Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I had fun with Iron Rain playing in splitscreen. I genuinely think its worlds better than Insect Armagedon.

Its pretty frustrating in places, a lot of the gameplay changes sound like slam dunks on paper but are implemented kinda poorly.

For example the new equipment load system.
All classes can use all weapons and can equip vehicles and airstrikes. Sounds great on paper, even better more specialized equipment like decoys, mines and turrets can be brought to battle without taking a full weapon slot too, encouraging players to use the more.
but now all the fencer and wing diver exclusive weapon mechanics are gone as all classes need to use them, robbing those classes of a lot of their identity. The equipment load system is also crippled as actually using any of the cool poo poo you bring to battle eats into your ranking and mission rewards like you're using healing items in Devil May Cry. Idgaf about the rank but the money you earn is used to unlock new equipment and upgrade your armour. When I finished with the game I think they were still fiddling with the balance (healing items became increasingly cheaper with each patch during our playthrough) so I'd hope its not as punishing as it was at release but its just such a baffling decision.

The story is the same, I like the broad strokes of a post invasion EDF going a bit Starship Troopers and adding in the anti-EDF rebel faction etc. But its just half baked and goes nowhere.

The stagering is really annoying too, you just fall over if you get near to enemies at all. Hard to get used to if you're used to proper EDF.

On the plus side Jet lifter plus sword was fun and the grapple class feels like something a real EDF game could turn into something fun.

I'd say Insect Armageddon feels like a half competent third person co-op shooter with EDF branding but Iron Rain feels almost but not quite like an actual EDF game. I appreciate some of the things they tried and if nothing else my Co-op partner took to the Jet Lifter Class when the Wing Diver's more complicated energy mechanics turned her off in 4.1 and 5. The flight mechanics were a transferable skill and now she mains Wingdiver in proper EDF.

So Iron Rain is kinda a game I'd like to recomend to new EDF players as the class and equipment system is a bit more accessable, but I won't because its a bad first impression to the series in a most other ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KK3u5wVU2bU
A trailer for the DLC of World Brothers.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
wait Iron Rain had microtransactions? God that makes so much sense in retrospect lol.

Also if anyone does get it on sale please load up a list of the hidden drones they unlock stuff and are not fun to look for. Thers one hidden in each mission, they're the size of a wastepaper basket and they come in a range of infuriating colours to blend in with the scenery in these maps that cover multiple city blocks.

The first mission has a dark green one hidden in long grass behind a green fence just to give you a taste. In one of the city missions I spent 30 minutes even with a guide because it was the same colour as the rubble surounding it. If you see a tent destroy it.

Why anyone though hidden collectables in enormous EDF maps was a good idea is beyond me. I think I was halfway through the game before I found one on my own. I think I ran into like three of the solar pannel things that drop money total too.

Edit: Give me EU release date you fucks!

Its still so wild to me that EDF of all series got a Sonic Generations style nostalgia fest game but I am so here for it pander to me with more EDF2 content please i don't care if its in minecraft graphics

Mr Phillby fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Mar 26, 2021

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I'll say this, world brothers looks way better than old EDF games and they nailed gameplay so well that at some point you forget what the old games are supposed to look like.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i care more about the gameplay than the visual style for edf. if voxels let them put more bugs on screen at one time, all the better.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Graphics did not look good to me until EDF5. The bar has been set very low in that regard. Almost as low as the fps.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
There is only one thing that will get you higher FPS: Kill. More. Bugs!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

https://www.gematsu.com/2021/04/earth-defense-force-world-brothers-launches-may-27-in-the-west-for-ps4-switch-and-pc

May 27th for western release.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

oh gently caress, I might buy it for PC again. The graphics on switch are a bit muddy, and the dof effect can be annoying like in lego games. At least on PC we might be able to disable it.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Well, that's going to be early June saved even if I still can't travel anywhere :)

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I guess it is real.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

https://twitter.com/EDF_OFFICIAL_EN/status/1377634287059677186

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

lmao

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Its a great April 1st joke, but I could see a setting for a future EDF title sort of like Xcom2 where the aliens have already taken over for years and you and Sergeant Mann are part of some resistance.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

proof that EDF headquarters has been taken over by the aliens. the commander of the EDF would never even think of signing that so-called "peace treaty"

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Captain Beans posted:

Its a great April 1st joke, but I could see a setting for a future EDF title sort of like Xcom2 where the aliens have already taken over for years and you and Sergeant Mann are part of some resistance.

