Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
So what?

E: oof, terrible snipe.
On topic:

Hollandia has issued a correction as of 07:27 on Apr 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Ingalls
Jan 31, 2021
the posts using prose suited for a tale of storming the beaches on d-day when describing talking to a car salesman are a little ridiculous

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Yesterday I had to get to a place, but I don't have a car, so I went to the tram stop and put some change in the ticket machine, then I waited 2 minutes for my tram and got in, and then I got to the place. I could have also taken a bus or a metro with the same ticket, but I didn't.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

grate deceiver posted:

Yesterday I had to get to a place, but I don't have a car, so I went to the tram stop and put some change in the ticket machine, then I waited 2 minutes for my tram and got in, and then I got to the place. I could have also taken a bus or a metro with the same ticket, but I didn't.

It's a good story, I did the same except instead of fiddling with money i just waved my phone at the ticket reader thing.

By which I mean this happened several months ago, the last time I was required to leave the house

Charles Ingalls
Jan 31, 2021
yesterday I had to go from a place to a place so I walked

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

It's a good story, I did the same except instead of fiddling with money i just waved my phone at the ticket reader thing.

By which I mean this happened several months ago, the last time I was required to leave the house

Wow, good ticket buying strats, now I realised I could have waved my card at it too

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

grate deceiver posted:

Paying for public transportation is a capitalist scam though. It's all busywork to give accountants and ticket checking people something to do. Just finance it through taxes.

Nothing is ever good enough for a true leftist.

In real life I have a card that's tied to my credit card, so I just touch it to a thingie when I board a train or bus or whatever and when I leave it again. Pretty painless, but still busywork.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

The last time I bought a car I spent three days texting dealers while they bid against themselves and only physically visited the lot after agreeing to the terms of sale also over text.

Not a bad way to do it imo.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Viet Cong lives do matter

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

GotLag posted:

Viet Cong lives do matter

won't someone please think about the poor people burning barrels of saudi oil money to keep warm?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Shame Boy posted:

You go back a few hundred pages in this thread and you can find people genuinely arguing that 9/11 was a cool and good necessity done by great dudes to further the goals of communism so like, whatever

Wait are you trying to say 9/11 was not cool and good?

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

BonHair posted:

Paying for public transportation is a capitalist scam though. It's all busywork to give accountants and ticket checking people something to do. Just finance it through taxes.

Nothing is ever good enough for a true leftist.

In real life I have a card that's tied to my credit card, so I just touch it to a thingie when I board a train or bus or whatever and when I leave it again. Pretty painless, but still busywork.

Hard agree there. We do have a transit card that you can pay for once every three months and ride whatever public transport you want, even some trains within the metropolitan area. But I live smack dab in the city center, so I don't need it that much, mostly I just walk.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

Charles Ingalls posted:

the posts using prose suited for a tale of storming the beaches on d-day when describing talking to a car salesman are a little ridiculous

yeah fair enough, i think I wrote that first when when I was high so it may come off a bit melodramatic. I stand by my point tho and I am also surprised at the number of losers here defending this institution.

"sales" culture is so normalized that no one can see a problem with a person who's job it is to try and convince someone with as many psychological manipulations possible to buy something they don't want or need.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Soon as I saw a car post I knew it would be several pages of car discussion. loving cars.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Soon as I saw a car post I knew it would be several pages of car discussion. loving cars.

I mean it's not like cars and gas and oil have influenced the last century of geo-politics or anything in a major way.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Yeah obviously dude this is CSPAM i don't give a rats rear end about a derail or many pages of discussing one thing that i can simply choose not to read (and have but uh thanks for the paragraphs guys). I love the consistency of it - you can mention cars in about any thread and it'll happen because cars are monstrously poo poo in every conceivable dimension

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I love the consistency of it - you can mention cars in about any thread and it'll happen because cars are monstrously poo poo in every conceivable dimension

:hmmyes:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

As someone who has no driver's license and otherwise far removed from any car buying, it's been a fascinating insight and reminder to never change that. Thank Marx/Pio for acceptable city planning and public transportation

