Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
poll
This poll is closed.
answer 1 9 8.33%
answer 2 15 13.89%
answer 3 48 44.44%
answer 4 36 33.33%
Total: 108 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Walla posted:

So I think I'm just going to give my PSP away. It's not really worth the hassle to sell. Anyone want it? It's already modded and has a micro sd adapter, but it's the 1000 model.

My wife has been wanting one. I'd be willing to throw some cash your way or like, donate to a charity of your choice or something if you really don't want anything for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

wuggles posted:

I wish my squares were "Genuinely insult another poster" and "Tell your posting comrades to shut the gently caress up"

Those are the free spaces.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Saint Freak posted:

My wife has been wanting one. I'd be willing to throw some cash your way or like, donate to a charity of your choice or something if you really don't want anything for it.

Pay for shipping and it's yours. It's only worth maybe $40. I'm not going to send it out until I get my Vita up and working, so probably another 10 days or so. Once I buy myself PMs I'll message you for your address. And I'll post my physical discs for it when I get home tonight.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Acerbatus posted:

MH games have stories? Never really played them butI thought they were basically on the level of sonic or mario.

how dare

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Ok this boss fight is a load of wank

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can you still get What Did I Do To Deserve This, My Lord and Corpse Party Book of Shadows on vita? It hink they were orginally PSP games.

I think basically all the best digital only PSP stuff was available on Vita too, but I don't recall.

Rarity posted:

There are several places you can hide and Wolf can't shoot you and you can shoot her, which is part of why it's a bad fight. in the tower and under the truck

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Looper posted:

how dare

Ikr. Everyone knows Sonic has a story.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Rarity posted:

This applies to every boss in MGS4

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zaphod42 posted:

This applies to every boss in MGS4

The actual metal gear fight is super good.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Rarity posted:

Oh would you look at that

:smug:

looks like posts by you are... not such a rarity

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Acerbatus posted:

Can you still get What Did I Do To Deserve This, My Lord and Corpse Party Book of Shadows on vita? It hink they were orginally PSP games.

I think basically all the best digital only PSP stuff was available on Vita too, but I don't recall.

Dunno. I'm mostly going to use it as an emulation station since it has a nicer screen than the 3DS and most GBA and SNES games work well enough. I do want Danganronpa though and I may pick up a few games before the store shuts down.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

Watching Hunting Horn Weapon videos so I can be useful in my weekend MP monhun session. How's everyone else doing today?

Watch this person absolutely dunk on HR Magnamalo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOr8bU-P8Mc

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Acerbatus posted:

There are several places you can hide and Wolf can't shoot you and you can shoot her, which is part of why it's a bad fight. in the tower and under the truck

I'm hiding under the truck but I've been here 15 minutes and I've seen her for about 5 seconds

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Zaphod42 posted:

Here's my newbie souls advise:

- the beginning is harder than the end, don't get discouraged. You will struggle on the first few bosses but once it 'clicks' you'll roll through tons of bosses later on.

- losing souls sucks but as you get further in the game you'll get more souls anyways, and levels really aren't that important. Don't sweat it if you lose souls.

- if you get stuck, anything can be beaten with the power of friendship (summoning friends is like choosing to lower the difficulty for a boss, which is fine and good and fun)

Take your time, be observant, read item descriptions, and have fun :)

Sekiro's world is really cool and the boss fights are the best swordfighting I've ever experienced in a game. The way you feel bosses pressure you, but then as you learn them you turn it around and pressure them, it feels incredible.

But the simple fact you can't summon friends to help if you're stuck on a tough boss means it turns off a ton of people.

My newbie souls advice:

- Shields can block almost any attack. Even if a dude has a 50 feet sword, your shield can block it.

- When you roll and dodge, you are completely invulnerable for part of the roll, even though it seems you should get hit by the sword/magic/whatever. These are called iframes, and if you are new to the genre no one tells you about this and just assume it's info everyone knows.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Walla posted:

Pay for shipping and it's yours. It's only worth maybe $40. I'm not going to send it out until I get my Vita up and working, so probably another 10 days or so. Once I buy myself PMs I'll message you for your address. And I'll post my physical discs for it when I get home tonight.

Awesome. Just let me know.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ymgve posted:

My newbie souls advice:

- Shields can block almost any attack. Even if a dude has a 50 feet sword, your shield can block it.

- When you roll and dodge, you are completely invulnerable for part of the roll, even though you seem you should get hit by the sword/magic/whatever. These are called iframes, and if you are new to the genre no one tells you about this and just assume it's info everyone knows.

Also due to only having so many iframes, it is often better to (counter-intuitively) dodge INTO an attack, rather than AWAY from. (If you dodge away, after you finish the roll you'll get hit by the sword. If you dodge into, you're invincible while passing through the sword, and then by the time you've lost iframes you're past the sword and safe)

But there's some enemies with grab attacks that will ignore your dodge, so those you want to dodge straight back and away. All bosses are basically about learning their tells and their tricks.

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Harrow posted:

Watch this person absolutely dunk on HR Magnamalo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOr8bU-P8Mc

What's with the Sekiro grappling hook mechanic!?

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
As usual, I just throw poo poo into this thread, but is Northgard good? I have it on my wishlist from some random time looking at it and it seeming cool, but with it now on sale I should actually do the basics of consumer do diligence and ask a forum I respect if said game is good.

No I have not searched for a thread.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

mkvltra posted:

What's with the Sekiro grappling hook mechanic!?

Wirebugs are one of the new things for MH Rise. They let you grappling hook jump/slide/swing around and also factor into new special moves for every weapon. Oh and you can run straight up walls after using a wirebug to grapple on. Also? They rule.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Is Outriders a Destiny

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I don't think there's a Northgard thread anyway.

Personally, I wasn't too enthused by it? It seemed very simplistic, to be honest. You take provinces on a real-time map and hold them by placing a number of buildings on them, which will also generate resources for you, etc., the usual basically. It didn't really seem to have anything going for it other than being a basically okay-ish Viking themed RTS. If that's all you want, then you could certainly do worse at 10$ or whatever it is right now. I don't think I'd pay full price for it, though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Harrow posted:

Wirebugs are one of the new things for MH Rise. They let you grappling hook jump/slide/swing around and also factor into new special moves for every weapon. Oh and you can run straight up walls after using a wirebug to grapple on. Also? They rule.

TBF, World had the clutch claw and you could totally spiderman your way through levels by zooping up to bugs, so its more of an evolution of how it plays than something totally new.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Also they can flip you right out of getting hit by an attack.

Although that said sometimes getting hit and just lying on the ground in MH is a very powerful play in itself.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Saint Freak posted:

Although that said sometimes getting hit and just lying on the ground in MH is a very powerful play in itself.

Just like fighting games!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

TBF, World had the clutch claw and you could totally spiderman your way through levels by zooping up to bugs, so its more of an evolution of how it plays than something totally new.

Yeah, they're like a more versatile clutch claw. The main thing is that you can grapple onto thin air now because it's the bug you're grappling onto, and the wider variety of fancy wire attacks that weapons get. They also let you recover from being knocked back really quickly (though there's no iframes on it so you can also easily eat poo poo if you do it at the wrong time).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Also I've posted this before but since we're talking about MH Rise's additional mobility mechanics, check out what you can do with a gunlance now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9qVUY1OdT8

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Well Crying Wolf is down, that was incredibly lame

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Help Im Alive posted:

Is Outriders a Destiny

Not really, it seems to be more like a Borderlands- it has loot grinding but it's a bounded experience that might periodically expand but is in theory possible to reach the end of

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Help Im Alive posted:

Is Outriders a Destiny

I think it's somewhere between Destiny and The Division

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

CubeTheory posted:

I think it's somewhere between Destiny and The Division

I've checked my dictionary and it looks like that makes it Discard

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Metal Gear Solid 1, 2, and 3 had real good boss fights, but then after that the boss fight creativity went out the window.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Rarity posted:

Well Crying Wolf is down, that was incredibly lame

I half expected otacon to come running out of nowhere and burst into tears for no reason

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I said come in! posted:

Metal Gear Solid 1, 2, and 3 had real good boss fights, but then after that the boss fight creativity went out the window.

Peace Walker had both the best and worst fights, Rising was pure gold though.

"hey snake remember the time you fought a dragon"

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Laughing Octopus/MG Rex vs Ray/Screaming Mantis/the final boss are all pretty good imho

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I said come in! posted:

Laughing Octopus is one of the best in the series. The Peace Walker from Peace Walker was fun to fight too but the bosses are all 'hit the robot's weak point to make big numbers' which gets old fast.

Other than that though yeah, there isn't much to write home about. I can't even remember if V had any bosses.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I never cared for the MGS boss fights. They always felt really contrived and hokey, like a literal interpretation of an old NES game screen. But with more realistic graphics it just feels too goofy to me.

I do like the bosses as characters though, generally. 4's were the worst, 3's were the best.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
All the Revengeance bosses are better than all the main series bosses but that's cheating because it's not the same kind of game

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
OTACON THERE IS NO DISK 2

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

haveblue posted:

All the Revengeance bosses are better than all the main series bosses but that's cheating because it's not the same kind of game
Kinda true. Main series MGS has a lot of conceptually cool boss fights, but very few of them are actually fun to fight. On the other hand, every Revengeance is fun to fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

I never cared for the MGS boss fights. They always felt really contrived and hokey, like a literal interpretation of an old NES game screen. But with more realistic graphics it just feels too goofy to me.

I do like the bosses as characters though, generally. 4's were the worst, 3's were the best.

I think I like them because they're contrived and hokey, if that makes sense.