Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Epic High Five posted:

After half an decade in office IT, I can say I've seen worse

What up fellow kitchen to computer pipeline goon

We went to the warehouse and did coke!

Then I got an apartment right next to the office and boy did things get real bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Lib and let die posted:

What up fellow kitchen to computer pipeline goon

We went to the warehouse and did coke!

Then I got an apartment right next to the office and boy did things get real bad

In commercial kitchens the suffering is spread out equally and there is a strong commons, so the drugs of choice tend to be harmless things like weed or things only kill you via externalities like coke

In an office environment tho, it's all booze baby and that's the worst of all. Even when it's super weed heavy its overwhelmingly booze, and to top it all off you're typically indulging solo

I miss my dumpster weed sessions in the middle of a rush because what're they gonna do fire me? I've been here 4 months and thus am untouchable senior

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

See, we got to the point (I rented the apt with another engineer) where we'd be drinking so much on lunch that we needed the lines to get through the rest of the day. The dabs started at 6 am and went all day long. We could hop in the car, choke down a fat dab, fire a fat one off right to the brain, and get back to the office in the time it would take our manager to use the keurig for a fresh cup.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I tried something new tonight. grill wok.

I think I'm a grill wok guy now.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I tried something new tonight. grill wok.

oh hey that's a good goddamn idea

you could have like two pounds of charcoal going full blast under that thing

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
that was my thinking.

I dumped all of the charcoal I had into that pit because I knew it couldn't ever get too hot.

goddamn tossing rice and meat and veggies in a hemispherical pan is so fuckin fun.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

well I'm buying this thing I guess

https://www.weber.com/US/en/accessories/care/charcoal-grill-replacement-parts/8835.html

should get me right up next to the coals for maximum heat.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
I bet if you kept the coals in a chimney you could get the wok really really hot

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

yeah but I would 100% knock it over and set my house on fire

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
Yes but you'd be building a mansion in Flavortown

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

spacemang_spliff posted:

I bet if you kept the coals in a chimney you could get the wok really really hot

You can also cook a fat steak under a charcoal chimney in a few minutes, it's like a diy salamander with how crazy hot it gets.

The big weber ones are the best for this

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

oh word? that sounds super fun. researching.

e: I found this walkthrough

https://jesspryles.com/recipe/chimney-sear-method/

seems like it should be okay but she definitely does it on top and not underneath.

DR FRASIER KRANG has issued a correction as of 03:51 on Mar 31, 2021

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

just pulled the grill and chimney out today.

so what, you wait for the coals to get all white like when they're ready to be dumped into the bottom of the grill but instead you put your meat underneath the chimney. am I understanding this right?

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Voice of Labor posted:

just pulled the grill and chimney out today.

so what, you wait for the coals to get all white like when they're ready to be dumped into the bottom of the grill but instead you put your meat underneath the chimney. am I understanding this right?

Yeah, the idea is to cook it indirectly. On the top of the chimney it would be a bit smokey and the fat would drip down into the coals causing flare ups

Get two cinderblocks and a grill grate, put the steak on the grate and then the insanely hot chimney over the steak. I think I saw it on an old episode of Good Eats years ago

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

OK baizuo posted:

Yeah, the idea is to cook it indirectly. On the top of the chimney it would be a bit smokey and the fat would drip down into the coals causing flare ups

Get two cinderblocks and a grill grate, put the steak on the grate and then the insanely hot chimney over the steak. I think I saw it on an old episode of Good Eats years ago

Yeah I think I remember that one.

I think he does use the top to do like slices of pork tenderloin I think

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

found the AB method

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/dry-aged-chimney-porterhouse-recipe-2014714

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

finally found a decent deal for a baratza encore and decided to treat myself. love the incredibly satisfying and snug fit (and of course the coffee)

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The Voice of Labor posted:

electric: can be used to heat tortillas

sorry, the winner is gas

What the hell ? You can heat tortilla on gas just fine. Don't turn the gas all the way up, just keep flipping and rotating until they're done. I can do four at once if both front burners are free.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

spacemang_spliff posted:

gently caress, thats a good idea

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Since we only go the store every two weeks tops now I start to run out of fresh produce towards the end. Tonight I am down to root vegetables and frozen tilapia so I made a miso soup with tilapia, potato, carrot, and spring onions.

Having miso paste on hand has saved me so many goddamned thoughtless dinner and lunchtimes. Just throw some carbs and veggies in a broth and go

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

did you just cook the fish in the water or did you sear it first?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

did you just cook the fish in the water or did you sear it first?

I just went with a poach because it's a fish broth. I probably could've hit it with a soy sear or something but I was worried it'd fall apart if did that first

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

cool! I've never tried that but it sounds like a quick way to soup.

can someone copy paste the pork schnitzel recipe Kenji just posted to NYT cooking?

