Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
geralt is so awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

HoboTech posted:

Just bought this on sale on Steam but haven't started yet. I suppose of everything I've heard, the only question I have is: just how depressing is this game?
I actually held off on buying/playing W3 because I got to see an awesome E3 sneak preview one year before they really nailed down the story.

In the demo, Geralt was tasked with hunting down a Lesshen. The village it had been terrorizing formerly worshiped it, but had renounced the Old Ways. You could either side with the Younger citizens and kill the animal, or side with the elders and spare it/perform rites to appease it.

The CDPR folks initially showed us what happened when you killed it-- you return and the Elders have been slain for being superstitious. You get a cutscene where it the town goes into disrepair as it's crops and hunting fail and eventually it's steamrolled by the Nilfs or something.

To show how you can play differently to suit the story, they showed the appeasement path. Geralt collects his fee and a cutscene plays that tells you that the town returned to the Old Ways and became, essentially, a Texas Chainsaw Massacre hellhole, but the Lesshen ensured they were prosperous.

The release makes the outcomes less crushing. The "peasant misery simulator" is very apt. The first area is totally medieval with muddy, gross towns and a bustling stony city, whereas a later area is more Nordic, boisterous, etc.

It actually works into how amazing the DLC is because you get one being a complex story of redemption set amidst the gloom, and the other is a colorful Mediterranean coda with actual Happy Endings.

Though, there is a quest early on that can surprise you. Just remember if you turn someone in for theft in occupied lands, the consequences might be more severe than some jail time.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

FilthyImp posted:

Though, there is a quest early on that can surprise you. Just remember if you turn someone in for theft in occupied lands, the consequences might be more severe than some jail time.

"Harsh as far as punishments go."

"Aye, but deserved."

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

Depends on your familiarity with crime and punishment in medieval societies. Horse theft and poaching were commonly punished with death sentences in many places.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I just want it on the record that there's a very obvious good answer to the Bloody Baron quest and it's not making an abused disabled woman go back to live with her abuser without her consent.

Also definitely don't read that spoiler, HoboTech.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Mar 30, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I just want it on the record that there's a very obvious good answer to the Bloody Baron quest and it's not making an abused disabled woman go back to live with her abuser without her consent.

I disagree but I also think that saving Olgierd from O'Dimm is the right thing to do. The hope for a happier ending, even if it is unlikely, is more appealing to me than resigning to grief and despair like the endings where Strenger hangs himself and Olgierd loses his soul to the Devil.

Basically, whether something has a happy ending or not is irrelevant. Trying to do right, or choosing the lesser evil is what's important.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

It's not like the alternative goes better, and one has a sliver of hope. The whole point of that story is even if the Baron repented, the consequences of his actions are already permanent. All he can do now is attempt to make amends for his transgressions. Also, getting the ending wherein Anna can make peace with her daughter and the baron involves letting the entire village of Downwarren get slaughtered by the tree spirit. The Barons abuse led to Anna making a pact that doomed the entire family. It's him to blame ultimately, but once the Crones were involved, there would be no happy ending whatsoever.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Olgierd is so relentlessly bad every time you meet him and apparently made his living beforehand doing even worse things that I'm not really sure the world is worse without him in it.

FilthyImp posted:

In the demo, Geralt was tasked with hunting down a Lesshen. The village it had been terrorizing formerly worshiped it, but had renounced the Old Ways. You could either side with the Younger citizens and kill the animal, or side with the elders and spare it/perform rites to appease it.

I think that was moved to Skellige in the main game. With so much of that area I just kept coming back to the conclusion that vikings are scum and their society deserves to crumble. Unlike the misery of the peasants of Velen who are so often subject to greater powers stepping all over them, the Skelligers are made miserable more by their own pride in their ways.

Although often things get a lot more complex, like the Velen peasants are miserable and get pushed around by other powers far beyond them, but even they got the chance to rise up one time and murder their old lord even if it didn't make anything better.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

WoodrowSkillson posted:

It's not like the alternative goes better, and one has a sliver of hope. The whole point of that story is even if the Baron repented, the consequences of his actions are already permanent. All he can do now is attempt to make amends for his transgressions. Also, getting the ending wherein Anna can make peace with her daughter and the baron involves letting the entire village of Downwarren get slaughtered by the tree spirit. The Barons abuse led to Anna making a pact that doomed the entire family. It's him to blame ultimately, but once the Crones were involved, there would be no happy ending whatsoever.