It seems like all the bits that normally make customer service important don't apply to cars. The obvious points are: anyone shopping for a car is going to buy a car. It might not be right away, but once you're looking at cars, it's because you need one and you will eventually buy one. Add to that that you don't buy cars often, so repeat customers are not a thing. This means that the car shop doesn't need to leave a good impression really. In theory, they could get some referrals on being not terrible, but it seems like just having everyone be terrible is more profitable. And then you have the fact that it's a large investment, which means you feel more justified surveying m spending a lot of time on it too. And finally American consumer protection is either a joke or nonexistent.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/rosscwinton/status/1377271362969088015

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Charles Ingalls posted:

The first car dealership I ever went to as an adult legitimately felt like I imagine D-Day did. Like they did the "take your license to the back to 'get some information' and then not give it back to you to keep you from leaving" poo poo, pushed real hard on a sale even though I was under no circumstances buying anything that day, even got out one of those four square con boxes.

Also I am a soft middle-class white dude who has never actually been to war, but I'm sure that has nothing to do with anything.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Wait they didn't immediately pick up the loving rocket parts :psyduck:

When the Delta II exploded when I was growing up back in 1997 there was an intense effort to make absolutely sure every single little piece of the thing was recovered, both to help determine what the cause was and to make sure nobody accidentally came across something toxic, since rockets tend to have a lot of that on board in more places than just the fuel tank. I kinda assumed the NTSB or the FAA or someone would like, require you to do that, but I guess not??

Charles Ingalls
Jan 31, 2021

Shame Boy posted:

The first car dealership I ever went to as an adult legitimately felt like I imagine D-Day did.

if this is not a joke you should perhaps reevaluate everything about your life

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Did you know that war is very bad? Heh.. bet you didn't :smug:

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Shame Boy posted:

When the Delta II exploded when I was growing up back in 1997 there was an intense effort to make absolutely sure every single little piece of the thing was recovered, both to help determine what the cause was and to make sure nobody accidentally came across something toxic, since rockets tend to have a lot of that on board in more places than just the fuel tank. I kinda assumed the NTSB or the FAA or someone would like, require you to do that, but I guess not??

But SpaceX is able to explode rockets for much cheaper than competitors, I'm sure that doesn't come at the cost of anything.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Salt Fish posted:

Did you know that war is very bad? Heh.. bet you didn't :smug:

I dunno, it seems to be worth a lot of money.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Shame Boy posted:

They are probably designed to just explode and they don't really give a poo poo about making the rockets reusable

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

SpacePig posted:

I dunno, it seems to be worth a lot of money.
one might say it's some sort of racket

Charles Ingalls
Jan 31, 2021
machine gun bullets whizzing around your head while you watch your best friend die is not, in fact, comparable to being offered an unreasonable apr on a honda jazz

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I once went to buy a car but I got shot in legs and drowned in the shallow water of the beach before I could close the deal. Oh well, at least I didn't get a Jeep.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Shame Boy posted:

just neoliberalism working as intended

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

http://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1377385419197739011?s=20

:roflolmao:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
The Worst Guy You Know Just...Continues To Make Terrible Points

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Just keep sucking that Bezos dick, who knows maybe one day you can join their Twitter army.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Capitalism breeds innovation so we can do away with R&D credits.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
we need to remove any risks that would cause a company to lose value if we want them to continue innovating and providing minimum wage jobs

also we need to give ceos and founders huge amounts of compensation because they are dealing with all these risks

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

I would argue that if the corporate tax rate is too high, then it would be better for the company if it spent all its profits on useless crap like golden ball pits rather than give money to the govt. For example if the corporate tax rate was 90%, then if the company paid taxes then the govt could have enough money to create a public competitor that drove the private company out of business.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

research and development for a website that hasn't been updated since 1999 and selling server space like dozens of other companies

incredible

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Charles Ingalls posted:

if this is not a joke you should perhaps reevaluate everything about your life

I thought the last line would make it clear that I was being a bit facetious. Obviously I know that war is much easier than buying a car, you can just shoot the other dude and you don't have to argue with them.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

research and development for a website that hasn't been updated since 1999 and selling server space like dozens of other companies

incredible

The massive R&D budget clearly went in to making those physical buttons that automatically buy more toilet paper or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Shame Boy posted:

The massive R&D budget clearly went in to making those physical buttons that automatically buy more toilet paper or whatever

lmao, what a dumb idea that was.