Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Kagrenac posted:

The difference in power between a good and bad charm is absolutely massive compared to old games and some skills can only be found on talismans and don't have any decorations available.

Instead of having 1 skill and some points towards another you can have 2-3 levels in 2 of the best skills. A "decent" talisman isn't just missing some points towards crit eye, it's missing 2-3 skill levels.

Having 3 slots let you get 5 points towards a skill when you generally needed 10 and you might need to spend a slot balancing out the negative points from getting a skill via decorations. Having a lvl 3 slot now gives you an entire skill level of the best skills and you can also have a lvl 2+1 or 2 lvl 1 slots on top of that depending on how good your charms skills are.

It's also much more of a grind to get a decent talisman since normal hunts/mining don't shower you in charms like they used to. At best you can get 5 charms per quest if you constantly grind rampages and throw the tickets into the melding pot, throwing all the parts from a normal hunt into it generally won't even let you get 5 charms.

I mean that's all correct but if this is the thing players grind when they've gone through all of LR and HR then why does it matter? It's bad design but there's no reason to engage in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"
I broke out the Ludroth LBG for the village Basarios quest last night and god drat LBG is amazing in this game. I started playing it in GU because pierce was hilariously good but between the wirebug grenades, moving shots/reloads and the powerslide with evade extender LBG feels like cheating.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

For charms is there still an option to dump off my useless charms for more charms?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Electric Phantasm posted:

For charms is there still an option to dump off my useless charms for more charms?

Yes you get a rebirth option that takes 20 charms into 3 new charms that has worse odds than the regular 5 random charms one.

It’s pretty bad but it’s there.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Harrow posted:

Combine that with the fact that you can animation cancel out of the Tornado Slash/Tetraseal Slash end lag with the "call back kinsect" button and insect glaive is pretty :discourse: this time around

Feels like Rise made almost every weapon better and that rules

Hell yeah this is awesome. Thanks for the posts!!

I'm keeping an eye on the poll there and there are a dozen Stickbugs now. Which is cool and good, I'm having a lot of fun with it. But the next weapon I was eyeing to try is Longsword and its 2nd least popular. Is that for a good reason or is it worth picking up?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Just when I thought I was getting the hang of gunlance, I got my rear end thoroughly kicked by Mizutsune in the urgent quest to get to 6* hub. I went through about a dozen join requests before finally clearing, and I was only responsible for failing about half of those :v:

Fortunately for me, it seemed like most people were having at least some difficulty with that particular quest, so I don't feel too singled out. But something about the way that monster moves just made it really hard for me to get a read with the incredibly slow gunlance. I hardly ever landed any wyrmstakes, and it seemed like more often than not I would get one-shot while reloading. That water beam attack is also a doozy, though if I got my shield up in time then I only took about half a potion's worth of chip damage.

Towards the end I was mostly just poking at it with my shield up, too afraid to commit to a stake unless it was stunned. The group I beat it with had a crazy spinning ninja on the insect glaive and somebody using what looked like an orbital strike of red lasers. I kept getting hit by the lasers and losing stamina, but I survived by focusing on staying alive instead of trying to keep up on damage. Not my proudest moment, but I just really wanted to get to the third tier of switch skill quests so I could finally try the gunlance's guard reload

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Buddy, you should know that you can choose the target you’re locked on with the right joystick, right? It absolutely lets you cycle from tail body or head. Maybe even arms if it’s big enough. As DB it’s great to keep focus on the tail.

You gotta enable focus camera in options somewhere first. The only thing annoying about it is that it’ll cycle through all monsters (wether they’re near or on the other side of the map) before disabling. It’s also really bad in Ranpage because again you’re not focusing on what’s closest to you, it goes off the monster list icons on the top right.

EDIT: From the training dummy, it has 2 target zones

https://twitter.com/jacsnoodleboy/status/1377598065276686344?s=21

what the actual gently caress why didn't i know about this:stonk:

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I am fully hooked on this game now, last night as I was going to sleep I worked on memorizing the different follow-ups to groundpounds for hunting horn in my head.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Hell yeah this is awesome. Thanks for the posts!!

