Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Like I said earlier Walker is what happens when someone who has been a direct beneficiary of "the system" all his life contrasts with people who have done their best but get fundamentally screwed over somewhere along the line like Bucky and Sam.

Steve was deliberately chosen because he knew what it was like to be disadvantaged in ways that can't be fought directly and still come out of it a decent, ethical guy. Walker so far shows no understanding of what that's like. Doesn't make him a monster or even a bad person, but it's easy to see why loads of people dislike him-- he's exactly what non-fans think heroes like Superman or Captain America are before getting to know them.

The problem is people tend to see the hate posts and well, it's endemic of US culture to see the majority culture pounce on any chance to cosplay as the persecuted minority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I was just explaining to my 8yo that the 3 groups in the show as of now are in a position where none of them are absolutely right and none are absolutely wrong, depending on your position in which you see their actions. He thinks the flag smashers are absolutely right, and for that I’m proud of him. But I warned him that they may have done hosed up stuff we haven’t seen. And while Walker seems like an rear end in a top hat he did some heroic stuff. But nuance and that everyone thinks they’re in the right is something that’s interesting to discuss with a kid that doesn’t have the burden of knowledge.

Also I had to explain ptsd, but we’ve had some tragedy in our lives and it just put a name to what our family has been dealing with. I didn’t let him watch wandavision because it was rough fort he adults to get through even with the trite sentiments.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

TK-42-1 posted:

He thinks the flag smashers are absolutely right, and for that I’m proud of him.

That's it, I'm calling CPS.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

the cool parent squad? hell yeah

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

TK-42-1 posted:

the cool parent squad? hell yeah

That teach your kid how to smoke and play with fireworks.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, Walker comes off as some guy who grew up not wanting anything, probably coasted through school, was the big sports hero all the way through, probably joined up right after graduation, ended up in situations that let him be a hero constantly and never really once having any real roadblocks to his advancement.

Also its really hard to keep seeing John Walker everywhere because that's my Dad's name.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, Walker comes off as some guy who grew up not wanting anything, probably coasted through school, was the big sports hero all the way through, probably joined up right after graduation, ended up in situations that let him be a hero constantly and never really once having any real roadblocks to his advancement.

Captain White Privilege.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Also its really hard to keep seeing John Walker everywhere because that's my Dad's name.
Sorry bro. Respect.

That does make me wonder if Johnnie Walker ever tried to sue Marvel.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
And what about his brothers Blackie and Red

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Azhais posted:

And what about his brother Blackie

You can't call Battlestar that!

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Masonity posted:

You can't call Battlestar that!

I do wish someone would point at Bucky and tell Battlestar that "You know that since he's half-Cylon, you're kind of boned, right?"

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Everyone posted:

I do wish someone would point at Bucky and tell Battlestar that "You know that since he's half-Cylon, you're kind of boned, right?"

Two of the big three - an alien and an android.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I have been really into the first two episodes of Falcon/Punch and so I subbed D+ and watched Winter Soldier and Civil War in the mean time.

Holy poo poo, Winter Soldier is an awesome flick! The action stunts are top tier and Chris Evans stunt/fight coordinator is just a master at making Chris entertaining in the most exciting way possible. His fights with Bucky are INSANE!!

Civil War, on the other hand, is a runny turd of a flick and watching it back to back puts in very stark relief how much less the action pops in that film.

What time does the new episode go up, EST?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
1am EST iirc

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

3 AM, usually.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Holy poo poo, Winter Soldier is an awesome flick! The action stunts are top tier and Chris Evans stunt/fight coordinator is just a master at making Chris entertaining in the most exciting way possible. His fights with Bucky are INSANE!!

The Fury attack is still the best action scene in the MCU.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Bust Rodd posted:

I have been really into the first two episodes of Falcon/Punch and so I subbed D+ and watched Winter Soldier and Civil War in the mean time.

Civil War, on the other hand, is a runny turd of a flick and watching it back to back puts in very stark relief how much less the action pops in that film.

What time does the new episode go up, EST?

Yeah. I love how Bucky's robot arm isn't just generic super strength. You see and hear in the movie when he's activating servos and using the arm to overpower his opponents. The knife fight scene is great for that. Such a good detail.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Who directed the winter soldier movie and did he/she do anything else?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah there was something I loved about how practical his use of the arm is. Just walking toward someone with his hand outstretched, basically slapping the bullets away, all good stuff.

That’s why watching Civil War bummed me out, it’s like the entire movies budget went into the airport scene and every other action sequence is just lackluster, IMO.

Gonna finish the other 3 Avengers movies next, I’m gonna get the most value from my $8 lol

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

This show seems like kind of a miss for me. Wandavision had me hooked with “what’s the endgame schtick here” even if the first two episodes didn’t immediately ramp the intensity up to 100. This one just seems like a six part buddy cop superhero action flick which honestly isn’t all that interesting to me. I’ll keep going because production values are high and at the very least it’s something to watch during quarantine but I don’t really feel the watercooler chat-ability of this one, which I guess I was kind of hoping for. Which is really my fault for having the wrong expectations.

