Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Shipon posted:

Got around to buying the CRJ and trying the tutorial fight from Paderborn to Munich. Took about an hour to figure out how to start and set up the thing, and the ILS glideslope tried slamming me straight into the ground, but I managed to land in one piece! Also, the thrust reversers really do not like the X52 config - I had to hold down the F2 key on the keyboard to avoid turning off the thrust reversers on landing.

Hell of a lot more involved than the A320, that's for sure. Also, glad that they rolled back that horrid performance issue from the recent update. It's still not great but I'll take a solid 35 FPS at 1440p ultrawide ultra settings instead of 10 FPS.
There's a bug with the glideslope. I was watching a youtube video and the dude just turned off AP and and turned it back on and it seemed to catch the GS again. Also there's some options for setting up the throttle on the ipad. One of them is for setting a reverser axis vs button. I bought it this weekend too, and it is very nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

My throttle quadrant is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. I am excite.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

bird with big dick posted:

My throttle quadrant is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. I am excite.

Same. This guys video seems to do a good job for configuring. And I believe the bug he mentions in the video has now been resolved: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAVicVzF0Po

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
The +10 scroll bug? No I think it's still there per the forums.

It's on the latest Feb list to be fixed in... "2021"

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Zero One posted:

The +10 scroll bug? No I think it's still there per the forums.

It's on the latest Feb list to be fixed in... "2021"

Oh goddamn...er I think the issue from the honeycomb quadrant was the 2nd lever wasn't registering at all or something. Either way will report back when it arrives.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

It isn't fixed.

The only solution I've found is this: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/heading-increment-bug-10-degree-instead-of-1-explained/290173
Even with the stuff pre-made on the google drive, it took me quite awhile to bind stuff the way I wanted. It's a huge pain in the rear end and they've moved the outlook on an official fix to "2021." Once I got it set up, it works exactly how it should without lovely behaviors, but it really takes a lot of tinkering that I hoped would be in my rearview when I moved to MS2020. Running 2-3 extra programs just to get one minor thing to work seems to be a Flight Sim staple, though.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Still waiting on accurate bear movement though. And proper bird flocking tech. Those need to be priority one.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

soggybagel posted:

Oh goddamn...er I think the issue from the honeycomb quadrant was the 2nd lever wasn't registering at all or something. Either way will report back when it arrives.

Only three of the levers are bound in the default controls which is really annoying.

sigher fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Mar 31, 2021

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

sigher posted:

Only three of the levers are bound in the default controls which is really annoying.

That is an issue too. I'm not 100% sure how the Bravo throttle is bound by default, but it still took some extra tinkering - 'second' lever not being bound aside - to get it how I wanted it. The switches also do lights, so if you have the alpha those can be bound to something else. It's not all that bad with the binding profile system to build out a profile for a few variations of single engine planes, a twin-jet, etc, but it absolutely sucks doing it with Joystick gremlin +Vjoy to fix the +10 increment bug, which is a shame. The Alpha+Bravo is an absolute joy when its working right.

e: There also looks to be a few things that might plague it with third parties. For example, in the CRJ, I can't use the analogue flaps lever because the range goes from about 0-20 and makes it extremely hard to find a flap setting, so I have to use the up/down flaps switch. Not a big deal, but I could see some payware planes doing weird things with flaps, reversers, speed brakes, etc, that could sort of fight the way the Bravo is bound. I'd hope they'd figure these out since the Honeycomb items are popular, but just another gentle warning regardless. Not to sound down on it - I love it, but it doesn't come free of set-up and tinkering.

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Mar 31, 2021

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

soggybagel posted:

Still waiting on accurate bear movement though. And proper bird flocking tech. Those need to be priority one.

What's actually funny sad, is that one of the great "achievements" that the devs focused on, for the this last world update, was the completely unnecessary "wear sliders" and the ability to "shift" the CG. An inside source for one of the first-party partners, who specializes in flight mechanics, said they pleaded with Asobo to not include it because of how loving stupid and confusing it would be to the user base, but they insisted on it anyway even after repeated attempts to show real-world examples that parasite drag and CoG, as they modeled it, has pretty much no affect on the aircraft performance or flight dynamics.

i am kiss u now fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Mar 31, 2021

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I've been following the FBW discord to get the latest updates and see what they are working on. But boy are there some people posting there who should not be attempting to fly a super realistic airliner before getting some basics down.

For example: someone came into the Discord to complain about a bug where their plane was flying 15 degrees nose up at 10,000 feet and 250kt with full thrust and unable to climb further. A dev asked them to post a screenshot of their cockpit and they did... and it showed a ECAMS screen full of warnings including engine and wing icing. I know that FS2020 has icing bugs but if the plane is telling you to turn on anti-icing maybe try that before complaining on Discord.

