Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Snydercut rules!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

twistedmentat posted:

James Horner used basically the same score in Wrath of Khan and Aliens. It's pretty common for composers to use similar sounding pieces of music for different films.
Oh if we're talking about movie composers being lazy bastards and repeating themselves, it is absolutely time to bring James Horner into this.

Avatar is just warmed-over Braveheart, and not even a proper warming over like sticking it in the microwave. More like taking it out of the fridge and just waiting for it to be room temperature.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

https://twitter.com/bobo_the_second/status/1377339403631173634?s=19

https://twitter.com/HourComeAtLast/status/1377479557427593216?s=19

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I know all those names but I don't understand the joke.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

X-O posted:

I love the Doctor Strange theme, the best one on the soundtrack by far is this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blGsC1T2adU

Extremely :same:, and the harpsichord (?) goes a long way in making it stand out amongst the other MCU hero themes. I also don’t hear Giaccino’s ST09 theme in it at all, and I used to have that OST on constant rotation after it came out. I don’t know what RLM is hearing but it ain’t that.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Well, now that it is 11:59 PM my time, and Snyder chat is officially being banned from BSS April 1st, I would like to take this moment to say that if Marvel ever did somehow tap Zack Snyder to direct an MCU movie that I would look forward to the first good Marvel movie :grin:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Call me crazy, but I did not mind SnyderChat this time around.

It was predictably terrible everywhere else on the site, but it wasn’t too bad in this thread.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Now it's time to talk about how Godzilla vs Kong is a loving dogshit movie.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Are they trying to say that if you like any of those directors your secretly a nazi?

Also i enjoyed Godzilla vs Kong. It's not the best movie ever, but its fine. Not great human stuff, but honestly the only good human stuff in a Godzilla movie is Final Wars and a big part of that is Don Frye and his S-tier mustache.

I do hate the character of the "Conspiracy Theorist who is right about something". Uh every loving Qanon and 9/11 truther thinks they're this person because they already confuse movies and TV with real life.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Apr 1, 2021

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Agreed. It was stupid and sucky.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Agreed. It was stupid and sucky.

Not even the good kind of stupid! (seen here)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItS3_H0Rl5w

twistedmentat posted:

Are they trying to say that if you like any of those directors your secretly a nazi?

Liking movies that don't suck and have a visual language is cringe and fash-adjacent.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I watched Godzilla VS Kong and I would describe it as about 120 minutes of atrociously stupid crap capped off with a good 30 minute colossal sized slobberknocker

I still like it better than Godzilla 2014, probably because it took itself less seriously.

Lurdiak posted:

Liking movies that don't suck and have a visual language is cringe and fash-adjacent.

there's a joke that can be made here about Birth of a Nation but I lack the filmic background to put it together

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

CapnAndy posted:

Soundtracks have always been a weak spot in the MCU; the Avengers have a recognizable theme,

I wonder if this is just because it gets played so many times though. It's a totally generic and forgettable theme.
Wonder Woman has a good and memorable theme that gets ruined by often they play it.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Alhazred posted:

I wonder if this is just because it gets played so many times though. It's a totally generic and forgettable theme.
Wonder Woman has a good and memorable theme that gets ruined by often they play it.

*Wonder Woman sneezes*

[ancient lamentation music plays]

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Patrick Doyle's Thor/Asgard/Yggdrasil theme owns, it's just a shame they rarely use it.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I liked the music from Man of Steel. Lots of drums and stuff? Or something similiar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6DJcgm3wNY

This trailer still owns

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Apr 1, 2021

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lurdiak posted:

I will cosign this. Man that movie sucked. I admit maybe I wasn't the audience though. I never watched Kong or the last Godzilla film. But man this was just crap. Disappointed in Adam Wingard which is the only reason I jumped back on this one.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I haven't watched it yet but I know it is good because Big Monkey

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Godzilla vs Kong is one the best Millenium era Godzilla films made. Just insanity start to finish with some great monster fights.

it’s actually a Kong movie start to finish Godzilla happens to be in it

Like it genuinely has a scene (2/3 into it) where Godzilla ATOMIC BREATHS THROUGH THE loving PLANET TO YELL AT KONG WHO’S CURRENTLY IN THE HOLLOW EARTH CORE AND THEY YELL AT EACH OTHER SOME MORE. The movie knew exactly what it wanted to do and it excelled at it.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Apr 1, 2021

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Better rating than a certain other movie, which makes it the greatest thing ever made by the transitive property.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I haven't watched it yet but I know it is good because Big Monkey

It's a dumb movie BUT a fun dumb movie and my kind of poo poo. Im sad I couldnt watch it on a novie theater.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

There's two ways to read this:

1. If you like any of these directors, you're actually a nazi.

Or 2. If you like any of these directors you should actually check out this Nazi, despite the fact she worked in documentary not narrative.