I'm keeping an eye on the poll there and there are a dozen Stickbugs now. Which is cool and good, I'm having a lot of fun with it. But the next weapon I was eyeing to try is Longsword and its 2nd least popular. Is that for a good reason or is it worth picking up?

Long sword is really good and strong. It has a bit of a negative reputation online because a) it's really popular, and b) the big, wide slashes can trip other players and knock them out of their combos. If you play LS online, it's recommended to stick to vertical attacks when you're near other players and make sure you have ample space for your wide swings when it's time for that.

LS is really, really strong in Rise so it's a good time to pick it up if you're interested in it. If you like counters/parries you're in for a good time.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Stop recommending LS we don’t need more LS online :negative:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'll make up for it by playing hunting horn, I promise

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

LS hate is overhyped. I don't have any LS friends and Im still getting tripped and bumped all the time.

e: Y'all just want to pin your sins on poor LS users.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Speaking of weapon usage, are there any wyverians in game that tell you weapon use rates like in the other games/

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Speaking of weapon usage, are there any wyverians in game that tell you weapon use rates like in the other games/

You can just check your guild card.

Or was there more to the Wyverian thing?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I got the credits in village last night and noticed for the first time that Hinoa and Minoto only have four fingers on each hand :stare:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I got the credits in village last night and noticed for the first time that Hinoa and Minoto only have four fingers on each hand :stare:

yeah they're wyverians

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Oxyclean posted:

You can just check your guild card.

Or was there more to the Wyverian thing?

It said the weapon use % of all players, not just your own.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Star posted:

It said the weapon use % of all players, not just your own.

Ohhhh, yeah that'd be super neat to see for this game.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Johnny Joestar posted:

yeah they're wyverians

I'm a MH noob. I'm assuming wyverians are like dragon people and that's why they have pointy ears and stuff

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

they're supposedly maybe distantly related to wyverns in a way as like a long-branching evolutionary path and are kinda like weird elves for the setting and have pointy ears, 4 fingers and toes on each limb and they basically live forever and will get smaller and more gremlin-ish looking over time as they get older. it's why 'first wyverians' and other old-timers are little gremlin weirdos.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

playable wyverians when

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Unskippable cutscenes in 20182021. What in tarnation.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Qubee posted:

Unskippable cutscenes in 20182021. What in tarnation.

You can skip them, just hold +.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
they also got weird looking feet

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

You can skip them, just hold +.

Qubee's playing World and I think that one has unskippable monster cutscenes IIRC

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Kagrenac posted:

The difference in power between a good and bad charm is absolutely massive compared to old games and some skills can only be found on talismans and don't have any decorations available.

Instead of having 1 skill and some points towards another you can have 2-3 levels in 2 of the best skills. A "decent" talisman isn't just missing some points towards crit eye, it's missing 2-3 skill levels.

Having 3 slots let you get 5 points towards a skill when you generally needed 10 and you might need to spend a slot balancing out the negative points from getting a skill via decorations. Having a lvl 3 slot now gives you an entire skill level of the best skills and you can also have a lvl 2+1 or 2 lvl 1 slots on top of that depending on how good your charms skills are.

It's also much more of a grind to get a decent talisman since normal hunts/mining don't shower you in charms like they used to. At best you can get 5 charms per quest if you constantly grind rampages and throw the tickets into the melding pot, throwing all the parts from a normal hunt into it generally won't even let you get 5 charms.

Mad?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Harrow posted:

Qubee's playing World and I think that one has unskippable monster cutscenes IIRC

drat, I got excited for a second there.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

Everything is unskippable and it makes making a new file a pain :negative: It's like an hour of cutscenes before you can start hunting.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I don't think I'm gonna care about the talisman grind that much. As long as I can get the functional skills I need, bonuses are whatever. For me that's crucial stuff like Guard and Guard Up (which is now three levels??).