Then a funny one: Another person was paying attention to their ECAMS and got a Master Warning for cabin pressure. He tried following the messages to fix it and also tried switching to manual pressure control but that didn't help. Eventually he posted a screenshot after he found the issue: the rear door was wide open in flight.

Now one from me: I got the Thrustmaster Airbus stick and throttle yesterday. I did a test flight and it seemed to be going OK. But all of a sudden in cruise I got an Overspeed warning and the barberpole on the speed tape dropped to an incredibly low airspeed. It turned out my flaps and spoilers had fully deployed on their own. I started poking around and found that it happened every time I paused the game. I think somehow the throttle is sending commands for the spoilers and flaps even though I don't have that add-on hardware. Removing the keybinds fixed the issue.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Zero One posted:

I started poking around and found that it happened every time I paused the game. I think somehow the throttle is sending commands for the spoilers and flaps even though I don't have that add-on hardware. Removing the keybinds fixed the issue.
I never bothered to investigate this issue, I just don't pause. Thank you!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'm trying to understand what the graphics engine actually does. Due to this ReBAR poo poo on NVidia, I've been trying various games and things. Eventually I flew over open ocean, no land in sight, still 45 fps, on external view. I mean how? There's barely anything in geometry.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You didn't take into account that they are rendering every whale, and fish, and crab, and whatnot.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm trying to understand what the graphics engine actually does. Due to this ReBAR poo poo on NVidia, I've been trying various games and things. Eventually I flew over open ocean, no land in sight, still 45 fps, on external view. I mean how? There's barely anything in geometry.

Welcome to flight sims where everyone still does everything via CPU, and only occasionally tells the graphics card to actually draw anything.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

You can turn on the FPS measuring doohickey in the dev tools. There you will be able to find out that the reason your game runs like poo poo is because most of your gauges are individual tabs of chrome written in the dumbest way physically possible to mankind.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Combat Pretzel posted:

If you're flying anything other than the handful of steam-gauge planes then it's probably CoherentUI taking a giant poo poo on your performance

DUDE HTML5 COCKPIT LOL

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Lol the VFR map icon is worth 10 fps

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/still-stutters-and-poor-fps-after-the-1-14-6-0-update/384467/100?u=omarsmak

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

The game is hard-CPU-bound to around 45-60 fps. You can turn on a performance monitor window (dev tools in the settings page) and see that the game runs four threads, and the one called MainThread never gets any quicker than about 15-20 milliseconds no matter your hardware. Whatever poo poo they're doing in there is what's slowing you down.

Obviously you can also be GPU bound, as in my case where I'm attempting to run the game at 3440x1440 on a 1060 because nVidia won't make enough loving graphics cards. I am GPU bound to about 25fps in most situations, but MainThread is still waiting in the wings at 15.8ms to lock me to slightly over 60 whenever I upgrade.

This is why people are looking forward to the DX12 engine update. Processor single-thread performance has basically plateaued so it's hoped that the increased multithreading support in DX12 will let MainThread be split off into parallel tasks. I have 12 real processor cores and right now in FS2020 more than half of them are just idling. Ugh.

e: also please make more steam gauge planes thanks.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Mar 31, 2021

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

e: also please make more steam gauge planes thanks.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

I mean the longer and more in the weeds I get into flight sims and general aviation flying in general the more you see how up their own asses most people are. You look at any flight sim game footage and all the comments are like "I was cringing the entire time you were flying because (insert some reason why this was not realistic or you had your flaps down the whole time etc)."

And then when you watch almost any accident review or something its just comments making GBS threads on everything the pilot did wrong and why they're stupid. Its just really funny because its such an old man hobby for the most part so all you get is cranky old men. And yeah once you lean into war plane flight sims you get the war nerds who we've highlighted in the past here. The war nerds who are pissed because the nose art is one pixel wrong.

Its like, big game breaking bugs are not okay and are inexcusable. But its so funny to see what sets off the flight sim freaks when it comes to little things. I watched a bunch of reviews of the honeycomb throttle quadrant and some of them are very funny because they're like, 45 minute videos that ultimately come down to "yeah its pretty good."

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

soggybagel posted:

I mean the longer and more in the weeds I get into flight sims and general aviation flying in general the more you see how up their own asses most people are.

And yeah once you lean into war plane flight sims you get the war nerds who we've highlighted in the past here. The war nerds who are pissed because the nose art is one pixel wrong.

My favorite Flight Sim Community story ever remains the Spitfire in Il-2 Cliffs of Dover.

Everyone knows that the early Spitfire models had a gravity-feed carburetor that didn't work properly in negative-G maneuvers. If you nosed over for too long, the fuel flow would stop and the engine would chug and eventually die. This behavior has been modeled in most simulated Spitfires.