Just biding my time until Loki.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Zzulu posted:

Crap Oscar bait.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Bust Rodd posted:

Fun fact, the dudes who made John Wick were second unit directors on Civil War. This isn't meant as a defense of the action in civil war, it's just interesting that's pretty much Leitch and Stahelski's only Marvel Studios credit.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

live with fruit posted:

Two of the big three - an alien and an android.

Plus, he read The Hobbit in 1937 when it first came out, so... honorary wizard, too?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Zzulu posted:

Is this an honest question or you April foolsing me?

the russo brothers directed it, civil war, infinity war, and endgame

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Zzulu posted:

No much else, but they did let him have a cameo in Endgame.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Winter Soldier is the best MCU flick. Also it was directed by the Russos... it was their first Marvel Movie and I wanna say their first movie they directed ever? Before that they had done a lot of work on TV sitcoms, they worked on Community and did a lot of stuff directing the first Paintball episodes in that show which was probably their biggest “action” work before Winter Soldier which is hilarious.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

BlackJosh posted:

Winter Soldier is the best MCU flick. Also it was directed by the Russos... it was their first Marvel Movie and I wanna say their first movie they directed ever? Before that they had done a lot of work on TV sitcoms, they worked on Community and did a lot of stuff directing the first Paintball episodes in that show which was probably their biggest “action” work before Winter Soldier which is hilarious.

Well, that is some next level "beginners' luck."

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah there was something I loved about how practical his use of the arm is. Just walking toward someone with his hand outstretched, basically slapping the bullets away, all good stuff.

That’s why watching Civil War bummed me out, it’s like the entire movies budget went into the airport scene and every other action sequence is just lackluster, IMO.

Which is funny because that movie has one of the craziest practicals of all the Marvel movies. The highway chase/fight is almost all practical, but you don't really feel it watching the final product.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lJ6_HE4Dnw

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Everyone posted:

Well, that is some next level "beginners' luck."

The paintball episodes are dope and extremely well done. My partner and I just binged the whole show for the first time those were some of our favorites.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

I don't disagree with your opinion enough to fight it, but gonna :goonsay: a hair and "actually" point out that Bucky's arm outstretched was in Civil War and that the action sequence with him and Cap fighting the cops is really good until Black Panther shows up, at which point I think it's still good but definitely not what Winter Soldier was going for. All the stuff with Falcon in that movie is top-tier as well.

Totally understand why you wouldn't enjoy it though, it's basically a hybrid Cap and Avengers flick and if you're not already completely on-board with that nonsense it definitely plays as action figures smashing together.

quote:

Gonna finish the other 3 Avengers movies next, I’m gonna get the most value from my $8 lol
Oh yeah you're gonna hate them, quite possibly all of them.

The first one is remarkable when you consider the context of "no one has even attempted a superhero team-up movie before, much less on this scale, and even really good superhero movies up to 2012 are only good for 2/3rds of the runtime," but its age definitely shows. It's also got the worst Cap action out of any of the movies, by far. They really hadn't figured out how to do his stuff yet and even at the time you could tell. I remember being really disappointed, and then elated when the Winter Soldier opens with the boat sequence as a proud statement "yeah we figured it out."

The second one is extremely bloated and unfocused Whedon crap from start to finish. Some of it works, some of it is downright offensive, but for the most part you just feel like no one could decide what the hell the actual point was beyond "We have to set up four future movies" and "Yeah but all the characters have to have an arc 'Save the cat' says so." Oddly because of how much it introduces it's still one of the most lore-important Marvel flicks.

The third is a deliberate inversion of Marvel formula up to that point, and unapologetic about how many characters it stuffs into it. If you didn't like Civil War I honestly can't picture you finding this one much better. It's solid though.

The fourth is almost entirely fanservice. Like really well-earned fanservice, but fanservice. It all works if you've been following most/all the movies and were already completely on-board with them, but if not it probably looks like total nonsense and garbage.

So uh yeah.... good luck with all that.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

BlackJosh posted:

Very disrespectful to Welcome to Collinwood. Appropriately disrespectful to You, Me and Dupree though.

live with fruit fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 1, 2021

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

The_Doctor posted:

Captain White Privilege.

Exactly. Funny, Bucky was probably on that tract too until he was captured and experimented by Hydra.

mind the walrus posted:

Sorry bro. Respect.

That does make me wonder if Johnnie Walker ever tried to sue Marvel.

Its probably common enough name to avoid it.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

Exactly. Funny, Bucky was probably on that tract too until he was captured and experimented by Hydra.

Its probably common enough name to avoid it.