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1021973-schnitzel

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
4 kaiser rolls, 12 slices hearty sandwich bread or 12 ounces store-bought plain bread crumbs (about 3 cups/340 grams); see Note
4 boneless, center-cut pork loin chops, about 1/2-inch thick (4 to 5 ounces each), fat mostly trimmed (see Note)
Kosher salt and black pepper
2 cups/about 280 grams all-purpose flour
4 to 5 large eggs, beaten with a fork just until roughly homogenous
¼ cup/60 milliliters 80-proof vodka
2 pounds lard or clarified butter, or 1 quart oil (see Note)
Lemon wedges, lingonberry jam or cranberry sauce, for serving
Add to Your Grocery List
Ingredient Substitution Guide
PREPARATION
With a chef’s knife, cut the bread (including the crusts) into 1/2- to 1-inch cubes and spread on a baking sheet in a single layer. Set them out overnight until completely dry. Alternatively, place the baking sheet in a 200-degree oven until the bread is completely dry but not browned at all, turning and stirring occasionally, about 1 hour. Transfer dried bread to a mini chopper or food processor, and process until as fine as possible, about 1 minute.
Transfer bread crumbs to a fine-mesh strainer set over a large bowl. Sift the fine crumbs into the bowl, leaving behind coarser crumbs. Discard the coarse crumbs, or process and sift again. (You can repeat this several times, but there are diminishing returns.)
Working one at a time, place a cutlet between two sheets of parchment paper or in a heavy-duty zip-top bag. Pound with a flat mallet or the bottom of a skillet or saucepan, aiming at the thickest parts with the heel of the pan. The goal is to stretch the pork cutlets to about four times their original surface area (twice as wide, twice as long) with about 1/8-inch thickness. Do not pound so aggressively that the meat tears or frays. Transfer to a large plate or tray, season lightly with salt and pepper, and repeat with remaining cutlets.
When ready to cook, heat oven to 225 degrees. Set up a breading station next to the stove with four rimmed baking sheets or dishes large enough to fit one cutlet with plenty of space around it. Leave the one farthest from the stove empty, add flour to the second, beaten eggs to the third, and the bread crumbs to the one closest to the stove. (It will seem like too many bread crumbs, and that is OK.)
Add the vodka to a small bowl. Nearby, have a pastry brush, a clean kitchen towel, a timer, a large fork or thin slotted spatula, a large plate lined with paper towels, extra paper towels, a cooling rack set in a rimmed sheet pan, a fine-mesh fat skimmer in a small saucepan or heatproof bowl, and an instant-read thermometer.
When ready to cook, heat the lard in a large wok, Dutch oven or deep, steep-walled sauté pan over medium-high until it registers 375 to 400 degrees on the instant-read thermometer. Adjust flame to maintain that temperature throughout the cooking process.
Working one at a time, place a cutlet in the empty rimmed baking sheet. Brush the meat with vodka, completely covering both sides with a thin layer. Immediately transfer the cutlet to the flour. Gently shake the baking sheet. Then, using your fingertips, pick up the cutlet from one edge and flip it over. Shake the baking sheet again to coat the second side with flour. Pick up the cutlet with your fingertips, shake gently to knock off excess flour, then inspect to ensure that there is a thin, even layer of flour across the whole cutlet. If necessary, re-dredge it to cover up any un-floured spots, but be careful not to fold the cutlet, which can cause the flour to bunch.
Lay the cutlet onto the eggs. Shake the baking sheet gently. Using your fingertips, pick up the cutlet from one edge and flip it over. Pick up the cutlet with your fingertips, allowing excess egg to drain for a few seconds, then inspect to ensure that the cutlet is thoroughly coated. If necessary, dip the cutlet back into the egg to cover any dry spots.
Transfer the cutlet to the bread crumbs. Using your fingers, scoop crumbs from around the cutlet and pile them on top, completely covering the cutlet. Do not press on the crumbs or cutlet at any point. Shake the baking sheet for a few seconds. Then, using your fingertips, pick up the cutlet from one edge, flip it, and return it to the bread crumbs. Shake the baking sheet, then pick up the cutlet with your fingertips and gently shake off excess crumbs, being careful not to fold or crease the cutlet.
Carefully lay the cutlet onto the hot fat, starting near you and draping it away from you to avoid accidentally splashing yourself with hot oil. As fast as you can, wipe your fingers clean on the kitchen towel. Then, start swirling the pan, allowing the fat to splash over and around the cutlet for exactly 30 seconds. Using the fork or a thin, slotted spatula, pick up the cutlet from one edge and carefully flip it, being careful not to splash hot fat. Continue to cook, swirling. The cutlet should start to puff and inflate. Keep cooking while swirling until the cutlet is golden brown and crisp, about 1 to 1 1/2 minutes.
Using the fork or slotted spatula, pick up the cutlet from one edge and transfer to the paper towel-lined plate. Blot the top very gently with an extra paper towel, then transfer to the rack on the rimmed baking sheet and transfer to the oven to keep warm. Use the fine-mesh strainer to skim off the foam and remove as many stray bread crumbs from the fat as possible.
Reheat the fat to 375 to 400 degrees and repeat Steps 7 to 11 for the remaining cutlets.
Serve cutlets immediately with lemon wedges, lingonberry jam or cranberry sauce.
Tips
Store-bought canned plain bread crumbs work well here and eliminate the time it takes for the bread to dry. (If using them, skip Step 1.) For homemade crumbs, kaiser rolls are the traditional choice, and if you have a local bakery or supermarket that bakes them fresh, use them. Don’t use shelf-stable bagged kaiser rolls; they’ll be too soft. Any hearty white sandwich bread with a fine hole structure will also work. (But don’t use sourdough, baguettes, any other rustic, crusty breads, or brioche.)
The more uniform the pork loin chops, the better the coating will puff. This recipe will also work with veal, chicken breast, turkey breast, or pork sirloin cutlets. If using chicken or turkey, take time to gently pound them out to avoid tearing the more delicate meat.
Lard or clarified butter will give the pork better flavor, but oil will also work fine. After frying, allow the fat to sit until cool enough to handle, then pour it through a fine-mesh strainer lined with paper towels or a coffee filter into a bowl. Transfer to a container to store for future use. The same fat can be used for several dozen fries until it becomes too dark and starts to develop a fishy aroma.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

