Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

FlocksOfMice posted:

I'm game dialogue says vos had been there forever, aryon came in relatively recently with his weird fusion fetish and had workers build him a castle that he then seeded with his tower

it's all aryon, the legion had nothing to do with it

the in game vanilla dialogue is pretty contradictory

quote:

"We've been fortunate. We tested the resolve of the Duke and the other Houses when we grabbed Tel Vos. And we found out they weren't going to fight to protect the settlement charters, we sent out our deviants and malcontents to stake new claims. Some will survive, some won't. Hlaalu and Redoran have to respond. But in the end, the ones that survive will extend our power and influence here on Vvardenfell."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
That matches my hazy internalization; I'd thought it was a kind of wildcat fort that was abandoned rather than assaulted.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

the in game vanilla dialogue is pretty contradictory

That's referring specifically to Telvanni's tendency to rapid expansion on Vvardenfell, and how leaving Zafirbel Bay and taking spots in the grazelands proper, which was not traditional Telvanni ground. The Telvanni went "can we settle this far without pushback" and got "yeah no one is pushing back on us" and now you have rogue Telvanni setting up in towers all over the island without charters and largely uncontested. Tel Vos was the first of their expansion pushes, and when they didn't get called out in the Duke's council for it, they went "great!" and that's why there's rogue telvanni just literally everywhere now.

There's construction work ongoing in Tel Vos itself, with notes from the workers talking about how they are doing this on contract from Master Aryon. They say Tel Vos is something weird, but Master Aryon is something weird too. They make it pretty clear this is just his weird Imperial-Telvanni fusion aesthetic going on. Vos is an old farming village, and no one in Vos has anything to say about Aryon conquering some legion fort to build it--they just say it's neat that he's arrived lately and built a weird tower, and we even have a docks and tavern now!

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

FlocksOfMice posted:

That's referring specifically to Telvanni's tendency to rapid expansion on Vvardenfell, and how leaving Zafirbel Bay and taking spots in the grazelands proper, which was not traditional Telvanni ground. The Telvanni went "can we settle this far without pushback" and got "yeah no one is pushing back on us" and now you have rogue Telvanni setting up in towers all over the island without charters and largely uncontested. Tel Vos was the first of their expansion pushes, and when they didn't get called out in the Duke's council for it, they went "great!" and that's why there's rogue telvanni just literally everywhere now.

There's construction work ongoing in Tel Vos itself, with notes from the workers talking about how they are doing this on contract from Master Aryon. They say Tel Vos is something weird, but Master Aryon is something weird too. They make it pretty clear this is just his weird Imperial-Telvanni fusion aesthetic going on. Vos is an old farming village, and no one in Vos has anything to say about Aryon conquering some legion fort to build it--they just say it's neat that he's arrived lately and built a weird tower, and we even have a docks and tavern now!

I took the construction work to be additions to the fort and not plain construction of it. i suppose grabbing the land itself would probably make more sense and less of a casus belli for the empire to wreck the telvanni

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
OpenMW released a visual history of development thingie on their youtube channel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeJc3e_qQWY

Necronormiecon
Mar 12, 2019

Farewell, sweet Nerevar. Better luck on your next incarnation.
Is there a good ship-based housing mod that can move from place to place? I found nothing I like on the Nexus and MMH site. DEG reviewed a nice looking boat recently, but that one had no ability to travel.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
didn't someone itt make one but had a lot of problems with ensuring it loaded in the correct place in the right way? Like if you left it in Seyda Neen and walked to Hla Oad the boat would not be there, but the collision would? or something like when you opened up the door you'd fall through the deck because the game took 1 frame to load the thing, or something?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Necronormiecon posted:

Is there a good ship-based housing mod that can move from place to place? I found nothing I like on the Nexus and MMH site. DEG reviewed a nice looking boat recently, but that one had no ability to travel.

There's a couple, ultimate pirate galleon comes to mind, then there's the submarine and fishing academy mods. Also there's a couple of flying ships mods too.

I haven't actually tried them though, sorry.

Have a look through the Morrowind Modding Showacses youtube, he's reviewed at least some of these mods I'm sure.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Morrowind adjacent, I watched a gameplay demo (just a vertical slice I think) of that morrowind skyrim remake, and I'm not sure what they're doing with the numbers but Skyrim's conceit of "when you're hit, you're hit" really seems to change the pace of combat for the worse.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

A long time ago I posted a quick hack which made all misses do 1 damage in OpenMW, and it was alright.