Both of them are equally horrible takes.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Godzilla: King of the Monsters was dogshit, so I'm expecting very little from Kong vs. Godzilla.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

Godzilla: King of the Monsters was dogshit, so I'm expecting very little from Kong vs. Godzilla.

Godzilla vs Kong is really stupid but great because it's not up it's own rear end like the last two Godzilla movies.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

So let me get this straight... Godzilla vs. Kong, the sequel to Godzilla: King of the Monsters, is primarily a Kong movie?

How absurd.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They already announced an extended ultimate edition. Apparently this version cuts out a lot of scenes that explain what Godzilla is doing and how the villain of the movie has set up their fight.

I know a lot of people think the "Mothra!? Why did you say that name!?" moment is really dumb but I thought it really worked for the character. It's not about the name is about this mirroring the moment of King Kong's creation and his father's last words.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

So no more of that cheap CGI removal of Godzilla's mustache?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Nevermind I'm an idiot who doesn't understand jokes.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

John Wick of Dogs posted:

They already announced an extended ultimate edition.
Eh, it's totally apparent that the director is a hardline Japanese national who doesn't *get* the rich lore involved with these characters and what makes them relatable.

I also don't believe any of that extended cut exists. It's a complete fabrication.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Godzilla vs Kong was a perfectly fine movie to watch on the couch and browse the internet on your phone whenever humans start talking.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Godzilla vs Kong was awesome, I'd treat it as a modern take on the old Toho Vs movies of the 60s-70s. Just complete insanity and incredible fights. And I haaated KotM.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'd rather watch Final Wars than sit through VS again.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i would put it below kotm and skull island but still better than godzilla 2014. tbh i didn't like how hard it contrived everything to play out so godzilla would lose all the time, he's not even a real character in this one he just pops up from time to time to get jobbed until the climax, and the mechagodzilla was kinda disappointingly short for how long the runtime is. millie bobbie brown's entire story could've been cut because it was literally pointless from start to end. i didn't mind sitting through it the one time though

site fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 1, 2021

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
1. Skull Island
2. G14

3. Godzilla vs Kong

4. KOTM

I could not care less if Legendary makes another G-film. I’d be down for more Kong I guess, but the last two Godzilla movies were just bad.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I love Godzilla with all my soul, and really enjoy both 14 and KOTM. I have a feeling I'm gonna be satisfied by this film but we shall see.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

1. Skull Island
2. G14

3. Godzilla vs Kong

4. KOTM

I could not care less if Legendary makes another G-film. I’d be down for more Kong I guess, but the last two Godzilla movies were just bad.

Skull Island has been the best legendary kaiju movie of all.

Godzilla 14, wasn't. I hate that thing of hiding Godzilla in a cloud of debris and smoke during the whole movie and doing poo poo like this when something interesting was happening:

At least in Skull Island they didn't hide the monster, or kept it a ~*mystery*~. First five minutes in: holy poo poo giant ape!!. A few minutes later: Giant ape destroying helicopters in broad daylight gently caress yeah.

I do also hope we get a Kong sequel.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Add me to the group that thought Godzilla vs. Kong sucked. I'm happy it was on HBO Max because I would've been mad had I paid for it. The fights are good, and the last one is pretty great, but it's a gigantic slog to get through the rest of the movie to those points. I did like the cool sequence in the middle of the film where they travel to the new location, but still, way too much crap between the good stuff.

Skull Island is the best, though for sure.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

One of the few positive things about Godzilla vs Kong is that there is a definitive winner. None of this they fight to a draw bullshit before the real villain emerges. Nah, one of them gets their rear end beat badly. Then they team up on the final villain :v:

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
i thought about which human characters in GVSK felt necessary and it basically boiled down to the wee lass who is BFFs with Kong and the evil bastard who gets hoisted by his own pitard at the end. I'm not sure that anyone else really needs to have a name, or be around consistently.

Dunno what drives filmmakers to create movies like this, where the good part is so distinct and obvious but they feel the need to bolt on a bunch of dumb poo poo because... I dunno, out of date focus testing data? Trying to include a character intended to appeal to every theoretical demographic? That's what the script's writers learned in Screenplays 101?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Vince MechMahon posted:

There's two ways to read this:

1. If you like any of these directors, you're actually a nazi.

Or 2. If you like any of these directors you should actually check out this Nazi, despite the fact she worked in documentary not narrative.

Both of them are equally horrible takes.

This is a meta-joke about a really bad TikTok about books (which was serious), this particular tweet isn't serious.

Yes, I've been on twitter too much this week.