Nope sequence breaking stops Downwarren being destroyed and if you don't follow the Baron into the bog, his party get slaughtered before they even reach the Crones' houses. You kill the crones later and Anna presumably continues looking after kids sent down the trail of treats.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think that was moved to Skellige in the main game. With so much of that area I just kept coming back to the conclusion that vikings are scum and their society deserves to crumble.

Although often things get a lot more complex, like the Velen peasants are miserable and get pushed around by other powers far beyond them
It did. When I came across it I was pleased that it was a little less depressing.

Though it did set me up to think that *every * contact got one of those parchment paper animated summaries.

For Skellige, there might be hope with regime change. For the second point, they're also downtrodden being subjugated or caught up in a land war. I did 't really click to it for a while and then everything made sense.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Nope sequence breaking stops Downwarren being destroyed and if you don't follow the Baron into the bog, his party get slaughtered before they even reach the Crones' houses. You kill the crones later and Anna presumably continues looking after kids sent down the trail of treats.

Ok yes but that is also sequence breaking and thus not really applicable to a lore discussion

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

All of the crones? So your ideal solution includes bad dadding it up?

Also I thought the sequence break was patched somehow?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Ok yes but that is also sequence breaking and thus not really applicable to a lore discussion

I don't see how. The reason it changes the outcome is specifically because you're not sent there by the crones, so your actions don't get taken out on Anna. It's more like poorly implemented quest reactivity really.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

No worries, I'm ducking out of the thread until I've put some time into the game. Probably going to start sometime tonight. Thanks to everyone for preventing me from getting a refund lol

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

HoboTech posted:

Thanks to everyone for preventing me from getting a refund lol
Keep in mind the combat isn't exactly Souls like, but you're gonna be doing a lot of dodge roll/kite/parry stuff. Geralt's moveset doesn't get much development so don't let the initial clunk of fighting be a drag.

Other tips: decoction and oils only need to be crafted once. You don't have to gather ingredients every time you want to use one. Both replenish using alcohols after resting.

Oils for your blade are good. Bombs are consumable and don't auto replenish. Lol I'm wrong, sorry! Thanks goons.

Wish I had known about the decoctions in my first 20 hours :v:

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 30, 2021

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

bombs definitely replenish on meditate.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

queeb posted:

bombs definitely replenish on meditate.

They do, yeah

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

HoboTech posted:

No worries, I'm ducking out of the thread until I've put some time into the game. Probably going to start sometime tonight. Thanks to everyone for preventing me from getting a refund lol

Enjoy it! W3 really is a special experience that mostly holds up years later

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

HoboTech posted:

Feel free to keep posting, we are still really good about spoilers in here, but otherwise we look forward to your thoughts later.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

HoboTech posted:

I will give you the same advice I gave everyone else who needs some cash at the start of the game:
Go to the starter village White Orchard and kill the cows in the pen next to the town entry near the bridge. Their hides pay top coin and they respawn super quickly (just meditate for 1 hour).

They are literally cash cows.

You'll be rich. RICH I tell ya! At least it will get you over the starting hump with minimal effort.

MOOOOOOOO!

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 30, 2021

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

HoboTech posted:

also this is in the newbie guide in second post of the thread but go through all the dialogue. there's a lot of flavor there, it's all well voice-acted and animated, and there are a few quests you can gently caress up if you don't pay close attention

or there are just some subtle story beats, for example (White Orchard minor backstory spoilers): the previous lord's son was gay and having a fling with the hunter you help out, it's referenced indirectly in several places

mcbexx posted:

I will give you the same advice I gave everyone else who needs some cash at the start of the game:
Go to the starter village White Orchard and kill the cows in the pen next to the town entry near the bridge. Their hides pay top coin and they respawn super quickly (just meditate for 1 hour).

They are literally cash cows.

You'll be rich. RICH I tell ya! At least it will get you over the starting hump with minimal effort.

MOOOOOOOO!

lmao

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Mar 30, 2021

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i dunno if it's that indirectly, doesn't he just come out and tell you if you're like "monsters aren't so bad, they call me that too"

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Fur20 posted:

i dunno if it's that indirectly, doesn't he just come out and tell you if you're like "monsters aren't so bad, they call me that too"

it's been a while, but there are several hints about it and I think somewhere you find some notes that explicitly say the hunter and the lord's son had a relationship and the lord lost his poo poo

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Fritz the Horse posted:

it's been a while, but there are several hints about it and I think somewhere you find some notes that explicitly say the hunter and the lord's son had a relationship and the lord lost his poo poo

Yeah, some are more explicit than others, they just do a really good job of showing how that story ripples out through multiple characters you bump into.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
This is more of a book to game/tv show question. Does the ban on using fire magic apply only to Ciri or is it universal across all mages and sorceresses? In the books when Ciri uses fire magic she almost gets consumed by it and only survives because she cuts herself off from magic entirely. But in the games you have Triss throwing fireballs around and Sabrina Glevissig turns an entire battlefield into a burning hellscape. Then on the show you see Nilfgaard mages burning themselves out to make fireballs and Yennefer burns down a whole army without dying.

