Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

It's crazy that we have to watch this guy run the bases, if you think about it. He just isn't good at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

I will give my body to lifeboy

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

1B are also often nonathletic moose-men valued for their eye and ability to hit ball long way. They should get to swap out with a designated runner after they reach base.

Apr 7, 2003

Ogmius815 posted:

1B are also often nonathletic moose-men valued for their eye and ability to hit ball long way. They should get to swap out with a designated runner after they reach base.

You could put the designated runner in the unused batting box, no point in making fans watch some fat guy lumber to first.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
A bunch of you all said "ball" lol that's what they call the testes is balls

But anyway, the TV at work has Sling, and it's probably going to be slow, so I'm gonna have baseball on all day and then go home and watch more baseball and also do plenty of poo poo posting, it's gonna be a good day.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
something something GDT is up

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I will never stop fighting the Designated Hitler.

I will never understand wanting to see pitchers hit.

Apr 7, 2003

mcmagic posted:

I will never understand wanting to see pitchers hit.

I will never understand wanting to watch catchers run.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
We shouldn't have to suffer through wretched posting in the name of tradition, we need designated posters so no one ever has to read another PFC post.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

R.D. Mangles posted:

It is so loving cold today for the cubs opener, love that April baseball.

We've had such nice weather and of course for opening day it dips back down to the 30s, baseball is truly back.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
MLB is now played by two people with wiffle balls and bats, ghost runners, ghost fielders and one umpire who decides what's a hit/out and how far the runners advance.

Apr 7, 2003

In 2019, D-Backs catcher Alex Avila was injured running the bases after a home run. If we had a designated runner rule, this horrific injury could have been avoided.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/1377645852894900227

2021 Season off to a roaring start already.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
It's that one day of the year where I get fooled into thinking the Angels might be a good team. Very excited.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
PFC in BShitpostingOHL for opening day. Baseball really is back.

Apr 7, 2003

If you think about it, the designated runner rule is no more stupid than having someone else perform any other essential function of baseball for players who are bad at it.

It's not like catchers spend time practicing baserunning, anyway.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The scheduled day off after opening day is dogshit garbage.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Their should be a second DH for catchers as catchers can't hit either

Apr 7, 2003

Making Gary Sanchez take his gear off four times a game is an undue burden.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

I never realized just how nice having two names on my ignore list could be. Like, obviously it was always good, just extra good today.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The last time the Dodgers started their season on April 1st was eight years ago today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8pZiV03YYM

By the time this happened I was hammered in the top deck, and absolutely lost my poo poo. It was a gorgeous and perfect Opening Day which I'll never top.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 1, 2021

Apr 7, 2003

David Price is making $32m to be a Dodgers bullpen guy this year.

The Pirates's entire payroll is 1.31 David Prices.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Look, when they said ‘Meet the Mets’, they meant with strict social distancing

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Nine years ago today I made a joke that came true. (Archives required)

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Opening day has arrived with no deal in place for Carlos Correa, the only offer being an insulting 6/120. So he hits free agency going into 2022 when the Astros will have approximately an $80m payroll and could easily afford to give him his market value since he said he wouldn't discuss an extension during the season

The tank is back baby

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

David Price is making $32m to be a Dodgers bullpen guy this year.

The Pirates's entire payroll is 1.31 David Prices.

The Boston Red Sox are paying David Price $16m to be a Dodgers bullpen guy this year.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Hey lets be fair, David is almost certainly going to make a few starts this year

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Got an Angels shirt and hat on, gonna ride this year’s hype train all the way to >.500

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Got a meeting scheduled directly over the start of the game :suicide:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Oh, PFC had a meltdown. It really is Opening Day.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Hello what are people using these days to get around blackouts with DNS stuff since Unblock-US seems to be gone. This will be the only thing I use it for so I'm not sure if I need a full VPN but w/e.

If this question is illegal please pretend I am asking about something else

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Is there any way for my parents to watch the Cubs legally? I admit I dont know why they would want too, but they do.

They dont have cable so they cant get the cubs lovely network. Not that they would have been able to anyway since they had DISH. They live in central Illinois so MLB.TV is out of the question because for some reason blackouts are still a thing in 2021, and using a VPN would be a bit too much for them to handle. So I can only assume they are poo poo out of luck.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

I felt like doing an effort post about the Giants. This is not exactly a "meet the team" post, more like what my expectations are for this season.