Not amazing or anything but it does make the combat feel a bit more impactful.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

Morrowind adjacent, I watched a gameplay demo (just a vertical slice I think) of that morrowind skyrim remake, and I'm not sure what they're doing with the numbers but Skyrim's conceit of "when you're hit, you're hit" really seems to change the pace of combat for the worse.

That's just skyrim

Private Speech posted:

A long time ago I posted a quick hack which made all misses do 1 damage in OpenMW, and it was alright.

Not amazing or anything but it does make the combat feel a bit more impactful.

Huh, not a bad idea for a quick mwse mod

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

SniperWoreConverse posted:

didn't someone itt make one but had a lot of problems with ensuring it loaded in the correct place in the right way? Like if you left it in Seyda Neen and walked to Hla Oad the boat would not be there, but the collision would? or something like when you opened up the door you'd fall through the deck because the game took 1 frame to load the thing, or something?

I was working on that, yeah. whatever I did to make the ship go to the new docked location, its collision would only update after the player loaded in which resulted in them dropping into the ocean on exit and being dumped under the boat

I've been without my computer for a while so I've made 0 progress on that rip

there's a bunch of very fancy flying mega base mods but yeah

there'sa a steerable ship mod somewhere out there but I've only seen video of it

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

its always very surreal watching someone play through stuff you made

the boots of lightning speed is probably the most fun "quest" ive made

edit: I swear the boots dealt more damage to the user...I looked at the 2-6 pts and immediately though "huh, that's not very much at all"

mbt fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Apr 1, 2021

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I recently got back into the morrowind modding scene and the mwse development is just doing wacky stuff now. apparently you can override generic c functions to call lua code and just arbitrarily write bytes to live-patch the exe.

the most recent use of this was trying to figure out that weird delay that happens when non-dunmer races land from a jump. analyzing the issue in a disassembler found the math for calculating the center of a characters bounding volume is wrong. not only is the math wrong, it takes things like "model compass heading" into account, causing a variable delay. fixing the math makes altmer unable to fit through doors as they're *very tall*, but after solving that too, a whole eight byte patch 20 years later solves the issue.

odds are bethesda tried everything they could, got something that worked and said "lets just move on"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Played a bit of Skyrim: Home of the Nords, it's very well done. It did remind me of what I hate most about later Elderscrolls versus Morrowind, they have normal medieval livestock.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
For the folks that complained about OAAB Tel Vos being too high, I think Melchior heard your cries.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

hooah posted:

For the folks that complained about OAAB Tel Vos being too high, I think Melchior heard your cries.

Magnificent trolling.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

its always very surreal watching someone play through stuff you made

the boots of lightning speed is probably the most fun "quest" ive made

edit: I swear the boots dealt more damage to the user...I looked at the 2-6 pts and immediately though "huh, that's not very much at all"

holy poo poo this movie is an hour long and i'm p much gonna watch thew whole thing

what the hell's with the food and heat bars is that mod any good?

Necronormiecon
Mar 12, 2019

Farewell, sweet Nerevar. Better luck on your next incarnation.

holy poo poo this movie is an hour long and i'm p much gonna watch thew whole thing

what the hell's with the food and heat bars is that mod any good?

AshFall survival and basic needs mod :burger:

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/49057

It’s very good, customizable and non-intrusive. Can’t imagine playing without it :tbear:

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSxXzOLxM_E

oh my god wait when you cook food you literally put it on the fire and cook it!? Woah. It looks like all those old decorative items like pots are useful now!?

Does this mess with weapon sheathing? Can beast races eat raw meat?

Can you only cook at the camp fire you make, or can you use the fires that are placed in vanilla?

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 1, 2021

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

there's an upcoming total conversion that uses ashfall and puts you in a world where dagoth ur won and you're one of the lone survivors scavenging in the apocalpyse

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

there's an upcoming total conversion that uses ashfall and puts you in a world where dagoth ur won and you're one of the lone survivors scavenging in the apocalpyse

Finally, the good ending

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
drat, what the gently caress would that even be? All the dunmer are hosed up body horror monsters? Rampant corprus out of control? Blight literally everywhere?

poo poo I don't even know what Dagoth Ur's end game was supposed to be like

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

drat, what the gently caress would that even be? All the dunmer are hosed up body horror monsters? Rampant corprus out of control? Blight literally everywhere?

quote:

[The following documents were prepared by Temple scholars and agents of the Inquisition for Lord Vivec.]

