Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Magnetic North posted:

Am I reading Strixhaven Stadium correctly in that if you get in with 10 creatures at once, they lose? That kinda means they all gained Infect in a sort of strange way, in which case I expect lots of complaints from bad EDH players.

Yes, that's correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I love everything about the juliet and juliet card

Sucks it wont see any play

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
also honestly the stadium card seems like the only real "clearly a harry potter reference" card so far so im fine with it

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Can I get three attacks in on different players then tap/untap the Stadium to win the game in EDH? The wording isn't super clear there.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Dias posted:

Can I get three attacks in on different players then tap/untap the Stadium to win the game in EDH? The wording isn't super clear there.

Yes, if you can untap the stadium at instant speed 9 times per player than you can do that.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Qwertycoatl posted:

Yes, if you can untap the stadium at instant speed 9 times per player than you can do that.

Sounds like a play from the training ground, as they say

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Qwertycoatl posted:

Ah, on second read I see that the lose the game effect is tied to combat damage, so I dunno if you can actually clear the table, I was thinking about using it as an alt wincon for Krenko.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If you hit one player with 28 different creatures, and two other players with one creature each, you can stack all the triggers in such a way that they all lose.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

mandatory lesbian posted:

I'm imagining the lady on the left is from swamp punk house and is telling the Lorehold person "be gay, do crimes"

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Jabor posted:

If you hit one player with 28 different creatures, and two other players with one creature each, you can stack all the triggers in such a way that they all lose.

I don't read it that way. To me it reads that you'd resolve the first trigger, put a 29th counter on and then with "ten or more" counters you would "remove them all" and the player would lose, leaving it with 0 counters when the next trigger goes to resolve.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

ilmucche posted:

I don't read it that way. To me it reads that you'd resolve the first trigger, put a 29th counter on and then with "ten or more" counters you would "remove them all" and the player would lose, leaving it with 0 counters when the next trigger goes to resolve.

Obviously 10 of them need first strike, 10 of them need no strike rules and 10 of them need last strike.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

ilmucche posted:

When your attacking creatures damage three players at once, you put 30 triggers on the stack in an order you choose.
You choose (top to bottom of stack):
10 against player 1 (kills player 1)
9 against player 1 (still gains counters because they're your triggers and they don't target the now-gone player 1)
1 against player 2 (kills player 2)
9 against player 1
1 against player 3 (kills player 3)

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

also honestly the stadium card seems like the only real "clearly a harry potter reference" card so far so im fine with it

i actually feel like the acceptance letter is this, and that the stadium is just a blood sport with no relation to quidditch, since there isn't a mechanic that arbitrarily puts 15 counters on it

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
an even better foil against Stomp!

Creature - Bird Illusion

Flying

When ~ becomes the target of a spell, sacrifice it.

When ~ dies, learn.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Qwertycoatl posted:

When your attacking creatures damage three players at once, you put 30 triggers on the stack in an order you choose.
You choose (top to bottom of stack):
10 against player 1 (kills player 1)
9 against player 1 (still gains counters because they're your triggers and they don't target the now-gone player 1)
1 against player 2 (kills player 2)
9 against player 1
1 against player 3 (kills player 3)

Ah fair, did not read that right and thought it was only a few creatures going in

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Well i, never!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

ungulateman posted:

i actually feel like the acceptance letter is this, and that the stadium is just a blood sport with no relation to quidditch, since there isn't a mechanic that arbitrarily puts 15 counters on it

Quandrix mages tried!

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Boooooo!

Goa Tse-tung posted:

an even better foil against Stomp!

Creature - Bird Illusion

Flying

When ~ becomes the target of a spell, sacrifice it.

When ~ dies, learn.

This card seems fine but definitely feels like they could have pushed it a bit more for a rare.

fadam fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Apr 1, 2021

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

It's kind of good with Narset, besides that casting it at sorcery speed usually means they still get one card and you would then have access to blue's card draw. Otherwise good!

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Patronus bird

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Wait, are college sports a harry potter reference now?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

A Moose posted:

College sports, letters of acceptance, professors, wearing glasses...

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I’m still waiting for my references to Real Genius, Back to School, Animal House, or Revenge of the Nerds (minus the rape)

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

Can't wait for the "wizards relieve themselves where they stand and disappear the evidence" card to be spoiled

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

BizarroAzrael posted:

It's kind of good with Narset, besides that casting it at sorcery speed usually means they still get one card and you would then have access to blue's card draw. Otherwise good!

Well, yeah and it's effectively a free draw three with Hulbreacher, but blue/white isn't hurting for asymmetrical draw.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

fadam posted:

College sports, letters of acceptance, professors, wearing glasses...

Soul crushing debt

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

You folks better be careful with your complaining, it could be so much worse

"I've turned my self into a pickle Chandra, I'm pickle Jace!" - Pickle Jace to Chandra Nalaar.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Well, yeah and it's effectively a free draw three with Hulbreacher, but blue/white isn't hurting for asymmetrical draw.

Quite literally, the only color combination that would want to play it is mono-W, and it's only good if you have Alms Collector out.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

YggdrasilTM posted:

Silverquill Silencer

Creature - Human Cleric

As ~ enters the battlefield, choose a nonland card name.
Whenever an opponent casts a spell with the chosen name, the opponent loses three life and you draw a card.

A 3/2 for 2 that occasionally puts you up a card and pressures your opponent into sub-optimal plays is solid enough on it's own but seems like there's enough effective, cheap discard in Historic now to give this guy some legs.

Curious to see what the rest of the Orzhov stuff in this set looks like.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

A Moose posted:

The arts pretty small but to me it looks a lot like a flying around in the air sport, which is more directly a reference. Completely possible the art is something different, would prob help if there was an hd version

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

The arts pretty small but to me it looks a lot like a flying around in the air sport, which is more directly a reference. Completely possible the art is something different, would prob help if there was an hd version

During the preview stream they made a point of calling out the sport specifically and explaining it is about using magic and blowing up the enemy’s tower (lol) to knock a mascot off. I think this is the only reference to it on the cards we’ve seen so far, but I suspect (or they might have said) that the commander decks are going to be themed around it. Don’t know enough about Quidditch to know if it’s similar but tbqh I don’t care!!

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
more sports:

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Given that 'you're not allowed to use magic' is like the only rule of quidditch, I'ma call this just Football, American.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Elyv fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Apr 1, 2021

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

more sports:

Both these cards gently caress.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Given that 'you're not allowed to use magic' is like the only rule of quidditch, I'ma call this just Football, American.

You’re not allowed to use magic in American Football either I think.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Funnily enough I’m pretty sure one of the not stupid extended Harry Potter lore answers is literally that American Quidditch is more violent and lets you use magic (within reason).

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

fadam posted:

You’re not allowed to use magic in American Football either I think.

Ain't no rule.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Fracture looks very good.

Double major looks very fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Well this is a hell of a card.