There's that one mission in EDF 5 where you start in a parking garage in an occupied city and have to slowly free other troops around the city. It was one of my favorite missions.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Radio Free Kobold posted:

proof that EDF headquarters has been taken over by the aliens. the commander of the EDF would never even think of signing that so-called "peace treaty"

Could this peace treaty be the work of terrorists???

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

RBA Starblade posted:

Could this peace treaty be the work of terrorists???

Whoever these guys are, they all look just like us!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
They were able to read the treaty with the 2 eyes they have, just like us! And they signed it using their hands that were attached to their arms, just like us!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

EDF5 is on sale on Humble, any recs for the DLC (which are not on sale)?

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

McSpanky posted:

i enjoyed the first dlc mission pack, i never finished the second dlc mission pack because one of the missions was wildly untuned for hard difficulty.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

McSpanky posted:

You can never go wrong with both mission packs. Also get the two decoy sets that are not for the Wing Diver.

Frida Call Me posted:

i enjoyed the first dlc mission pack, i never finished the second dlc mission pack because one of the missions was wildly untuned for hard difficulty.
They pretty much are not meant for single player and I would find an unlimited player to help unlock them.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Scalding Coffee posted:

You can never go wrong with both mission packs. Also get the two decoy sets that are not for the Wing Diver.

They pretty much are not meant for single player and I would find an unlimited player to help unlock them.

yeah, even with a squad of 4 veterans with well-unlocked weapons, the underground mission in dlc 2 is impossible on hard.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVtbCkBQ9hM&t=14s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw7bZqL0kVU

:shepface:

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Frida Call Me posted:

Frida Call Me posted:

yeah, even with a squad of 4 veterans with well-unlocked weapons, the underground mission in dlc 2 is impossible on hard.

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!
It's doable but a massive difficulty spike and basically requires you to be very good at kiting stuff (rip rangers / air raiders).

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
gently caress.

DEROYS. :mad:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
EDF6 coming this year. A continuation of EDF5.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dKpJ9X3Si8

EDF2 for the Switch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPHGIJhiw6w

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Apr 28, 2021

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

And 3 lol

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Genuinely sad that nobody posting articles about the EDF 2 port bothered to watch the trailer lol. Missed out of the EDF 3 scoop.

Not a lot of clear gameplay footage in the trailer, but I read that this is based of the Vita port (which was based of the PSP port), and I'm a little worried we'll have another port that plays smoother than the PS2 original but still has worse draw distance.

Basically fix the draw distance Sandlot! I'll buy it if you do that. I'll even put up with the trying too hard 'invaders from planet space' localization again lol.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
https://twitter.com/Hatsuu/status/1386908709050195970

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Invaders from Planet Space is actually a perfect name so I'm not surprised it won.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

proof yet again that Brittany Avery rules

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
English gameplay demo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bk0yCJedf_k

Some of the EDF4.1 songs seem to be back :allears:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

World Brothers is apparently out in the west this week???

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Sakurazuka posted:

World Brothers is apparently out in the west this week???

Yep! It even has a steam page up!

Also lmao it already has 18 bits of DLC.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It has 4 DLC of Riho Futaba as separate characters and another dozen more. Looks like the mission packs come later, so you might not even see a pre-order discount for them. The DLC won't be garbage weapons like in EDF5, but more characters to individually grind.
There seems to be far fewer vehicles to use and they appear on the mission map instead of summoned. No bikes or helicopters.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 05:09 on May 25, 2021

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i gasped very dramatically when i saw this

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

So is World Brothers actually good? It looks like a pretty significant departure from the classics, besides the graphics even, so I have no idea how to accurately gauge it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i gasped very dramatically when i saw this

Oh my :aaaaa:

Infinity Gaia posted:

So is World Brothers actually good? It looks like a pretty significant departure from the classics, besides the graphics even, so I have no idea how to accurately gauge it.

I think nerdz posted mostly positive things about the Japanese Switch version a couple of pages back, so it's probably not terrible