When Il-2 CLOD came out, within a couple of days there was a massive outcry on the developer forums. The Spitfire negative-G behavior is wrong!! The engine cuts out way too early and far too dramatically! Oh, woe! I have ten thousand hours in simulated Spitfires and now all my airquake kill ratios are going to be screwed up because nothing is right!! I can't believe the developers would be so careless and get something so simple so wrong!! Zero stars, I want a refund!!!

Then after about five days and a hundred pages of teeth-gnashing, one of the developers posted in the forum that, in the course of developing the game, they had actually hired a real survivor Spitfire and a pilot and fitted it with instruments and gone up and tested a bunch of maneuvers. The new game modeled the fuel cutout behavior more accurately than any other simulation ever. Everyone else was just guessing based on RAF pilots' anecdotes; this was the first time it had been done right. They even had photos of the specific plane and pilot as proof.

:thumbsup:

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Combat Pretzel posted:

Are you watching your GPU load? I noticed at some point that MSFS wasn't actually using my GPU and had to flip some switches in nVidia control center to make it do so.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Not sure if this is an early April Fools but...

This was posted to Navigraph's Facebook.

quote:

Navigraph acquires SimBrief

Navigraph, the flight simulation community’s trusted source for updated charts and navigational data, today announced that it has acquired SimBrief, the flight simulation community’s most popular flight planning software.

The acquisition is a natural progression of the already close collaboration between Navigraph and SimBrief. It builds on the integration between the two platforms existing since 2013 and provides the ability to do flight planning using up to date navigational data.

SimBrief’s flight planning functionality will continue to be free. Users who want to use the most current navigational data can subscribe to Navigraph and unlock the AIRAC cycles in SimBrief, as before.
“SimBrief founder Derek has done an outstanding job creating a flight planning service which the flight simulation community loves.” says Magnus Axholt, CEO and co-founder of Navigraph. “We plan to integrate SimBrief and Navigraph even further and enable additional functionality to SimBrief using the data and resources Navigraph has available.”
“Derek will play a key role as we develop some of the features in the next generation Navigraph Charts product. With the powerful combination of his real world aviation background and software development experience, Derek is a very welcome member of our skilled and multi-disciplinary Navigraph Development Team.
“We shall make SimBrief’s flight planning functionality even more accessible to developers in the community by structuring the SimBrief API together with Navigraph APIs in the upcoming Navigraph Developer Portal.” Magnus summarizes.

"Navigraph has been a strong SimBrief supporter from the very beginning.” Derek adds. “I have always enjoyed working with them to improve the integration between the two services. This very much feels like a natural progression, and I am excited to be a part of the team going forward.”
He goes on to say, "I'm confident that Navigraph's resources and experienced development team will not only help ensure that SimBrief remains available to the community for years to come, but also make for some exciting new features and improvements that wouldn't otherwise be possible.”
"I have been both humbled and incredibly grateful for the support the community has shown me since I launched SimBrief nearly eight years ago, and I'm looking forward to this next chapter in SimBrief's development." says Derek in closing.

SimBrief will continue to operate under the name SimBrief, but with the tag line “by Navigraph”.

Edit: It's apparently legit, Navigraph later responded: "Yeah. we were also a little concerned about announcing this so close to 1st of April"

JayKay fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Mar 31, 2021

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Sagebrush posted:

When Il-2 CLOD came out, within a couple of days there was a massive outcry on the developer forums. The Spitfire negative-G behavior is wrong!! The engine cuts out way too early and far too dramatically! Oh, woe! I have ten thousand hours in simulated Spitfires and now all my airquake kill ratios are going to be screwed up because nothing is right!! I can't believe the developers would be so careless and get something so simple so wrong!! Zero stars, I want a refund!!!

Then after about five days and a hundred pages of teeth-gnashing, one of the developers posted in the forum that, in the course of developing the game, they had actually hired a real survivor Spitfire and a pilot and fitted it with instruments and gone up and tested a bunch of maneuvers. The new game modeled the fuel cutout behavior more accurately than any other simulation ever. Everyone else was just guessing based on RAF pilots' anecdotes; this was the first time it had been done right. They even had photos of the specific plane and pilot as proof.

So did any of the psychos eat crow or were they like "well its still weird."

That has real Chuck Yeager on twitter vibes where people would come in hot on a topic and or question with him and he'd just be like "no, thats now how it went."

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I remember reading ITT or the DCS thread that IL2 CLOD fans before release were demanding weird poo poo like being able to herd cows with planes because some pilots did it for fun sometimes, vegetation and crops that would dynamically change over time, and for a fully working engine simulation, as in every piston and part was actually being modeled in real time.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

skooma512 posted:

I remember reading ITT or the DCS thread that IL2 CLOD fans before release were demanding weird poo poo like being able to herd cows with planes because some pilots did it for fun sometimes, vegetation and crops that would dynamically change over time, and for a fully working engine simulation, as in every piston and part was actually being modeled in real time.

ngl would love for flight sims to highlight some of those weird things people did, though that's something I'd prefer to see in Plane Mechanic Sim, repairing damage done due to uncooperative cattle.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

soggybagel posted:

So did any of the psychos eat crow or were they like "well its still weird."

