Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

CoolCab posted:

there were parts of the 3000 stack that were also ridiculously impossible to find. the 3300x was doing the "impossible to find in any non-bundled context" thing long before the gpus started doing it and that's still true afaik

3200g and 3400gs are still impossible to find new

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Harik posted:

Ahh, awesome, great resource. Sad to see how many of those A-tier PSUs don't exist anymore. Going to try the NXZT C850 from the A-tier, tom's found the fans don't really kick in until 400w, and don't break 30db until 500w. That should keep me at silent unless I'm gaming, and at that point the GPU fans will be the louder component.

oh god what have i done

the NZXT C850 is dead silent. Now I can hear that my exhaust 140mm has a worn bearing and ticks softly. At least that's a much cheaper fix, the Arctic P14 PWM fans are apparently nearly as good as noctuas in every category, for $14 (or $8 in a 5 pack!?!?)

Anyway, strong thumbsup for a silent PC on the NZXT C series.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I'm down to 120gb free on my 1tb SSD. I currently have a Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 on an ASRock Z370 Extreme4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard. What are the current go to for a second SSD drive? Use for that drive will probably be 100% for games downloads.

You can add another M.2 drive like the 1TB WD SN550 for ~$105USD; but you lose two more SATA slots, if that matters...

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
I just ordered a Ryzen 5. First time I’ve ever had an AMD processor. I’m not going to get burned by them am I?

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Dirk Pitt posted:

I just ordered a Ryzen 5. First time I’ve ever had an AMD processor. I’m not going to get burned by them am I?

Which one did you get?

My most recent upgrade a few months ago was to a Ryzen 7 3700X. Prior to that, I'd been Intel-only since 2007. I am very happy with my upgrade (went from an i5-7600), and it went very smoothly.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Dirk Pitt posted:

Everyone and their brother has been doing AMD builds for the last 3 years, ain't nothing to worry about (beyond the usual vagaries of precision electronics).

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Dirk Pitt posted:

Getting burns from your CPU is more of an Intel thing at the moment

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Dirk Pitt posted:

"Ryzen 5" doesn't really mean anything. There have been Ryzen 5 series chips since gen1 Ryzen. The 1600 was a "Ryzen 5"

What CPU did you specifically get? And you are probably fine, as AMD has been making great chips for 3+ years now.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Yes you will op. Riperoni

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I only added one to my cart and now I'm living in the this is fine dog's house

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Which one did you get?

My most recent upgrade a few months ago was to a Ryzen 7 3700X. Prior to that, I'd been Intel-only since 2007. I am very happy with my upgrade (went from an i5-7600), and it went very smoothly.

It’s a 3600.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The 3600 runs cool and a great value. Even the stock cooler is sufficient.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Dirk Pitt posted:

It’s a 3600.

Rest easy friend, the 3600 will bring you many frames and minimal screens o’the blue.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So what are the appreciable differences between the Ryzen 5 3600, 3600X and 3600XT? Obviously price points, but I can never wrap my head around what the different designations mean.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

neogeo0823 posted:

So what are the appreciable differences between the Ryzen 5 3600, 3600X and 3600XT? Obviously price points, but I can never wrap my head around what the different designations mean.

I think at least one of them is just slightly clocked higher? I remember that being something GN complained about - that there was a price premium for an overclock you could do yourself quite easily.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

neogeo0823 posted:

Slightly higher clocks out of the box on the X, insiginficantly moreso on the X. Iirc they all overclock about the same so it's not even binning, just market segmentation.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

neogeo0823 posted:

3600 has a base clock of 3.6 GHz and a boost clock of up to 4.2 GHz at a 65W TDP.
3600X has a base clock of 3.8 GHz and a boost clock of up to 4.4 GHz at a 95W TDP.
3600XT has a base clock of 3.8 GHz and a boost clock of up to 4.5 GHz at a 95W TDP.

That's basically it.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Cool, so basically nothing that effects me. Thanks for the info!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Dirk Pitt posted:

CPU King changes every decade or so. Intel had a good 15 year run, which made things weird for people who were too young to do builds in the 90s.

Many will be able to go further, but my builds have gone Pentium II > AMD Thunderbird > Core 2 Duo > Ryzen. I’ve literally switched CPU manufacturers every build!

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
still can't buy a card huh. that's fukken epic if you ask me

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Smythe posted:

still can't buy a card huh. that's fukken epic if you ask me

gotten worse, not better. looking that way for a bit, all sorts of problems in the supply chain - drought in taiwan on top of everything else.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

CoolCab posted:

gotten worse, not better. looking that way for a bit, all sorts of problems in the supply chain - drought in taiwan on top of everything else.

What is it about silicon production that requires so much water? They're not almonds!

I have been wondering about this for awhile now, actually

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Zarin posted:

What is it about silicon production that requires so much water? They're not almonds!

I have been wondering about this for awhile now, actually

iirc it's just a very labour intensive process and you can't operate something like that without toilets, drinking water etc.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Scythe posted:

Note that many B550 motherboards now do support 5000-series CPUs out of the box; my Gigabyte B550i (purchased this month, manufactured in Dec 2020, came with version F10 BIOS) worked right away with my 5600X even though I also got all the compatibility warnings from pcpartpicker when I was specing the system out.

