Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Honestly I think the reason Hernandez’s jersey sells well in Boston is because they are confused and thought his first name was a slur

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Inspector_666 posted:

Also I feel like Hernandez is a weird edge case in that he's incredibly well-liked, just won the World Series, and signed with a new big-market team so you have two fanbases who probably want to buy one.

I'm also interested to know what timeframe this is supposed to cover because who is still buying Boston Betts or Washington Harper jerseys?

It's gotta be a fairly narrow window since you have Nolan Arenado Cardinals jerseys up there as well.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

FlamingLiberal posted:

Honestly I think the reason Hernandez’s jersey sells well in Boston is because they are confused and thought his first name was a slur

Hi Meyers Leonard

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

FlamingLiberal posted:

:drat:

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

FlamingLiberal posted:

100% my first thought, too, when reading the list.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Popete posted:

Is it that surprising that the top jersey sales for 2021 are a bunch of Dodgers who just won the World Series? It's not like the 2020 season was particularly notable for the Angels/Trout.
Betts/Bellinger/Kershaw are no surprise, but Keeks at #9 is somewhat unexpected, even as beloved as he has been on the Dodgers. I don't remember seeing him ever making these lists before now.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

https://twitter.com/Britt_Ghiroli/status/1377343449200877568

https://twitter.com/dougherty_jesse/status/1377343713442025473

ruh roh

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
On the other side of things:

https://twitter.com/zachsilver/status/1377349779630419968

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

*checks Dodgers schedule*
oh cool the apparently anti-vax Dodgers play the infected team next week

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

if only there was something that could be done to prevent this

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

https://twitter.com/drewmagary/status/1376651626992242695

:v:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Considering the Cardinals were absolutely ravaged by COVID last year and it resulted in a brutal schedule that may have cost them their shot at the division, I'm not surprised there was a huge internal push for players to get the loving shot.

Meanwhile I guess it's also not surprising that the team that let Turner run back out onto the field when they knew he had the plague has a bunch of players pontificating about how it's a "personal choice" :jerkbag:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Angel Hernandez lost his discrimination lawsuit https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/31172557/umpire-angel-hernandez-loses-race-discrimination-lawsuit-mlb

quote:

"The explicit reason MLB offers -- that according to Torre, Hernandez 'has not demonstrated the leadership ability and situation-management skills in critical high-pressure roles on a consistent basis' -- is presented in clear and specific terms," the judge said.

We finally have legal proof Angel sucks at his job

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/morsecode/status/1377366322846302213

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Angel Hernandez lost his discrimination lawsuit https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/31172557/umpire-angel-hernandez-loses-race-discrimination-lawsuit-mlb

We finally have legal proof Angel sucks at his job

lol what an incredible self own.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

To this day, the absolute craziest game I ever personally watched.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i feel like between the pandemic and the grim inevitable destruction of my favorite team for no reason i am really not into opening day, but i'm sure i'll be one pitch into tomorrow's game and immediately get sucked back in because i love this dumb, dying sport.

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Apr 1, 2021

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I'm super stoked, I think this is a good team with a high ceiling but I mostly just wanna fill a ton of time with baseball.

Interesting non-news I hadn't actually heard until today: Atlanta had agreed to a $9m deal with Kirby Yates early in the winter, but he failed the physical.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I'm super stoked, I think this is a good team with a high ceiling but I mostly just wanna fill a ton of time with baseball.

Interesting non-news I hadn't actually heard until today: Atlanta had agreed to a $9m deal with Kirby Yates early in the winter, but he failed the physical.

I am excited, but terrified. Worried we'll try to rush back Soroka.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

blossommirage posted:

I am excited, but terrified. Worried we'll try to rush back Soroka.
I think he's still maybe a month away. Sounds like no setbacks so far but I haven't gotten any impression that they're rushing him.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

R.D. Mangles posted:

i feel like between the pandemic and the grim inevitable destruction of my favorite team for no reason i am really not into opening day, but i'm sure i'll be one pitch into tomorrow's game and immediately get sucked back in because i love this dumb, dying sport.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

while yes, Angel Hernandez is an rear end umpire he still felt he was discriminated at his workplace

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I think he's still maybe a month away. Sounds like no setbacks so far but I haven't gotten any impression that they're rushing him.

The team has been saying it'll likely be late April/early May before he gets his first start. I think they've been playing it safe.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Padres reliever Michel Baez has to have TJS and will be out all of 2021 and a chunk of 2022

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

reminds me of this Ray Ratto opener in the Defector today

quote:

Baseball, which begins again tomorrow despite our most fervent endeavors to forget that fact, is in decline because the thing it sells more than anything else is the ennoblement of suffering and the admiration of patience—two things at which 21st century humanoids are particularly deficient.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
Springer on the IL for opening day

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Tweezer Reprise posted:

Springer on the IL for opening day

Banged into the can too hard.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1377459089937141761?s=19

E: Looks like 10/340

Traxis fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Apr 1, 2021

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1377459935353659392

Lindor caved

e;f,b

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Less than an hour before opening day. Had to be close.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The Mets overpaid but whatever. Cohen won’t miss it.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I'm amazed it got done at the 11th hour, but thats super cool. Congrats Mets and Lindor.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I've been staring out the window and waiting for spring for far, far too long at this point. I'm going to be able to go back to Wrigley Field and see the grass and hear whoever the new PA announcer is and whoever the new organist is and see whatever lefty reliever with a 5.64 ERA they trade Javy for at the deadline blow a lead in the 8th, and go to Nisei and drink about it. I'm in.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Woo! Hell yes.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Well, tonight I've now done MLB trivia with Poque and Kevlar, watched Bash Brothers, watched some of the Mariners History series, probably some more dorktown on the docket...
Clearly its time for baseball.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Does anyone know when Dee Gordon decided to start officially going by Dee Strange-Gordon again? He came up in the minors under that name but I believe played almost all of his MLB career just under Dee Gordon, but all of a sudden I notice that MLB sites have him listed under the longer name again.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
1 million more than Tatis lol. I wonder if that was related at all.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
the only hopeful thing I have this season is Ke'Bryan Hayes chasing NL ROTY and I am prepared to be disappointed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Welcome to Vlad Jr.s first of several MVP seasons.