Am I misremembering things or was it only Ciri who had to avoid fire?

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

So I've got to pretend to care about work in a few minutes but here's my initial impression based off of the time I played last night:

Hey, you know that game that everyone loving loves and has been talking about for years after release? Yeah, turns out it's pretty good lol. The controls can be a little finnicky (mouse and keyboard) and I wish I could go into first person at least while riding the horse, but everything else is great. Combat isn't hard so long as you stay mobile, and even minor quests seem are engaging. Even the typical "kill a bunch of ghouls and then come back to me" quest had a nice twist at the end. I also appreciate how NPCs that aren't even involved in whatever you just did can have more information/story (like the herbalist and the wraith in the well). That kind of thing prevents it from feeling like you're just checking off a list and more like you're interacting with the world.

The peasant misery is pretty stark at first, though. All of the women crying in front of burnt down houses definitely sets the mood. Also I came across one village that had a bunch of bandits roll up after the townspeople made a big show of hiding their daughters. Combine that with the dialogue from some of the bandits and yeah that was pretty bleak and exactly the kind of thing I was worried would be the mood for the entire game, but it doesn't seem that way so I'll keep going.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah basically every side quest is good to great. and the mood does pick up, but the first bit is definitely bleaker than the rest.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

HoboTech posted:

The peasant misery is pretty stark at first, though. All of the women crying in front of burnt down houses definitely sets the mood. Also I came across one village that had a bunch of bandits roll up after the townspeople made a big show of hiding their daughters. Combine that with the dialogue from some of the bandits and yeah that was pretty bleak and exactly the kind of thing I was worried would be the mood for the entire game, but it doesn't seem that way so I'll keep going.

Out of curiosity did you do most of the sidequests in White Orchard before heading to Velen? There's a couple of quests in there that buck the trend of "poo poo sucks" and have nice outcomes. Specifically I'm thinking of a lady who lives on the riverbank needing to get back into her house and a quest where you help a farmer find his brother at the battle site.

Oh, and another question: did you choose to simulate a Witcher 2 save? When you get interviewed by Voorhis while you're getting a shave you can pick and choose a couple of plot points from the previous game that will open certain bits of side content depending on your answers.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 31, 2021

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Arcsquad12 posted:

This is more of a book to game/tv show question. Does the ban on using fire magic apply only to Ciri or is it universal across all mages and sorceresses? In the books when Ciri uses fire magic she almost gets consumed by it and only survives because she cuts herself off from magic entirely. But in the games you have Triss throwing fireballs around and Sabrina Glevissig turns an entire battlefield into a burning hellscape. Then on the show you see Nilfgaard mages burning themselves out to make fireballs and Yennefer burns down a whole army without dying.

Am I misremembering things or was it only Ciri who had to avoid fire?

My understanding is that none of the elements are off limits (except necromancy?) but fire, above the other elements is like a waterfall of magic whereas the other elements are more a trickling stream. It’s very powerful but very very easy to lose control of it. As Ciri was a novice and having a hard time learning even basic magic due to being a source, Yen just preferred if she not gently caress with it.

The show kinda implies the same give and take with the elements, only that magic is more or less controlled chaos and fire is the most chaotic of the chaos. Hence Yen “unleashing” at the end using her emotions.

Neither the book/game or show really contradict each other that I’ve seen, but just seem to explore different aspects of it.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

Out of curiosity did you do most of the sidequests in White Orchard before heading to Velen? There's a couple of quests in there that buck the trend of "poo poo sucks" and have nice outcomes. Specifically I'm thinking of a lady who lives on the riverbank needing to get back into her house and a quest where you help a farmer find his brother at the battle site.

Oh, and another question: did you choose to simulate a Witcher 2 save? When you get interviewed by Voorhis while you're getting a shave you can pick and choose a couple of plot points from the previous game that will open certain bits of side content depending on your answers.

I did a few but still felt like I was in the tutorial so I kind of just went with the main quest until the game opened up. If it's possible to go back I might, but I also realize I'll probably do another playthrough so maybe next time. Also side note, the game world is waaay bigger than I expected (which is good).

