel biek, but i got a question. My lower back is absolute poo poo, does a flat bar or a drop bar help with said lovely back?

Apr 7, 2003

ElMaligno posted:

im still looking for a gravel biek, but i got a question. My lower back is absolute poo poo, does a flat bar or a drop bar help with said lovely back?

none of that matters, what matters is the core exercise you get from riding.

I have spondylolisthesis because my genetics are poo poo and will need a lumbar fusion at some point in my life, but cycling resulted in losing twenty pounds and developing core strength to fend off most of the pain. Four years ago I couldn't walk three blocks without stopping to rest.

If you're going to ride a lot get a drop bar bike just for comfort purposes, but any bike is better than no bike with regards to back pain.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

ElMaligno posted:

Pretty sure the answer for back problems is a more upright bike geometry that allows you to sit more upright while riding, like you would find in a hybrid bike. Incidentally, hybrid bikes have flat handlebars but the handlebars aren’t what will help your back. You can choose either drops or flats so long as the geometry has you upright.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

ElMaligno posted:

Lower back being absolute poo poo can mean a lot of different things.
I'd strongly suggest discussion with an actual PT or physician who understands bicycles and can give a medical recommendation.
A more upright geometry isn't inherently easier on your lower back, but also in some extreme cases you might be better off with a recumbent bicycle.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

The only thing this bell does on my bike is add weight and drag. It does gently caress all when walkers have noise-cancelling headphones.
I don't know what bell you have but those large Cranes are pretty dang loud.

learnincurve posted:

See what you want there is to do what my daughter is doing, and have me follow her at a much slower pace on a hybrid with panniers filled with food and water while she zips back and forth to her rolling snack cabinet.
Congrats on graduating to domestique ;D

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

none of that matters, what matters is the core exercise you get from riding.

I have spondylolisthesis because my genetics are poo poo and will need a lumbar fusion at some point in my life, but cycling resulted in losing twenty pounds and developing core strength to fend off most of the pain. Four years ago I couldn't walk three blocks without stopping to rest.

If you're going to ride a lot get a drop bar bike just for comfort purposes, but any bike is better than no bike with regards to back pain.

My dad just had his spinal fusion done for this, some doctor in the DC area has a newer technique that drastically shortened the recovery time he was back to golfing so fast. Let me know if you want details I’ll see what I can get.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

bicievino posted:

Lower back being absolute poo poo can mean a lot of different things.
I'd strongly suggest discussion with an actual PT or physician who understands bicycles and can give a medical recommendation.
A more upright geometry isn't inherently easier on your lower back, but also in some extreme cases you might be better off with a recumbent bicycle.

I am exaggerating a lil bit, but been having some persistent but low level of pain on my back, i am going to see a doctor tomorrow.

Still when i rode my bargain bin road bike it was a little uncomfortable, but when i rode my hybrid it was more comfortable. I think a less aggressive geometry might help me on the longer run.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
You probably want a fit too. There’s a host of small things that can cause problems for your back if they’re not right. Saddle up/down position, saddle fore/aft position, saddle size, crank size, stem length, and stem angle to name ones I can think of.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

ElMaligno posted:

I am exaggerating a lil bit, but been having some persistent but low level of pain on my back, i am going to see a doctor tomorrow.

Still when i rode my bargain bin road bike it was a little uncomfortable, but when i rode my hybrid it was more comfortable. I think a less aggressive geometry might help me on the longer run.

A badly fit hybrid would hurt more than a well fitting road bike - even being off by an inch in one direction can make riding very hard on the back

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

A badly fit hybrid would hurt more than a well fitting road bike - even being off by an inch in one direction can make riding very hard on the back

I intuit this from the simple act of sitting, yes.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Bike fit bike fit bike fit. I ride upright with straight bars, swept back Dutch bars and drop touring bars and to not wreck my back first they all have to be higher than normal people’s, and then they have to be adjusted for the angle my shoulder blades end up at while riding. All of that can be thrown off by the saddle being too far forward or backwards.

For me by far the best out the three are flat bars.

