Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Well, guess I might as well open up the keg since its this far apart...

I managed to get oven cleaner/water spots all over the camera today... I really should have invested in a filter. Hindsight is 20/20.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Mar 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Busy few nights around here, more info later.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Its later. Where be new things?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Got busy getting ready for a race weekend. Didn't total the car. Success.

Presented with little context.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

The kiddo needs some shop overalls. Gonna get that princess dress all dirty. :kimchi:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

:ck5: every post

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Elmnt80 posted:

The kiddo needs some shop overalls. Gonna get that princess dress all dirty. :kimchi:

She can't be safety princess without the dress. Safety princess says WEAR YOUR HELMET.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon:

:flashfap:

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
stanmarsh.jpg

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Those cars are all h o t.

Thank you for sharing.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Yesss. Love the thread name change.

The weather got nice, so it's time to focus on the storm damage. Cars can wait. Kinda.

Wood chipper was in order - and that along is a tale for another time. Rental yards can be such a PITA.

But the first one did not last a day before developing a leak.

The machine was exchanged with a larger unit which worked great. It was so much faster that we spent the remainder of the rental helping our elderly neighbors.

There are some great trees around their property.

Got this super cool WERA tool from the wife. The egg was just awesome.

It has been fantastic lately.

I've gone a bit overkill on fasteners...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I have that Wera screwdriver or one like it, pretty handy around the house. Mine is Wera green though.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I'm glad you like the new thread title. :3:

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Bonus safety princess content.

Working on bagging and tagging.

About here I realized my cell camera was dirty... oops.

So I started to mess with the AST delete kit I'm making.

Don't worry, still building the spread sheet and I'll link it for those who want to know my sources

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Safety princess needs to wear a helmet next to that many 2us stacked.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Admittedly, I had to google "AST". Didn't realize Mazda added air separator tanks to the FD, because FCs and SA/FBs certainly don't have them.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

the spyder posted:

Got this super cool WERA tool from the wife. The egg was just awesome.

Got that screwdriver a couple years ago, it eventually made its way to my general purpose grab-n-go toolkit and dang it's good.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
So that AST kit removes the big pos thermostat housing?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

NitroSpazzz posted:

Got that screwdriver a couple years ago, it eventually made its way to my general purpose grab-n-go toolkit and dang it's good.

Wait, they use that color for their stainless screwdrivers. Is that wera stainless? :o

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
More pics. Sadly had some bad news on the CYM Engine.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Well guys, I'm at an odd decision point.

1) The CYM engine needs either $3k in rebuild parts or for $4k I can buy a new OEM Mazda engine straight from the homeland. Add $2k for harness, gaskets, clutch. $6k
2) The 20B FD needs $8k in parts to make it a running, driving car.
3) The Porsche needs $15k to make it a running project.

The Porsche you say....

Last we looked at the Porsche, I had sourced a WRX Gearbox and ordered the Subaru Gears conversion kit. This was November. Today it arrived.

Ahahahahaha!

It fits. Mostly.

But it's so good. I can't stop smiling when I look at it.
Just ignore the body damage from the ice storm/tree fall, I am... :(

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

the spyder posted:

But it's so good. I can't stop smiling when I look at it.

You're not the only one. :fap:
All 911's should be powered by Doritos.

Regarding the CYM engine, what's the quality of the Mazda reman blocks? Are the REWs better than the MSPs? If so, then double the cost could be worth it but I still don't think those extra thousands buys you that much more vs the care and detail you would be putting into rebuilding the core you already have.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

McTinkerson posted:

You're not the only one. :fap:
All 911's should be powered by Doritos.

Regarding the CYM engine, what's the quality of the Mazda reman blocks? Are the REWs better than the MSPs? If so, then double the cost could be worth it but I still don't think those extra thousands buys you that much more vs the care and detail you would be putting into rebuilding the core you already have.

:3:

I would normally agree with you. In fact, up to this point I have always chosen rebuild vs new. The problem is, the cost of parts has gone up so significantly that by the time I account for my labor/robs time - it no longer makes sense to rebuild what I have. The price above is competition cost for a 100% new OEM engine. The $1k difference makes it hard to pass up. The existing engine was overheated, badly by the looks. Both rotor housings gone, rotor bearings have a super dull color to them, all plates have the "smile" in the nitrate, every seal/spring/oring needs replaced. For $1k, I'm "buying" my existing core for spare parts, ensuring I can keep these cars on the road years down the line. The plates are in good shape, same with the rotors and eshaft/oil pump/stat gears.

It's weird to be at this spot. I'm not sure how long mazda will continue to make these new engines, but they are the hot ticket right now.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

+1k for a new oem seems like a screaming deal.

Braaap 911 going to be boost or na?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Undecided. Turbo would quiet it down. But add heat load to an already difficult cooling situation.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Another thing to think about, if demand for the new engines remains high, it may factor into Mazdas decision-making on how long to continue to make them. Things are more likely to be discontinued sooner if demand drops...

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

kastein posted:

Another thing to think about, if demand for the new engines remains high, it may factor into Mazdas decision-making on how long to continue to make them. Things are more likely to be discontinued sooner if demand drops...

While this may be true (and I hope it is), the REW blocks are hand assembled in Japan by the same guys and gals who were building them in 1992 through 2002. I suspect attrition due to retirement might play more of a role than demand at this point.

I misread the original question and agree, that for an extra $1k, buy the reman block while you still can.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

:getin: YES

For $1k I'd be going with the 'new' block and holding onto the old as spares for future projects. It is good to hear Mazda is good with support for older stuff.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
First, I can't stop laughing like a small child over the stupidity of this swap.

Second, Oh boy are there *a lot* of things to sort out.

I'm very tempted to pause all of my other projects just to finish this up and make it run for summer.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Weekend picture dump:

Non car related:

the spyder fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 19, 2021

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Those are a lot of sump baffles.
:drat:

First batch of sump pans is full speed ahead? The dong is being fully embraced? Sold out already?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Oil pan update coming next week.

I'll leave you with Beeeeees!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

That looks like more than 20 bees.
:dadjoke:

Edit: or is that a whole bunch of 20 bees?

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
harig 612 in the background? nice grinder

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Maybe there are 787 beeees

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

no lube so what posted:

harig 612 in the background? nice grinder

Boyer Schultz 612- it’s a good little machine that needs some TLC.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

the spyder posted:

Boyer Schultz 612- it’s a good little machine that needs some TLC.

1) Cleaned the F up.
2) Wired for three phase
3) Chuck ground in
4) Maybe a 3d printed vacuum adapter to grab the dust.

5) Do this kinda stuff! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VwP1n3h6C4&t=1910s

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Wrar posted:

Maybe there are 787 beeees

No, that had 26 bees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation