Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
poll
This poll is closed.
answer 1 9 8.33%
answer 2 15 13.89%
answer 3 48 44.44%
answer 4 36 33.33%
Total: 108 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Harrow posted:

I think I like them because they're contrived and hokey, if that makes sense.

Sure. Different strokes for different folks. Its all relative taste.

They're almost more like puzzles with a bit of a time limit rather than "fights" in the traditional sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
The End is the pinnacle of mgs boss fights imo

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

The End is the pinnacle of mgs boss fights imo

quiet is so much worse, it was such a disappointment

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Sure. Different strokes for different folks. Its all relative taste.

That sort of reminds me of how I feel about FFXII. I realized a while ago while talking about the game that I could make a list of reasons it's great, and someone who hates it could make a list of reasons it sucks, and those lists would be like 80% the same.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I think MGS3 strikes the best balance of wacky gimmicks and actual fun. The End, The Boss and The Fear are all seared into my memory decades later (and The Sorrow but not for fun reasons).

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Harrow posted:

That sort of reminds me of how I feel about FFXII. I realized a while ago while talking about the game that I could make a list of reasons it's great, and someone who hates it could make a list of reasons it sucks, and those lists would be like 80% the same.
Realizing something very much like that is why I barely argue about video games anymore. There's a difference between liking something and having to think that's it's objectively good. Too many people get hung up on one and waste their time defending it as if it had to be the other.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
he doesn't get brought up as much as the cobras but i really like the ocelot fight in 3

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Harrow posted:

Yeah absolutely. I'm replaying FFXII with my gf right now, and we just finished playing 6 and 7 earlier, so we're finding it refreshing that you can program the combat and then just let it do its thing most of the time, since we've just done a ton of JRPGing anyways. I like the Star Wars story for what it is also. (The remaster's "speed up time" feature is a godsend for plowing through fights, and the international release zodiac class system changing the license boards is very welcome)

And on the flipside, FFXIII seems to be the same for me too. I try talking to the people who really like it and the things they say make it good just sound awful to me. I've tried 3 times to give it a solid chance and I just can't like that game.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Acerbatus posted:

MH games have stories? Never really played them butI thought they were basically on the level of sonic or mario.

MHW has had the most cinematic story so far, but even then it boiled down to "zorah magdaros (a 500ft tall walking volcano) is walking somewhere! we are a scientific expedition following it to see where it's going and why!" and then more stuff happens as you get clues to the mystery

MHR story is so far "our village is under threat of a monster stampede the likes of which we haven't seen in a hundred years. please god defend us and maybe we can figure out why it happens" and presumably more stuff will happen but i haven't gotten to it yet!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Monster Hunter's story is always "we have to balance our lives with nature, but these monsters are upsetting the life cycle so we need to kill them, but its for good reasons we're totally environmentalists not poachers"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah absolutely. I'm replaying FFXII with my gf right now, and we just finished playing 6 and 7 earlier, so we're finding it refreshing that you can program the combat and then just let it do its thing most of the time, since we've just done a ton of JRPGing anyways. I like the Star Wars story for what it is also. (The remaster's "speed up time" feature is a godsend for plowing through fights, and the international release zodiac class system changing the license boards is very welcome)

:hmmyes:

I also just really enjoy coming up with party builds and job combos for its own sake. The game doesn't really require optimization, but it has enough fun things to play with that it's a good time for me to put together the pieces into different cool combos just for the hell of it.

Cardiovorax posted:

Realizing something very much like that is why I barely argue about video games anymore. There's a difference between liking something and having to think that's it's objectively good. Too many people get hung up on one and waste their time defending it as if it had to be the other.

I've definitely found that I have a better time posting about video games now that I just don't really bother posting about games I don't like. I'd much rather post way too many words about games I love. I do sometimes still get too drawn into defending a game I like that someone else doesn't but I'm getting better at knowing when to just leave it at "I just think it's neat :shobon:" and move on.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Looper posted:

he doesn't get brought up as much as the cobras but i really like the ocelot fight in 3

It's extremely "wild west showdown" and I love it

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Monster Hunter's story is always "we have to balance our lives with nature, but these monsters are upsetting the life cycle so we need to kill them, but its for good reasons we're totally environmentalists not poachers"
that's mostly just world. the story in 3 was "hey that guy's causing earthquakes kill his rear end". pretty sure the stories in 1 and 2 were both just "we built a cool fort sure hope a monster doesn't attack it haha"

4 uhhh something about a rock

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Zaphod42 posted:

Dunno. Can you really call it poaching in the modern sense of the word when you live in a world where megafauna can grow into literal island-sized wandering volcanoes?

Harrow posted:

I've definitely found that I have a better time posting about video games now that I just don't really bother posting about games I don't like. I'd much rather post way too many words about games I love. I do sometimes still get too drawn into defending a game I like that someone else doesn't but I'm getting better at knowing when to just leave it at "I just think it's neat :shobon:" and move on.
I sometimes like to post criticisms of games I disliked to help people avoid games that I thought have legitimate flaws, but yeah, I'm with you there. It makes life so much more chill once you internalize the idea that there really is no accounting for taste.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It turns out the real Monster Hunter is Nergigante

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

I sometimes like to post criticisms of games I disliked to help people avoid games that I thought have legitimate flaws, but yeah, I'm with you there. It makes life so much more chill once you internalize the idea that there really is no accounting for taste.

Something I've noticed about myself is that I'm often more critical (and a lot more verbose) about games I really love than games I don't like. I've posted a lot of detailed critical stuff about, like, BotW, FF9, and Persona 5 and stuff like that, but at the end of the day I only bothered thinking that hard about those games because I love them.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I have zero fondness or nostalgia for a Vita, but at least it came in orange which is better than most systems can say

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

When I really don't like a game I tend to post one or two posts complaining about the issues I had (hoping there's a workaround I'm missing, or to warn others like you said) but then I'll move on!

The threads I visit every day are the games I love in my heart of hearts.

I don't get how some people keep following a game day after day after day just to tell people they're wrong and its bad. Although I do follow Star Citizen so I guess I'm guilty too.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Harrow posted:

Something I've noticed about myself is that I'm often more critical (and a lot more verbose) about games I really love than games I don't like. I've posted a lot of detailed critical stuff about, like, BotW, FF9, and Persona 5 and stuff like that, but at the end of the day I only bothered thinking that hard about those games because I love them.
Yeah, I've also made that experience. It's because they're so good that every little flaw feels that much more upsetting. They did everything else so right that it throws the aspects where they could have done better in sharper relief.

Zaphod42 posted:

I don't get how some people keep following a game day after day after day just to tell people they're wrong and its bad. Although I do follow Star Citizen so I guess I'm guilty too.
Pointing and laughing at the spectacle should be excused, I think.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

im not sure which one is worse: the vague vibe of colonialism in MHW or the sheer silliness of the quest descriptions in Rise and the old games ("hunter please! i want to go picking flowers but there's a monster somewhere in the same zip code!! kill it!!!!!")

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The way you can tell I bounced off a game is if I'm posting in a game's thread for a while, start posting a few mild critiques/things I didn't like, then just quietly stop posting about it at all

sorry, bravely default 2, you do some cool things but just didn't really grab me like I'd hoped

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

It's extremely "wild west showdown" and I love it

Go up to him and spin your revolver during the fight

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

of course monster hunter also takes place in a ffx-esque postapocalypse where monsters created by man turned around and punished him for his own hubris, and now people are scattered across the land in small villages for fear of attracting monsters if they develop too much

the ps2 games and mh3 were cool because instead of village quests being single player and multiplayer being confined to the guild hall, you went from offline village to online town. going to bigger and busier places to cooperate with other hunters on harder hunts. the biggest town in the hunterverse is dundorma which by its nature had to become a giant anti-monster fortress covered in weapons and full of hunters

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

homeless snail posted:

of course monster hunter also takes place in a ffx-esque postapocalypse where monsters created by man turned around and punished him for his own hubris, and now people are scattered across the land in small villages for fear of attracting monsters if they develop too much

It does?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

homeless snail posted:

the ps2 games and mh3 were cool because instead of village quests being single player and multiplayer being confined to the guild hall, you went from offline village to online town. going to bigger and busier places to cooperate with other hunters on harder hunts. the biggest town in the hunterverse is dundorma which by its nature had to become a giant anti-monster fortress covered in weapons and full of hunters

Oh poo poo that's really cool

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

sin would get absolutely wrecked in monhun land

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Was going to crack on some effortposts but then my laptop's WiFi died, the world is conspiring against me :argh:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Turns out it actually does: https://monsterhunter.fandom.com/wiki/Ancient_Civilization

Although it doesn't seem as if they made the monsters, just hella exploited them.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

according to an artbook. its not something they ever address in game because idk that anyone living in the games knows or cares about it, but maps have occasionally had weird modern elements or talk about ruins of ancient fallen civilizations, especially the ones where elder dragons have their nests

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cardiovorax posted:

Turns out it actually does: https://monsterhunter.fandom.com/wiki/Ancient_Civilization

Although it doesn't seem as if they made the monsters, just hella exploited them.

The idea of a civilization as a whole pulling a Frankenstein with dragons filling in as the mob angry at the defiance of the laws of God and Man owns

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Now I'm watching Revengeance boss fights on youtube and I had forgotten just how much awesome dumbshit action movie stuff they had (like how the boss tends to explode at the moment Raiden sheathes his sword)

Kinda wish we had gotten current-gen ports of this instead of Bayonetta and Vanquish

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I picked "answer 2" because Jak II.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

haveblue posted:

Now I'm watching Revengeance boss fights on youtube and I had forgotten just how much awesome dumbshit action movie stuff they had (like how the boss tends to explode at the moment Raiden sheathes his sword)

Kinda wish we had gotten current-gen ports of this instead of Bayonetta and Vanquish

I'm playing the Steam version right now, it's great!

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Ive had such a weird mental image in my head thinking of Balan Wonderland. Someone said the game looked like an asset flip and I got a very distinct visual of exactly the ways in which I hated them, but I couldn't think of what I was comparing them to. Well, three days later, I finally figured it out.

e: ironaically it was Fishopolis who said it ^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1pf9sSpQzA&t=738s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lJhcmuMeBA&t=20s

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I'm playing the Steam version right now, it's great!
Yeah, the Steam version still looks excellent, although that doesn't do console players a lot of good.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's a real shame that Konami and the Metal Gear brand mysteriously ceased to exist in 2014. A Revengeance sequel on modern hardware would be absolutely wonderful.

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Ive had such a weird mental image in my head thinking of Balan Wonderland. Someone said the game looked like an asset flip and I got a very distinct visual of exactly the ways in which I hated them, but I couldn't think of what I was comparing them to. Well, three days later, I finally figured it out.

e: ironaically it was Fishopolis who said it ^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1pf9sSpQzA&t=738s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lJhcmuMeBA&t=20s

I feel like the developers of Balan Wonderland are trying to emulate / pay homage to the aesthetic quality of Nights into Dreams.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

i know if it did exist it probably wouldve leaked by now, but the theories around whether the nier remake is going to include an extra ending (like maybe the ending that was in one of the follow-up light novels) are very fun to watch flying around

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I can't wait to play disco elysium again

Again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Is it ok to just ignore the rampage quests in MH Rise I don't wanna do these