(Edit: yeh I ride slowly and upright like the mean dog hating lady from the wizard of oz, but on a shared cycle way you ain’t going to be going over 11 miles an hour much.)

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

evil_bunnY posted:

I don't know what bell you have but those large Cranes are pretty dang loud.

Same one in the picture :v:

iroguebot
Feb 15, 2001

Nerf this!

I sort have been looking at these hybrid style Treks, ideally at first I was looking into the Fx series but it looks like Verves may be a bit more something I'm going for since I like the slightly more upright positioning and the suspension on the seats. I did do what a poster earlier suggested and most of the bikes I'd sort of be between are OoS for at least 200 miles or so around me. I can play the waiting game just fine since I did it with GPUs, plus it'd probably motivate me to put some money to the side each week until I can snag something.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I’m one of the rare people who loves a hybrid for pootling around on, no I won’t beat any KoM on strava or ever reach the heady heights of 18mph but for exercise you can’t beat a hybrid on a canal path with a pannier filled with a thermos flask full of tea and a bacon sandwich at 6am on a summer morning.

That’s not to say road bikes aren’t cool and all, it just means I have 6 bikes (presumably the average in this thread is at least 3+) - incidentally the shite £100 mountain bike I have has a winter studded tyre on the rear and is a perfect junker winter bike.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

whos gonna win De Ronde??

im rooting for stybar and hoping sagan is on form. i wanna see some serious poo poo.

Hairy Nude
Aug 14, 2006
More gangsta, less angsta.
I bought a bike off bikesdirect and was attempting to assemble it myself, despite not knowing anything at all about cycling. I was able to put together everything smoothly, save for the front brake which was extremely tight. The brake disc wouldn't fit in between the pads, so I removed the pads and pressed the brake cylinders back to allow for more space. When I did this, however, a bit of clear liquid came out of the cylinders. I eventually got the disc to fit, but now the brake is very unresponsive when I use it and it barely slows the wheel down at all. Based on a few youtube videos I've watched it looks like the problem is that the brakes need to be bled; when I go to a bike shop to have them do it, is it worth getting a full tune-up on the bike while I'm there? I've never owned a bike before as an adult so I don't really know what I'm doing.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Please please take your bike to Halfords/local bike store and get them to fix what you did and check things are on the right way round, I run a tech support group for silver surfers and although I would never dream of implying you are a 68 year old northern man in a flat cap my mind just went to “are you sure we didn’t buy ourselves hydraulic brakes sir? Ok, and how much liquid did we see come out”

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

learnincurve posted:

Please please take your bike to Halfords/local bike store and get them to fix what you did and check things are on the right way round, I run a tech support group for silver surfers and although I would never dream of implying you are a 68 year old northern man in a flat cap my mind just went to “are you sure we didn’t buy ourselves hydraulic brakes sir? Ok, and how much liquid did we see come out”

Yep, absolutely get a bike mechanic to look it over and put it together properly so you don't get hurt when it falls apart.

Once that's done you can learn lots of bike maintenance stuff in the repair thread/Park Tool site/GCN videos

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

If it leaked at the caliper they need to be replaced, along with the contaminated pads probably.

Tune-ups are nonsense. A competent shop can tell you what's actually wrong with a bike and what it'll take to fix it.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

evil_bunnY posted:

If it leaked at the caliper they need to be replaced, along with the contaminated pads probably.

Tune-ups are nonsense. A competent shop can tell you what's actually wrong with a bike and what it'll take to fix it.

This. If it leaked down by the pads then the brake is broken - not your fault - and it must be fixed by the supplier.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
From what I can tell bikes don’t exist, I cannot find anything I want that is in stock

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Craigslist?

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Kelly continues to be the best comic satirist around:
https://twitter.com/GangofH/status/1378020334218182660?s=19

golden bells
Oct 17, 2013

With a heavy heart I bring news that the Shimano clipless sandals are sold out in a lot of sizes

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

install cleats directly into your feet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Group rides are back in the UK baby (max 6 people) and my excuses for getting dropped were on point.