That has real Chuck Yeager on twitter vibes where people would come in hot on a topic and or question with him and he'd just be like "no, thats now how it went."

Well, the easy defense would be my first thought: is there any reason to trust the spitfire they got and did test flights in is performing now, 80 years later, exactly as it did fresh off the assembly line?

But of course, I have no reason to trust other flight sims on this either.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

JayKay posted:

Edit: It's apparently legit, Navigraph later responded: "Yeah. we were also a little concerned about announcing this so close to 1st of April"

yeah, I got this announcement as an email.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

JayKay posted:

Seems like it makes sense.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

It makes sense Navigraph would acquire sim brief, as they are the only two tools/websites in existence in 2021 that seem to perpetually lose my saved login and require me to sign in almost every time I use them.

(But no that’s probably cool and seems like it should be a good move for the tools.)

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

ngl would love for flight sims to highlight some of those weird things people did, though that's something I'd prefer to see in Plane Mechanic Sim, repairing damage done due to uncooperative cattle.

I mean, I did chuckle at this shot in the recent DCS trailer

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
You have 3 free flight plans remaining this month (Upgrade now: 30% off!)

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

My favorite Flight Sim Community story ever remains the Spitfire in Il-2 Cliffs of Dover.

Everyone knows that the early Spitfire models had a gravity-feed carburetor that didn't work properly in negative-G maneuvers. If you nosed over for too long, the fuel flow would stop and the engine would chug and eventually die. This behavior has been modeled in most simulated Spitfires.

The flight sim community makes goons seem well adjusted.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I just tested this out for myself and yeah, it legitimately bumped my frames from 50~ maxed out on the tarmac to 60. loving lol, no other "setting" has given me such a performance boost in the graphics settings. Ridiculous.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Some tiny part of me loves this, because it wants to eke out every bit of performance and this is such an easy gain.

The rest of me is baffled that this works. :aaa:

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

soggybagel posted:

I mean the longer and more in the weeds I get into flight sims and general aviation flying in general the more you see how up their own asses most people are. You look at any flight sim game footage and all the comments are like "I was cringing the entire time you were flying because (insert some reason why this was not realistic or you had your flaps down the whole time etc)."

And then when you watch almost any accident review or something its just comments making GBS threads on everything the pilot did wrong and why they're stupid. Its just really funny because its such an old man hobby for the most part so all you get is cranky old men. And yeah once you lean into war plane flight sims you get the war nerds who we've highlighted in the past here. The war nerds who are pissed because the nose art is one pixel wrong.

Its like, big game breaking bugs are not okay and are inexcusable. But its so funny to see what sets off the flight sim freaks when it comes to little things. I watched a bunch of reviews of the honeycomb throttle quadrant and some of them are very funny because they're like, 45 minute videos that ultimately come down to "yeah its pretty good."

I've been trying to figure out DCS so I've been watching tons of videos and the one thing that really stuck with me was that most of the sim pilots all took it insanely seriously (especially in the comments, filled with "well akshually...") but then you watch the people who actually fly these things do poo poo like run into eachother with glee, take off from taxiways while giggling like maniacs, and basically just having a blast doing everything they were never allowed to do in real life. The contrast is amazing.

like this, which made me laugh quite loudly several times (for reference, the guy is/was an actual F18/F16 pilot):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kA2-ikfb8SY

Steadiman fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Apr 1, 2021

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

jammyozzy posted:

Some tiny part of me loves this, because it wants to eke out every bit of performance and this is such an easy gain.

The rest of me is baffled that this works. :aaa:
Wait, removing a loving icon on the toolbar = +10fps?

The gently caress is going on?

--edit:
Oh dear god, one guy is going all :byoscience: in that thread, claiming that downloading photogrammetry and generating geometry and rendering it is a purely sequential task, and things like ATC depend on it, and that's why the framerate is so poo poo.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Apr 1, 2021

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Wait, removing a loving icon on the toolbar = +10fps?

The gently caress is going on?

--edit:
Oh dear god, one guy is going all :byoscience: in that thread, claiming that downloading photogrammetry and generating geometry and rendering it is a purely sequential task, and things like ATC depend on it, and that's why the framerate is so poo poo.

Just for clarity, we're talking about just the icon being present and not having the actual map open?

What.The.gently caress

Edit: I also like the guy who was preaching about putting the cache/pagefile/poop on your fastest drive. By showing how much faster his NVMe is compared to an SSD. No poo poo sherlock.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The map icon doesn't do anything for me.