Well losing an arm would still qualify as loss of privilege as war amputees aren't treated well, only with pity. Bucky would had a hard time finding work after the war ended even if the military found him

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

gyrobot posted:

Well losing an arm would still qualify as loss of privilege as war amputees aren't treated well, only with pity. Bucky would had a hard time finding work after the war ended even if the military found him

Wasn't Bucky technically a POW for like, 90 years? He is entitled to 90 years of back promotions and pay. Sergeant Major Bucky, entire right half of his uniform covered with overseas service stripes

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

gyrobot posted:

Being mind raped and frozen off and on for 70 years by crypto-fascists probably informed his thinking on the evils of institutional prejudice.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I watched Avengers Last night and thought it was pretty cool, but I agree that cap looked awkward and actually just picks up a gun and starts shooting at one point, which looks so silly compared to now. I think overall I liked it a lot but Loki is just a dogshit villain who is either in total control or completely helpless at a moment's notice. Ruffalo owns everyone else in the cast hard in terms of acting. Hawkeye was way, way more badass than I remembered, sucks that he is a villain. Thor with long hair looks like total poo poo but I love Chris Hemsworth. I don't understand who that agent who died is or why anyone thinks him dying is the thing that will unite the Avengers and make them work together.

Basically i'm just stuck wishing we got a full mark Ruffalo got a stand alone Hulk movie with this awesome take on the character. Every Hulk scene is just electric.

I'll knock out Age of Ultron before the new episode tonight, and then do Infinity War + End Game this weekend to keep the good times rolling.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Coulson shows up in all the phase 1 movies so he's known to the audience and the characters so his death is supposed to have more emotional weight. But also he comes back in the probably not canon tv show, which undercuts everything in a pretty funny way.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Marsupial Ape posted:

Being mind raped and frozen off and on for 70 years by crypto-fascists probably informed his thinking on the evils of institutional prejudice.
Yeah lmao at people who think Bucky losing an arm was what made him rethink privilege. Wtf guys?

Bust Rodd posted:

I think overall I liked it a lot but Loki is just a dogshit villain who is either in total control or completely helpless at a moment's notice.
I mean yeah, that basically just is Loki.

Honestly I'm just glad Hiddleston is so good in the role because Loki being the primary antagonist makes it so so so much easier to slot Thor into the story without much reason.

The "actual" villain of the Avengers 1 movie isn't Loki, or even Thanos. It's all the naysayers who said the Avengers as a cinematic concept wouldn't work. The Avengers are too weird, they're too goofy, they don't go together and are constantly fighting, the whole shared-universe idea isn't "real" cinema and dumb audiences won't go for it, and in the movie itself the drama-wiener King Loki/those shadow government assholes don't want the Avengers to form. The movie's antagonist is everyone who doesn't want to see the Avengers come together and be the Avengers, and tries to get you to root for them to come together. Credit where it's due-- I think it succeeds.

quote:

Ruffalo owns everyone else in the cast hard in terms of acting.
Knowing what they do with Ruffalo's Banner character, this is lmfao so loving hard because you're right-- he's amazing in the first movie.

quote:

Hawkeye was way, way more badass than I remembered, sucks that he is a villain.
Both him and Cap feel like they're missing some intense badass sequences during the Helicarrier attack and it's got to be for budget/pacing reasons. To this day I get :goonsay: whenever Iron Man says "[Cap] kind-of lives up to the legend" when up to that specific point we've seen him do literally nothing other than barely hold his own against Loki, have the balls to tell Thor and Iron Man to shut up, and gank a few mooks while being confused by Helicarrier tech. Seriously Cap was fighting a hard uphill battle on the "badass" front until Winter Soldier.

quote:

I don't understand who that agent who died is or why anyone thinks him dying is the thing that will unite the Avengers and make them work together.
Minor supporting character from the first two Iron Man movies with a small part in the first Thor. The shared universe stuff was new and Whedon randomly chumping supporting cast to motivate the rest was part of his calling card. I feel it works, but only just barely and only because Clark Gregg is charming as hell, but yeah it hasn't aged well.

quote:

Basically i'm just stuck wishing we got a full mark Ruffalo got a stand alone Hulk movie with this awesome take on the character. Every Hulk scene is just electric.
lmfao

quote:

I'll knock out Age of Ultron before the new episode tonight, and then do Infinity War + End Game this weekend to keep the good times rolling.
Do trip reports this poo poo is enjoyable as gently caress while I'm apartment-hunting :allears:

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Apr 1, 2021

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Definitely agree that Ruffalo's Banner is amazing, but a lot of the reason it's so good is that there's times you don't want him to change, which might not work as well in a movie where he's the main draw and the selling point is naturally Hulk action. I think Thor: Ragnarok's use of him managed to strike a good balance because he wasn't the main character and so there was more room for him to be reluctant without making the movie boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Honestly the problem is that they took one look at Ruffalo's naturally higher schlub factor and said "oh ok so his job is to be the 'beta male' on the team, that way it's extra funny when he's the Hulk!" and that's where he's been stuck. Even Thor: Ragnarok has that entire scene where Banner tries to make a case for himself and Thor does that lovely Taika Waititi mugging "Is Banner useful though?"

I think the last two Avengers movies found a decent balance for the character, but Age of Ultron and Thor: Ragnarok are downright painful at times, especially knowing how good he was at first.