Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
poll
This poll is closed.
answer 1 9 8.33%
answer 2 15 13.89%
answer 3 48 44.44%
answer 4 36 33.33%
Total: 108 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

So I just finished the story in MH Rise I think and it was such a non-ending but also very good because of just how happy every character is! I love this game and I'm happy I could finally find a MonHun game I can seriously get into! :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Rarity posted:

I've been thinking about this for a long time and I think chilli is the Dark Souls of food. No wait, here me out. It's got a super high difficulty level, chefs are now trying to put it in everything and if you fail you lose all your progress and have to start over. It totally fits

Chili is in no way, shape, or form the Dark Souls of anything, creating or consuming.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Dark Souls 2 is definitely the Dark Souls of Sequels....Does this count?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

bovis posted:

So I just finished the story in MH Rise I think and it was such a non-ending but also very good because of just how happy every character is! I love this game and I'm happy I could finally find a MonHun game I can seriously get into! :D
just to be clear, which ending are we talking about, the village ending and the credits are like, a third the way through the game currently if you mean that one

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Filling out the entire bingo card is the dark souls of games chat thread posting. Some of the squares seem really difficult at first (how am I supposed to eulogise the vita? I never had one!) and certain squares may come easier to some but more difficult for others, but with careful thought and effort and attention applied these challenges can be overcome. Even if you're stuck on a certain square, taking a break from it may result in having a flash of inspiration later when you're not expecting it. And most importantly, there is a strong and thriving community spirit and your fellow posters will always offer their aid should you need it. Thank you and praise the sun

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

VideoGames posted:

Dark Souls 2 is definitely the Dark Souls of Sequels....Does this count?
Sorry, but it's the sequel of Dark Souls, not the Dark Soul of sequels. It only works in one direction.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The Dark Souls of Dark Souls Sequels would need to be a game that is definitely challenging but also something that is hyped up as super challenging, almost unapproachable, when really it's just challenging and expects the player to learn from the game and adapt.

In this sense, I would argue that Bloodborne is the Dark Souls of sequels because while it is not a sequel to Dark Souls, it is very much a souls-style game made by the same developers and presented as an alternate take on the formula. Bloodborne specifically is designed to force players who are veterans of Dark Souls games to relearn the fighting system so that they are more aggressive, leaving the player without much in the way of sword & board combat and instead focusing on lots of dodging, aggressive switch-weapon combos, and support fire from your firearm.

Bloodborne is the Dark Souls of Dark Souls sequels.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Claptrap is the Dark Souls of video game mascots

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Bingo months are the dark souls of chat threads.

Everyone thinks they the greatest thing ever for all the wrong reasons

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

SeXReX posted:

this is the dark souls of posts

strong first half, mediocre second half

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Rarity posted:

Claptrap is the Dark Souls of video game mascots

I take offense to this. Unlike Claptrap, Dark Souls is good.

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

homeless snail posted:

just to be clear, which ending are we talking about, the village ending and the credits are like, a third the way through the game currently if you mean that one

Yeah I meant the village ending haha. I assumed there will be more in the hub, but wasn't sure how much there would be! Really happy if I get to see more silly interactions with the people of this village!

Also Magnamalo did not gently caress around. I think I had carted once in any of the hunts leading up to him but he got me twice!

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

From Software is the dark souls (of) game devs

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

SeXReX posted:

Perhaps chat bingo was the real enemy all along :thunkher:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Lol I just realised I dont even have that dark souls post on my bingo board :(

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Brushing up on optimal posting strats

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

A Shadow Man remaster?

That's a pretty clever april fools joke op

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Hunt11 posted:

That does raise a valid question. Just how horrifying would pokemon native to poke Australia be?

https://besjournals.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/2041-210X.13591

Apparently the only endemic poke is kangaskhan, so not very. I debated picking this paper for my statistics journal club next week, but apart from being about kangaskhan, it's actually not very interesting.