I don't know if I simulated the save but I did answer the questions, if that's the same thing. I vaguely remembered some advice from the OP that says "just say they all lived because it gets you more quests", and that was fine with me because I know gently caress all about The Witcher and didn't know who any of the people he was asking me about were. Yeah sure, I totally let, uh, Dan live. Why not?

Gameplay question: I know you can reset your skill points somehow, but are there any traps in the skill tree? So far the quick attack and a few signs have carried me pretty well in combat.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
There are a few traps but they're usually late game skills at the bottom of skill trees. In particular I believe that the Bleed Effect skills you can pick at the bottom of the Fast Attacks tree is a trap because it only applies a flat bleed damage rather than a percentage based damage stack.

Skills that only increase sign intensity tend to not be as good as skills that increase intensity and also give extra effects.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah the last quick stack perk is a massive trap. It's a flat effect, and it prevents other bleeds (eg. runestones) from applying. FCR3 fixes it.

Armor piercing in general is a trap option too, in that it seems good but the actual benefit is so low that anything else is better.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

HoboTech posted:

So I've got to pretend to care about work in a few minutes but here's my initial impression based off of the time I played last night:

Hey, you know that game that everyone loving loves and has been talking about for years after release? Yeah, turns out it's pretty good lol. The controls can be a little finnicky (mouse and keyboard) and I wish I could go into first person at least while riding the horse, but everything else is great. Combat isn't hard so long as you stay mobile, and even minor quests seem are engaging. Even the typical "kill a bunch of ghouls and then come back to me" quest had a nice twist at the end. I also appreciate how NPCs that aren't even involved in whatever you just did can have more information/story (like the herbalist and the wraith in the well). That kind of thing prevents it from feeling like you're just checking off a list and more like you're interacting with the world.

Yep! There's so much content with a fair variety that still stays in well-defined lanes. Side quests are usually cool with some kind of twist or clever dialogue or funny moment. Monster hunts tend to go like an X-Files monster-of-the-week episode. Main quests get wild and heavy and weird. Get tired of one type? Do one of the other two for a bit.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

HoboTech posted:

I did a few but still felt like I was in the tutorial so I kind of just went with the main quest until the game opened up. If it's possible to go back I might, but I also realize I'll probably do another playthrough so maybe next time. Also side note, the game world is waaay bigger than I expected (which is good).

I don't know if I simulated the save but I did answer the questions, if that's the same thing. I vaguely remembered some advice from the OP that says "just say they all lived because it gets you more quests", and that was fine with me because I know gently caress all about The Witcher and didn't know who any of the people he was asking me about were. Yeah sure, I totally let, uh, Dan live. Why not?

Gameplay question: I know you can reset your skill points somehow, but are there any traps in the skill tree? So far the quick attack and a few signs have carried me pretty well in combat.

it is by no means required, but white orchard is the ONLY area in the game that we normally recommend new players 100%. it gives you some extra skill points and essentially introduces most of the "types" of ? point of interest deals. You also get 2 cool swords.

from Velen on, do NOT feel obligated to clear the map like an ubisoft game. The rewards from ?'s are leveled to geralt, so are perfect to do as you are riding somewhere else, or when you needs some cash to buy something you want.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I had no real problem with it in Velen, and had quite a bit of fun exploring the South parts of the game that are easily avoidable.

But especially in Skellige skip basically everything not on a large island. That poo poo is not worth it

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I can't stress this enough - turn off the ? marks on the map. Just travel towards places that seem interesting. Follow roads/rivers. Pick up some jobs from the job boards.

HoboTech posted:

Yeah, that was it. Having everyone involved still alive is way more interesting.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

itry posted:

I can't stress this enough - turn off the ? marks on the map. Just travel towards places that seem interesting. Follow roads/rivers. Pick up some jobs from the job boards.

Yuuup. One of the mods I use (Friendly HUD?) cuts the discovery range to like 50m or something, and it's great.

Friendly HUD is great. Let's you disable your minimap/quest marker directional thingy so you aren't tempted to just run in a straight line towards your objective, but still have markers when you get close to stuff.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i think you can make ? marks only appear in a radius around you in the default game too.. i think?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKtOCYzCj_U

A wild Sorenova appears to give Ciri some tips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
The one thing about ?s is some of them are hiding important recipies / schematics, aren't they? Both times I've played I looked up where to get upgraded Swallow and some of the armor parts after getting to Skellige.