If you're building outside of your case first you can always hook up a minimal set of equipment and see if it POSTs, and if so, you're golden.

Can confirm this, got the same compatibility warning for my b550 a-pro and 5600X, but the system posted right away straight out of the box

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

CoolCab posted:

iirc it's just a very labour intensive process and you can't operate something like that without toilets, drinking water etc.

Not compared to any other manufacturing.

They have to be rinsed several times with ultrapure water, and you get maybe 60 percent ultrapure out for the regular water you put in. When I say ultrapure I mean “is considered an industrial solvent” ultrapure. You can’t have any mineral content, dead bacteria; even particulate that would get through regular ultrafiltration.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Ugly In The Morning posted:

They have to be rinsed several times with ultrapure water, and you get maybe 60 percent ultrapure out for the regular water you put in. When I say ultrapure I mean “is considered an industrial solvent” ultrapure. You can’t have any mineral content, dead bacteria; even particulate that would get through regular ultrafiltration.

Interesting! Thanks for the info!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Just so you guys get the amount of water a fab uses, the GloFo plant near me uses the equivalent of a city of 30-40k.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

I work at a fairly small pharmaceutical manufacturing plant and we still go through a massive amount of water. While we are no longer making WFI (Water For Injection aka FDA says its okay to be injected into a human) grade water we still have very pure water made via steam distillation. Power requirements are high as well. So yeah, a drought can make things tough for manufacturing.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Also there is still an unprecedented plague ruining everything and add NFTs to the list of mining operations...

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Just so you guys get the amount of water a fab uses, the GloFo plant near me uses the equivalent of a city of 30-40k.

Amateurs! Bitcoin burns energy faster than Argentina sometimes while powered by water!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

DerekSmartymans posted:

Amateurs! Bitcoin burns energy faster than Argentina sometimes while powered by water!

I worked at a 1100MW combined cycle natural gas power plant and it didn’t use nearly as much water as that chip fan. Though the atmospherically cooled condenser helps recycle a ton of the demineralized water that gets used there. Not really an option for a chip fab.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

I worked at a 1100MW combined cycle natural gas power plant and it didn’t use nearly as much water as that chip fan. Though the atmospherically cooled condenser helps recycle a ton of the demineralized water that gets used there. Not really an option for a chip fab.

I will say this: have you ever seen an ice block made slowly with ultra pure water? It’s invisible!

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
I currently have a fantastic 3900x build that's doing me solid. But right now I'm going to start putting a working parts list together for a 5800x-based build.

The reason being is that 5800x is better gaming performance, so it'll be a gaming focused enthusiast build. But also it's a secondary PC for a large number of reasons. (There's multitasking stuff I would need it for + other users in the household can use it + secondary PC for backup in case one dies so I'm not screwed.)

This new one I want to be more of a 'fun showpiece' pc to have sitting in a room where it will be seen a lot by visitors, so I'll be picking parts that have some attractive RGB flash to them. (My 3900x is a professional-loooking meshify C white with chromax fans and I went for a no-RGB look.) But I want to pick something to a classy theme that's not rainbow RGB vomit.

I've got a month or three to think about this, and also I won't be moving in on doing this 'till I manage to secure a non-scalped 3070 or 3080. But I'm gonna look around for PC theme ideas.

So for now I'll be looking around for aesthetic ideas to theme it to. If anyone has some classy eye-catching looks that look nice in a living room to suggest, I'd love to see.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Alright so without thinking too much I actually managed to snag a 3090 FE from a Best Buy drop today thanks to Discord notifications.

From what I can tell they look... beefy. I've only ever done fairly normal case builds, is there anything I should consider for thermals or fancy vertical mounting or anything?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
ima just buy a 1660 gently caress sakes. kill me

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Smythe posted:

ima just buy a 1660 gently caress sakes. kill me

it's rough bud. i could give you some tips but like, you basically have to go into the worst discord in the world and trade esoteric and quite often deliberately inaccurate knowledge with the gremlins that reside within until you luck into a card.

e: honestly tho the current wisdom is literally "go buy a 970 secondhand and wait" and lol you're already there

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

CoolCab posted:

it's rough bud. i could give you some tips but like, you basically have to go into the worst discord in the world and trade esoteric and quite often deliberately inaccurate knowledge with the gremlins that reside within until you luck into a card.

e: honestly tho the current wisdom is literally "go buy a 970 secondhand and wait" and lol you're already there

yea theres no way im doing the discord drop thing lol. not in a million years.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
I have a 970 sitting on my dresser from 2 years ago if you just want to pay me shipping for it. No idea if it still works.

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat
If there's a Microcenter nearby, go get in line at 4am in case they get a delivery that morning. That's the advice I heard there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

CongoJack posted:

I have a 970 sitting on my dresser from 2 years ago if you just want to pay me shipping for it. No idea if it still works.

That's very generous considering some working ones are going for over $200, and for parts ones are going for nearly $100 in some cases.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fsrp=1&_sacat=0&_nkw=nvidia+970&_from=R40&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1

GPUs are hosed.