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

Had a run through of Binding of Isaac and I do still really love this game. With people recommending Enter the Gungeon though I do feel like I should give that game a fair shot sometime

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I tried it, but it just didn't click with me the way Isaac did. Honestly, I think a large part of it is that the art style really turned me off.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

bovis posted:

Had a run through of Binding of Isaac and I do still really love this game. With people recommending Enter the Gungeon though I do feel like I should give that game a fair shot sometime

Just play more Isaac

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Bingo hard mode true gamer style is not pulling a bingo card until the end of the month and then applying it to your regular posting.

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

I can't believe Pokemon Snap and Nier are coming out so soon... this year seems like another great year for games!! :D

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Holy moly! Forgot there was a remake of Nier coming out. When I have finished the From games that is something else to look forward to!

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

:sickos:

I keep getting reminded this game is coming and getting loving hyped for it.

I should go look at the Diamond/Pearl remake art again to temper my expectations back down to "it's cool, but don't get carried away" (and also laugh a lot)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It's just a remaster, I think. They spiffed it up a bit for the PC release.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Cardiovorax posted:

It's just a remaster, I think. They spiffed it up a bit for the PC release.

Bit more than that, for us in the west.

This Nier version will only have Brother Nier, while the only one we got in the west back then was Dad Nier.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Cant keep track of all these niers

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Whizzing Wizard posted:

A Shadow Man remaster?

That's a pretty clever april fools joke op

you know what the guy constantly talks about and what gives him the power to defeat the big bad?

Dark Souls, before they were cool!

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I'm really really excited for new pokemon snap! It's my animal crossing of 2021, in that I am heavily anticipating its release but will forget about it after a month of over-playing it.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

New Super Metis posted:

I'm really really excited for new pokemon snap! It's my animal crossing of 2021, in that I am heavily anticipating its release but will forget about it after a month of over-playing it.

:hai: hell yes.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

fridge corn posted:

Cant keep track of all these niers

It's nierly too much

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Pokemon Snap is a game I've always wanted to play but never had the opportunity to. I do lots of real-life animal photography already, a game that lets me photograph more and stranger animals is right up my alley.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So is the Nier game just the Young Nier version of the first one that was previously Japan exclusive or is it something new?

Also when is the new Pokémon Snap coming out again?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Larryb posted:

So is the Nier game just the Young Nier version of the first one that was previously Japan exclusive or is it something new?
No, it's just the Young Nier version of the original near, with some remastering.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

karmicknight posted:

:sickos:

I keep getting reminded this game is coming and getting loving hyped for it.

I should go look at the Diamond/Pearl remake art again to temper my expectations back down to "it's cool, but don't get carried away" (and also laugh a lot)

Weird that a really cool looking art style would make you think that

Mothmansplainer
Apr 2, 2020

I'm excited about videogames

EDIT: not an april fools day prank

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
MGS4: Important egg update, Sunny is not loving them up! :toot:

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Speaking of games I'm not buying when they come out (NieR), let's see how Wugglesquest is going!

:siren: WUGGLES BACKLOG ADVENTURE APRIL UPDATE :siren:

You'd have to be a fool...haha...to agree to something like this!

Thanks to some success with Wattam and Gato Roboto I was able to pump my numbers up in April March. The council* ruled that Fire Emblem 1 doesn't count as a purchase since it was free with Nintendo gold coins, but I did buy MonHun this month. I'll buy Pokemon Snap as well, but that'll be it for a while as I clear off some of these backlog games.

I started back up with Murder By Numbers, and its second case is way more interesting than its first. By now, the rapport between Scout and Honor has developed, and they're really fun to have together. I'd still like more picross in the picross:Ace Attorney mixture, but it's better than Case 1.

I'm about halfway through Gravity Rush Remastered. I would like to say I'll knock it out over our Spring Break that starts tomorrow, but...Monster Hunter.

Finally, having a week off is making me think about playing a "big game." I've said Dark Souls 2, but I'm actually thinking about Persona 5 Royal since I'm already halfway through it. I played up to Futaba and then shelved it when 13 Sentinels came out last year.

Anyway, here's the spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13IEArcKturd2dCcN2MSRhIeneg6E8JUa-3AwqWcYeK4/edit?usp=sharing

* people on Discord

wuggles fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Apr 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Also both Wattam and Gato Roboto are GOTY list contenders, those games fuckin ruled