From interrogation of captured Sleepers and other Sixth House cultists, from study of manuscripts written by cultists and victims of dream-induced mania, from interviews with Lord Vivec concerning historical campaigns against Red Mountain, and from broad conjectures and inferences made upon these materials, this is our best estimate of Dagoth Ur's motivations and objectives in this most recent phase of his war upon Morrowind.

Basic Objectives

1.Establish a theocracy in Morrowind based on the worship of the new-born god Akulakhan [Second Numidium] to be created by Dagoth Ur from the heart of Lorkhan and a body constructed according to the principles and rituals pioneered by the Dwemer Kagrenac. Establish the ancient heirs of House Dagoth as the god-priests of Akulakhan, and the Sixth House of Dagoth Ur as the dominant political power in Morrowind. Through charismatic conversion, unite the Dunmer under the guidance of Dagoth Ur to battle against the foreign animals who hold Morrowind in subjection. [Note: Dagoth Ur has apparently adopted the views and motivations of the Dwemer High Craftlord Kagrenac. In effect, he recapitulates the ancient blasphemous folly of the Dwemer.]

2.Expose the false worship of the Tribunal and destroy the ecclesiastical authority and political power of the Temple. [How much the Dissident Priests or the Cult of the Nerevarine may be controlled or influenced by the Sixth House in this regard is open to speculation.]

3.Extirpate all remaining individuals of inferior and mongrel races from Morrowind.

4.Drive the Empire from Morrowind.

5.Recover ancient territories stolen by Skyrim and Argonia.

6.Extend the worship of Akulakhan to all nations of Tamriel through subversion and conquest.

Plans to Establish and Expand the Sixth House

Phase 1:
Secure Red Mountain against Tribunal intruders. Deny Tribunal access to the Heart, weakening the Temple while securing Red Mountain for the creation of Akulakhan. Keep the construction of Second Numidium a secret.

Phase 2:
Create passive servants in ever-widening circles around Red Mountain by broadcasting compulsions couched in dream imagery to susceptible subjects in their sleep. Establish a major operational base at Kogoruhn for further operations in the ash wastes. Establish smaller bases near small port villages and in lower-class waterfront districts in Vivec. Infiltrate and subvert smuggling syndicates. Recruit willing followers from disaffected populations, including the underworld, the poor, and rabid anti-Imperial activists.

Phase 3:
Expand from smaller bases to other towns and villages, and recruit and indoctrinate subjects made susceptible by dream sendings. Occupy abandoned towers and ruins, and train corrupted cultists as raiders and irregular troops. Identify, discredit, and decimate possible sources of political resistance.

Phase 4:
Use assassination and terror to weaken, distract, and disrupt the Legions and the Imperial bureaucracy, along with their Hlaalu sympathizers. Inspire popular uprisings of the native poor against the foreign rich and powerful. Summon Sleepers and Dreamers to Dagoth Ur to work on Second Numidium.

Inferring Dagoth Ur's Perspectives

Dagoth Ur thinks on a large time scale -- for the most part, in the outside-of-time scale of the divine consciousness. He thinks that only obstacles of mythic scale are worth consideration. He believes he is fated to rule Morrowind, to free Morrowind of the Empire, and to become the new hard-loving Father of Morrowind. Given that perspective, the only opposing forces Dagoth Ur worries about are the Tribunal, the Daedra, the Emperor, and the Incarnate.

With the Tribunal's loss of Sunder and Keening, and with the diminishing resources of Vivec, Almalexia, and Sotha Sil, Dagoth Ur believes he has permanently gained a decisive strategic advantage. On a mortal timescale, the battle may last for centuries, but the outcome is not in doubt. And Akulakhan may be a device for dramatically reducing the time scale for a decisive victory.

The myth of dynamic invincibility of the Emperor and the Empire has long been an unquantifiable and intimidating threat, but recent rumors of unrest in Cyrodiil, of the Emperor's failing health, and the unsettled question of the succession have diminished the scale of that threat. Nonetheless, the revelation that the Nerevarine is a pawn of Imperial intelligence, hand-picked and sent to Morrowind by the Emperor himself, may cause Dagoth Ur considerable anxiety.

The Daedra represent no coherent obstacle to Dagoth Ur. Nonetheless, their personal abilities and their influence upon their fanatic followers is considerable, their motives and actions obscure, and Dagoth Ur remains concerned about them.