But I'm taking my time and I probably won't hit HR6 until this weekend or so, much less HR7. All the armor seems to have insane amounts of slots in general and I can't even make most of the decos yet so I'm looking forward to seeing what I can actually be capable of in endgame.

Also Rampage is fun with friends, so if I have to do it a lot whatever. I'll gladly take it over Zorah Magdoros any day.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Is there any kind of Artillery skill in this game by the way? Making a Gunlance finally, in HR6 and havent seen any skill that affects shell damage. If so, awesome, I'll just use Guard and sharpness skills

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

In Training posted:

Is there any kind of Artillery skill in this game by the way? Making a Gunlance finally, in HR6 and havent seen any skill that affects shell damage. If so, awesome, I'll just use Guard and sharpness skills

The high rank Rhenopolos armor has Artillery on it.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Is there a list of skills that are talisman only? I know a bunch of gunner skills are, but that's it.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Further dumbass questions from the MH n00b. Is it generally better to wear all my armor from a single set for the resistance bonus, or to mix and match?

Couple pages back but I figured I'd touch on this - Like mentioned the only 'set bonuses' are just resistance boosts, of which even a few points can be a significant difference. The thing to also keep in mind is that compared to World, the armor sets are themed extremely well in their ability sets. The Jyura armor is like the platonic ideal of the core of a Charge Blade build. Barioth has Greatsword written all over it, Pukei and Wroggi are both bow/bowgun armors. Barroth is like peak Lance, ect. You can mix and match as much as you want and fill in with decos too, but if you are someone who focuses on one type of weapon you can't go wrong with the associated monster sets.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
Man, remember charm tables? We've come a long way.

I really wish this game had transmutes so I could always make my GS the Wyvern's Perch. I love the image of just bashing a mon with a big ol' log, but it's such a bad weapon other than how it looks.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Anja set seems tailor made for hammer since it has skills that reduce steady stamina consumption, makes charge go faster and makes it easier to stun enemies. I just need that drat plate

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I really like how themed the armor sets are in this and I sorta wonder why they don't always do that. It's still more optimal to mix and match armor pieces to get a perfect build, but I think it's a really good thing that a player can make a full set and get something that's still Pretty Good instead of just a sort of jumble of skills.

I do wonder how strong a late-game rampage skill (called Ibushi Soul) is. It's available on a specific series of weapons, the Azure Elder weapons, and increases attack power based on how many pieces of the same armor set you're wearing.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

DeathSandwich posted:

Couple pages back but I figured I'd touch on this - Like mentioned the only 'set bonuses' are just resistance boosts, of which even a few points can be a significant difference. The thing to also keep in mind is that compared to World, the armor sets are themed extremely well in their ability sets. The Jyura armor is like the platonic ideal of the core of a Charge Blade build. Barioth has Greatsword written all over it, Pukei and Wroggi are both bow/bowgun armors. Barroth is like peak Lance, ect. You can mix and match as much as you want and fill in with decos too, but if you are someone who focuses on one type of weapon you can't go wrong with the associated monster sets.

Sucks that the hunting horn armor is the kula set from the beginning of the game. I’ve decided to make the nargacuga set just because I’m tired of looking like an extra from the Aladdin stage play.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Is the only way to get ramp-up tickets to do rampages? I don't really like doing them but I guess if I did them multi it might be better

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Special mention to the high-rank Alloy set, with maxed-out Speed Sharpening, Crit Eye 4, and a level of Protective Polish. Is it super strong? No. Is it fun to have a super sharp weapon all the time always? Yup.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Is the only way to get ramp-up tickets to do rampages? I don't really like doing them but I guess if I did them multi it might be better

Definitely do them in multiplayer. I hate rampages solo but they're the fun sort of chaotic in multiplayer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Yeah the village rampages don't even give red checkmarks to soothe that completionist part of your brain since it's all random, so there's literally no reason to do them by yourself unless the game forces you.