thanks!

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

*whistling nonchalantly as this drops out of my trenchcoat pocket and I wander away* https://github.com/iamadamdev/bypass-paywalls-chrome/blob/master/README.md

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

well I'm buying this thing I guess

https://www.weber.com/US/en/accessories/care/charcoal-grill-replacement-parts/8835.html

should get me right up next to the coals for maximum heat.

update: I ended up finding a different manufacturer that makes grille inserts for a Weber that are cast iron (with the removable middle circle) so I went with that.

by this time next week i should be elbow deep in high heat wok cooking.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Made french toast with the fancy publix bakery cinnamon bread. 10/10.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I made buttermilk pancakes tonight and I replaced the buttermilk with yogurt/whole milk whisked together because mine was rancid.

this made the pancakes a little thicker so I added more milk. they were still kinda thick so I would sorta smear them around with the ladle as I spooned them out.

my question is how do I flip a fatty pancake without it splooshing out the insides and making a weird raw perimeter?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i cant help you with your current issue but the best option to avoid spoiled buttermilk is to buy the powdered version, it works great

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

i cant help you with your current issue but the best option to avoid spoiled buttermilk is to buy the powdered version, it works great

ugh that's probably a good idea. I'm only going to the grocery store every six weeks because the limited covid hours don't line up with my work schedule

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

bonus with buttermilk powder: you can make your own ranch dressing powder and sprinkle that poo poo on everything

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Crusty Nutsack posted:

bonus with buttermilk powder: you can make your own ranch dressing powder and sprinkle that poo poo on everything

nooo what are you doing stop that's too tempting

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Fuckin just lopped off the top 2mm off my index finger. Goddamn.

Dinner will continue though. It must. Pan fried vermicelli with thin sliced pork and mushrooms.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Fuckin just lopped off the top 2mm off my index finger. Goddamn.

Dinner will continue though. It must. Pan fried vermicelli with thin sliced pork and mushrooms.

knife or something else? I lost about a quarter-inch of flesh on a mandolin incident cutting carrots a couple years back. fuckin sucked, but the chicken noodle soup turned out well after a wife-insistant trip to the ER. Got down to the nail bed and it took a goodly number of weeks until I didn't have to dress it

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

yeah knife.

it's just the most annoying thing. like if you hit your finger and get a cut it sucks because you're constantly flexing it but if you cut the literal tip of your finger it will just bleed continually and there's nothing you can do.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

yeah knife.

it's just the most annoying thing. like if you hit your finger and get a cut it sucks because you're constantly flexing it but if you cut the literal tip of your finger it will just bleed continually and there's nothing you can do.

yuuuuuuuup. nothing to stitch so all you can do is dress it and wait :(

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

learn to cut using your knuckles as guides, you can use a claw grip thing where your thumb pushes the food forward (asking for trouble) or the weight of your hand keeps it stable while the knife is guided by the downward slope of your knuckle, with your hand moving back a bit with each slice

it takes a bit to get to muscle memory but it beats losing a fingertip and like a pint of blood because goddamn do those cuts bleed. Last time it happened to me I just poured liquid bandage on it until it set fast enough to staunch it so I had this blood filled marble off my index finger

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

that or just get two big cleavers and chop everything Swedish Chef style

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005