The Incarnate represents Saint Nerevar, a mythic force that has previously defeated Dagoth Ur, and Dagoth Ur is obsessed with this threat. At the same time, Dagoth Ur knew Nerevar personally, knew that he was a mortal man with faults and weaknesses. Dagoth Ur may have some hope of seducing or negotiating with Nerevar's reincarnation. Further, when Nerevar and the Tribunal defeated Dagoth Ur, they were strong and allied; now the Nerevarine and the Tribunal are weak, opposed, and divided. Therefore, though the Nerevarine and the Tribunal represent the most serious threat to Dagoth Ur's plans, he still has good reason to believe that this time he will prevail.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

he wanted to be god-emperor of tamriel iirc

the fourth era would have been pretty different with dagoth ur instead of the medes

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

It was actually just to get down

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

He would have tanked the Oblivion crisis and Alduin if he had that thing working imo. And probably the Thalmor since as I understand they and Dunmer hate each other

I'm not saying he's a good guy necessarily, but he's at least, I dunno, Stalin

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I mean if you drop that bullshit about the mongrel races, sure. Fuckhead doesn't realise the slave trade is sanctioned and abetted by the imperials and their Hlaalu running dogs to keep Morrowind underdeveloped and extract super-profits. All while creating an authoritarian Orientalist other in the Dunmer people in order to satisfy liberal White supremacism in Cyrodiil. The Twin Lamps light the way, brother.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I mean if you drop that bullshit about the mongrel races, sure. Fuckhead doesn't realise the slave trade is sanctioned and abetted by the imperials and their Hlaalu running dogs to keep Morrowind underdeveloped and extract super-profits. All while creating an authoritarian Orientalist other in the Dunmer people in order to satisfy liberal White supremacism in Cyrodiil. The Twin Lamps light the way, brother.

*sprays lizard b gone at your post*

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Got a link?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

kazr posted:

Got a link?

https://github.com/jhaakma/ash/wiki

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

quote:

Lonely: NPC encounters should be exceedingly rare.
That seems like a really bad idea for a morrowind mod. Its not the combat that keeps people still interested in Morrowind in the year 2021.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

IShallRiseAgain posted:

That seems like a really bad idea for a morrowind mod. Its not the combat that keeps people still interested in Morrowind in the year 2021.

It's certainly not the simplistic quests or encyclopedia dialogue either

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I've been playing Skyrim: Home of the Nords, and I'll be honest, it's incredibly well done, but seeing normal animals is dumb and boring. My favorite bit of Morrowind is there aren't any horses or chickens or cows, instead the staple diet is eggs, from weird insect creatures and they live in a mine. The fast travel system is a huge, completely different insect.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
There are more descriptions of how dunmer make weird carnivore friendly drugs and alcohol from bugs than there are how bosmer do, which is kind of weird when you think about how much loving wheat is covering the SE coast.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Guildenstern Mother posted:

There are more descriptions of how dunmer make weird carnivore friendly drugs and alcohol from bugs than there are how bosmer do, which is kind of weird when you think about how much loving wheat is covering the SE coast.

Yeah, wheat is the only normal food in that game (and bread I guess, but if you have wheat you have bread)

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

:hmmyes:

Skwirl posted:

I've been playing Skyrim: Home of the Nords, and I'll be honest, it's incredibly well done, but seeing normal animals is dumb and boring. My favorite bit of Morrowind is there aren't any horses or chickens or cows, instead the staple diet is eggs, from weird insect creatures and they live in a mine. The fast travel system is a huge, completely different insect.

Wait a drat minute don't loving sky whales live near there? Did I hallucinate that being a thing? Aren't there supposed to be insane fjords & a poo poo ton of stuff that never made it into Todd's newest masterwork, like more cities built into cliffs than just markarth. They're supposed to have really steep roofs and deep basements because of the cold and snow, and the greataxe-polearm weapons and other stuff.

And mammoths and giants and tigers and bears are pretty crazy, and musk ox or something?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

i think the snow whales are meant to be folk tales; a whimsy of bards, not an actual species of creature. otherwise, why would the nords have ever stopped hunting them?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
A dragon break retconned them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

It's certainly not the simplistic quests or encyclopedia dialogue either

The dialogue system in morrowind is literally one of its best features :confused:

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Apr 4, 2021