Ok so a decade ago the Giants won 3 World Series in 5 years, but I'm not gonna dwell on that

Ahem. Those teams will be loved forever in San Fran, but honestly they were never 100-win powerhouses. There was plenty of luck involved, "bullshit" even. Brian Sabean hit on a string of high draft picks (Posey, Belt, Crawford, Panik, Lincecum, Cain, Bumgarner) but he was an old-school GM from a scouting background. The Giants were one of the last teams to embrace moneyball. Outside of the big names, their drafts were atrocious. Look up a SF top prospects list from like 2015 and it's Adam Duvall and a bunch of guys you never heard of. They never had any depth, the upper minors were a wasteland. Sabean's FA signings were pretty bad too. When the core began to age, with no help coming from the minors, the team bottomed out in 2017 and 2018.

Enter Farhan Zaidi.

Under Zaidi, the Dodgers were, and are, the model of a smart, stats-oriented, big-money team. They spend money where it's be most effective, notably on international signings. They build deep rosters with tons of pitching, use surplus SPs as multi-inning relievers, and platoon hitters and play them at multiple positions. They find guys like Max Muncy and Justin Turner in the minors. This is the model that Zaidi brought to San Francisco, and Giants fans are hoping that it starts paying off soon.

In his first 2 years, Farhan hasn't made a splash in free agency. Tommy La Stella is our biggest signing so far, at 3 years/$19M. And yet Farhan has already reshaped the team:

- signed Mike Yastrzemski to a minor league deal. Yaz spent years in the Orioles system without making it to the big leagues. He hit .297/.400/.568 last year and recieved MVP votes

- Signed Donovan Solano on a minors deal. Solano was a journeyman with MIA and NYY, but he's hit .328 in 2 seasons with the Giants, and won a silver slugger

-Signed a slew of starting pitchers. Kevin Gausman was good enough last year to earn a qualifying offer. Giants took a flyer on Drew Smyly and he earned himself $11M from the Braves this year. This offseason we brought in Alex Wood, Anthony DeSclefani, and Aaron Sanchez.

-So much depth. Zaidi got Mauricio Dubon from the Brewers for two months of Drew Pomeranz. He's starting in CF. Alex Dickerson has a .947 OPS for us as a platoon OF. This guy always had big power but couldn't stay healthy. Got him from the Padres for "Franklin Van Gurp". IF Wilmer Flores has an .830 OPS on an extremely cheap deal. Plus a bunch of minor league hitters.

- Totally revamped the bullpen. In the last few years, we've brought in a few relief pitchers: Jake McGee, Jose Alvarez, Matt Wisler, John Brebbia, Sam Selman, Jarlin Garcia, Tyler Rogers, Nick Tropeano, Trevor Gott, Nick Vincent, OK you get the idea. They haven't all been winners, but some have shown enough promise that I think our bullpen can be at least average, without any big-name guys.

2020 was supposed to be the last year of the rebuild. Instead, Covid happened, and our top prospects didnt play, except for Joey Bart who was promoted before he was ready. We have a wave of hitting prospects coming: Bart, OF Heliot Ramos (who torched the Cactus League this spring), SS Marco Luciano, and more. Now Giants fans are hoping they make an impact in 2022.

So 2021 looks like a transitional year. Most of the big contracts expire at the end of the season, and the team should make a splash in free agency next year as the prospects come up. But the team hit surprisingly well in 2020 and I think they could surprise people. A winning record is totally possible, although playoffs will be tough with the Dodgers and Padres in the division. Some Giants fans are getting impatient, but Zaidi gets an A+ from me.

The Pussy Boss fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 1, 2021

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I’m so sick of being stuck in my house. It’s reached the point where I miss getting annihilated by the sun at Sunday afternoon games. In fact, I yearn for it.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Josh Donaldson already hurt himself lmao

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Ke'Bryan Hayes hit a monster nuke in the first inning lol

he’s so good

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

GalacticAcid posted:

Ke'Bryan Hayes hit a monster nuke in the first inning lol

he’s so good

new thread rule you have to post the highlight when talking about cool poo poo like this

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I'm gonna get drunk and watch the Mariners lose tonight v. excited

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

DurosKlav posted:

Is there any way for my parents to watch the Cubs legally? I admit I dont know why they would want too, but they do.

They dont have cable so they cant get the cubs lovely network. Not that they would have been able to anyway since they had DISH. They live in central Illinois so MLB.TV is out of the question because for some reason blackouts are still a thing in 2021, and using a VPN would be a bit too much for them to handle. So I can only assume they are poo poo out of luck.

FuboTV added Marquee a couple days ago, which IIRC is the only streaming service now that Hulu dropped them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

TwoHeadedDeer posted:

does anyone here have the mlb.tv all teams thing? does it include all games all season long, including playoffs? because if not, gently caress that

Technically, it does, yeah. National broadcasts and your local team are subject the blackouts, which includes the entire postseason. A VPN (or working DNS service that fakes your location) can get around those blackouts, though.